Is it possible to lose fat and gain muscle?

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »

I'm not saying that, I get it and overall agree with you. I was only picking up on whether that burger and the other food with identical macros would be the same for your body. They wouldn't if the burger had trans fats.

I'm only saying that there are some things that are pretty bad for you (trans fats mainly), and should be largely avoided. That could be missed by someone reading "there are no bad foods!"

Luckily most fast foods are doing away from trans fats.

There are things that are bad for you, I agree.

But if calories and macros are the same.....minus the trans-fat stuff (which is easy to not have now), your body will process the fast food burger the same as a meal you cooked at home.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Lgabrjolek wrote: »
    Lean muscle is gained with higher protein intake (don't over do it). You want to gain lean muscle weight, so stay away from bad fatty foods and limit your sugar intake. If you do a lot of cardio, you will lose weight more rapidly. Lift full slow reps and sets. Push yourself hard and rejuvenate your muscles with proteins (baked fish, chicken breast baked) after your workout. If you stay away from sweets and junk food, you can guarantee yourself results. You will even gain more energy to perform your workouts. MY BEST ADVICE: NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST! SKIPPING CAN ACTUALLY MAKE YOU GAIN UNWANTED FAT!

All the best!

*Live long and prosper!*

-Liz

NO!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ranaeblade wrote: »
    to gain muscle you will have to increase protein, lower carbs, lift weights and add cardio

HUH?
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

I'm not saying that, I get it and overall agree with you. I was only picking up on whether that burger and the other food with identical macros would be the same for your body. They wouldn't if the burger had trans fats.

I'm only saying that there are some things that are pretty bad for you (trans fats mainly), and should be largely avoided. That could be missed by someone reading "there are no bad foods!"

But if calories and macros are the same.....minus the trans-fat stuff (which is easy to not have now), your body will process the fast food burger the same as a meal you cooked at home.

That makes sense to me. That article looks interesting, thank you, I will read it in a bit when I have time.

• rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    would HIIT training combined with resistance be enough to lose fat and gain muscle? i have been doing this for 2 months lost some body fat and i can see muscle definition but it is certainly very slow.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    would HIIT training combined with resistance be enough to lose fat and gain muscle? i have been doing this for 2 months lost some body fat and i can see muscle definition but it is certainly very slow.

Did you read the thread?

is the sky blue?
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with skipping breakfast is that you have been sleeping all night. Basically your stomach has been fasting for like 8 hours. Your body needs that wake up call that food provides. I don't think that it will add fat thought, but it very well may slow your metabolism. A lot of science agrees that smaller well timed meals help keep your body's metabolism moving and will help to prevent that bad crashing feeling you get when your blood sugar drops.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

That makes sense to me. That article looks interesting, thank you, I will read it in a bit when I have time.

Roger that.
  • MityMax96
    Options

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.....
  • MityMax96
    Options
    neaneacc wrote: »
    I think the problem with skipping breakfast is that you have been sleeping all night. Basically your stomach has been fasting for like 8 hours. Your body needs that wake up call that food provides. I don't think that it will add fat thought, but it very well may slow your metabolism. A lot of science agrees that smaller well timed meals help keep your body's metabolism moving and will help to prevent that bad crashing feeling you get when your blood sugar drops.

Science actually does not prove that.....
    What science proves is that over all calories in your day will affect your weight gain or loss....

I personally have not eaten breakfast for almost two years now.....my metabolism is fine for 37 yrs old and sedentary
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is when your body is down to just a few percent body fat and you have long term calorie deficit and your body is shifting to just trying to survive. It ain't gonna happen from skipping breakfast or even fasting for a day or two. I don't skip breakfast because I get too hungry and then have trouble sticking to my goals for the rest of the day and I end up eating something that I didn't plan to eat. Other people skip breakfast without problem. Over 3 months I've lost about 15 pounds of fat without losing lean (according to my Fitbit scale). I do lots of walking and some cycling and cardio. My understanding is that you will also gain muscle with weight training provided you have adequate protein.
  • Lgabrjolek
    Lgabrjolek Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    pjcfrancis wrote: »
    "Starvation mode" is when your body is down to just a few percent body fat and you have long term calorie deficit and your body is shifting to just trying to survive. It ain't gonna happen from skipping breakfast or even fasting for a day or two. I don't skip breakfast because I get too hungry and then have trouble sticking to my goals for the rest of the day and I end up eating something that I didn't plan to eat. Other people skip breakfast without problem. Over 3 months I've lost about 15 pounds of fat without losing lean (according to my Fitbit scale). I do lots of walking and some cycling and cardio. My understanding is that you will also gain muscle with weight training provided you have adequate protein.

Yes!
  • MityMax96
    Options

If you are in deficit now, I would advise that you lift weights at least 3x a week
    You want to preserve muscle.....walking and cycling is good....but you don't want to lose muscle, it is so hard to put on......
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dependent upon the size of deficit you're running.

I'd personally question a scale that told me I lost 15lbs of pure fat and no LBM.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Dependent upon the size of deficit you're running.

If you have a lot of excess body fat and eating at deficit....it is still possible to build muscle....
    Reason being is that even though you are at a calorie deficit.
    You are never at an energy deficit....since you have a lot of body fat to pull needed energy from.