Addicted to 2% milk, is it bad for me?

Options

Replies

• terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    milk and cookies here. i drink 1%, mostly 2%, and full fat sometimes, half and half and heavy cream when i make my homemade ice cream, also love me some chocolate milk too.
    cornbread and milk yesssss!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of a glass of milk but my body doesn't. If you can drink it and fit it into your goals, go for it!

Is that a multi - coloured turd in your avatar picture ?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I used to be fine with milk, but now find it bloats me up and makes me feel very full. Oddly, I am fine with cottage cheese, cheese and Greek Yoghurt however. I also hit issues having whey protein powder, so I stick to soya milk and hazelnut milk mostly, but occasionally go for a full fat cappuccino...it is useful in that it does fill me up for hours.
  • leokev
    leokev Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you tried Organic Soy Milk or Almond Milk? I like the Plain Soy Milk in cereal and such. Never tried just drinking it though.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    YES IF YOU DRINK MILK YOU WILL DIE SQUIRREL AIDS! ITS NOT FUNNY >.<
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits within your calories, go for it - I drink 1-2 glasses a day myself. Milk does have fat, but it also has protein, calcium and other vitamins that are good for you. And 2% milk isn't really that bad as far as fat goes (and tastes WAY better than fat-free).
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I used to drink skim milk, then my husband and i were trying to eat more primal-ish which goes for full fat dairy, so we switched to whole milk. I started off ordering my macchiatos made with whole milk, and now there is no going back. It has so much more flavor. Someone mentioned that there is a lot of sugar in milk, and that holds true especially for skim because once you take out the fat, you need to make it taste a little better.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I drink whole organic (sometimes raw) milk. It's better for you (less processed) and the fat keeps you fuller longer.

I read somewhere that when skim milk first started being produced, farmers gave it to pigs to make them fatter faster because the skim milk makes them hungrier so they ate more.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    No issues with it. I drink 1% but I'm thinking of switching to 2% or even whole milk since I don't drink it that often. It's mainly for my coffee and cooking.

ETA; Why would it be bad for adults? You still need calcium regardless of your age.

I can't drink whole because it makes me sick....blegh. I'm not sure why it would be. I mean, it's milk!!!. I've heard stuff like, "Mammals don't need it after they've been weaned,and humans are mammals, so they don't need it when they get older. It's bad for you." or "Milk has too much fat content,and adults can't process it, so it will make you fat." just junk like that. It seemed like it was reaching to me,but I'm not an expert, so I thought I would get some second opinions.

Many modern humans, i.e. those from populations who have practice dairy farming for many generations, have evolved the ability to digest milk as adults. This is due to the lactase persistance gene. If you don't have this gene, then milk can make you really ill. If you have this gene, then enjoy eating dairy.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I used to drink skim milk, then my husband and i were trying to eat more primal-ish which goes for full fat dairy, so we switched to whole milk. I started off ordering my macchiatos made with whole milk, and now there is no going back. It has so much more flavor. Someone mentioned that there is a lot of sugar in milk, and that holds true especially for skim because once you take out the fat, you need to make it taste a little better.

At least in the UK where I'm from, there is no added sugar in skimmed milk.

Fat free yoghurts and things like that may well have added sweeteners or sugars but plain dairy milk is just that - milk with more or less fat removed.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I drink whole raw milk right out of a Jersey cows nip with the cream and all, so I definitely don't think 2% is bad for you.

yum yum yumy yum yum :flowerforyou:

raw milk rocks! :drinker:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I drink whole raw milk right out of a Jersey cows nip with the cream and all, so I definitely don't think 2% is bad for you.

yum yum yumy yum yum :flowerforyou:

raw milk rocks! :drinker:

Also jersey ftw.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Warm milk? We had a boy from Honduras here and he had to have his milk warmed because he was used to milk straight from the cow.
    I don't think I'd like warm milk.
    Cold or HOT(with cocoa)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at all Costs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O-ehIkwGME

hmmmm... avoid milk... your arm is in a sling

*just teasing you ;)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I used to be fine with milk, but now find it bloats me up and makes me feel very full. Oddly, I am fine with cottage cheese, cheese and Greek Yoghurt however. I also hit issues having whey protein powder, so I stick to soya milk and hazelnut milk mostly, but occasionally go for a full fat cappuccino...it is useful in that it does fill me up for hours.

Nothing odd here--you are lactose intolerant.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/lactose-intolerance-symptoms

The reason cultured milk products do not give you trouble is that they do not have lactose in them--or at least the amounts they do have are negligible compared to milk. Lactobacilli consume lactose (a kind of sugar) in the process of culturing the milk, which is why the resulting dairy products are far less sweet than regular uncultured milk is. Usually, whey is separated from the casein protein in the process of culturing the milk, although powdered whey is sometimes added back in, especially in low-fat or nonfat dairy products. My favorite kind of fat free ricotta has added whey powder in it.
  • poopinshmicken
    Options
    2% milk has a higher content of conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs). CLAs have been proven to help shed fat. It has a slightly higher calorie in-take, though. Worth it, I'd say. It does have more saturated fat, but those are the good saturated fats.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

*just teasing you ;)
    Milk did that to me.......
  • fastfoodv
    fastfoodv Posts: 41
    Options
    I don’t recommend 2% milk as it’s still high in fat, calorie and cholesterol. Can you go down to 1%? It’s a better choice.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

*just teasing you ;)
    Milk did that to me.......

Awwwwww... I drink whole milk and full fat dairy daily, clean fracture through my collar bone and shoulder a month ago, already healed. No 8 weeks for me! :)
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i dont have any advice. I don't really like plain milk. only eat it in oatmeal and coffee really...and thats the skim stuff.

That said i have the same sort of passion and addiction for peanut butter.