What was the last straw?

Options

Replies

• Mandea0321
    Mandea0321 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Realizing my size 20 pants were starting to get too small. I refused to buy new pants in a bigger size.
  • Idefinenichelle
    Idefinenichelle Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    lmbs1966 wrote: »
    Emdjoker64 wrote: »
    I just got so tired of feeling disgusted with myself. I don't care how other people see me, it's how I see me. And I am not happy with the way I look. So in order for me to be happy I have to lose weight.

Mee too! My exact thoughts, and only I can do the changing!

Agreed!!!

• Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale after avoiding weighing myself for months and seeing the number 176 appear.
  • mjhellmers
    mjhellmers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had been off and on for the last few years...lose a little, gain more back. Got on the scale January 4th this year and saw 311.
  • dominica_maria
    dominica_maria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    my sister asking me to be her maid of honor!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I was having trouble getting motivated to lose the 20 lbs I gained while pregnant. Started doing Crossfit, and I realized how much easier a lot of the exercises would be if I lost weight, so that finally triggered me to get my diet in shape as well.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I was sitting at my computer in the office one night when I realized my pants were digging into my stomach they were so tight. A couple of days later I stepped on the scale and found I was 5 pounds heavier than I thought. That, after being at my all-time highest after having 4 kids and never losing the "baby" weight. I decided it was time. There was no way I was going out to buy bigger pants.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    Watching obese people 15 years older than me really struggle with health issues. I figured at 47 I had some time to change my future before it got too late.

Similar story. An older friend of mine who was fit enough to play squash with me 20 years ago got to the point of needing both hips replaced. She became practically house bound. She has since had most of her stomach removed. I didn't want to become disabled.

I've lost 30kg through diet and exercise and I'm much more active now.
  • SweetAzn
    SweetAzn Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I ran out of pants that fit. I refused to go buy a size bigger.

So I wore dresses and my loosest tight pants for a few weeks while I initially dropped some pounds.

Now I'm 3 sizes smaller and don't have any pants that fit, because they are all too big!

This was my last straw too! My jeans started fitting really tightly and uncomfortable and I absolutely refused to go buy a size up! Great job on your weight loss!
  • chelseabrown11
    chelseabrown11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hiking up a really steep trail and having to stop and turn around because I was too uncomfortable to continue.

I was with my in-laws and I was the second youngest in the group at 26, with several people over 60, and I was trailing behind barely able to breathe while everyone else seemed like it didn't affect them at all. We were 1 mile in, with 1.5 more to go till the top, and when no one was looking I pretended to twist my ankle mildly just so I had an excuse to quit and go back on my own. It really brought it to my attention how out of shape I was. I've since lost 50 pounds (5'6" 166lbs now) and went back to that trail and finished it. The view was great.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hiking up a really steep trail and having to stop and turn around because I was too uncomfortable to continue.

I was with my in-laws and I was the second youngest in the group at 26, with several people over 60, and I was trailing behind barely able to breathe while everyone else seemed like it didn't affect them at all. We were 1 mile in, with 1.5 more to go till the top, and when no one was looking I pretended to twist my ankle mildly just so I had an excuse to quit and go back on my own. It really brought it to my attention how out of shape I was. I've since lost 50 pounds (5'6" 166lbs now) and went back to that trail and finished it. The view was great.

Good for you!
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Weighed myself at a New Year's Even party, a few minutes after midnight. I thought I was looking pretty good that night, considering how fat I'd felt for the last few years. Turns out I was 220 lbs. It was heart-stopping, and I had to stand at the sink and tell myself to stop crying so I wouldn't make a scene when I went back out to the party. Resolved to change things then, and I'm down 55 lbs since. 45 more to go.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Sitting at home one night by myself. I just realized that my life was passing me by, and if I didn't change something, this was going to be the rest of my life: sitting at home alone watching tv. I didn't want that, so the very next day, I finally got the strength to stop using food to numb my feelings.

Best decision I ever made. Im LIVING now, not just existing.
  • ATEAM177
    ATEAM177 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have always had high self esteem but now I almost hate looking in the mirror. When I can't stand to look at myself...it's time for a change. Also, I have a son and two daughters and they are now entering the late elementary/early middle school ages, I don't want them to be embarrassed when their mom comes around. I want to set an exam for my girls to live healthy and happy lives. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
  • Allison4C
    Allison4C Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1) Going from normal BMI to overweight - never been there before!!! 2) Being asked if I was pregnant (I am not) 3) Having to buy the largest size they make at J Crew (12)
  • aquirico
    aquirico Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It wasn't having a little girl and realizing what a role model I would need to be.
    It wasn't my husband calling me on the carpet and telling me I needed to do something because I wasn't the same girl he fell in love with.
    It wasn't watching each year roll by and each missed goal making me feel worse and worse.

It was being diagnosed with sleep apnea and having to use the stupid CPAP machine every night to breathe. I hate it and I want it to go away.
    It was watching my mother deteriorate to a state where she can't walk half a block or stand in the kitchen long enough to cook dinner. She's only 65.
    It was not being able to look at myself in a mirror without hatred at my sheer laziness.

I will use the CPAP, which has been promised to give me more restful sleep and more energy during the day.
    I will go to the gym that I joined 4-5 days a week and try new things.
    I will convert my diet to a keto diet and see what the loss of carbs will do to my body.

I will do this for me and for no one else. They just get the benefit of the results.
  • tripamy
    tripamy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was tired all the time. I realized that I've been "rewarding" and comforting myself with fast-food. And then there's vanity. I turned 40, and I want to feel great about myself. I want to lose 20 pounds.
  • lesstratford
    lesstratford Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I died, they brought me back and I woke up.
  • tufztuf
    tufztuf Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There's a certain weight that when I hit it, I always freak out, get on a diet and lose the extra weight. I always know that eventually I'll get careless again and will hit that weight again. What I need to do is LOWER that "certain weight" so that I freak out sooner and don't have to own three sizes of clothes at all times.
  • wildkat28
    wildkat28 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am just tired. Tired of having big arms and not wearing tank tops, tired of looking like a tent in pictures because of my large upper body and just tired or being tired. I was hovering too close to 200 but don't remember being below 186. Got a pool this year, I am going tocget tocmy goal weight of 155-165 and go from there!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!