Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Excuse me ladies and gentlemen, I do agree with Lgabrjolek because that's what I did myself, and result is reducing body fat % while gaining muscle mass. I'm not certified trainer or doctor, I'm just an engineer who used to read, read, read, and read then turn on my analysis skills. I just want to consent that what Lgabrjolek is correct and works because it really works with me. MrM27, I don't know why you are so aggressive, two people here claim they did it, so why all those info is wrong? Please review your information MAY BE you are wrong, or some misunderstanding is in the middle.

Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you say in your success thread that you lost a lot of muscle (during weight loss) then had to bulk to regain some muscle?

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yes, you can. You have to eat at maintenance levels or just slightly under. The process is slow and takes a looong time according to most.
    ajnb88 wrote: »
    I've done so for the past few months, but no one has any idea how the hell I'm doing so, considering how much I eat to try and gain weight.

Last check (a few days ago) I'd gained 0.5 kg muscle and lost 1.2kg fat in three weeks.
    Lgabrjolek wrote: »
    Lean muscle is gained with higher protein intake (don't over do it). You want to gain lean muscle weight, so stay away from bad fatty foods and limit your sugar intake. If you do a lot of cardio, you will lose weight more rapidly. Lift full slow reps and sets. Push yourself hard and rejuvenate your muscles with proteins (baked fish, chicken breast baked) after your workout. If you stay away from sweets and junk food, you can guarantee yourself results. You will even gain more energy to perform your workouts. MY BEST ADVICE: NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST! SKIPPING CAN ACTUALLY MAKE YOU GAIN UNWANTED FAT!

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

These guys are right! That's what's happening to me right now. I've lost 15 lbs currently but I didn't lose muscle mass. In fact I got stronger which indicates I've been gaining muscle because it's very rare for you to get stronger and not gain muscle. Hell...right now I'm benching my own body weight (195 lbs.) for my PR and will go for 205 lbs one of these days.
    Actually it's more common to get stronger without gaining mass than vice versa
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Yes, you can. You have to eat at maintenance levels or just slightly under. The process is slow and takes a looong time according to most.
    I've done so for the past few months, but no one has any idea how the hell I'm doing so, considering how much I eat to try and gain weight.

Last check (a few days ago) I'd gained 0.5 kg muscle and lost 1.2kg fat in three weeks.
    Lean muscle is gained with higher protein intake (don't over do it). You want to gain lean muscle weight, so stay away from bad fatty foods and limit your sugar intake. If you do a lot of cardio, you will lose weight more rapidly. Lift full slow reps and sets. Push yourself hard and rejuvenate your muscles with proteins (baked fish, chicken breast baked) after your workout. If you stay away from sweets and junk food, you can guarantee yourself results. You will even gain more energy to perform your workouts. MY BEST ADVICE: NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST! SKIPPING CAN ACTUALLY MAKE YOU GAIN UNWANTED FAT!

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

These guys are right! That's what's happening to me right now. I've lost 15 lbs currently but I didn't lose muscle mass. In fact I got stronger which indicates I've been gaining muscle because it's very rare for you to get stronger and not gain muscle. Hell...right now I'm benching my own body weight (195 lbs.) for my PR and will go for 205 lbs one of these days.

Oh really...well a personal trainer on YT said that if you get stronger, you do gain muscle but I think you could be right.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

Oh really...well a personal trainer on YT said that if you get stronger, you do gain muscle but I think you could be right.

Getting stronger =/= gaining mass.

Neuroadaptation.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

Not the best place to get information
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

Not the best place to get information
    RGv2 wrote: »

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

Getting stronger =/= gaining mass.

Neuroadaptation.

Ok...I believe you.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

No that does not mean muscle gains. A lot of our strength comes from CNS adaptation and becoming more efficient due to repetition.

Please check my post below you..... I get it....you guys are right...please the love of all that is Holy...I don't want 10 different people telling me the same *kitten* I've heard before from the original person.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

No that does not mean muscle gains. A lot of our strength comes from CNS adaptation and becoming more efficient due to repetition.

Please check my post below you..... I get it....you guys are right...please the love of all that is Holy...I don't want 10 different people telling me the same *kitten* I've heard before from the original person.
    No need to get upset. Use it as a learning experience. Fact check the information you hear before passing it along so that this won't happen.

True dat....good advice.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    edited March 2015
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

A perfect example would be when I was 220 lbs and maybe 35% bf I was deadlifting 135 or so and benching dumbbells at the time at 40 lbs. After I dropped down to 142 lbs and 10% bf I was deadlifting 335 and benching 215. I did not have more muscle at 142 lbs but I was a hell of a lot stronger.

Btw good job on those strength gains :)
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When eating in a deficit you are much more trying to hold onto muscle than gain a lot. Lift as heavy as you can on a proven beginners lifting program, hit your macros, and keep at it. I don't know why this topic is so beat to death, but there seams to be a new thread here daily about it.

If you want to lose weight, eat in a deficit.
    If you want to lose weight and maintain as much muscle mass as possible, eat in a deficit and lift heavy stuff.
    If you want to gain any serious muscle you are going to have to eat to get it and accept the fact that some fat will come with it.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

No need to get upset....#2 if you're counting. Congrats on the PR. Keep progressing, worry less about the fat/muscle ratio.

• heartpie
    heartpie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great progress...!
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    When eating in a deficit you are much more trying to hold onto muscle than gain a lot. Lift as heavy as you can on a proven beginners lifting program, hit your macros, and keep at it. I don't know why this topic is so beat to death, but there seams to be a new thread here daily about it.

If you want to lose weight, eat in a deficit.
    If you want to lose weight and maintain as much muscle mass as possible, eat in a deficit and lift heavy stuff.
    If you want to gain any serious muscle you are going to have to eat to get it and accept the fact that some fat will come with it.

"Thumbs up"
  • Sayadewa
    Sayadewa Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I'm over weight than my idle weight. Can i know what are the excersies and the required diet to control and reduce my weight.

http://www.the-gshplaza.sg/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz
    I have to say no pretty much to everything unless you mean "saturated fats" when you say bad fatty foods.