WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have read all posts and now cannot remember who said what, but loved the jokes and am pleased to see that many of you have done the things that make you happy!
    I can only make a list of replies when I am at work and as (lucky me) I have a ONE day week this time, don't think there will be time to do that.
    It will be my grandsons 7th birthday on Thursday so will be taking gifts to him.
    Managed to swim half miles Friday evening and this morning, and times are getting a little bit quicker and easier, so very happy.
    Best wishes to all and hope choices we make are the right ones for us.
    Gilly, Suffolk Uk

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Morning dear friends,
    yesterday was another busy day..
    DFIL last 2 days has eaten wonderfully ,and been up and conversing..alot of it is off in left field but at least he is talking.
    Tom an I have had our spats over the weekend, just gets stressful doing all this reno..
    after visiting DFIL, we came home and cleaned up the dining room which has been a catch all for all the construction stuff.. got 2 boxes of cluttered stuff to Goodwill. a bag into the clothing drive.
    and the back of the mini van is chock full of demolition , tile, old wall oven, cardboard etc...so the dining room is sort of back together..I have all my baking stuff and blender etc..in boxes so when they come to reface it will be out of the way.. will have to save boxes at work to put rest of the stuff in..
    went to Lowes and found some neat backsplash for the bathroom sink, bought the tub and surround,and fixtures for tub, tile and grout,mastick for tile..
    Yes with the guy that is doing the bathroom. I have known him 40 yrs.. we went to high school together.. this is a side job..for him .we will buy all of what he needs and he will do the work.. he is going to be doing it Easter weekend.. I have no problem with that.. we have Good friday off , he might too so he can work that day.. Sunday he will take a break to have dinner with his kids..
    tomorrow is my DGD Taliah's 7th birthday.. she was born on St Pattys day :D ordered her Spirograpgh, I had it when I was young and loved it, I have a card with 10 bucks in it for her that I need to send out today,so she will get that late..
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Michele: I admire your ability to “have just one” treat. I wish that worked as well for me.

Barbie: how wonderful that you got that phone call! I know you did a great job helping to raise her.

Sylvia: keep us posted on what you find in or near your recliner! Lol

Sally: your dogs must like being brushed. Mine has very sensitive skin and does not like brushing or combing.

Kim: so glad you’ve been healthy enough not to have needed a doctor all this time! Hope you feel comfortable with the doctor. Great photo!

Sassy: I know exactly what you mean by carb crash; I’ve done that myself when I absolutely needed to sleep but couldn’t. And blueberry pancakes are delicious!

Talking to family far away: my mom doesn’t have a computer or smartphone, but I can still call her landline using a Skype subscription. It costs only a few dollars for three months and I can call as much as I want.

So...I took the job this morning! Everybody dance right now!!
    I start on Wednesday, with some overlapping with the old job until May 1.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    Though chalk me up as an early riser. I wake daily between 3:30 - 4:30 am. For all the very same reasons as Barbie. I love hitting the streets and paths before the rest of the world wakes. As she said it's meditative, reflective, a wonderful time to inventory my life. Plus it sets me up for a great day as well. The running funny between family and friends regarding this is, That it's my job to wake the Sun each day. :D

Yes, we are indeed kindred spirits in our delight of the early and dark hours of the morning. My sweet husband is always encouraging me to sleep later because that's what he likes to do (he gets up about 7:00).

I've had my breakfast and read through the posts since last night. The dogs have been walked once to "do business". Now I'll go out with Brandy for awhile, then Sasha, then off the chiropractor at 8 AM followed by a few errands.

<3 Barbie
    k7wwtwf401p4.jpg

• Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - I am dancing for you, just don't work too hard. Congratulations
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I saw a lady at church yesterday who is about my age/height/build. I could tell she had lost some weight and asked her about it. She said yes she had lost about 16 pounds using MFP. I was so excited because I have lost 18 pounds on MFP. So if I can see it on her, then surely people can see it on me. (I think our brains take longer to see it on ourselves.)

Nice weather here this weekend and the first part of this week. Hubs started up the motorcycle. I'm sure it will get cold again. But wonderful to enjoy a little bit of spring for now.

Diana in NE Indiana
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading the posts.

We had a record high of 70 yesterday. Quite a contrast to last years. Enjoyed getting out for a walk.

Was yesterday Mother's Day is U.K.? If so Happy Mother' Day!

2015: Strength

Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Plodding along again to catch up….
    Lesley – just read about your dream, with Mildred jumping into a gorge… I don’t know what to believe about dreams but this one seems like it is a way to be told that she is ok and cares about you being ok.

Yanniejannie, and Vicki – sending you (((((((((hugs)))))))))))) gun violence is just so scary and prevalent.

Sassy – thanks for the brownie recipe…. And for “cooked grapes” !!! perfect

I just read my post from 2 days ago…I am catching up!!! Yeah!!!

Lin – do you think you might be putting your fitbit into sleep mode?

Carolyn – welcome, just start by visiting us and logging the food you eat….

Katla – I hope the rest of your vacation is good…

Beth – what a great NSV that your family likes your healthy cooking!

Heather – I am so glad you are making contact with those you “should” and the dinner party sounded great – salmon wheels—yummy

Jane – glad DD surgery went well and on a new place!

Sylvia – hope all is well, Loved the nasa joke

Liz- CArower – are you another CA gal? I am from Northern CA

Ok my yesterday post!!! I am making it – I will catch up tonight…

Carol – in GA ---- could you be dealing with a bit of depression, sometimes that makes it hard to get started.

Heather – Mother’s day? Over here mother’s day is in May… on a Sunday…

I did it!!!! I caught up !!!

This is a bit weird, but I am a bit anxious about tomorrow… I have a doctor’s appointment in the morning; I got heath insurance via Obama Care (the only way I could afford it) – I got Kaiser, which is a system that has the doctors and hospitals and everything connected. This is the first time I have been to a doctor since 2006 – I am not worried about anything specific, it is just a new experience and I am not real comfortable with it. I have never had a physical in my whole life, and only have gone to the dr. when injured or sick; but need to get a mammogram and a pap and need to have a primary care first – so tomorrow is primary and then next week is pap and mammogram…

Well catching up took 4 hours, so now it is bed time.

March goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
    cpm4qpkvnykb.jpg

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I can't believe how far behind I am again. Hugely busy weekend but did have time to do a good brush out on both dogs.
    They look marvelous.

Sally W
    Oregon

loob22zfltov84t.jpg
    ziwbv4yea2ag.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • pipcd34
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Though chalk me up as an early riser. I wake daily between 3:30 - 4:30 am. For all the very same reasons as Barbie. I love hitting the streets and paths before the rest of the world wakes. As she said it's meditative, reflective, a wonderful time to inventory my life. Plus it sets me up for a great day as well. The running funny between family and friends regarding this is, That it's my job to wake the Sun each day. :D

Yes, we are indeed kindred spirits in our delight of the early and dark hours of the morning. My sweet husband is always encouraging me to sleep later because that's what he likes to do (he gets up about 7:00).

I've had my breakfast and read through the posts since last night. The dogs have been walked once to "do business". Now I'll go out with Brandy for awhile, then Sasha, then off the chiropractor at 8 AM followed by a few errands.

<3 Barbie
    k7wwtwf401p4.jpg

aaewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Well folks - I HAVE FINISHED MY TYPING! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :drinker:

Phew! That is the bulk of the work behind me. Still got editing, formatting, sorting out a cover, finding out how to self publish etc etc etc to do, but at least it is now on the computer and not on some wrinkled A4 in portable typewriter font!
    I've given it to DH to read and proof read. Poor chap! To give myself some confidence I tried to find some old responses from publishers, but couldn't find the one I remember that was so enthusiastic. Found some others that were complimentary about other stuff. I am so worried about criticism. I have a very thin skin. With my children's books I wasn't so bothered because they were more distant from me and more of a product. I do advise any of you that are sensitive not to read my book! Even though it is over 30 years since I wrote it, it still feels raw.
    Now I've got to get it shipshape.

Well done Cynthia! o:) (*)

Yesterday when DS#2 rang he said that my ex husband, his dad, is still not too good. Liver still scarred and weak. He also has something on his kidney which they are investigating today. Apparently his mouth sometimes tastes of urine. Ugh!
    I contacted an old university friend of his to let him know. He got in contact with my ex, so that's good. I am going to have lunch with them when I go up to Nottingham to see DS#1.

Also managed to get my yoga friend to go out with me next week on Wed, so I now have a whole lot of things planned. :D

DH out food shopping. I am just feeling so happy that I've broken the back of the book. In a trance! !

Dinner tonight is prawns in a homemade passata with chilli and peas. Shiritaki noodles for me and tagliatelle for DH. I always dry fry my noodes for a while with seasoning so they aren't so rubbery and I was using tongs to turn them which were metal on a non stick pan. I have just got some silicone ones to use just for that purpose. Big helping of noodles - 42 cals.

Barbie - I have taken a leaf out of your book and bought some bluetooth ear phones. I want to listen to my music, radio and tv programmes in the kitchen while I cook and DH is usually writing in the next room. Now I can have it as loud as I like and dance about to my Bangra! ! ! :laugh: They arrive tomorrow. :D

Love to all, Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all. Sunny here, today and tomorrow warm then the bottom falls out again.

Toni.......I wish your family relationships were as you would want them to be; to live with such strain is difficult.

Cynthia.....I am dancing AND singing for you (good thing you can't hear me!). Congrats on taking the job, wish you much success and lots of raises!!!

Beth.....So sorry your son is suffering another migraine. I asked DD why she thought she hasn't had very many recently............she said lots more exercise and also no school pressure, although she is using what little time she has to do reviews, mainly biochem. Does your son do any sports?
    I did trigger one in her last week with the new air freshener in my car, she is very odor sensitive with them, as I was.

Janet........We are almost on the same sleep sched. Believe me, there are days when my main hurrah is to get dressed and fill and start the dishwasher!!!

Lillian.....Fabulous step count!!!

Sylvia.....I was a major tree climber too!!! Hope you like your new dishwasher.

Katla........Hope you are having fun making wonderful memories and both DH and you stay well. Have a safe trip back home.

Kim......Good luck at the Dr. Neat pic of Levi!!!

Heather........YAY!!!!! on finishing your typing. Sorry to learn your ex is still unwell. Glad to hear you got some events on your calendar to look forward to; I know that makes you happy.

I'm back on track this week; I did stray last week. Started with a breakfast of a bit of Paula Deens goulash (leftover dinner from last night) and my version of Sassy's baked apple.........strange but good breakfast.

Best to all, conquer your day, ladies!!!
    yanniejannie,
    mid-Atlantic

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning Ladies,

Sylvia, it sounds like you had a marvelous day with the kids. Glad you felt up to it even though it wore you out. I can’t wait to hear if the smell goes away…it’s like a mystery in the guest room. Is there by any chance a crawlspace under the room? If it remains you might want to move the recliner to a totally different spot and see if the smell follows it. Whoopee on the dishwasher. :D

Liz, welcome, we are glad to have you with us. I’m with you on the bakery box. Yum yum. And yes, life goes on without it.

Lillian, when I was still working I went to bed at 9 or 9:30 and up at 5:00 also. I remember hating that my body clock woke me at 5 every morning even when I was off. When I retired, that continued for a while but I got over it. Now 5:00 sounds undoable for me.

Katla, so glad you are going to visit DGD and have some fun. I hope you got good rest before the big day.

Sally, beautiful dogs! I’ll bet brushing them is a job. You did good.

Sassy, we all need real comfort foods from time to time. Glad you ended up with a good day.

Allison, it sounds like things are moving along with the remodeling. You will be so pleased with it when complete.

Barbie, love the dog picture.

Diana, when you met the lady that lost weight using MFP it must have felt like meeting a sorority sister, knowing that you had a special bond before even meeting. That’s cool.

Margaret, I love to hear about the warm temperatures up north. Ya’ll had such a brutal winter so you all deserve it. We only got in high 50’s yesterday but in 70’s today.

Heather, Heather, Heather, a big C O N G R A T S on finishing the book. I know that is a huge load off your shoulders and how excited you must be. I hope the rest of the process goes smoothly. You are just simply making great strides in getting things done. I’m proud of you and know you have to be proud of yourself. (*) (*)

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I have a Moose meeting tonight and will be in control of what I eat. The last meeting is when I went totally off the track. It’s been a slow morning so I have to get moving. I wish for each of you to have a successful day with whatever you chose to do. I love you all. <3

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    well i must wash my hair and get ready to go to work.. I think Tom is really leaning towards retiring at the end of the year.. which throws a wrench into the monkey works...we will be able to enjoy our house for 6 months or so.. I dont know what the future holds and I cant dwell on it, but I DONT want to leave our dads and go that far away from them.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's so interesting to read about all of your bedtimes and waking times. I envy those of you who are so good at waking early. However, I don't think there would be much point in my waking up at 4:30 a.m. I am too skittish to go out walking "in the middle of the night" by myself. I should get up by 6:45 a.m. to leave the house by 7:45 a.m. I'm working really hard at doing that consistently. I usually begin to go to bed around 10 p.m. but it is easily 11 p.m. before I actually settle to go to sleep. I typically get off work at 6 p.m. and, by the time I run errands, it is usually 7 p.m. or after before I actually get in the front door. I change clothes, feed the cat, prepare my meal, eat, clean up, walk inside or out to finish out my steps for the day, do a few chores, read the paper, maybe watch a little TV (I record everything and begin watching it after it starts so I can fast forward through the commercials), maybe have a Facetime call with a friend, prep/pre-pack my breakfast and lunch for the next day, then head up the steps to wash my face, change in to jammies, and read for a few minutes before I fall asleep. This is all assuming that I don't have an evening meeting. I can function okay on seven hours of sleep but would do better with about 8 1/2. I know that some of you work longer hours than I do, but 10-hour work days just wear me out. By Thursday evening, I am exhausted.

The boy child got his driver's license on Friday. I had him drive when we went to get him some new shoes on Friday afternoon. He's a little jerky, but overall didn't scare the bejesus out of me at any point. He has to have his license to have his summer job. He will be working for the mission trip folks that "sponsored" his mission trips last summer. There are two different types of mission weeks: service weeks and home week. He did a week of each last summer but felt a calling to work with the homeless. I didn't know that he had specifically applied to work with the homeless, but he did and so will be staying in Asheville for most of the summer. I hope that when he comes home next time, he will be a bit more communicative and I will get more answers. This time around, he was still exhausted from his spring break trip.

Depression still has a hold on me and I'm struggling hard to release the grip. If it doesn't ease up, I may have to increase my meds for a couple of months. Not the end of the world, just frustrating.

I think of each of you and the struggles you face and rejoice with you in your successes. Thanks for being here!

Carol in NC
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Carol in GA: I know how tough it can be to get out of the house when you're struggling with depression. Just pick one little thing to do doesn't matter what it is but something that is realistic and you know you can do - then decide how you are going to celebrate that victory (I usually pamper myself with a hot bubble bath, or a new book or manicure). When you accomplish the task - celebrate! Each accomplishment increases motivation. This sure worked for me as well as making a list of what I've actually accomplished every day (I discounted a lot that I was accomplishing), soon I began to see that I wasn't just sitting around.

Lillian - So sorry to hear about your friend and her husband. (Hugs)

Janet SC - I always end up buying to much..thought I had learned to shop by a list, but managed to buy a whole lot that wasn't on my list. No wonder I only go every 3 or 4 months!

Sassy/Barbie: I can't even imagine getting up that early! I am not a morning person at all unless it is 2 AM...that would be about the time I get to bed :)

Cynthia: Have fun at the new job...I'm doing a jig for you.

Heather: Congrats on the book... You rock!

I think I've taken on too much today..so I've got to get moving before I get overwhelmed thinking about everything I need to do.

Thought for the day: The secret of getting ahead is getting started. - Mark Twain

Have a good day friends!
    Carey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    Options
    well i'm back to 100%... I noticed something that I thought was quite rare (for me at least). sat and sun I ran 5 miles. yesterday I was 5 seconds faster than I was the day before, I burned one calorie less yesterday than I had before. my average pace per mile was the same on both days... I don't think i'll be repeating that anytime soon.

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Congrats to Cynthia on the new job and Heather on finishing her book.

Hugs to all suffering from depression. I don't think I've ever suffered from clinical depression, but I've had mild cases of what I call situational depression. That is not fun, so I can't even imagine your despair.

I'm struggling with a decision about a short term job opportunity. It pays diddly squat, I don't need the money, but it might be fun and might open some doors to opportunities that do pay well. At the very least, it will create good will and will definitely be a service to those for whom I would be working. Im going tomorrow to discuss it further. I guess this is more me interviewing them than them interviewing me. I'm pretty sure the job is mine if I want it. I hate decisions about things that are going to complicate my life!
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Took me a couple of days to catch up but you know how that is.

Sylvia, when I read about the smell in your recliner it reminded me of when I was a child we had an aquarium next to our recliner. One day we noticed 1 of the fish was missing and couldn't figure out where he went. A few months later I was tasked with getting the stuff out that fell down the sides of the recliner, and you guessed it, there was the fish.

Joyce, I know how sentimental we get about "stuff" and I know how we tend to feel guilty. I just want to pass something on that has helped me in my life. First of all, I have come to believe that guilt is a useless emotion. This has helped me tremendously. Also, I have had it suggested that when we have things that we feel we can't part with but really don't want, take a picture of it and then get rid of it. You can even put these pictures in an album as a keepsake. Just a suggestion.

Cynthia, hearty congratulations on the new job!!

Saturday was the fabulous wine tasting/pasta bar bridal shower. It was so much fun!! I met people I had only heard about and reconnected with people I hadn't seen in awhile. I felt wonderful and someone said that I looked "stunning"!! I have never been called stunning before and I felt so good! The 25 lbs. I lost has become really noticeable and I think that I carry myself with more confidence now. This was just the validation I needed to pick those weights up yesterday. I want to remember how it felt whenever I begin to backslide.

On Friday I will be heading down to NJ to visit my mother who is in assisted living. Because of her dementia a visit of only a couple of hours is best. In the past I have made the trip down and back in 1 day but it takes a toll. However, I will incorporate a visit to my "Bestie" who lives 2 hours south of my mother on this trip. We have been friends since we were 11 years old and have gone through alot together. Her husband is retired and a fabulous cook, he will have a cold martini waiting for me when I arrive followed by a healthy, gourmet dinner. They are very health concious which makes this a perfect trip. I am planning my travelling food so that I don't have to rely on rest area fare. It takes the sting out of seeing my mother like this when I can encorporate a trip to see my best friend. Right now things are not too good at work or home so it will be nice to get away for a few days. I won't be home until Monday!!

I am so looking foward to warmer weather!! Late yesterday afternoon it began snowing again, Boston has now officially had the snowiest winter in recorded history. That is 1 record I could have done without! But, I will admit that it was nice to have a fresh white coating on all the dirty snow. It looked much prettier out today.

Everyone have a great day!
    Chris in still cold MA

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Grrrrrrrr :sad: :sad: :sad:
    DH has just had the most frustrating conversation with BT (British Telecom) about our bill for January. For some reason we used twice our usual allotment of wifi and had to pay a lot extra. We don't remember doing anything different and we had no visitors.. Our Feb and March so far usage is normal. The most frustrating thing is the inane questions you get from the call centre which is based in India. The same questions three or four times so you are tearing your hair out! ! ! !
    Just venting! Thanks for listening! They can't tell you when exactly you used a lot, just the number for the month. Useless! It's a complete mystery.

Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK