March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @lonewolfrunner I am in love with your description of running outside! <3
    @cooter_mom Don't think twice about going outside! In my opinion dreadmill run and outside runs don't even live in the same universe!

Me too! @lonewolfrunner -- You need to write a running book. You express it like no one else. It's like the romance novel of running.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @cooter_mom...I think once you actually just get out and do it, you will discover that running alone outside is the most unboring thing you have ever done. I think if you do most of your runs outside this spring and summer, you will dread going back to the mill. Running outside lets you experience what running is all about... subtle adjustments to an ever-changing terrain, being alert to your surroundings, feeling your feet pushing off the ground, experiencing changes in temperature and precipitation...

A treadmill deprives you of the exhilaration of running through a spontaneous rain shower and seeing the rainbow at the end... it keeps you from discovering mental toughness when snow is blowing in your eyes... it doesn't let you feel the satisfaction of seeing the geographical distance you actually covered (did I really run to the next town and back?). And if you can add to that, the unparalleled thrill of running through the woods on a single track trail, picking your way around and over rocks, roots, streams... I'm getting a rush just writing this and I just finished my run....

Damn girl... you gotta ditch that mill....

@cooter_mom‌ - ^^^^ What he said! I run the same general area most days and I never get bored. There are birds and animals of all kinds to watch. The beautiful sky and mountains in the distance and all the other runners, walkers and cyclists out in the fresh air! Today I got to see a large flock of pelicans take flight - not once but twice. They are such huge white birds with black under wings and are magnificent to watch - when they come into land on the water they look like a plane coming in!
    Get out there and try it you won't regret it... well at least until you have to run on the TM again and realize you now hate it :)
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @lonewolfrunner I am in love with your description of running outside! <3
    @cooter_mom Don't think twice about going outside! In my opinion dreadmill run and outside runs don't even live in the same universe!

Me too! @lonewolfrunner -- You need to write a running book. You express it like no one else. It's like the romance novel of running.
    @LoneWolfRunner ^^^ This x1,000,000,000 You can hear the sing song lilt in my voice laughing at this can't you? Do I need to say I told you so?
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »
    ok, count me in for 80km.

2nd - 10.01km
    3rd - 4.12km
    5th - 2.63
    March 7th -
    run 1 - 5.6km
    run 2 - 5km

exercise.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You will be fine if you can remember just a couple of things:
    1. Squats are NOT acceptable pre-race warm-ups.
    2. Neither are deadlifts.
    3. Do not drink all the things the night before the race.
    4. Do not drink most of the things the night before the race.
    5. Do not ask the runner in front of you for a spot if you start getting tired.
    6. Do not drive your shoulder into any runner to cross ahead of her at the finish.
    7. Do not get all Jersey on the little grandma that passes you effortlessly at mile 6.

BAAW HA HA HA- squats are TOTALY an acceptable prerace warm up!!!
    Deadlifts- not so much- but squats- all day baby!!!

LOL- can't drink and carb all the things pre-race night? awwwwwwwww

And I think part of the action of "going all Jersey" on someone is that it's appropriate at all times. I mean that's kind of what makes it what it is!!!

Good lord- trying to keep up with weekly milage of someone who does so little is tricky!!! :)
    I likes it!!

Week update for me.
    3.2- 2.48 @ 23 min (seriously ice conditions-didn't die- celebrate)
    3.4- 2 miles @ 37 min (no sports bra- walking incline FWD/BKW)
    3.7 - 3 miles @ 30 min (treadmill- slow run- and bothers my shins- still done)

Total March Goals
    12.48 Miles of 60 hypothetical miles
  • timetolosewt
    timetolosewt Posts: 6 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Date.......Miles.......Total
    03/01.... 2.00....... 2.00 - Dog Beach run
    03/02.... 5.22....... 7.22 - Fast rain run
    03/03.... 7.88......15.10 - + Strength Training
    03/04.... 0.00......15.10
    03/05.... 4.03......19.13 - + Strength Training
    03/06.... 8.74......27.87 - Windy and so dry
    03/07.... 6.70......34.57 - Hot, hot, hot (sorry to all who are still dealing with snow and ice!)

exercise.png

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @LoneWolfRunner‌ Thank you for that, seriously! I just ran to the next town and back and it was amazing.

That being said, I think I was up to 21 of my 100 miles. Today I'm adding an extra 15, which puts me over 1/3 of the way there :smiley:
    Got to run along side a herd of deer and past a few horse farms and it was sunny and beautiful and the snow is melting and it was so awesome to be outside that I didn't even notice my socks were completely soaked from all the puddles until I got home.
    Really riding that runners high today.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    Got to run along side a herd of deer and past a few horse farms and it was sunny and beautiful and the snow is melting and it was so awesome to be outside that I didn't even notice my socks were completely soaked from all the puddles until I got home.
    Really riding that runners high today.

^^ sounds like heaven. So happy for you.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @cooter_mom‌ <inawhispysubtlevoice>listen to the masses. Outdoor running is amazing. I think of how far you've come on the treadmill, and how much farther those gains translate to outdoor running. Happy running!
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @4leighbee‌ Thanks! :smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @cooter_mom Once you go outside, you will never want to hit that dreadmill again. Join a running group and run with other like minded crazy people and the thrill even gets better. I seen white squirrels, cows, deer, wonderful views from my mountain runs, and the fresh air. I spent all winter running out in the cold just to avoid having to run on the treadmill. Except this past Thursday and Friday because all the roads were covered in ice and it posed a huge health risk.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    1--- 6mi
    2--- REST DAY
    3--- 8mi
    4--- 7mi
    5--- 10mi
    6--- 7.25mi
    7--- 18.05mi

Done: 56.30/200mi goal
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    01 Mar - 2.56 miles
    02 Mar - 2.00 miles
    03 Mar - rest
    04 Mar - 5.02 miles
    05 Mar - rest
    06 Mar - rest
    07 Mar - 1.83 miles

Just a tiny trot out today - trying out some new shoes... they seem good, but they're just updated versions of my old favourites and luckily they haven't changed much from version four to version five.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Date Miles today. Miles for March

3/1 6.5 miles - 6.5 <<<< 1.5 w/u plus 8K race
    3/2 5 miles - 11.5
    3/3 8 miles - 19.5
    3/4 8 miles - 27.5 <<< new shoes today (ASICS Gel Noosa Tri 8's)
    3/5 6 miles - 33.5 <<< TM intervals (ice covered streets)
    3/6 8 miles - 41.5 <<< TM progressions @ recovery & easy paces
    3.7 15 miles - 56.5 <<<< Outside Madkin and Weeden Mtns long run (1,299 ft elevation gain)

exercise.png

3/7 It's nice again and most of the ice is melted. So back outside on the mountains we go.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1 - 12mi, easy
    2 - 8.2mi, easy
    3 - 8.2mi, tempo
    4 - 10mi, easy w/FF
    5 - 8mi, intervals
    6 - 8mi, easy+3.2mi, tempo
    7 - 18mi, easy

Got some slick new racing flats for my half marathon next weekend - Adidas Adios Boost 2. Took them out and foolishly ran 3mi and burned a 6:02 for the last one. 11 total yesterday and 18 on very tired legs with a buddy today.

Total: 74.6mi

Mar goal: 275mi

• zombiebrandy0112
    zombiebrandy0112 Posts: 88 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Goal: 65 miles

3/1: 6.38 miles, 11:42 pace, snow covered sidewalks but beautiful day!
    3/2: REST
    3/3: 3.01 miles, 10:52 pace, in a misty, cold rain - LOVED it!
    3/4: 3.00 miles, 11:42 pace, I felt like I had lead feet today.
    3/5: REST - my Achilles' tendon was aching so I dropped my scheduled 3 miles
    3/6: REST
    3/7: My 1st 8k race, 5.01 miles, 10:32 pace - I felt AWESOME! My best race pace by far. Also a 2 mile walk with my husky in the evening.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Today: 10km

exercise.png
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Lost some time to the bad weather. Couldn't get out of the house for two days and I don't have a treadmill. Ran 4 today for 10/25 and I have also walked 10miles.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @cooter_mom...I think once you actually just get out and do it, you will discover that running alone outside is the most unboring thing you have ever done. I think if you do most of your runs outside this spring and summer, you will dread going back to the mill. Running outside lets you experience what running is all about... subtle adjustments to an ever-changing terrain, being alert to your surroundings, feeling your feet pushing off the ground, experiencing changes in temperature and precipitation...

A treadmill deprives you of the exhilaration of running through a spontaneous rain shower and seeing the rainbow at the end... it keeps you from discovering mental toughness when snow is blowing in your eyes... it doesn't let you feel the satisfaction of seeing the geographical distance you actually covered (did I really run to the next town and back?). And if you can add to that, the unparalleled thrill of running through the woods on a single track trail, picking your way around and over rocks, roots, streams... I'm getting a rush just writing this and I just finished my run....

Damn girl... you gotta ditch that mill....

*swoon* think I'm in love all over again... With running or with @LoneWolfRunner‌, I'm not sure which, maybe both :blush:

4‌4‌<-- Goofy keyboard. 44 won't erase... Oooh maybe its a secret message..