Jillian Michael's 30 day shred

Options

Replies

• gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone just starting this, but not sure what to log it under any ideas?
  • AlexisMichele93
    AlexisMichele93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been asked before but I overlooked it. Can you try this at any time and really bet to get good results, or realistically should you start when you're a little used to working out? Specifically could I start it now or should I build up to it. I'm 5"8, 203, BF% around 28-29. I've been working out and eating right for about 3 weeks. I do about 5 miles on the gym's bike, some elliptical, and some strength training. I stay in the gym about an hour 4 days a week and focus on just in home stuff the other days like planks and such. I love the results I am seeing from all you ladies but not sure if I'm ready for it yet because most of the before pics still look better than me :P What do yall think?
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    gemm30 wrote: »
    Hi everyone just starting this, but not sure what to log it under any ideas?

Hi - I just log it as Circuit Training (I don't include the stretching in the number of minutes). I do several Shred-type HIIT routines and long them all under Circuit Training, but those with heart monitors and whatnot are likely getting a better idea. I'm certainly a bit lazy and imprecise (which is horrible, since I am a professor-scientist), but it seems to work for me. I hope this helps, even though it is not a great answer.
  • lynda6184
    lynda6184 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had only been going to gym for a few weeks before I started the shred. I am now on level 3 day 3. I have had my sore days but loved every second.
  • justjack18
    justjack18 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Finished day 9 of level one. I love it, especially how it goes so fast, you're never on one thing for too long. I've been losing weight too this week! I will be continuing for sure!
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been asked before but I overlooked it. Can you try this at any time and really bet to get good results, or realistically should you start when you're a little used to working out? Specifically could I start it now or should I build up to it. I'm 5"8, 203, BF% around 28-29. I've been working out and eating right for about 3 weeks. I do about 5 miles on the gym's bike, some elliptical, and some strength training. I stay in the gym about an hour 4 days a week and focus on just in home stuff the other days like planks and such. I love the results I am seeing from all you ladies but not sure if I'm ready for it yet because most of the before pics still look better than me :P What do yall think?

I started by jumping in with both feet. I don't have a gym membership but started doing cardio after Christmas when I got an elliptical. Bottom line-you can start any time.
  • jadior
    Options
    I wear a HRM to log it. :)
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Does anyone monitor how many calories they burn during these exercises? I know it would be different for everyone because of height, weight, & how much your moving but I'm just curious for a general idea on how much people are burning in this 20 minutes.
  • jadior
    Options
    day 5 level 2 finished today. I must say I like level 2 much better than level 1. Maybe because I realized I could put my music on and just watch Jillian rather than exercise without music. Who knew? (everyone except me!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Completed Level 2, day 1. Phew. My back is yelling at me for those squat-rows. But thankfully, my wrists are not yelling. Yet.

As for calculating calories: 30 day shred calorie burn - 3.267 calories burnt per pound every hour. Multiply by weight to get how many calories per hour you would burn and divide by 3 to get each 20 minute work out. ~ taken from Jillian Michaels website
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    Completed Level 2, day 1. Phew. My back is yelling at me for those squat-rows. But thankfully, my wrists are not yelling. Yet.

As for calculating calories: 30 day shred calorie burn - 3.267 calories burnt per pound every hour. Multiply by weight to get how many calories per hour you would burn and divide by 3 to get each 20 minute work out. ~ taken from Jillian Michaels website

It came up to about 170 calories for me. That's good for 20 minutes. Thank You!!

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Just completed Day Two - Level One! I am really enjoying this!

I have read on several threads about the 30DS that people who wore a heart rate monitor, and then logged it as "Circuit Training" seem to find the numbers pretty close. I don't have a HRM right now (battery is dead!) so I have just been using 20 mins of Circuit Training to log, based on those reviews.

I have timed it with a stopwatch and the exercises actually go for 26 minutes if you include warm up and cool down, but I only log 20 minutes because the number MFP gives seems pretty generous.

If I use the formula of 3.267 cals burned per hour (Jillian Michaels website), I would be burning 260 in a 20 minute work out. MFP gives me 290 for 20 mins of circuit training so... I just won't log the extra 6 minutes of warm up/cool down, I figure the 30 cal difference about covers it :)
  • rrsimons2015
    rrsimons2015 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    rexkt wrote: »
    Just finished the shred in just about 6 weeks and here are my results!
    *I also stuck to a 1500 calorie a day diet and did at least days of cardio kettle bell with the shred.

Weight: down 21.6 lbs
    rexkt wrote: »

Wow those are phenomenal results! Congratulations!
    Could you clarify how many days of cardio kettle bell training you did along with the shred DVD?
  • rrsimons2015
    rrsimons2015 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @rexkt sorry I don't know yet how to quote part of a post properly. Here's my message:

Wow those are phenomenal results! Congratulations!
    Could you clarify how many days of cardio kettle bell training you did along with the shred DVD?
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    sorry I don't know yet how to quote part of a post properly.

at the bottom of each post there is the date, flag, and "quote"... click that to quote the person's text :)
  • abir888
    abir888 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i'm in day 7 of level one ... second time for this shred.. i'm losing inches but not weight.. i would like to know the right way to eat before and after working out .. should i eat something before this workout or not?? and when to have my break fast after?
  • abir888
    abir888 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @DaneanP sorry i didn't get what you said ..if my weight is 69.2 kg how many calories i burn per each workout?
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    abir888 wrote: »
    @DaneanP sorry i didn't get what you said ..if my weight is 69.2 kg how many calories i burn per each workout?

Just convert kg to pounds. If my math is correct, you are burning 166 calories per workout.

• lynda6184
    Options
    abir888 wrote: »
    i'm in day 7 of level one ... second time for this shred.. i'm losing inches but not weight.. i would like to know the right way to eat before and after working out .. should i eat something before this workout or not?? and when to have my break fast after?

I do my shred about 20 mins after my morning cuppa. No food before I do it and usually afterwards I ain't hungry.
  • lynda6184
    Options
    Day 5 of level 3 done. :D