Did I sabotage my diet plan?

Options

Replies

• HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wow, what's with all of the negativity here? She asked a simple question. I for one think it's wonderful that the OP is trying to eat healthier. So what if she called it a detox? From the sound of it (1500 calories a day, all whole foods and veggies), it sounds very healthy.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    just wanted to add that there are some legitimate purposes to 'detoxes'. I have severe allergies - many of them foods - and because they present differently than most food allergies, they hadn't been discovered by allergy testing. I was extremely sick even though I was eating 'healthfully' about 15 years ago now. I asked a friend who was a nurse help me create a diet to detox my body - i wasn't looking to lose weight - i was looking to elimiante whatever was making me feel crappy. It was one of the best decisions of my life, because I discovered all my food allergies and am now healthier than i ever have been, from avoiding these foods.

I think you might be confusing detox with an elimination diet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Who is in for some chelation therapy?

#detox
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    just wanted to add that there are some legitimate purposes to 'detoxes'. I have severe allergies - many of them foods - and because they present differently than most food allergies, they hadn't been discovered by allergy testing. I was extremely sick even though I was eating 'healthfully' about 15 years ago now. I asked a friend who was a nurse help me create a diet to detox my body - i wasn't looking to lose weight - i was looking to elimiante whatever was making me feel crappy. It was one of the best decisions of my life, because I discovered all my food allergies and am now healthier than i ever have been, from avoiding these foods.

this. your body processing food and then not eating any more of said food is not a detox.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    HereLieWe wrote: »
    Wow, what's with all of the negativity here? She asked a simple question. I for one think it's wonderful that the OP is trying to eat healthier. So what if she called it a detox? From the sound of it (1500 calories a day, all whole foods and veggies), it sounds very healthy.

did you miss the part where she was restricting pasta...?

but thanks for your opinion
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

The only issue is that she may understand what she meant, but newbies who come after her and read this thread won't know what she meant. For their sake, we want to be clear that there is no such thing as a "detox" diet, and many of those diets touted as such are very harmful. Her diet sounds fine, from what little she's shared, and she's welcome to call it whatever she likes, so long as those who come after know that it is not a detox diet.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

and only allowed to eat meat in the form of fish. i still can't wrap my head around that one.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

and only allowed to eat meat in the form of fish. i still can't wrap my head around that one.

And no mention of dietary fat...
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I'm also restricting pasta, since I'm trying out Atkins.

I mean, if it works for her and it's reasonably healthy, I don't see the problem with restricting certain foods.
  • blktngldhrt
    edited February 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

And no mention of dietary fat...

trainer wanted her to detox the wrong fats, i believe.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I mean, if it works for her and it's reasonably healthy, I don't see the problem with restricting certain foods.

The problem is that you can be healthy and not restrict anything, if you choose.

From what we know, which isn't much, this is a very restrictive diet. OP says herself she has a hard time staying on the wagon. Why make it harder by labeling foods as bad.

And I'm not even getting into the fact that there is no need to "detox" or "prepare" the body to lift heavier weights. As long as the OP is maintaining a reasonable deficit (if weight loss is her goal) and getting a good balance of protein, carbs and fats, that's all she needs to do.

And a diet without dietary fat? Horrible, horrible plan.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

this. your body processing food and then not eating any more of said food is not a detox.

Some detox diets are very similiar to elimination diet i.e. wild rose - gets rid of gluten, yeast, anything fermented, dairy, high glycemic index foods, organic only, etc. Going on a pre-cleanse diet like wild rose could helps some people identify food intolerances or possible difficulties with sugar (through lowering carbs). An elimination diet has helped a lot of people I know, but they are only really necessary when someone is having symptoms of a possible food intolerance/chemical sensitivities/insulin resistance i.e. tummy troubles, headaches, fatigue, irritability, cognitive problems etc.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

because restriction can hamper a persons efforts. not everyone is the same.

the point was that the trainer sounded sketchy and people were warning the OP that there were a few red flags concerning the information she was given.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

The problem is that you can be healthy and not restrict anything, if you choose.

From what we know, which isn't much, this is a very restrictive diet. OP says herself she has a hard time staying on the wagon. Why make it harder by labeling foods as bad.

And I'm not even getting into the fact that there is no need to "detox" or "prepare" the body to lift heavier weights. As long as the OP is maintaining a reasonable deficit (if weight loss is her goal) and getting a good balance of protein, carbs and fats, that's all she needs to do.

And a diet without dietary fat? Horrible, horrible plan.

I have a friend who did an all fruit diet. Tried to sell it to me and told me about the side effects. Yeah one side effect alone told me told to tell him stop with this ridiculous way of eating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

because it is totally unnecessary barring a medical condition.

plus her trainer recommended a two week diet to get ready for training which is BS ..

I really don't feel like rehashing everything that was wrong with the first four pages...

additionally, OP never truly clarified what this plan is. It started as a detox and then morphed into a "pre-training" diet...whatever that is..
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

Some detox diets are very similiar to elimination diet i.e. wild rose - gets rid of gluten, yeast, anything fermented, dairy, high glycemic index foods, organic only, etc. Going on a pre-cleanse diet like wild rose could helps some people identify food intolerances or possible difficulties with sugar (through lowering carbs). An elimination diet has helped a lot of people I know, but they are only really necessary when someone is having symptoms of a possible food intolerance/chemical sensitivities/insulin resistance i.e. tummy troubles, headaches, fatigue, irritability, cognitive problems etc.

An elimination diet consists of removing suspected allergens from one's diet ... it has nothing to do with eating wild rose or anything esle to "detox" the body.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/allergies-elimination-diet

Once again ...
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

because restriction can hamper a persons efforts. not everyone is the same.

the point was that the trainer sounded sketchy and people were warning the OP that there were a few red flags concerning the information she was given.

Agreed.

By saying you are "detoxing" by restricting certain foods (like pasta, sugar, meat, etc), it implies that these foods are "toxic" and detrimental to your health/progress. It doesn't teach sustainability for those that are not informed about why cutting out foods might seemingly increase their weight loss.

I.E - cutting out carbs might seem faster but it's more due to the depletion of glycogen. Also replacing certain foods with those that are less calorie dense just makes/increases the deficit you are eating at. It's not that those foods are good or bad, because food in general isn't good or bad.

That's another problem with labeling things as toxic or claiming doing X-Diet will detox you. It's creating a mind frame in which you demonize certain foods. Especially as the OP has stated she has issues with giving up after one mishap, pushing this mind frame is just going to make it worse (speaking from experience).
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

Gluten, yeast, dairy et al are not toxins.

Detoxify = removing toxins from your body.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Dont skip a meal, just continue whatever you planned.