Did I sabotage my diet plan?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I missed the only fish part. What the heck is that going to do??

Apparently fish protein is ok, but chicken and pork is EVIL. The guy would probably lose his mind if steak was involved. Mmmmmm.....steak.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    MrM27, that post is exactly my point.

You, presented with zero information on the suggested diet - for all you know, the "detox" could have been "sign up with MFP and eat the calories suggested" - say to fire the trainer, which for somebody lost and confused is easily read as "fire your trainer who you are probably paying lots of money for because you hired an idiot, and therefore, you yourself are probably an idiot."

It's not helpful, in any way.

You don't even know if the trainer is the one who used the word detox! It's such a hot buzz word in every magazine and TV show that for all we know, the trainer suggested a diet and the OP or someone else labeled it a detox. We know so few facts here (a fault of the OP, to be fair) that the criticism here is unjustified. I think it is fair to critique the lack of information, but not fair to criticism what you GUESS that information to be.

So..what about the two week wait of diet/detoxing before training starts?? That doesn't sound like a red flag to you? No more information was necessary to determine that this trainer sounds sketchy.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Help with ability to swim, obvs.
  • KirstyBorg
    KirstyBorg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm already working out but not 100% pushing myself.

I did not ask if my 2 week plan was right or not.
    All I wanted to know is if I just ignore the day and continue tomorrow or skip my lunch since I had too much chocolate and continue on my diet.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'd get back on the original plan, but if you are really concerned about the impact of the chocolate fountain ask the trainer who advised you in the first place.
    facepalm-gif.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You, presented with zero information on the suggested diet - for all you know, the "detox" could have been "sign up with MFP and eat the calories suggested" - say to fire the trainer, which for somebody lost and confused is easily read as "fire your trainer who you are probably paying lots of money for because you hired an idiot, and therefore, you yourself are probably an idiot."

You don't even know if the trainer is the one who used the word detox! It's such a hot buzz word in every magazine and TV show that for all we know, the trainer suggested a diet and the OP or someone else labeled it a detox. We know so few facts here (a fault of the OP, to be fair) that the criticism here is unjustified. I think it is fair to critique the lack of information, but not fair to criticism what you GUESS that information to be.

first, no legit trainer should be recommending a detox of any kind.

secondly, no legit trainer should say that you need a two week "diet" to get ready for training...

third, the amount of white knighting in this thread is hilarious...
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristy! I know some of the responses here seem really aggressive and critical, but please don't think it's directed at you. People on the forums really do have your best interest at heart, they get so enthusiastic about stuff like this because they have a lot of collective experience and recognize red flags when they see them. It really, really isn't aimed at you!

It's more directed at the fact a trainer would encourage any sort of restrictive dieting(I saw he said no bread/pasta) as it would make any sort of difference. If you're eating a generally balanced diet filled with the appropriate micros and macros, it's totally fine to eat anything as long as it all lines up with your calorie goals.

Trainers really aren't going to know what's best to eat from a professional standpoint (though it's not at all harmful to ask for opinions, but take it with a grain of salt) nutritionally, unless they also happen to be registered dietitians. Eating a balanced diet and drinking appropriate water will flush any excess water retention you have right on it's own. If you're really interested in how to best adjust your food intake, it might be incredibly helpful and informative to make an appointment with a registered dietitian(R.D.) and let them know what your new fitness goals are, and they'll get you set right up!

Also? Listen to your body! Try to figure out what foods keep you really satiated and contented when you eat. Some people are totally fine eating something like a bowl of cereal and milk for breakfast, while others would be starving after an hour of that. What kind of macro/micro-nutrient breakdowns help you feel very satisfied when you eat? I myself have noticed that meals with a healthy protein(lean meats especially,) or lots of fibre(beans in this case!) always leave me wonderfully satisfied for 4-5 hours depending on my activity level for the day, where as some other people might be perfectly content eating a bowl of soup.

Good luck on meeting your goals!
  • dbmata
    Options
    THERE'S A CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN AND I MISSED IT?!

chocolate+fountain+photo.JPG
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    KirstyBorg wrote: »

All I wanted to know is if I just ignore the day and continue tomorrow or skip my lunch since I had too much chocolate and continue on my diet.

You should ignore that diet. *nod*
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "detox" and no such thing as "jumpstart."

Ugh.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

That one appears to have a caramel side. Now, I'm not a chocolate person, but a caramel fountain? STEP ASIDE, MAMA'S GOING IN!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

tumblr_inline_njzoieE4tf1qf08gp.gif

...and lost credibility.

QFT award!
    i534pzgds1m7.png
  • dbmata
    Options
    Do it.

Dive-Mask-and-Snorkel.jpg
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Help with ability to swim, obvs.

I should have gone to a pool yesterday. Darn.

I wouldn't skip lunch.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

first, no legit trainer should be recommending a detox of any kind.

secondly, no legit trainer should say that you need a two week "diet" to get ready for training...

third, the amount of white knighting in this thread is hilarious...

Truth hurts too much.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Ha! Hilarious!
    I currently have weights 12.5-15 kgs and he is going to help me push myself more.

Unfortunately, I'm the kind of person that as soon as I have a cheat meal I give up. But I'm learning slowly

And this, right here, is WHY people discourage the detox mentality and the quick weight loss jump start, booster stupidity. Eat at a deficit. Get enough protein.

Ramen!
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

I'd go off keto for that!!.. Or cyclical keto
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

That one appears to have a caramel side. Now, I'm not a chocolate person, but a caramel fountain? STEP ASIDE, MAMA'S GOING IN!

I'm coming with you!

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Oh that is the thing dreams are made of!! Imma join the other person in the caramel. NOM!!
    randomtai wrote: »
    Wow, I had this app for 2 years and I only recently started using the committee for support.
    But it seems like a lot of people are very negative and a bit aggressive too.

This is generic: if you don't have any positive criticism please keep your comments to yourself

Rainbow farts and unicorns

See my profile pic. Unicorns fart rainbows, and I think they smell of cotton candy. :mrgreen:

And speaking of white knights and unicorns...

White_Knight.jpg
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Wow, I had this app for 2 years and I only recently started using the committee for support.
    But it seems like a lot of people are very negative and a bit aggressive too.

This is generic: if you don't have any positive criticism please keep your comments to yourself

It's not being negative to point out you are being given very poor advice on diet from a person who isn't qualified to give that advice. People are trying to help you.

Would you take your laptop to a car mechanic for repair?

I like reading the Community, I've never yet started a question for the reasons you describe. You will get a lot of well-meaning, (I would hope) yet different opinions. Even when making a comment you get someone who disagrees, but that is to be expected. So many experts.