Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle?

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yes, you can. You have to eat at maintenance levels or just slightly under. The process is slow and takes a looong time according to most.

ninerbuff wrote: »
    Damirov wrote: »
    I am thinking if its possible by cutting some kcal intake and carbs? Can achieve that? How has an expetience on that?
    Thanks
    Possible yes. It takes a lot of attention to detail and it does take a longer route to achieve. A great source is Alan Aragon (who's an MFP member) and Lyle McDonald.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

How long?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Yes, you can. You have to eat at maintenance levels or just slightly under. The process is slow and takes a looong time according to most.

I am thinking if its possible by cutting some kcal intake and carbs? Can achieve that? How has an expetience on that?
    Thanks
    Possible yes. It takes a lot of attention to detail and it does take a longer route to achieve. A great source is Alan Aragon (who's an MFP member) and Lyle McDonald.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How long?

from what I have seen about a year..

but I believe that hornsby has been at it for nine months and has had nice results...
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Lgabrjolek wrote: »
    Lean muscle is gained with higher protein intake (don't over do it). You want to gain lean muscle weight, so stay away from bad fatty foods and limit your sugar intake. If you do a lot of cardio, you will lose weight more rapidly. Lift full slow reps and sets. Push yourself hard and rejuvenate your muscles with proteins (baked fish, chicken breast baked) after your workout. If you stay away from sweets and junk food, you can guarantee yourself results. You will even gain more energy to perform your workouts. MY BEST ADVICE: NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST! SKIPPING CAN ACTUALLY MAKE YOU GAIN UNWANTED FAT!

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

THIS IS ALL BAD ADVICE!!!!

• tomatoey
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Thanks

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How long?

but I believe that hornsby has been at it for nine months and has had nice results...

Oh, ok - neither is that long. One week of cutting at a 20% deficit would feel way longer.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Lgabrjolek wrote: »
    When you skip breakfast, you will be sending your body into "starving mode". It is not good for your metabolism. Your brain will crave very high calorie foods.

Here is a good link that tells you some more of the reasons NOT to skip breakfast!

http://www.mdhil.com/8-health-reasons-you-should-never-skip-breakfast/

-Liz

Please explain if i eat my 500 cal for breakfast or if i eat an extra 500 cal at lunch will make any difference?

Or better yet, what if i had a 250cal breakfast and a 250cal snack?

end of the day/week/month.Year

ITS ALL THE DAM SAME
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thanks

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How long?

Oh, ok - neither is that long. One week of cutting at a 20% deficit would feel way longer.

i am cutting right now on 2250 a day …it is not THAT bad…although the first few weeks after eating 3100 to 3200 on my bulk did suck….
  • tomatoey
    Options

Thanks

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How long?

i am cutting right now on 2250 a day …it is not THAT bad…although the first few weeks after eating 3100 to 3200 on my bulk did suck….

Ha, I can imagine.

I get woozy if I eat less than 1900, no matter what I eat (down from maintenance at 2300). 2000ish would be nicer :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thanks

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How long?

Ha, I can imagine.

I get woozy if I eat less than 1900, no matter what I eat (down from maintenance at 2300). 2000ish would be nicer :)

when I get to 180 I am going to transition to half pound per week loss which will give me about 2500 a week to eat..so that will be better...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    3600 on maintenance. I'm very slightly cutting just starting this week. 3200ish at the moment. I'm a cardio junkie though.

And yes, I've been going about 9 months on defined programs. 12 months in all. First three months I was all over the place though. No rhyme or reason.

Ndj, I think we are doing the same program currently. I throw in an extra middle exercise on it.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Thanks

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How long?

Ha, I can imagine.

when I get to 180 I am going to transition to half pound per week loss which will give me about 2500 a week to eat..so that will be better...

I hope it happens sooner than later!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    3600 on maintenance. I'm very slightly cutting just starting this week. 3200ish at the moment. I'm a cardio junkie though.

And yes, I've been going about 9 months on defined programs. 12 months in all. First three months I was all over the place though. No rhyme or reason.

Ndj, I think we are doing the same program currently. I throw in an extra middle exercise on it.

Ah, ok - 9 months is totally doable, I'm in no rush. (Am similar - would rather sweat it off than not eat any day)
  • Lgabrjolek
    Lgabrjolek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How convenient. So many people hating the response. Obviously when you are gaining, you need more intake.

Honestly just go for what you feel is right. Listen to your body. Was trying to help. Next time I won't waste my time.

Thanks Guys.
    :neutral_face:
  • Lgabrjolek
    Options
    "Lean muscle is gained with higher protein intake" So you're telling me that eating less protein than your daily needs are better for gaining LEAN muscle? You want to gain lean muscle weight, so stay away from bad fatty foods and limit your sugar intake. So JUNK FOOD (food full of sugar and unhealthy fats) is good for your diet regime ? If you do a lot of cardio, you will lose weight more rapidly - (this is false too?) . Lift full slow reps and sets. -must be false! Lift as fast as you can to gain, do half reps! Push yourself hard and rejuvenate your muscles with proteins (baked fish, chicken breast baked) after your workout. - SO a post workout meal isn't good for you? especially something protein rich and healthy? If you stay away from sweets and junk food, you can guarantee yourself results. - I have yet to see or meet someone who has a healthy sculpted body while eating garbage food daily... please inform me. You will even gain more energy to perform your workouts. - when I stopped eating processed and junk, it has boosted my energy levels. MY BEST ADVICE: NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST! SKIPPING CAN ACTUALLY MAKE YOU GAIN UNWANTED FAT! - The reason I say don't skip breakfast? I believe that it is important to eat it because morning workouts are no good on an empty stomach in fact no workout is healthy on an empty stomach.
    I suppose you guys are right though, I am completely wrong.
  • dmeyerman
    dmeyerman Posts: 27
    Options
    Try this resource and take what you can from it. It is mostly about diet and exercise, not so much all the suppliments imo.

Jim Stoppani 6 week shortcut-to-shred nutrition overview
  • Lgabrjolek
    Options
    <3 Love that site!!!
  • Lgabrjolek
    Options
    Great source!!! this is what I mean! dmeyerman you NAILED IT! :smiley:
  • Lgabrjolek
    Options
    To me bad fat is TRANS FAT. When I say sugar I mean getting all of your sugar intake from chocolate bars processed foods. I didn't state that it is indeed going to make you gain unwanted fat. I said that it CAN - it is a possibility. For your "empty stomach" comment I did not claim it to be a fact though when doing HIIT, it is not recommended. "Starvation mode" is directed for people who are not familiar with practicing intermittent fasting.
    Pretty much what I was getting at is all in the video on the link posted by dmeyerman.

Thanks.
  • Lgabrjolek
    Options
    Just to clarify. Lean muscle is different from 'bulky muscle'