Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle?

Options

Replies

• jessido99
    jessido99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    And in conclusion every body is different so what works for one doesn't for another. Trial and error is what I think.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jessido99 wrote: »
    And in conclusion every body is different so what works for one doesn't for another. Trial and error is what I think.

actually no, we are not ...

gain muscle = eat in a surplus for everyone
    calorie deficit = lose body fat
    maintenance = recomp

caveats:

untrained beginners can have newbie gains and build some muscle in a deficit.
    high performance athletes may be able to build some muscle in a deficit

t
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jessido99 wrote: »

actually no, we are not ...

gain muscle = eat in a surplus for everyone
    calorie deficit = lose body fat
    maintenance = recomp

caveats:

untrained beginners can have newbie gains and build some muscle in a deficit.
    high performance athletes may be able to build some muscle in a deficit

t

this. the whole 'every body is different' argument is not seeing the forest for the trees. if all bodies (aside from the outliers with medical conditions) didn't function in the same way, we would never be able to draw any scientific conclusions about the human body, ever. Science works *because* we are all pretty much the same.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Damirov wrote: »
    Thanks for advice!! So you think its better to go for bulk, consume more kcal, and after few weeks start to to do more cardio and less kcal? Would be faster?
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I am thinking if its possible by cutting some kcal intake and carbs? Can achieve that? How has an expetience on that?
    Thanks
    Possible yes. It takes a lot of attention to detail and it does take a longer route to achieve. A great source is Alan Aragon (who's an MFP member) and Lyle McDonald.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Contrary to popular belief from many fitness sites and magazines, gaining muscle is a long painstaking task. Where many get confused is when they feel stronger and see more muscle definition, everyone thinks they gained muscle. So what you really need to figure out is how much muscle you really want to gain (if any), and create a program on doing it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yes, you can. You have to eat at maintenance levels or just slightly under. The process is slow and takes a looong time according to most.

ninerbuff wrote: »
    I am thinking if its possible by cutting some kcal intake and carbs? Can achieve that? How has an expetience on that?
    Thanks
    Possible yes. It takes a lot of attention to detail and it does take a longer route to achieve. A great source is Alan Aragon (who's an MFP member) and Lyle McDonald.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How long?
    For many, YEARS. Just on a regular bulk and cut cycle for me, from 19 to about 23 years old I added on 35lbs of weight with maybe 2/3 of that being muscle at most. And that was at a surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LOL at the broscience ITT and using bodybuilding.com as a source. Critical thinking is a lost art
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    dmeyerman wrote: »
    Try this resource and take what you can from it. It is mostly about diet and exercise, not so much all the suppliments imo.

Jim Stoppani 6 week shortcut-to-shred nutrition overview
    It's a "clean" eating "short cut". If one doesn't plan to eat that way the rest of their life, then the "shred" doesn't last long. Also doing this isn't really going to increase muscle mass. More likely to help retain what muscle is there.
    Would say great for a competitor for pre comp. The average gym person, not so much.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ndj1979
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    LOL at the broscience ITT and using bodybuilding.com as a source. Critical thinking is a lost art

cosigned...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lgabrjolek wrote: »
    Just to clarify. Lean muscle is different from 'bulky muscle'
    What is "bulky muscle"? There is no such thing. Skeletal muscle is just that, skeletal muscle. When you increase it, it's just lean muscle. You can accumulate more fat around the muscle, but that doesn't change the "lean" muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    your flaw is assuming that you eat the fried potato in a vacuum and that is the only thing that a person would consume.

so, if my day consists of eggs, egg whites, bacon, whole wheat bread, turkey, yogurt, and then for dinner I have fish, vegetables, and fry some potato in olive oil, and hten have ice cream for dessert is that then "unhealthy" because I fried some potatoes in olive oil?

please post said studies that you are referring to.

and yes 1000 calories of burger king = 1000 calories of raw meat...(who the hell eats raw meat anyway?)

You misunderstand me or may be my English is not good enough to explain. What I mean is "Ice Cream" or "Burger King" is the only unhealthy food you get, I didn't say adding such meal will ruin your whole day or diet.

Raw meat as of my knowledge is meat without any additions and minimally processed, like roasted steak :smile:
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm more than happy to have discussions and debate. However it's pretty clear from your posts that you want to deal in hypothetical situations. There are many things that can't be discussed that way and pretty much everything that has discussed so far have clear answers. When people are wrong they need to be told they are wrong and not allowed to spread misinformation as being factual.

Thanks for telling us we are wrong, I will stop spreading misinformation as being factual. Please support the thread with scientific papers your information based on it to allow us have more correct information.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well, congratulations we can agree on something! " Lean is a physical appearance that someone achieves. Bulk is something someone does to add muscle while eating at a caloric surplus. If you have different meanings then feel free to share. "

Now for the Fasting defence.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fuel-to-burn-only-fat-loss-fools-train-on-empty-stomach.html

:wink:
    So a "writer" with no credentials or actual degrees in physiology (that were credited to him anyway) or a peer reviewed clinical study from the NCBI and the Journal of Applied Physiology..............let's see.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3253005/

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Um, I've lost about 40lbs lifting weights fasted and then not eating for about 4 hours after finishing my workout. Was I supposed to get fat doing this? HAVE I BEEN DOING IT WRONG THIS WHOLE TIME?!?!?!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    your flaw is assuming that you eat the fried potato in a vacuum and that is the only thing that a person would consume.

so, if my day consists of eggs, egg whites, bacon, whole wheat bread, turkey, yogurt, and then for dinner I have fish, vegetables, and fry some potato in olive oil, and hten have ice cream for dessert is that then "unhealthy" because I fried some potatoes in olive oil?

please post said studies that you are referring to.

and yes 1000 calories of burger king = 1000 calories of raw meat...(who the hell eats raw meat anyway?)

You misunderstand me or may be my English is not good enough to explain. What I mean is "Ice Cream" or "Burger King" is the only unhealthy food you get, I didn't say adding such meal will ruin your whole day or diet.

Raw meat as of my knowledge is meat without any additions and minimally processed, like roasted steak :smile:

context and dosage is what matters.

yes, if you get 75% of your day from burger king and ice cream that is going to put you in the unhealthy range..

however, if you have already hit your macro/micro targets for the day, then eating some ice cream and burger king does not negate your day...

to me raw = uncooked

what you are referring to I guess is meat with no seasoning...?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Um, I've lost about 40lbs lifting weights fasted and then not eating for about 4 hours after finishing my workout. Was I supposed to get fat doing this? HAVE I BEEN DOING IT WRONG THIS WHOLE TIME?!?!?!

LOL

I never eat pre-workout....lunch is about 12:00 and I am in the gym around 4:00 ...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Maybe it would help us to get on the same page if you post the studies to which you're referring and tell us what conclusions you're drawing as a result.

This is for the tomato example

The document:
    http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN99_06/S0007114507868486a.pdf&code=f49013aaa70a5c145367dab8427fc72d

The article
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/raw-veggies-are-healthier/

Hmm that doesn't really clear things up at all. With which part of my posts are you disagreeing and why do you think this article/study refutes them?

eta: I suspect there's something of a language barrier here, so I may not be understanding what you're trying to say based on that.
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    however, if you have already hit your macro/micro targets for the day, then eating some ice cream and burger king does not negate your day...

to me raw = uncooked

what you are referring to I guess is meat with no seasoning...?

I agree with you. and yes I mean meat with no seasoning with minimal processing
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Agree with some of it. When it comes to fat loss, regardless of training method, calorie deficit is the MOST important factor.

You should just look beyond bb.com. Lots of the information from the site is broscience. Don't put blinders on. Be OBJECTIVE about information and not subjective. There is so much false information in the fitness industry and lots of sheep that follow it because peers "heard" it from someone else.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • hanymamdouh
    Options

Maybe it would help us to get on the same page if you post the studies to which you're referring and tell us what conclusions you're drawing as a result.

This is for the tomato example

The document:
    http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN99_06/S0007114507868486a.pdf&code=f49013aaa70a5c145367dab8427fc72d

The article
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/raw-veggies-are-healthier/

Hmm that doesn't really clear things up at all. With which part of my posts are you disagreeing and why do you think this article/study refutes them?

eta: I suspect there's something of a language barrier here, so I may not be understanding what you're trying to say based on that.

It is reference to tomato example, I attached the study and the article that mentioned how antioxidants change because of temperature. I thought you were asking reference to that issue only.