WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of "The Firm Lower Body" DVD. Tomorrow's plan is to do some balance games on the Wii.

Kim - in a way it's a good thing that your friend is moving out. She's getting on with her life, and that's a good thing. With the commute and all, wouldn't purprise me one bit if you saw her soon. Poison Oak in the eye? You poor dear

Diana in NE NB - Vince calls today "Trundicated pi day" since you have to stop at the 5 and not go to the 9. Next year it'll be "estimated Pi day" since 9 is rounded up so that'll make pi equal to 3.14.16. Now, I ask you, who is the nerd here?

katla - do ds and dd think about pi this way, too? so glad you were able to replace that med. Sorry to hear about SIL but glad that you're going anyway (even if it is to dh's dismay).

sassy
    - "cooked grapes"...love it! Thanks for the no pudge brownie recipe. I'm going to try getting it past Vince again. This time I won't let him see me putting the yogurt in it. I'll just tell him "it's a new brownie recipe" and see what happens.

Janet - The main reason we did the magical evening ourselves this year was because we had seen this magician and had a "somewhat" relationship with him. Should we do it next year, I think I know the poeple I would like to ask. They're the people the president asked to introuduce him, but Gary had no idea who he was so in the end Vince introduced him. Well, now Gary has seen him so it won't be like he's introducing someone strange. I'm going to work on Vince to do it again. I think everyone enjoyed themselves (and if they didn't, it was their own fault). I've gotten quite a few emails thanking me for a lovely evening. Even the president sent out a general email saying how nice it was. I just feel badly about the food. Since there are two ballrooms, one much smaller than the other, next time I'm going to ask if we couldn't have the food in the smaller room and then after dinner, just close off that portion and they can clean up?

Made cookies to take to Jess (I'll just put them in the freezer). She can have them out for the movers to munch on (which reminds me that I should probably take some plastic baggies with me since all her things will probably be packed up). then made a baked ziti for Vince for later in the week. Toward the end of the week I'll make one to take up to Jess since she'll may need something for dinner.

Carey - tell your son that this is "trundicated" pi day. That'll get him too. And next year it'll be "estimated pi day". Wonder if he realizes that. Boy, between Diana and my dh, you're going to come out on top with your son

pip
    - loved the eyes on your babies. Thanks for sharing. So sorry about your dh,. So young!

Jane
    - so glad daughter's surgery went well! Thanks for telling us. And good luck on your move

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    l061nii1fnr4.jpg

Exermom - u r right he was so young. I think oh him all the time. Here is yogi's pic today. 1 yr 2 months n 14 days. Still has his puppy face
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just marking my place. Hope everyone has had a good Satuday.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pip - Wow Yogi is so shinny!! Handsome dog.

Lillian
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies,

Lillian, I agree that it makes a huge impact when we realize that we are the ones that “choose”. We can always blame something or find an excuse but the bottom line is that we have a choice. I choose not to worry about things I have no control over. I choose to bypass bad foods (most of the time) and I take responsibility when I choose to eat bad foods. We pretty much control our lives and how we react to/handle different situations. Thanks for pointing that out. I love the way you choose to handle tasks. I look forward to seeing what you pull out of the jar next.

Sassy, glad Dr Alex is taking good care of you. Get better soon. Take the pampering while you can get it.

Mary, I was just thinking about you and wondering how the 5x5 was going. Thanks for the update.

Beth, I think of Pip every time I see that Hershey’s commercial, too. It’s interesting about your family’s eating and wanting to stick to the healthier food. Good for you.

Heather
    , so glad the dinner went well. And that DH enjoyed it, too. It’s a lazy day for me, too.

Sue
    , it is so exciting that you got a contract on your house but yes, that is when the real work begins. Take it one step at a time and you will get there. Finding a new home is very exciting and I hope you get exactly what you are looking for.

Pip, congrats on that 2 pounds. It sounds like you may not have needed it? Don’t you go getting’ skinny on us now!

Terri, I hope you enjoy your dinner at Texas Roadhouse. It sounds like you made some smart choices.

Leslie, that is sad about no contact with grands. Hopefully that will change some day. *hugs*

Jane, I’m glad the surgery went well. Good luck with the move.

Pip, I just love Yogie! Good that you live so far away, so no fear of me dognapping him.

I hope you all have a restful night.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Shiny dog servants, early risers, creative explain-ers (cooked grapes :) ), walkers, talkers, line-dancers, cyclists, writers, artists, mothers, poets, grandmothers, weight-losers, milestone achievers, above all... friends. I like this group! Thanks for sharing your lives.

Katla if you end up on your return journey near Flaming Gorge, UT, let me know as I live not far from there. Maybe you'd like to go for a hike in my neck of the woods?

Hugs Lesley... thinking of you!

My 9 yr. old son just came in and said "The toilet paste won't come out of the tube." Oh heavens, I hope that child is not brushing his teeth with "toilet" paste!!

Have a good weekend, everyone!
    Selena
    Utah
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    After years of being on Weight Watchers or another diet, doing Dietbet, my main goal for March is to not set any limits with the exception of food. I am not doing anything too restrictive. I set my parameters for 1.5 lbs loss a week. I am allowing MFP to increase my food with exercise (something I would never do in the past). I will workout, maybe 3-4 times a week, I will try to push myself to do heavier lifts or increase my speed on the treadmill. I wanted to give up the scale this month but I am so addicted I have to weigh myself everyday.
    My March goals:
    Work on my self esteem (seems to go hand in hand with my weight) I will tell myself that I am worthwhile. I will not berate myself if I eat something I think I shouldn't be.
    Work on my finances. Just like your quote about wanting something the most or in the moment. I have to remember what I heard from Suze Orman. Today's desire equals tomorrow's debt.
    Good Luck everyone!

I really identify with you. I am doing so much better with MFP this time around. I had to change my thinking in order to change my weight. I went from a can't do to a can do attitude. I still struggle from time to time and recommitted today to doing better once again.

Good luck to you too
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Had a rough day. Not feeling too good. Going to bed. I hope you are all enjoying good weather. It was really nice here. I'll try to be more chatty tomorrow.

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

When NASA was preparing for the Apollo Project, it took the astronauts to a Navajo reservation in Arizona for training. One day, a Navajo elder and his son came across the space crew, who were walking among the rocks.

The elder, who spoke only Navajo, asked a question. His son translated for the NASA people:

"What are these guys in the big suits doing?"

One of the astronauts said they were practicing for a trip to the moon. When his son relayed this comment, the Navajo elder got all excited and asked if it would be possible to give the astronauts a message to deliver to the moon.

Recognizing a promotional opportunity when he saw one, a NASA official accompanying the astronauts said, "Why certainly!" and told an underling to get a tape recorder. The Navajo elder's comments into the microphone were brief. The NASA official asked the son if he would translate what his father had said. The son listened to the recording and laughed uproariously. But he refused to translate.

So the NASA people took the tape to a nearby Navajo village and played it for other members of the tribe. They too laughed long and loudly but also refused to translate the elder's message to the moon.

Finally, an official government translator was summoned. After he finally stopped laughing, the translator relayed the message:

"Watch out for these guys! They've come to steal your land."

:D
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Terri - have a nice supper! Good for you looking up food options!

Lesley - ( ( ( hugs ) ) )

Jane - good news about your daughters surgery!

Barbie - I can't believe you get up so early! I think I am just going to bed around that time. You go girl!

Michele in NC - you are an exercise Diva! I love your variety. I have never thought about exercising on the Wii.. I will have to look into what disc I have with mine.

Selena - we were at Flaming Gorge last year! Beautiful! My DH'S, DD lives in UT. You are very fortunate to live there. Kids say the darnest things lol

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    l061nii1fnr4.jpg

Exermom - u r right he was so young. I think oh him all the time. Here is yogi's pic today. 1 yr 2 months n 14 days. Still has his puppy face

what a beautiful lab!!!!! I had one once. his name was boots. he was still a puppy at 12.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary from MN: I am really impressed with how much you will be lifting. WOW!

Carey in Edmonton: Your dad sounds like a smart man. Nice quote.

Beth in WNY: Yay! Your family appreciates your food. What a nice thing.

Heather: Thanks for the good wishes. I've been looking forward to seeing DD and my grandchildren. I hope DH & I don’t catch anything, too. We’re taking vitamin C twice a day. Getting to see your friend when you go to London will make it an even better trip.

Sue in SD, soon to be Sue in WA: I’m proud that you are procrastinating. If a person is going to crastinate, she needs to do it right. This move to the PNW is taking some time. I hope you’ll be happy here. Being close to your daughter is a good thing and this is a beautiful part of the world.

Leslie: Mildred was special. Grieving takes its own time. :heart:

Jane: Good news on the upcoming move. I hope you’ll be happy and have a long time to enjoy the new place.

Selena: Where is Flaming Gorge, UT?

Just got a text from DD. DGD is sick again. My husband wants to go home, and so do I. It will break DD’s heart if we do, so I told him no. I have about 8 hours to figure out what to do. ADVICE NEEDED! Not that I promise to follow it. It will just give me a better perspective to look at the situation.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Katla - why not go to the pharmacy and get those Masks that are supposed to help to prevent the spread of airborne germs. that way you could still visit even if its for a short time.
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Katla: The hotel is already booked. You are already away from home. You and DH need a perspective change on this mini vacation. Continue onward, enjoy each others company, see something new. Stop at some outlandish roadside site or 2. There is always at least one spot on a trip that you pass and think; Hmmmmm, one day we oughta stop. Make that day today. :D

When at your hotel take a really good look at the city and the surrounding area see if anything sounds interesting. Meet daughter for lunch, brunch, or such. Sick people stay home. I know you wanted to see the grands but since this is their second time round with the bug, maybe it wont be as bad or last as long? Surely with Spring in the air and it being St. Pattys weekend there has got to be some funzie things to do. :D

Heck worse comes to worse google Flaming Gorg and go meet Selena on the way back. The town itself sounds interesting. How did it get its name? Historys mystery... figure it out! :D

Since this is time sensitive I am posting now and will do me for realz post next...lol

Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    • If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

• Being Fat is Hard.
    Losing Weight is Hard.
    Maintenance is Hard.

Choose Your Hard.

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Linda, Ontario. Call the Fit Bit support. They are famous for their support. Sometimes they even send out a new device.

Pacemakerbabe, welcome. There must be an interesting story behind your name. My ideas are that you are a nurse that works in the department that installs them, you are a representative from the company, you yourself have one or a loved one had one. Maybe some other people could tell is the story behind their user names. Mine are just my initials with an added letter, well just because I added it!

Janet in Mrytle Beach, We eat out every night. Yes, I do a lot of research on the internet to find my meals ahead of time. The reason we eat out is that Charlie does not know the meaning of left overs. Eating out i way of portion control. And he likes to be leaving the house by 4:45 or so. He said he is beating the crowd! So far I haven't found any meals he likes that are just two or 3 serving. So on that odd day I do cook at home, I like to cook later since he knows it makes for a long evening for me to be done eating at around 6 or earlier. But it still has to be at 5. So then he spends the evening eating the rest. I have tried cooking in and immediately putting the half of it in the freezer. well he just takes it out. And then good hearty soup or chili, his servings are huge and then always takes seconds.

Pip, I have a friend that has 3 collies and they have that exact look and stance looking at her. I love the story of your username. What a way to honor him

Beth, WNY, don't feel like a failure. Just think of how you have changed your families life for the better. and you children may take that good way of cooking on into their own home, passing it on to your grand kids. well you get the picture, You are changing the world!!!!

Moving, congrats on your home contract. I have wanted to move at one point. In fact I told everyone it was my goal to be out of our house by a certain date. then I looked at the terrible chore of packing my house. It is just husband and I here now and we have lived here since 1978. Lots of stuff. I had a dream last night about having some one come and give us a bid to build a new deck. So as we talked to him about what I, notice I said I, wanted redone in the house. so we agreed to a total remodel and it was $199,000. It wasn't a total gut job, but I want wider stairs for a possible down the road chair lift, and I want my kitchen totally redone, 3 rooms redone, and all bathrooms redone to bring them into the 20th century.

Terri in Milwaukee, I would love to do scuba diving!!!1 I am so jealous of your son. Glad eh could have some time with you first. I have a cousin who is a professional scuba diver for the navy and the pictures he brings back are breathtaking. I have tried snorkeling and failed miserably at that. We go to Texas roadhouse every Wednesday night. I have the grilled chicken salad but leave off the bacon, croutons and cheese. I love their rolls but they are a no, no. Tonight we went to Pizza Hut and I get and individual pan veggie lovers pizza. Wonderful

Sylvia, oh Sylvia. Feel better sweetie. I hope this doesn't continue. And isn't it terrible that you feel bad on a weekend when you don't have your doctor. Loved, loved your joke

Katla, I agree with fanncy, think about going to a pharmacy and getting masks, maybe gloves and lots of hand sanitizer.

I have a cousin that lives in the PNW, near Seattle. She is quite a photographer. She takes a lot of pictures of the whales, light houses, hiking, etc. They are just like my family, since Mom died when she lived here, family considers this home. My cousin is one of 7 kids and all of them go to Seattle every year for a family reunion. I am so jealous of that. Just the idea of a family reunion sounds o nice. But my brothers don't have that kind of money. Maybe it's what they prioritize. OK, I have been long winded enough.

Joyce, Indiana

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DH is adamant that we're going home. I'm too tired to fight about it right now, and I more than partly agree with him. I'll sleep on it.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    We had a lovely drive out and talked about Mildred. Stan misses her so much, he used to feed her breakfast and tea. He slept with her for 3 weeks. No tearing up as we chatted
    Had lunch at Anvers Chocolate, turkey and salad sandwich and hot chocolate.
    Now home in time to watch F! in Melbourne.
    Arnold S is there for the body building and fitness expo in Melbourne, but loves motor racing.
    OK must go.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh, HELLO everyone! I'm new here. I'm SO pleased to find other women in the 50+ range on this site. I turned 50 last fall and since then, my weight has just pretty much been going up about a pound a month! Gracious! I saw some video where the morbidly obese person claimed this website saved him, so I came to check it out. I'm 5'8" and 180 horrifying lbs. I can't do another crazy diet, juice fast, water fast, parasite cleanse or any other weirdness. Too many years of it! I'll be reading your posts and getting to know you. :D I'm SO grateful to find this community!

Oh yes...two more things: You can call me Liz. And whomever "MollyWhippet" is - thank you for your jokes. I needed a laugh tonight.

March Goal:

1. Become proficient at using this site on my iPhone.
    2. Figure out why sometimes the BAR code scanner brings up quite different items than the one I'm trying to log into the system
    3. Make new gfs in my age group who are succeeding at this crazy weight loss thing. (I hope some of you are!!!!!!!)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I am still in catch up mode on everyone’s posts and am so far behind I am not commenting on most… but
    Liz in VA I am really surprised that you are not hitting 10K steps on the fitbit.. I am regularly over 11K – I do a 5 mile walk and hit it at about 4 miles. … hmm – I have had my fitbit since fall and really love it. It has made me more accountable and I love that it is easy, I wear it and that is that…

And Sylvia I am really worried about you (Mayo Clinic sounds like a good idea) but am hoping in the next 4 days worth of posts I will find out that things are well.

Ok, so I read pages 12-18 and have read to March 10th – good grief!! But it is late and I spent today helping my housemate move (14,500 steps) …. I have to get some sleep as tomorrow is a busy day!

March goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Katla I agree with Fanncy and Sassy on going with a Plan B for your trip, but your DH gets a vote, too. Flaming Gorge is in NE Utah probably an hour away from Rock Springs, WY. It sounds like you'll be heading home, but if you do decide to take a scenic route, it is beautiful there. I live about south of there in a spot 3 miles from a reservoir that has actual dinosaur tracks in the stone around it (no need to go to a museum to see plaster casts :). And a half hour walk from our cabin are petroglyphs. It is very different from where I grew up in central Alberta, Canada and for my husband who was raised in Georgia, but so beautiful. Whichever route you decide to take home, though, I wish you safe travels and good memories.