March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I run the best on the TM when I do it barefoot...

You're brave my friend... I dance barefoot-at the gym- and in restaurants- so yeah I dirty dirty... but I'm not sure I'd be willing to run barefoot on a treadmill at a public gym!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Six glorious miles in the warm sun with a stupid pollyanna I-love-life (and running) grin on my face the whole time. I cut it off at six miles due to mommy guilt. I need to get the kids out into this day. Will update my ticker later. xo I hope y'all have a great day!
  • cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    01- rest sick
    02- rest still sick
    03- 3.6 miles TM
    04- 3.74 miles TM
    05- 3.84 miles TM
    06- 4.08 miles TM
    07- 1.4 miles OUTSIDE 3.7 TM
    08- rest day (maybe)

I forgot to update yesterday. Well, @LoneWolfRunner‌ @Runningmischka‌ @shanaber‌ @Elise4270‌ @Stoshew71‌ @gabbo34‌ I did it. I ran outside yesterday and it was GLORIOUS! Lol. Although it was pretty short lived as my little companion got tired riding her scooter. We made it 20 minutes. So I did do a treadmill run after we got home to finish it up. I do need somewhere a little more scenic, houses are boring scenery. But thank you all for the push to get my *kitten* out the door. I think today will be a rest day, maybe. I'll take my girl on a nice long adventure on some walking trails and try and find a good place for this momma to run! Have a great weekend all!!

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    Options

exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    Options

I did that once when I forgot my shoes and was desperate for the run ... got shin splints from the experience and didn't run for a couple weeks afterwards. My feet are definitely arch support-dependent.
  • Mkhoran13
    Mkhoran13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Rhythm & Blues 5k this morning!!

Right on track for 25 miles this month.

exercise.png
  • johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    March 1 -Rest
    March 2 - 4 miles
    March 3 - 5.1 miles (furthest run to date)
    March 4-6th - Rest arches, I pulled them jumping rope.
    March 7 - 4 miles OUTSIDE!!! It was so warm here, I was surprised!
    March 8 - 4 miles (plus a hike on the mountain)

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

You're brave my friend... I dance barefoot-at the gym- and in restaurants- so yeah I dirty dirty... but I'm not sure I'd be willing to run barefoot on a treadmill at a public gym!

Perhaps in socks then? I bet some that have grip on them can be found, like a yoga sock. Or the goofy monkey feet shoes (vibram). Think there are some relatively cheep ones out there now.

Edit- or reevaluate your shoe. I was running in a 4mm drop shoe and it was excruciating, changed to a 10, and its improved. Just my two cents, but I haven figured it out yet. And/or there's an app, Ubersense, that allows you to analize your running. Perhaps it'd be useful in identifying weakness's /imbalances.

I can't run very long on the treadmill because of the calf pain too. If i adjust the incline up, it only makes it worse... So I'm glad to know that this is fairly normal, even thought I am not. . I'm trying the barefoot run, we have a treadmill ordered for home.

@cooter_mom‌ way to go! That fresh air is invigorating!
  • madube84
    madube84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @fabnine‌ Thanks!! I am so glad I took pictures - there is actually only a 1 pound scale weight difference in the pics. But the pic clearly shows progress!! Without the pic I probably would have been discouraged by the 1 pound. Cant wait to see what day 60 looks like! :smiley:

exercise.png

3/1 – 3.1 miles
    3/2 –
    3/3 – 1 mile
    3/4 –
    3/5 - .5 mile
    3/6 – 2.2 miles
    3/7 – 1 mile
    3/8 – 3.1 miles

Goal: 30 miles
    Completed: 10.9 miles
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

3/1 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 2.25 miles - walking
    3/2 - 1 mile - running, 1 mile - walking, and another 2 miles - walking
    3/3 - 5 miles - walking ***that single mile of running was a mistake***
    3/4 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.5 miles - walking
    3/5 - 2.25 miles - walking
    3/6 - 1.75 miles - walking
    3/7 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.75 miles - walking
    3/8 - 2.1 miles - walking, and another 4.25 miles - walking
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    __Date___ Miles
    Mar 1 ___ 3.5am 7°F + 6.1pm 26°F - it's almost maple sugar weather!
    Mar 2 ___ 5.7 with friends + 3.6 alone
    Mar 3 ___ 1.4 streak + strength training
    Mar 4 ___ 5.1 with friend + 3.5 alone
    Mar 5 ___ 2.3 + strength training
    Mar 6 ___ 8.8am alone + 4.6pm w/friend
    Mar 7 ___ 3.1
    Mar 8 ___ 12.5 cloudy, then snowy, then sunny all in the same run

Month total= 60.1 running miles __104.9 remaining

exercise.png

Current Streak: 196days = 1235.3miles

• nate1618
    nate1618 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Goal: 40 miles

3/3: 3.06 miles (Treadmill)
    3/5: 2.52 miles (Treadmill)
    3/7: 4.01 miles (Treadmill)

Total: 9.59 miles
    Remaining: 30.41 miles
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    March 1 - 5K - 3rd place in my age group. Not my best time, but happy with it! 29:07
    March 2- rest
    March 3- 5.05 miles and strength training
    March 4 - 5.09 miles
    March 5 - 5.13 miles
    March 6 - strength training
    March 7 - 34 miles Biking - brutal winds today. I couldn’t keep up around the lake.
    March 8 - 71 miles biking. Beautiful day out but that was too long.
    March 9 - rest

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @cooter_mom, @Runningmiscka, @ddmom0811, @fabnine, @SBRRepeat... thank you... :) That book is swirling around in there somewhere....

@Elise4270... ;)

Good! I'll buy it! It's easier to publish a book now because you can publish an e-book. You could start it by journaling.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @Deathy13‌ - how was the 5K? Hope you had a great run!
    @cooter_mom‌ - see! We would not lead you astray! Maybe you could run some of those walking trails?
    @4leighbee‌, @Elise4270‌, @JoRocka‌ - running on the TM makes my shins and calves hurt shoes or no shoes. My legs and feet are also arch dependent although I have found running barefoot on the beach to be a great strength exercise for my calves, feet and especially arches. Initially they ached afterwards but now they are fine. I have also switched to 0 drop running shoes as they were the only shoes that I could run in w/o pain after I tore the fascia in my left foot. They also made my shins and calves hurt initially until I got used to them.
    @madube84‌ - you are making great progress and it does show!
    @fabnine‌ - 60 miles already with only one week on the books! You are awesome!

Think I will post one last beach picture... only because this one from today shows all the ships lined up to unload their cargo. They are still all backed up from the dock workers strike a few weeks ago. You can also see one of the Channel Islands in the background - most likely Catalina. @fabnine‌ - this one is for you - come run here with me!

o6m9z6133dtd.jpg

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Perhaps in socks then? I bet some that have grip on them can be found, like a yoga sock. Or the goofy monkey feet shoes (vibram). Think there are some relatively cheep ones out there now.

Edit- or reevaluate your shoe. I was running in a 4mm drop shoe and it was excruciating, changed to a 10, and its improved. Just my two cents, but I haven figured it out yet. And/or there's an app, Ubersense, that allows you to analize your running. Perhaps it'd be useful in identifying weakness's /imbalances.

I can't run very long on the treadmill because of the calf pain too. If i adjust the incline up, it only makes it worse... So I'm glad to know that this is fairly normal, even thought I am not. . I'm trying the barefoot run, we have a treadmill ordered for home.

@cooter_mom‌ way to go! That fresh air is invigorating!

Herm- interesting.

I have minimalist shoes- new balance and vibrams and I'm generally quiet happy in them- I should drag my vibrams out (they have been in hibernation for a while)- and see if that improves the situation on the mill.

I'm really hoping (fingers crossed) that I can just run outside- and I won't have to worry about it to much- and only doing short runs on the weekday. Long runs are no bueno!
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    01 Mar - 2.56
    02 Mar - 2.00
    03 Mar - rest
    04 Mar - 5.02
    05 Mar - rest
    06 Mar - rest
    07 Mar - 1.83
    08 Mar - 6.22 (10K :) ) nice steady run with the last of the sun and just as it set and dusk fell... was running towards a pedestrian walking in the opposite direction heading towards me, thinking he had seen/heard me. Got about 10 strides away from him and realised he had no idea I was there and he was looking at the pavement - so I said "Hello!"... he jumped about a foot sideways and replied "HELLO!" - poor guy I thought he as going to have a heart attack. I felt like I was blowing a bit hard and thought he would easily hear me - but obviously I had accidentally engaged ninja mode!

exercise.png

Edited to add: @shanaber - beautiful photo! :)
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Week 1: 6 miles
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @4leighbee‌, @Elise4270‌, @JoRocka‌ - running on the TM makes my shins and calves hurt shoes or no shoes. My legs and feet are also arch dependent although I have found running barefoot on the beach to be a great strength exercise for my calves, feet and especially arches. Initially they ached afterwards but now they are fine. I have also switched to 0 drop running shoes as they were the only shoes that I could run in w/o pain after I tore the fascia in my left foot. They also made my shins and calves hurt initially until I got used to them.

Every year, my idealized notion of me running on the beach is always more romantic than the reality ends up being ... maybe I don't give it enough time. How long would you say it took for your legs to adapt? I don't have ready access to a beach, so I have a couple weeks at a time through the summer.
  • timetolosewt
    timetolosewt Posts: 6 Member
    Options

exercise.png