Did I sabotage my diet plan?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The thread is now renamed to eliminate the word "detox" but we still don't have details of what this "diet plan" consists of.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    KirstyBorg wrote: »
    It is common to associate detox to a soup or juice diet which isn't the case here. It is just a 2 weeks plan to get my body full of the right nutrition sit needs to have great workouts without harming muscles and keeping me fit to workout more.
    He uses the word detox because I don't have any pasta or bread or meat apart from fish (3 times a day) for these 2 weeks (I have carbs in porridge, broccoli and so on)

His use of the word is incorrect..hence all of the warnings that he may not be the best person to consult in regards to nutrition.

To detox is to remove toxic substances..what toxic substances are you removing??

So... he is misusing a word which, when used, constitutes advice that you disagree with, and thus is NOT giving the advice you disagree with. And because he's not giving bad advice, she should fire him?

WTF?

Your avi doesn't reflect your attitude at all, not one bit.

He is feeding her nonsense and anyone that has been involved in fitness and nutrition for a little while and has bothered to learn clearly can see that.

I agree with you that this trainer's advice is not the best... nor is it the worst ever.

I disagree with the approach of people in this thread which, by virtue of their aggressiveness and rudeness, loses the opportunity to politely educate the poster and make positive changes.

Being helpful and welcoming is not the same as the "rainbows and unicorn farts" nonsense that people make it out to be.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm not on a soup diet! It's full of fish, veg, vitamins, fruit, fat free yogurt.
    Loads of healthy food to to prepare me for workouts for my joints and muscles
    Working out prepares your joints and muscles.

lol. Detox.

Aw, OP, I'm sorry. You got took.

See this generation needs to change so some people like OP would know better because it would be common knowledge.
    The thing is though, there's always been people who have gotten took. Others who want to get took.

and a healthy population of takers. It's an ecosystem unto itself. Like the weak fuel the ambition of the strong, the marks fuel the ambitions of the thieves.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what does a two week detox have to do with starting a training regimen? Why can't you start training now? Are your kidney's and liver broke?

I would ditch this guy ASAP....
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It is common to associate detox to a soup or juice diet which isn't the case here. It is just a 2 weeks plan to get my body full of the right nutrition sit needs to have great workouts without harming muscles and keeping me fit to workout more.
    He uses the word detox because I don't have any pasta or bread or meat apart from fish (3 times a day) for these 2 weeks (I have carbs in porridge, broccoli and so on)

Why can't you eat meat and certain carbs? Those things aren't bad for you. It's a little concerning to some of us, that have been here for a while, that a "professional" is giving out advice like this. The only change I can see being recommended in a diet to prepare for lifting is to increase your protein. The rest just isn't necessary, you know?
    Lots of salt, sugar, alcohol and the wrong fat

There's no way you could eat that would change the way your body already processes these things. So again, this is a red flag.

What people are trying to tell you is that the things your trainer is having you do are unnecessary. I think it's really important to work with someone that gives reasonable, sound advice. If he's wrong about the diet, what else is wrong about?

I'm sorry if you feel attacked or something, but everyone is posting out of concern. You're trusting this person with the health and well being of your body - and there are a lot of concerning recommendations from this one.

Good luck.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen his qualifications but I'll ask

Lolz.... And people wonder why they get taken all the time.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ok! Let's not call it 'detox ' but a 2 week diet to get rid of water retention and to have appropriate nutrition for intensive workouts

still dumb...

you can just drink plenty of water and it will release water retention ..

and what does getting rid of water retention have to do with getting ready for training?
  • randomtai
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

His use of the word is incorrect..hence all of the warnings that he may not be the best person to consult in regards to nutrition.

To detox is to remove toxic substances..what toxic substances are you removing??

So... he is misusing a word which, when used, constitutes advice that you disagree with, and thus is NOT giving the advice you disagree with. And because he's not giving bad advice, she should fire him?

WTF?

Your avi doesn't reflect your attitude at all, not one bit.

He is feeding her nonsense and anyone that has been involved in fitness and nutrition for a little while and has bothered to learn clearly can see that.

I agree with you that this trainer's advice is not the best... nor is it the worst ever.

I disagree with the approach of people in this thread which, by virtue of their aggressiveness and rudeness, loses the opportunity to politely educate the poster and make positive changes.

Being helpful and welcoming is not the same as the "rainbows and unicorn farts" nonsense that people make it out to be.

No one was rude... that is your perception.
  • Zedeff
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27, that post is exactly my point.

You, presented with zero information on the suggested diet - for all you know, the "detox" could have been "sign up with MFP and eat the calories suggested" - say to fire the trainer, which for somebody lost and confused is easily read as "fire your trainer who you are probably paying lots of money for because you hired an idiot, and therefore, you yourself are probably an idiot."

It's not helpful, in any way.

You don't even know if the trainer is the one who used the word detox! It's such a hot buzz word in every magazine and TV show that for all we know, the trainer suggested a diet and the OP or someone else labeled it a detox. We know so few facts here (a fault of the OP, to be fair) that the criticism here is unjustified. I think it is fair to critique the lack of information, but not fair to criticism what you GUESS that information to be.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I agree that aside from limiting meat to only fish which I don't fully understand, it doesn't sound like the worst meal plan. Not one that you really had to pay someone to tell you to eat but not, you know, crazy. But then he used that word...

tumblr_inline_njzoieE4tf1qf08gp.gif

...and lost credibility.

But no, OP one day won't derail you. The same way that choosing not to follow this plan and to eat the things you like in moderation will not derail you either. Eat at a deficit, move more, lift things and find something that works for you that is easy to stick to.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    That post is exactly my point.

You, presented with zero information on the suggested diet - for all you know, the "detox" could have been "sign up with MFP and eat the calories suggested" - say to fire the trainer, which for somebody lost and confused is easily read as "fire your trainer who you are probably paying lots of money for because you hired an idiot, and therefore, you yourself are probably an idiot."

You don't even know if the trainer is the one who used the word detox! It's such a hot buzz word in every magazine and TV show that for all we know, the trainer suggested a diet and the OP or someone else labeled it a detox. We know so few facts here (a fault of the OP, to be fair) that the criticism here is unjustified. I think it is fair to critique the lack of information, but not fair to criticism what you GUESS that information to be.

lot of comedians on mfp. I like your brand of comedy as well.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

How did I miss this gem?

So, you are going to start a heavier lifting program (yay) but you can't eat meat? What? And what about dietary fat? That's necessary for proper body function - even going to the bathroom.

tumblr_inline_njtvo7zHrM1qgt12i.gif
  • Zedeff
    Options
    I try to be entertaining. Available for all of your birthday parties, bar mitvahs and wakes!
  • margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Unless you have consumed poisons or heavy metals, there is no such thing as detoxification.

You are right! A detox from not training your brain to think correctly is needed! Most people don't know how to say NO to their brain.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I am sorry but this is just idiotic...you don't need a two week "pre-diet" to get your muscles ready.

The last time I bulked I just jumped into a surplus, after eating in a deficit, and kept lifting. I did not have any adverse affects, nor did I need to get my "muscles ready" for training.

Your PT has a PHD in broscience....

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    MrM27, that post is exactly my point.

Except you're wrong:
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I missed the only fish part. What the heck is that going to do??
  • mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'd get back on the original plan, but if you are really concerned about the impact of the chocolate fountain ask the trainer who advised you in the first place.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I'd get back on the original plan, but if you are really concerned about the impact of the chocolate fountain ask the trainer who advised you in the first place.

No... just no.