WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    sorry I havent checked in, I had a nice long post yesterday morning, hit the wrong button and POOF it was gone
    we ran around yesterday, went up to the kitchen refacing place, and liked what we saw, then stopped at Bed ,Bath and beyond, and Lowes then home.
    another refacing company came and gave us a quote,now granted they would give us new drawers,but they wanted 14,000 which seemed pricey, so we shall see wait until the other company comes down to measure.. did get the vanity,mirror and lights set in the bathroom, now to order the rest of the stuff for the bathroom and get some of the clutter cleaned up..
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Alarm clocks: I use an app called Sleep Cycle. You tell it what time you want to wake up (there’s a window of 20 minutes or so) and put the phone face down on your bed. (I put the phone in airplane mode first, so the thing’s not radiating next to my head.) It keeps track of your deeper and lighter sleep and tries to wake you in your lighter phase, so you aren’t shocked out of a deep sleep.

Lesley: not surprising that your feelings are all over the place. Grief takes its own course and its own time.

Jane: sounds like you found a good place. ((hugs))

Sylvia: doing OK now? Love the Navajo joke; so true….

Katla: what a difficult decision. I may go with Sassy on this one. Good that you’re sleeping on it.

Last night we went to a family gathering that was so boring I snacked too much. Yes, I admit it, lol. Back with logging and water today.

I finally had a reasonable night’s sleep (I’ve been waking up early, mind racing, for the last few days). Bit of work today and discussing the new job later with my guy. I think I will take it, though previous commitments will prevent me from getting all the hours in during the first few weeks. Plus, we had planned a week off in late April (we both plan the year, that is summer to summer, in advance in August) and we’ve had this on the books since then (and have had to defend it tooth and nail several times since). I hope the new “boss” will agree to this approach. I think so.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday morning to all!

Pip, love the photo of your lab. He is so handsome.

Sassy, your advice to Katla is so sound. And, your brownie recipe is a must try.

Again, my hat is off to all of you who exercise each and every day. Barbie and Michelle and Fancy plus so many others are to be admired.

I have decided to not log for a while. I have become obsessed with what I eat/don't eat and I am hungry all the time trying not to eat during the day so I can eat more at dinner. I plan to find some balance. Went from 171 in 2013 down to 150. Now, I'm back up to 161. I need to weigh 130 to be at a healthy weight for me.

I wish I could figure out how to get into some activities that would keep me busy. I am to the point that I feel like I'm going crazy sitting here doing nothing all day. I live in an area where there are tons of things to join/volunteer/churches, etc. I could even use my silver sneakers from health insurance to join a nearby gym but can't make myself go in to inquire. It's like I can't move and make myself do anything. Stuck in a rut!

Carol ~ GA
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Hello all it's Sunday so lets be good.

Carolyn
    Welcome to a very active but profitable site

Katla
    Sorry to hear your going home without seeing the grandkids. I would of seen them no matter how sick. If I got it would be god's will. I would not have turned back being so close.

Lilliane
    The choice is mine. Was a great book. Don't care for the new one they have out.
    You say what's the plan for today guess the choice is mine. LOL.

Beth
    I think back to basics is the best we can do for ourselves. But how do you make soya. I would like to find a less salty alternative.

Pip
    Love the pictures of your dogs but don't envy all the vacuuming you must have to do. LOL
    Bachelor son has two black labs. And the fur in there some days I think I could pick enough to make me a coat. Especially on weeks where he works a lot of overtime.

Well kept wii smiling this is four days in a row. Need to keep him smiling. I like it. Keeps me accountable.

So now I'm going to see how much of this line dancing exercise I can do. It sure brings up the steps on fit bit. Yesterday I couldn't finish it. Try again right now.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie – I feel for you – all those renovation decisions. And we are just finishing the basement. We have been going through boxes of “treasures” that have been building up for the past 25 years. And then there are the things that have come home from our parents’ houses – things they want you to keep, as they downsize for smaller houses….

Liz – welcome to the group. I am sure you will find support here, a very diverse group here.

Carol – we could try a kick in the butt for you… :) a variation to my task jar – make a list of the things you said you should be/could be doing – set a timer and do the task for an hour. Would this help you?

Linda – yes I liked the “The Choice is Mine” better than the new one too. I use them both.

Yesterday, I tidied in my scrapbooking room (Task 1) Moved boxes in the basement again (Task 2). Went to visit a friend who has been diagnosed with Non-Hodgson's Lymphoma - sad - she lost her husband just 6 weeks ago (Task 3).

On the agenda for today - There are "needs" today. Need to pay some bills, laundry so I am ready for work tomorrow, move some more boxes, clean vegetables for the week ( I can do that closer to noon and that will take care of lunch...ha ha) and make mini freezer meatballs. Then I will pull from the task jar....there are 6 income tax tasks in there...YUKKIE!!! Hopefully I pull an easy quick one or two.... :\

AND hopefully the 70 km wind gusting through here will leave by afternoon so I can go outside and go for a walk - if not - I will be on my rebounder.

Have a great day everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning Ladies,

Selena, ok ya got me on that one. What is toilet paste? Or is that what he was calling the tooth paste? *laffin’ here*

Bainsworth, I, like many here, have tried many “diets” over the years. The sad thing is that many of them work to lose weight, they just don’t work to keep it off. MFP works for me because when I lose all the weight I need, I will just continue on the same journey, with some modifications. We all struggle from time to time but if we never quit and just keep doing what we know is right, this thing works. I do know I could not be as successful without this group of lovely ladies. Good luck to you and you know you can do it because you get to choose. You may want to pay special attention to the words and quotes at the bottom of many posts. I have copied them all and pasted on a sheet that I keep on my computer. They often give me just the message that I need on a given day.

Sylvia, sorry you are feeling puny. Get better soon. Do you have another doctor's visit scheduled to follow up on your condition? Loved the joke!

Katla, what a bummer about DGD and what a decision. If you haven’t seen her in a long time, I’d probably consider getting face masks and going anyway. With lots of hand sanitizing thrown in. But knowing how my DH avoids germs and especially anything that could lead to a respiratory infection, it would be a hard decision. Good luck.

Joyce, what a dream. So would you really like all those things redone in your house? If so, it might be time to get a new one. ;) In the 48 years I have been married, we have not lived in a house longer than 10 years. We have always had either new homes or no more than 2 years old. I joke that we move out before it’s time to start replacing major things in the house. (roof, AC, water heater, kitchen appliances, etc.) The thing I like best about moving that often is that I go through and weed out the junk that I’ve kept. I do this when packing to move and again when unpacking after the move. If I had been in one house since 1978 I think there would be no room to walk.

Leslie, that is so nice that you and Stan could have a trip down memory lane about Mildred and no tearing up. You are doing great. *hugs*

Liz, welcome to this great group of supportive ladies. You will pick up lots of good information and ideas here as well. Many if not most of us have tried diets over the years, but this lifestyle change really works. Come often and post when you want. We’re glad to have you.

Allison, since I have never re-done a kitchen, I know nothing about prices, but OMG for $14,000 I’d think you could get all new cabinets. :s I do hope you get a better price.

Carol Ga, You know that we support you in your decision but I really hate to hear that you are going to quit logging your food. Do you have a friend in the area that would go with you to at least inquire about a gym. My insurance isn’t part of Silver Sneakers but I know a number of women that are members of gyms with it. They have found others their age that do classes and exercise together. It might be just what you need. As far as being hungry all the time, maybe you need to focus on what you are eating? I stay under 1200 calories a day and luckily am rarely hungry. We are here for you! Good luck and hugs.

Linda, kudos for you on keeping the wii smiles.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I got up earlier than usual today, so finished here and ready to get in some exercise. Ladies, for those of you that don’t exercise at all, just remember that you can start really simple and easy. Just stretching exercise is better than nothing. I went n You Tube and started searching and watched lots of videos to pick out the simple things I could do to begin. You don’t have to start with cardio or anything strenuous to start a new habit. I urge any of you that can, to do something. We all want to get healthier and that comes with not just good food choices.

I hope you all have a wonderful, happy and healthy day.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Carol in GA - I feel for you! :flowerforyou: I have often been in the same state of mind where everything just seems too difficult. Tackle something small and achievable and that will energise you to go on. Pick just one small thing.
    - By the way, there are loads of things you can eat in the day that don't have many calories and will fill you up. Huge veggy stir fry, veggy curry, veggie soup, etc etc. You don't have to feel hungry. Suffering is not necessary! <3

Katla - sorry your trip was in vain. I would be really disappointed too, but I know you have to take special care for your DH's health. Diabetes 1 and diarrhea are not a great combo. Add that into the MS and your 4 day journey home, I can quite understand his worries. <3

Going to make a big pot of bolognese sauce today. Will have tonight on roasted butternut squash and freeze the other half. I will use it to make a zucchini lasagne, using the zucchini instead of pasta and making the white sauce with cornflour instead of a roux. My sauce has chicken livers in it and it is really flavoursome.
    Then I will probably read my new biography of Charles Dickens. Love biographies! I do have a good film to watch, but might keep that for tonight.

About bedtimes - I don't know how you girls do it with this early bedtime and rising! ! ! ! Wow! All our decent TV programmes usually start at 9 pm so the earliest I go up is about 10.30. Then I read for half an hour or more, so drift off around 11pm or later. I wake a lot in the night for the toilet or aches and pains, but finally am awake around 6.30. I don't get up as I don't want to wake DH . Around 7 am I get up and make a cup of tea for the two of us. Sometimes if I wake really early I creep out of bed and go downstairs and read this thread for a while. I have been known to start a few exercises, but not recently. Our house is not very soundproof so I can't really get on with my day. If I have retired to the spare room I often read for a bit.

Sylvia - hope you are feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Well, must get on with dinner.
    Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • peachstategal
    Options
    Thank you Lillian and Janet! I will start logging again. Just need a few days to think about what I've been doing and why! I am going to ask my DH if he would at least go with me to investigate the gym. It would help him also, but, I don't know if he will go.

We are to the point where we need to rethink everything. Our house from top bonus room to basement is filled with the antiques DH and his family collected for the last 60 years. And, most of it is not furniture (which is what most folks think of as antiques). It's porcelains, glass, paintings, etc. I worry so much about what I will do if DH goes before me. It is overwhelming and getting him to get rid of anything is almost impossible.
  • peachstategal
    Options
    Thanks Heather! I just need to rethink everything I've been doing. Do I sound depressed. Yes, and I do take medication for it.

Carol ~ GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We are getting facemasks and going anyway. We'll stay in the hotel and be visited by healthy people. DH is mad. I hope he lets go of his frustration. Time to get breakfast then pack up and go.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Liz, welcome! I'm one of those morbidly obese people who was saved by MFP, and this thread specifically. I've tried to lose weight SO many times in my life and nothing ever worked for me till I found this. So far I've lost about 130 pounds and have 25 to go till I get to my goal. Logging my food, checking the data base, and logging my exercise has helped retrain my brain into a healthier way of life that I think I can maintain for the rest of my life. But it's just like anything else. You have to use it faithfully or it doesn't work. Stick with us!

I'm feeling a lot better today so far. Yesterday I had some of the gut pain - a lot like the blocked colon pain - but not as severe, and I was afraid I would have to go back to the hospital, but it settled down. I'm trying to pay attention to how I'm feeling. And I'm trying to figure out how to use the low-residue diet and still be low fat/low salt. It's tricky. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast, and they seem to be staying down, so I'm ahead of yesterday.

I'll be glad when I can start exercising again. I'm noticing that all my hard-earned muscle tone is gone. Hopefully it can come back. I'd like to feel strong and healthy again before we go to Spain in May.

We spent the night at the lake cabin for the first time since before my first bowel blockage. It was so nice out here yesterday evening. The lake is full of Canada geese, which I love to watch. It's a little noisy at night, but I have earplugs. Spot really wants to chase them. I'm afraid he's a bird killer. The other two don't pay any attention to birds.

Pip, that is a beautiful picture of Yogi. He looks so sweet. I just want to hug him! And such a beautiful coat!

Carol, I know how that feels, being stuck even though you want to do things. Too bad one of us doesn't live closer to be your activity buddy. Is there anybody you know who might want to do some exercise? It's easier to start if you have a friend doing it with you. I once put up a card on the bulletin board at the Y, saying "looking for an activity buddy", and got so many responses that I wound up matching up six sets of other people, but didn't find one for me. Nobody quite matched up to my work schedule. Now hubby is my buddy, when I'm feeling well enough to do it.

Katla, I understand being conflicted about seeing the kids. I'm terrified of catching a cold or flu now, since my health is so precarious. Kids are germ factories. Men seem to think they are invincible. Can you Skype?

Selena, the area where you live sounds wonderful. Several years ago we went on sabbatical to the desert in California and visited Petroglyph Canyon, which is on the China Lake navy base there. It was amazing! I had to laugh at the toilet paste thing. When my son was about 5 he wanted a drink one night and I filled a glass from the bathroom sink. He told everybody at kindergarten that his mom made him drink bath water. Mother of the year?

Well, I'm going to do a little housework and get ready to go back to the other house. I'm taking the kids bowling today, then back home to ride bikes. It's going to be a BEAUTIFUL day!

Sylvia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Go Katla! ! ! ! ! <3 ♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡

I have enough ragu for 3 meals! Hooray! I love having stuff ready in the freezer. A portion of the sauce is 230 cals each.

Carol GA - (((((hugs))))) Don't try to sort everything at once. One thing at a time. <3

Just had a Mother's Day call from DS#2 . :love: I would have liked a card, perfume and flowers, but I'll take the call! He is so, so busy and is trying to sort out everything they need to do for their kitchen extension. He has been cleaning out the cellar and taking stuff to the dump in a hired van. He has a really bad cold and so does DGD.
    Personally, I think they have taken on a lot. They are having their garden landscaped in a fortnight, (it is a small London garden), and then their whole kitchen knocked down so it can be extended sideways into the side reveal. (Terraced house) All this with two young children. All the kitchen and garden stuff will be going in the cellar. Hmmmm! :s
    We are staying up there next weekend so they can get out together and choose stuff.
    We did similar works in our house with two small children and it sent me into a severe depression. We had it much worse as my then husband did it all himself and it took years. Agony! I had no bathroom for a year with babies and a stillbirth. So you can imagine I am feeling for them. But my DDIL likes things the way dhe wants them and it will be fabulous in the end. Good job she earns a lot. Every magazine I pick up has quotes by her in it. Clever woman and very determined, but they do ask a lot of themselves. :ohwell:

Cup of tea calls and a Hot Cross Bun :D
    Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sunny here and will be warm (now 59!!!) today!!! Had Gemma for a one hour walk; or, I should say pull, her walking manners are appalling!!! . My neighbor has a very early (cherry????) tree just starting to bloom and the cherry trees in our park have buds that are starting to swell.........they'll be a couple weeks yet. MY daffys have buds that are moved into that right angle position they assume when on the cusp of opening; I am absolutely giddy with anticipation.

Sylvia..........Loved the joke!!!

Best to everyone, must run.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Rain this morning so the dogs didn't want to walk much. I let them go back in the house and continued the walk on my own. When I walk I listen to inspirational speakers and favorite music and use the time to inventory my life. It is a very productive time for me.

:D Heather, we pay for digital recording from our cable company so we can watch our favorite TV shows when we the time is right for us. In a few minutes we're going to watch a program and I'll fold laundry while I watch.

Carol in GA, I use the food logging function on MFP to plan my eating for the day ahead of time including an evening snack. Then I stay with the plan no matter what. I am motivated to do some exercise so I can consume so extra calories during the day so it all works together for success. If joining a gym is too big a step, how about taking a walk and making the walk a little longer each day?

:D My favorite walking friend has come back from Texas and is meeting me for a walk before lunch.

<3 Barbie
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Katla; hope you enjoy your visit!
    Cynthia
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello my fitness pal friends (Yes, when I speak of you I call you that, too.)
    Here’s some info about my “journey”. I am about 5’7” from old age shrinking. I have always carried more weight than many for my height (looked thin at 155). Struggled with emotional eating and yo-yoing for years. UP/DOWN/UP……… Right now I weigh 220.8. That is 52 pounds down from my all time heaviest a few years ago. Since July I have lost 30 or so pounds. My goal weight right now is 172 which would be an even 100 lbs lost. My doctor feels this is good goal weight that I can maintain. I may decide I can do 10 more pounds and keep it there but we’ll see. This time it is coming off for good!
    My MFB name comes from what I wish I could be more than what I am. My husband and I are a blended family with 3 kids and 7 grandkids. His daughter lives in Florida and has 4. We seldom see them. She is a wonderful “girl” and if we lived close I know we’d be connected to all the growing up activities, etc. Our sons (one his and one mine) have married some gals that are challenging to be close too. I do the best I can to have the closest relationship possible with my son, daughter-in-law, and grandson but it is not what I had hoped and dreamed of. We’re all rather dysfunctional but we make the best of it.

Got behind but now caught up so some comments are out dated:

Chris – I have used the soap in an old sock tucked in the end of the bed, too. It helped. What helped the most was getting my deep varicose veins in my thighs ablated with lasers.
    Gilly – my cat, not the covers, keeps me in bed too long. She is such a snuggler!
    Selena – No wonder you seem like such a well grounded woman – Your mom sounds strong and determined! Beautiful picture of your view!
    Barbie – joyful class time! I like your recent quote and love the “poster” about spring!
    Pip – you are the Energizer Bunny is disguise! I remember your sharing about your first husband. So touching that you use his “address” for your MFB name.
    Terri – glad you enjoyed your trip
    Diana – enjoyed the camel “poster” even though hump day doesn’t mean much when you are retired. In fact I work weekends now!
    Sylvia – I was planning to cheer for your “movements” and tummy “improvements” but now I am concerned again. (((HUGS))) I enjoyed the chuckles about “bowls and bowels” much more than the worry I feel now!
    Gail – Praying for you and your sister. My sister in Kansas has metastatic BC, too. She is doing well even after 4 years but we know the time will come when her battle will end.
    Vicki – don’t know if I could house share like you are having to do. You must have a big heart and lots of patience.
    Cary – I get so much inspiration from your quotes. Keep sharing them.
    Heather– The trip to the Abby sounds wonderful. One of the Great Courses my study group undertook was a history of European Art. We saw photos of wonderful architecture and glasswork in the old religious buildings. How wonderful to be able to see them in person!
    Joyce and Lesley – sweet thoughts about your moms Mine was difficult. I missed her before she was gone –but still have some fond memories
    Cynthia – YEAH for the job offer!
    Beth – if your son came to Belmont in Nashville we could get acquainted. BUT…I know mommas like to have kids closer. My sister’s son (40) teaches English in Hong Kong. It is so hard on her but he has taken a year off every now and then which is nice.
    Michele – sounds like your New Comers event went well. You did a good job of getting things organized. If I ever need an event planned I’m calling you.
    Kim – Poison anything is no fun. (HUGS)
    Katla – glad you are doing the trip. Hubby will get over it and be glad you did it in the long run.
    Lillian – It is wonderful that your friend is “seeing the light” about this journey. I have a dear friend who doesn’t and I pray she gets to this place.
    Carol – I have so been where you are. Think back to a time when you overcame something (even a small challenge). Do you remember how good it felt? You can get that feeling again. I suggest you make a phone call to the gym you are considering (I highly recommend YMCAs because they really care for their members). You can use the excuse of “What do I need to bring in to sign up……) That way you have made a contact before going in. Taking a friend with you to do that first inquiry visit is also a great idea. I am rooting for you. First steps are hard, but then often the rest is easy and even joyful. (PRAYERS AND HUGS)

Toni in Tennessee
    March Goals
    Take blood pressure and 2 hour blood sugar every day
    Log every bite and swallow
    Email, Facebook message, or call three teacher friends each week to encourage them through this challenging time of year (NOT DOING THIS AND DON’T KNOW WHY)
    Walk a minimum of 5,000 steps each day (MANY DAYS MORE)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Checking in.... multi tasking again - so I hope I accomplish something.
    -
    Katla - I am glad you are going to visit... so close...you have to go.

Snack time is over - must keep at the boxes in the basement... Not looking in them anymore. DH said keep his dad's old curling sweater.... good grief!!! It needs a knitter to repair it... and who is going to wear it anyway?

Lillian
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi gals! What a beautiful day it is here! The parade yesterday was fun; just your typical tiny-town parade. Most of the floats were business advertisements. The theme was "twisted St Pat's day" to honor the small town a few miles away that got blown away by the twin tornados last year. None of the floats really followed the theme; I'm not sure what anyone would have done with it, except for the town hair salon, they did a mock up of the rock group Twisted Sister and their ad was that their hair would look better if they came to the salon. It was cute...lots of kids and the local nursing home wrangled all the old folks out too. One of the guys in the jeep club brought his very muscular pit bull who wore a tiny green bowler hat on her head and looked totally ridiculous! She loved all the attention though!

We slept in late today; DH was up sick most of the night, not sure from what. But when he finally got out of bed, he felt better. Nothing much going on today; having corned beef and cabbage for dinner, having a conference call about the next edition of the text book (the new edition just came out in February!), decorating for EAster, that's about it.

Sylvia; so glad to hear you are better but please take care of yourself!!!!! In honor of your recovery, I am posting a joke for you:

What did the ocean say to the beach?
    Nothing, it just waved.

*groan*

OK take care all of you, welcome to the newbies, healing prayers to those who need them, and high fives all around! Meg from Omaha
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just got home after a 4 hour drive to cloquet and back. The man that sold me the weight set did not give me all the weights. I had to go back and pick them up. He still didn't give me 2- 10 pound weights that he said I should have had but karma can be very harsh so he will hopefully learn a lesson! He did give me 2 more 5 pound weights but I do need the 10 lbs to progress up to 25 lbs by 2.5 lb increments. I will just have to go buy them. His picture of the squat rack & weights showed the barbell with 4 10 lb weights on it so I could take him to conciliation court and probably win but my DH wants to let it go. I would have to pay the court fee and even if I won it is hard to collect. I will call Craigslist to see what they can do. Aside from that it is a beautiful day so I am going to enjoy the weather and do some spring cleaning!

Heather - your butternut squash sounds delicious! I like your idea of freezing your bolognaise sauce. happy Mother's Day! We don't have Mother's Day here until the second weekend in May and that is also fishing opener! so the men are usually busy and the women don't usually get treated special.

Katla - I am so glad you decided to get the face mask and go for a visit! even if they visit you at the hotel you still get to see them. your D H will be happy after he gets to see his daughter and grandchildren.

Sylvia - it sounds like you are feeling better! It takes a long time to get back to normal. my husband bowel obstruction was in early October and he still has to watch what he eats. he never got like you did with the queasy throwing up after he was released but he can sense when he starts to feel bloated. so half of the time he is still doing low fiber foods. Have a fun bike ride! And enjoy those grandkids!

Meg from Omaha - love your joke!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday ! ! !

Joyce - Thanks for the Texas Roadhouse suggestion of leaving off the cheese, bacon, and croutons. I will try that next time, because I always enjoy a good salad.
    -
    On the "sleep times" conversation: I can rarely stay up at night past 8-9:00pm. During the work week, and when DS has bowling on Saturdays Sundays, I get up at either 4am or 5am. This is so I can have an hour to myself for computer time, coffee, and watching the Morning News. DH leaves for work at 4:15am, and DS likes to be at school around 6:30am to lift weights. This works well for our family. We mostly get around 8 hours of sleep per night. My rheumatologist switched me from Ambian to a low dose of amatryptaline, so I usually sleep through the night again *except for the occasion bathroom trip or hot flash).

Today we took DS and a friend bowling, so DH could do some coaching. This other boy is entering the State tournament with a 145 average, and was able to stay around 170 with help from DH, so he's pretty happy right now. Then DH gave me a few coaching terms, since he will be about 3 hours away at a different tournament while the boys bowl. I don't think the State level has a "10 pin rule", so DS should be entering with his 165 average from last year, and this year he is closer to 189, so we have high hopes for him again, too. He averaged 213 at Milwaukee City Tournament, so that gave him 9th place for Team, 2nd place for Singles, 1st place for Doubles, and 2nd place for All Events. Huge accomplishment for him. Now, to find time to bowl a few times per month around his Track & Field and baseball schedules so he stays prepared for Junior Gold in Chicago this July (not sure how to make that happen, but we'll definitely try).

DD texted today. I feel honored that she seeks my advice on communicating with her patients at work. It usually comes down to "listen with your heart". She is such a sensitive soul, I hope she finally found her calling.

Better start getting my fruits and vegetables ready for the week.

Hugs (and prayers) to Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee