WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    today my train was cancelled, had to wait for the next one, if that was going to end up cancelling I was going to ride into work, didn't happen.

I rarely reply to everyone individually like a lot of you do here, i'm gonna try to give it a shot and at least reply to some, I feel like such a slacker, I don't know how you guys have the time to do it ALL the time...you guys are A W E S O M E ! ! ! ! !

megblair - 84??? wow! i wanna go there

selena - just keep going, don't stop

mollywhippet - bummer about the dishwasher. we have a portable one now and when that peters out we're going to put one in our "hole", hope we get someone that knows what they're doing when the time comes

damnit - yes you could run 5 miles.. that is nothing, i was the bomb when i ran 26.2 miles without stopping, i even impressed myself on that one!!, now THAT was a reason to call me the bomb! i will admit, i have a trucker mouth fo sho! lololol, my winkle, the ol laday is a cutie with the hairband.

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Top of the mornin' to all:

I love all the puppy pic's... I can't wait until I retire and move back to the country so that I can have one or two.

Gilly: I'm so happy that your swim times are getting quicker and easier for you.

Mary from Minnesota: What a wonderful NSV! I can't wait to refresh my wardrobe.

Selena
    : 8 lbs is wonderful! I'll bet there is a difference in other measurements as well. Keep up the great work!

Carol in NC: 10 hour days would wear me out too! Don't forget to take time for you. My DS#2 just got his license in the fall. I could not believe the difference in made for me not only in not needing to drive him around, but he's very happy and proud to run errands for me! Here's hoping that the walks will help kick that depression in the butt for you! I am absolutely astounded at how organized and accomplished you are! (*)

Michele in NC: Let us know what the doc says.

Joyce, Indiana - I could hear the joy you had with your sister... made me smile too.. That store sounds awesome!

Sassy: Love the hanger management - what a great idea..I'm going to copy that one!

I managed to get everything done I needed to yesterday and dinner went well. Yay me! All my guests loved the spinach lasagna - had to make 2 kinds since some are allergic to mushrooms. I sent some home with the nephew and his girlfriend. Also made a light Peach Passion fruit cheese cake which they loved as well. We played the new version of Pictionary and had loads of fun. My sons both enjoyed the change of pace and so did I. Gotta do fun stuff more often.

And in honour of St.Patty's day here the thought of the day.

You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mudhole, check your back pocket - you might have caught a fish. - Darrell Royal

Carey in Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah! Go me! Went out for a walk in the sunshine with DH and earned myself another 244 calories! I haven't been on that walk for months. It is a sort of triangle round the village, on lanes, and is very pretty, with fields, woods and a couple of listed buildings like an old mill. Primroses, daffodils, celandines and a blackbird singing fit to bust! That was one of my March goals. As some of you know, I'm not an outside person and need someone to walk with. <3
    Now about to try my headphones.

Carol - thankyou! I used the techniques in Level Up Your Day to give me some discipline for this task. Very helpful. I am by nature a procrastinator and I am nervous about this book so a framework was helpful.

Heather UK

PS - Headphones fab! Thank you Barbie for the idea! Now I can dance around the kitchen to my bangra while DH is writing his novel next door with the doors open. (Bangra is a type of very jiggy Pakistani music - I love it to cook to :laugh: )
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Meg - DD and I are not currently nurses, but she is in the RN program in her hometown. She is working in Home Health part-time, and is now assigned to mentally and physically challenged teenagers. She is amazing at sign language naturally, has taken 2 classes, and loves to read the books and teach it to others. In high school she volunteered with Adaptive Sports programs.

Michele NC - I did well at the banquet. They had a taco bar, and I avoided the meat and the carbohydrates, sticking with lettuce, cheese (my non-optional vice), tomato, and the juice from the jalapenos. It was both delicious and filling, and I did NOT gain anything (which is a win if you ask me).

Joyce - the cynical-me wants to offer some advise about the Facebook situation that I almost fell for once, and DH did fall for. These people sometimes "phish" for people to scam. The research was very nice of you, but something this person certainly could have done through the Internet. If she asks if she can send you the money, R U N ! ! ! The "bad" people will send a counterfeit money order, likely for more money than what you had stated, then ask you to send the difference back through Western Union or something similar. I truly hope this is NOT the case, but please be careful. I sell Avon, and I get a request from this type of person several times a year, usually starting around November.

Allison - I'm so sorry that you have such toxic people at your job. I believe in you, and your ability to do what is right, and I believe kharma will come back to bite these people in the bu++. Surrounding ourselves with positive energy can be difficult, but worthwhile.

DS decided he does NOT want to train for Pole Vaulting this year for Track & Field. He won't give us a reason for changing his mind, and it makes me sad. I hate to see him quit something before he even tries. I think it is something he would do well (even though I would be frightened watching the first time), and the coach said very few kids are willing to try, and that he has the perfect body for it (lean, very strong upper body and core). I guess it won't really affect his adult life, so I'll let it go. At 14 he should be able to make these kinds of decisions.

Cold and Sunny out today - love me some vitamin D, even through the window.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Happy St. Patrick's day!

Sorry I have been MIA from the chat group. I have been down and out with a horrible sinus infection.

Hopefully I will be able to contribute something soon.

6phnicrfz0zk.jpg
  • pipcd34
    Options
    dia - you contributed the pic... lolol. cute! feel better
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Unfortunately as a teacher I have more than once had to deal with students stealing from one another and me. I learned not to say you stole that. Their first reaction is denial. What worked better was to say I see you borrowed that and then just took it back and or gave it to the person it belonged too. One time a girl stole some magnets of mine I called the mom and said your daughter said these magnets belonged to her but another student said they belonged to them. I am trying to figure out who they belong too. That way I informed the parent without directly saying she stole them. Unfortunately I never did get them back. I just learned I needed to watch the student more closely.

I agree with the others being in an environment where there is lack of trust and common courtesy is a difficult place.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    My seeds have started sprouting and are planting them. Weeds have been cleared from the back planter. Today will trim a little from the lemon tree.
    I've working on keeping my calories from going too far over and doing well during the day. It's when I get home after work that need some control measure. Need to change up the routine of eating upon arrival.
    Love reading about everyone's life!
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Happy St. Patrick's Day from Boston!! Many here think that it should be a legal holiday!
    Although we don't dye the Charles River green like they do in Chicago or roll cabbages down the street in New Orleans, there is alot of green beer flowing. I wonder if it's true about the New Orleans' cabbages, I would truely love to see that in person.

Thank you for your kind comments, it really means alot to me to know I have support and validation. I hope I can return the favor in kind.

Michele...you asked where my mother lives in NJ...she is now in North Bergan although she lived in Red Bank for about 30 years prior. I do not like going there at all because of all the traffic and congestion (this town is right next to the George Washington Bridge and across the Hudson River from Manhattan). The views from her building are spectacular once you navigate yourself there.

Carol...I can relate to your depression. I also suffered for many years and spring was also my trigger. People couldn't understand why I would be depressed AFTER the long New England winter, but as you know it is not something that can be explained. Have you ever considered accupuncture? It helped me more than most medications. Currently in MA they have community accupuncture clinics where you are treated in a large room with other people and the cost is as low as $15/session. I am a big fan of accupuncture, it has helped me in many ways, including migranes. I am very fortunate that I now longer suffer from either depression or migranes. I must have been living right...NOT!!

Heather...I admire you so much for writing a book! I've just recently joined this party so I wasn't aware of your accomplishment until recently. I hope that you will share with us, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is interested in reading it. I have often thought that I have a book in me and maybe someday it will actually get written, we'll see.

I don't remember who shared the recipe for the chocolate bran muffins, but thank you. I made my second batch last night. I have 1 every day, sometimes with a little smear of peanut butter. They are filling and I'm convinced that they help things "move along" (think bowls!). I have had a problem getting enough fiber in my diet since I gave up certain foods and this seems to do the trick.

I did something I have never done before...I threw chocolate away! It was given to me, I had a couple of pieces, decided it wasn't worth the calories and rather than having it in the house as a temptation I threw it out since there is no one to give it to. This also went against my grain of wasting food, God forgive me!! In the past I would eat it just so it wouldn't go to waste, but I remembered something I heard a long time ago and that was to not treat our bodies like a garbage can and just eat it because it was there. This was huge for me.

Have a great day Ladies and don't drink too much green beer!!

Chris in rainy MA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Selena: You may be doing everything right and experiencing a plateau. Goodness knows I had so many of them I didn’t even bother to count. Many people here are happy Fitbit users. I hope you’ll like yours.

Kim: We also had almost no winter, and we’re worried, too.

Michele: I hope you’ll post pictures of your praying mantis when you are done, and even as a work in progress.

Janet: DH was a “good boy” at dinner and will be celebrating St. Paddy’s Day at DD’s house today. I have been elected to cook the corned beef & cabbage.

Joyce: DD’s husband sells cars. We went to see his workplace last summer, and there was a customer there who wanted to buy a cute little car for her niece. The car was over 10 thousand. I was flabbergasted because I don’t live in a world with that kind of disposable income. I don’t think she actually bought the car, though. Maybe she was just talking.

SassyausAustria: I love your advice regarding “grumpa.” I may use it when he isn’t being fair.

Alison: Hugs to you. You seem to be in a situation that is hard to predict and that can be stressful. I’m confident that things will work out well in the end but while things are in a state of flux it can be hard not to worry. Then there is the toxic office staff. Yikes. You have my sincere sympathy.

Yanniejannie: My dad had 100% German ancestry, and always maintained that he was “honorary Irish” on Saint Patrick’s Day. Mom claimed not to know her family background, but my neighbor who loves to investigate ancestry did a family tree for me. She discovered that Mom was German on her dad’s side. My neighbor told me that researching the female side of a family is much more difficult due to surname changes with marriage.

Janet in Myrtle Beach: We make our oatmeal in the microwave using the recipe on the Quaker Old-fashioned Oats box. It really is easy and doesn’t take long. Reheated leftover oatmeal is not my favorite thing. I like the word “savor.”

Dia_nuf: I love Snoopy & Woodstock! Thanks.

I’m currently sitting in the hotel, doing laundry and getting ready for the day. We'll be celebrating Saint Patrick's Day with traditional corned beef and cabbage at DD's.

Katla temporarily in Colorado

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Happy St Patrick's day. I had a great weekend at the CMA rally. Good teaching and fellowship. Yesterday I had the day off and did get alot done around the house. It was almost 90 here yesterday. Loved having the house windows all open. Today the high is to be in the 50's. Weigh in this morning was not good, but been stress eating big time. Hoping to hear about the job in the next couple days. I just hate change and want to get it over with. But that is not an good excuse. I need to get back on track. So today is a new day.

Welcome Janice & Carolyn--You have come to the right place for support and fellowship.

Sylvia--What a great write up about the school and your bowls.

Allison--HUGS your DFIL is lucky to have you looking out for him. DH needs to realize what a great wife he has.

Sassy--love your answer for the rasins or cooked grapes.

Well I am up to page 27 and run out of time. So have a good night ladies and Remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki Bradley

March Goals
    1. Log everybite
    2. drink water, stay away from diet pop
    3. No eating after 8pm
    4. Off the computer by 9pm.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I wanna go home.... carry on....................... :0/
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Joyce, I tend to agree with Terri about the Facebook car situation. It sounds like you only did things that could help her if she is legit. I would proceed with caution if she contacts you again.

Okay, my friends, especially my sister, think I'm crazy, but I'm going to take the job. It is a long-term sub position teaching AP Calculus at a high school in my neighborhood. I've never worked anywhere that if only took me 5 minutes to get there, so transportation costs are minimal. It is only for 5 weeks, and the principal says he will work with me if another school system wants to hire me to do a workshop during pre-planning. I explained that I could make more money doing a two-day workshop than I could the entire 5 weeks of being a sub. I swore when I retired that I was worth more than sub pay and would never do it, but I can't stand the thought of these seniors going 5 weeks without a real teacher. That is huge! Their teacher is having a baby in July. Her other classes are co-taught with a special Ed teacher who will do the majority of the work. I can help him by facilitating small groups and showing him some strategies for formative assessment and to promote student engagement - things I would normally be getting the big bucks for! I feel validated that my MFP friends think I should go for it.

The scale is moving ever so slowly in the right direction. It moved enough today to make me really happy. Bridge tonight, so this has been a pretty good Tuesday for me.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well, I got out and enjoyed our last warm day for a bit. Walked Gemma over to the dog park where she played with a Doberman and an Airedale. She walks a little better on the way home when she's all tired out! I have taught her sit, down, and to do an army crawl. Next is shake and roll over......but I really need to work on that pulling on walks, 23 pounds of pure muscle just trying to go 80 miles an hour straight ahead........all. the. time.
    Ran into DD's h.s. English teachers' DH and he texted her an update on DD and sent her a pic of Gemma. Wonderful teacher; DD adored her and she was a big part of the reason one of DD's majors was English.
    Trying to round up people for a work reunion dinner; phone calls made.

Janet......Hope you enjoy your Moose celebration and dance your (hopefully green) socks off!

Carey......You had a fun evening! I'm envious; no extra family around here. Loved your thought of the day.

Heather.....I remember when you used to write about your walks around your town; glad you enjoyed today's. WTG!

Terri.........Maybe he wants to concentrate on his bowling?

Katla.........Enjoy your corned beef and cabbage.

Vicki........Fingers crossed here for your job!!!!

drkatie........How absolutely wonderful and generous of you not to let those students go w/o a teacher!!!! I hope you have a ton of fun and enjoy those students!

Got to make dinner.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of HIIT on the elliptical. Tomorrow's plan is to go to yoga and then to the deep water class.

After exercising, bought gas then went to ceramics. Put the first coat of paint on the body of my praying mantis. what I think I'm going to do is when I do the second coat, I'm going to do it HEAVY, then light for the third coat. Bought stuff like the "off the wall" for cleaning the tile in the pool. then came home. Got the leaves out of the pool, took the solar cover off and it's on the driveway right now drying, we'll roll it up later today and put it away for the summer (oh, does that ever sound good)

Janet
    - from what I read on the Internet, they say that using a Bible on the cyst doesn't help and can actually hurt it. Well, I went to the MD. My thumb finger has a "trigger finger". As far as the bump, he felt it and it felt "squishy", he didn't know why it was squishy but he's going to have me go to an orthopedist. He said that what they'll most likely do is give me a shot of cortisone for the finger, but he has no idea about the lump. It still doesn't hurt me one bit.

then went to Kohl's. Was looking for a pocketbook, realized I really don't have a nice one to go with the suit I wore to the Magical Evening. Well, I had a $15 coupon, plus another 20% off, and the pocketbook was on sale for $30.

Joyce
    - you are such a good person, using your Internet time to help your friend. But then again, I wouldn't expect anything else of you

TJJ
    - welcome!

Carol in NC - I love the way you plan your meals. Sounds a lot like me

pip - 26 MILES!!!! Wow! I'm very impressed

Carey - good quote.

Chris - your mom lives in North Bergen? Wow! I grew up in clifton, Vince lived in Clifton but went to school in Montclair. My first apt was in East Rutherford (I worked in Carlstadt). Tell me about the traffic! We lived in Clifton before the Meadowlands were built. I know my father wanted me to move back there to take care of him, but there was no way on this green earth I would move back. Prices of things went sky high since it's so close to Manhattan. Glad you like the bran muffins. they certainly add fiber! I think that's why Weight Watchers put them at 0 points. Great for you throwing that chocolate away. I have a hard time throwing things away, but I don't mind donating it or I let Vince eat the chocolate. How many times I'll finish something up just so it's no longer a temptation for me.

katla - I know you watch the sodium in foods, have you ever had "salt free 17" food seasoning? Hungry Girl has a recipe for "growing oatmeal". I remember it was using twice as much liquid and cooking it for (I believe) twice as long. Gives you more oatmeal.

Sylvia - I don't think I saw the link about the article about the bowls and the school. Would you please post it again? I swear I thought MFP would take you right to the last post you read, but I guess not

drkatiebug - I'm so happy you decided to take the job!

Well, we rolled up the solar cover and put it away for the summer!

I've made a sort-of mini goal for myself, to do at least 2 rows on the latch hook tree skirt. So I'm off to do them.

Michele in NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy st pats day
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday here. yesterday was a BAD day for me, only walking and shopping.
    Today is miserable and raining but off to do Wii Gold's Gym Boxing and Wii Biggest Loser Fitness (weigh-in and challenge day)
    Food at 1603. Decided to have baked beans on toast for breakfast.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here's today's joke of the day:

:)

Joe, a college student, was taking a course in ornithology, the study of birds. The night before the biggest test of the semester, Joe spent all night studying. He had the textbook nearly memorized. He knew his class notes backward and forward. Joe was ready.

The morning of the test, Joe entered the auditorium and took a seat in the front row. On the table in the front was a row of ten stuffed birds. Each bird had a sack covering its body, and only the legs were showing. When class started, the professor announced that the students were to identify each bird by looking at its legs and give its common name, species, habitat, mating habits, etc.

Joe looked at each of the birds' legs. They all looked the same to him. He started to get angry. He had stayed up all night studying for this test and now he had to identify birds by their LEGS? The more he thought about the situation, the angrier he got.

Finally he reached his boiling point. He stood up, marched up to the professor's desk, crumpled up his exam paper and threw it on the desk. "What a ridiculous test!" he told the prof. "How could anyone tell the difference between these birds by looking at their legs? This exam is the biggest rip-off I've ever seen!"

With that, Joe turned and stormed toward the exit. The professor was a bit shocked, and it took him a moment to regain his composure. Then, just as Joe was about to walk out the door, the prof shouted out, "Wait a minute, young man, what's your name?"

Joe turned around, pulled up his pant legs and hollered, "You tell me, prof! You tell me!"

:D
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I spent the day taking photos of the kids bowls and setting up a poster. I'm going to have several printed so they can hang it at the school, and I can hang it at the studio. I'm pretty happy with the way the whole project turned out.

0k7jz1v64xwf.jpg
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi my lovely friends. Nothing much happening today; it was a quiet office day. My ultrasound report came back fine other than a small cervical polyp. I just wish I’d get this menopause thing over with.

I’m in the computer room while DH and DD#2 eat dinner. I honestly can’t stand to be around her at times. She fires questions at me all day long like a machine gun. I feel like I’m at police headquarters being interrogated for murder. It’s unending. I have asked and asked and asked and she just won’t shut up LOL. So I decided to just leave. I can’t take it. One sentence comes out of my mouth and then there’s another 40 questions to answer, many none of her business. Not that it’s secret, but since when does a child need to know every possible thing; why people are coming over, how long are they staying, why did you buy that, who asked that person to do this….on and on and on it goes. I used to joke when we first adopted her that DH needed a crowbar to get her off of me. Now instead of being physically attached, it’s the constant questioning.

Selena: good progress!

Kim: I have some green grass in my yard. Uh oh, that means mowing soon!

Sylvia: I sure hope you are on the mend permanently

Janet: I got another few new things again today. My spring wardrobe was pitiful. I don’t
    even have enough to get rid of anything else in that section!

Sassy: you have a great closet idea!

TJJ: welcome aboard!

Alison: sounds like a hand full at work!

Yanniejannie: daffodils already??

Vicki: are you having the cooler weather too?

I have a question; what do you ladies do about your arms? My arms are proportionally bigger than the rest of me so I buy tops, dresses that are too big over all just to fit my arms and have them tailored. I’d love to reduce the size of them. I do lift weights and use the arm part of the cross trainer…I do some thing like that nearly daily. Any other suggestions?

OK, DH has asked me to come back to the table so I will. That’s it from here. Take care, Meg from Omaha