Judgmental confession about that non-judgmental confession thread

Options

Replies

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't really understand why so many people on here say they eat something and don't log it at all. They're not cheating the system--their bodies log it all. There were dozens, if not hundreds, of people who said that.

What is the reasoning behind that? Do they not want their friends to see? Do they think that if they don't log it, it's somehow less real? I'm not talking about the occasional "I stole my kid's french fry," I'm talking about people who eat a significant amount of unlogged food.

Maybe I just don't get it, but it seems like a good way to spin your wheels.

I weight and log even canned veggies...I am ashamed of myself ....
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I log every binge for data purposes... I don't see the point of logging either if you're not going to log the big stuff... I like knowing where I stand and see my weight change do I can adjust my calories... that's the whole point!

some of us don't need to be this stringent though and can still lose weight, so it doesn't defeat the point at all.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.

I get the exercise haters. It's not the activity (say, running or weight lifting) that I hate, it's the whole sweaty, out of breath, muscle burn, tired thing...the thing that makes exercise worth while. Anything else would of course involve the same thing.
    I enjoy those things, but if I didn't then I'd either not exercise or I'd do lower intensity. Exercise isn't required for weight loss.
    Maybe because logging Every.Single.Thing is Sofa King tedious and annoying. Just a thought.

For me, personally, I admit I'm not accurate in my logging and alot of times I'm hungry because I don't want to log. I HATE that part of the weight loss process more than anything else (well wait, maybe exercise is hated more). You said it correctly when you said our bodies log it all. That's what I really need. For me to lose weight I know I have to be a little hungry sometimes and I rather do that then log every single morsel I ingest. That being said, I try to log as best as I can but I refuse to obsess over it.

If you hate your logging experience and your exercise... then yeah, sorry, you're doing something wrong. I love my exercise routine because I do things that I enjoy. I like logging because it legit takes 2 extra seconds to weigh the food and log it and I am eating foods I love.

Outside of when I first wake up and a short time before my next meal, I'm never hungry while dieting. I'm also not obsessed over my logging, it just is something I do.. like showering or pooping.

The only time weighing has been tedious was when my scales kept dying and I had no batteries (they would die every like.. 3 weeks... on my THIRD scale now so fingers crossed this one lasts lol).

Some people just don't like things. That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing it wrong, just that these are not activities they enjoy. We all need to eat right and exercise, but none of us have to love it.

I agree that I don't love calisthenics, but I don't hate it either. If that poster simply dislikes exercise or logging, well, I get it. But hating it suggests that they need to find something better for them.

I get the exercise haters. It's not the activity (say, running or weight lifting) that I hate, it's the whole sweaty, out of breath, muscle burn, tired thing...the thing that makes exercise worth while. Anything else would of course involve the same thing.
    I enjoy those things, but if I didn't then I'd either not exercise or I'd do lower intensity. Exercise isn't required for weight loss.

I know it isn't, but it is required for bone health and to keep arthritis from becoming disabling. It's okay, though. Most of the things we do most days are out of being responsible, not because we love them.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Okay so let me clarify. I HATE dieting and exercise PERIOD. (whether it's counting calories or going on the treadmill or sit-ups etc.. All of it sucks to me. But the one thing I hate 100 times more than those things is being fat. So I'll do whatever I have to do to lose/maintain my weight. If anyone can honestly say they love and truly enjoy dieting and exercising I commend them for that. That's fantastic. I'm simply not there yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be.

And why do you hate dieting? Is it because you eat 1200 calories? Cut out foods you love? Omit food groups? Have some crazy stupid rules that are not sustainable?

What about exercise? Is it because you do like an hour of cardio every day? OR do exercises you just dislike? Granted, I used to like doing an hour of cardio every day. now I like being able to deadlift 200lbs.

The answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. Those are NOT the reasons.

Then what are your reasons? You'd do well figuring out your reasons for "hating" logging and exercise. If you simply hate logging, then opt for a different way of tracking intake that results in a calorie deficit - weight watchers, "eat clean," etc.

And for exercise... just don't do it if you're not willing to try different things to find something you enjoy.

Whatever my reasons are, they are MY reasons. Just because people are not like you does not make them wrong. If I choose to do exercises I hate then I will do them. I don't have to "find" anything. It doesn't mean I'm "not willing" it just means I'm a grownass woman and will do whatever I want and have to do. I don't have to like or enjoy every single thing I do. If you do, then again, GOOD FOR YOU! We are 2 different people.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference between not logging your cinnamon and not logging the 600-calorie sugary snack that you have late at night 4 times a week. I feel like there are a lot of people doing the latter.

Nobody's log is 100% accurate, but I feel like unless you can get it somewhere in the 90%+ accuracy range, it's really not worth bothering. There is no point in analyzing data unless your data has some reliability.
  • ashmurray1616
    ashmurray1616 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter if they log it? They still know they did it. Maybe they don't want to acknowledge that they are imperfect. Maybe they don't want people to know they were weak about what they ate. Maybe they have been working hard to reach their goal and they were giving themselves a freaking break. It doesn't matter why they did it because it is their body and their choice. JMO
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why so many people on here say they eat something and don't log it at all. They're not cheating the system--their bodies log it all. There were dozens, if not hundreds, of people who said that.

What is the reasoning behind that? Do they not want their friends to see? Do they think that if they don't log it, it's somehow less real? I'm not talking about the occasional "I stole my kid's french fry," I'm talking about people who eat a significant amount of unlogged food.

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, baby."
    -George Washington
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Logging when I'm having a high calorie day helps me stop it from being a total binge-fest. If I tell myself that I'm going to stop logging for the day because I don't want to see the red number I'm too afraid I'll go waaaay overboard instead of just a little overboard.

In other words, MFP helps me because it keeps me accountable for what I'm eating. If I stop logging when I'm having a bad day MFP stops helping me. I'm not nearly as picky as many people here, but I at least include an estimate for everything I eat. If it doesn't hurt others to skip posting more power to them.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    For me, the shame thing is kind of foreign.

I make a choice, good or bad. I have to live with that choice. Why not just log accurately and claim the choice that you have made?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Its not "my weightloss pal"...
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I didn't respond to that thread, but I don't log everything. Most days I'm good about it, but I take many days off from logging at all.

Why do I do this?

Because when I started here, weighing more than 300 pounds, I set out to not just lose weight but develop a system for maintaining that loss. When you have 130 pounds to lose, the mountain you've gotta climb is high. The idea of having to somehow log a Korean buffet or 13 course tasting menu or Christmas dinner seemed both annoying and pointless (how accurately would the log be anyway?).

Plus...I could not face logging every day for the rest of my life. I wanted to eat without concern for calories, sometimes. I wanted to enjoy a meal out without pulling out my phone to estimate the calories. I didn't want calories to rule my life, every day.

But! I figured I could probably log my calories most of the time without going insane. I precisely logged typically, but while losing I took a day or two off a month and ate how I pleased without bothering to try to guess calories. I planned these around events typically - holidays, weddings, reunions. Knowing I had these days off made it so much easier to stick to my plan, and the weight flew off.

So that's how I lost 130 pounds, and it's now I've maintained this loss for going on three years. Now I log weekdays at a deficit and don't log on the weekends. Voila - painless maintenance.

As you said, my body keeps a perfect record of what I eat for me whether I log or not. If my weight goes up, I tighten up the logging for awhile.

So my answer to your question is: I use MFP in a way that is sustainable for me in the long-term. That means logging most of the time but not every time. It keeps me sane, happy, and healthy.

I LOVE this!

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I don't log a lot of things because I don't want to. I think that's a good enough reason.

And yes, I am one of those people that don't log my huge amounts of snacks. Not a denial thing, just don't feel the need to write it down. It all works out.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There's a huge difference between not logging your cinnamon and not logging the 600-calorie sugary snack that you have late at night 4 times a week. I feel like there are a lot of people doing the latter.

Nobody's log is 100% accurate, but I feel like unless you can get it somewhere in the 90%+ accuracy range, it's really not worth bothering. There is no point in analyzing data unless your data has some reliability.

and if logging 50% of the time helps someone to lose weight and it works, who are you to tell them they did it wrong? the results are what matter in the end here, not the process.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    For me, the important thing is knowing about how many calories I've had during a day. Does that require logging every single thing and weighing to the fraction of a gram? No. As long as I have a good idea of how much I'm over or under, that's all I need. If I'm over, then I quit eating. If I'm under and I'm still hungry, I'll eat more. It is correct that the body logs everything anyway, so log accuracy really isn't that important.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm one of those people that may or may not log my binges, depending on my mood. If I can tell that it will only make things worse, I don't log it. Just try to move on and move forward. If I feel like I can handle that reality slap, I do. It really depends. I'm not 100% recovered as far as having a healthy relationship with my diet yet, so I do what I feel is necessary to foster that. More and more, I am starting to become comfortable with honesty even with the bad stuff.

ETA. There's also those "celebration" or vacation days that I have every intent on logging, but the day goes by so busily and with so many different foods, that it would be really difficult to log both in the moment and after the fact.

That being said, I'm not doing this often enough to make a real difference.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't do it often but I have done it. Mostly when I've had a mindless eating day and I just don't know. It's also a way of lying to myself about how bad a food day I really had.

I don't do it often enough where it's impacting my progress.

It's the stick your head in the sand syndrome. You know it was bad, you know ignoring it won't make it any better but you still do it.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I log nearly everything, but it is a PITA. I cook nearly everything from scratch and never follow a set recipe, so I end up logging new recipes frequently. I have 9 different entries for beef and rice (sometimes adding veggis, different fat content ground beef, etc). Recording a recipe can take 10minutes. Its ridiculous.

If I ate more 1-2 ingredient foods or prepackaged stuff, it would go faster.

Why don't you just edit the existing recipe for beef and rice in your log and keep physical versions of each recipe? I only have ~3 pages of recipes, and I am constantly editing the recipes that I do use to change or replace ingredients. I cook plenty from scratch and just log it in the diary if it's simple such as baking meat and veggies.

Or just write out the weight of every ingredient you use on paper/board as you make it, then as it's being made just log the recipe. It doesn't take 10 minutes to log recipes :/

It used to be fantastically simple to edit existing recipes. Then MFP completely borked up the recipe builder and it's making me reconsider using MFP, period. It's that bad. It drives me crazy that the recipe list is such a slog. I have an enormous computer, and with my browser window at max, I can only see 5 recipes at a time in the Recipe Box. I have 11 pages of recipes, and they took away the ability to sort (I can't fathom why), so I can't even search for them alphabetically anymore. I could go on and on (and on) about how much I hate the new recipe system, but the point still stands - recording recipes (and finding old ones) has become a vexing chore for some of us.

If you love making your own food, then MFP is kind of falling down on the job there.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't do it often but I have done it. Mostly when I've had a mindless eating day and I just don't know. It's also a way of lying to myself about how bad a food day I really had.

I don't do it often enough where it's impacting my progress.

It's the stick your head in the sand syndrome. You know it was bad, you know ignoring it won't make it any better but you still do it.

(y) That is why I don't do it. Lying to yourself is the most pointless thing.You are not going to change facts by going this.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I log every binge for data purposes... I don't see the point of logging either if you're not going to log the big stuff... I like knowing where I stand and see my weight change do I can adjust my calories... that's the whole point!

I definitely log my binges. I don't care about the data, but seeing that number after eating 5000 calories in a day gets me right back on track.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad someone voiced that same though I had in my head! Thanks obscuremusic!