When did you get rid of the "fat" clothes?

Options

Replies

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I got rid of most of them. but there were things I liked too much and just took them in if possible. a few of my more expensive formal wear things are still in my closet. If I were to get fat again, or pregnant or something, there's no way I'm spending that much on that kind of outfit again. Besides, I might have bigger friends who need something for a function and don't want to have to buy stuff.
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As soon as an item becomes too big, it is cleaned and bagged up to go the charity shop. When the bag is full it goes to the Oxfam charity shop to raise funds for the victims of the Nepal earthquakes. It's a win-win-win, someone gets to buy my unwanted yet still gorgeous clothes for a fraction of their original retail price, Oxfam raises money to help others less fortunate and I take the opportunity to treat myself to a few pieces from their shelves- in a smaller size, of course- for just a few pounds :)

I find it cathartic to take too-big clothes to the charity shop. It's like saying a big goodbye to your fat life and hello to your new self. Why keep them? I NEVER want to be that size again!

I have kept very few "fat" clothes: a fab vintage designer coat which I plan on getting professionally altered for the winter. A pair of jeans, a dress and t-shirt for BEFORE and AFTER photos.
  • Kschryner
    Kschryner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree! I only kept 1 or 2 peices and hung them out as a reminder to exercise and not over eat.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    cjames010 wrote: »
    I still have mine in boxes.
    I lost 60 pounds in 2011. I maintained for about a year and then gained 25-30 pounds back in 2013. I lost that in 2014, but I'm afraid I may gain weight again. I know when "life happens" I stop moving, I don't weigh myself and I eat whatever I want.

I don't want that to happen again. But when I lost the weight in 2011, I didn't think I would've gained it back.

Strange, I let go of small clothes much easier. When I got bigger in 2013, I got rid of most of the stuff that didn't fit anymore. When I lost the weight in 2014, I had to buy new smaller sized clothes.

I've done this before too - ditched smaller clothes, but hung onto bigger ones. I think it has to do with the fact that shopping for clothes because everything is too big is WAY more fun than shopping for clothes because everything is too small...

That said, this time around, I'm keeping a pair of jeans, a pair of dress pants, and a handful of tops just in case I go and get pregnant or something. Everything else is getting donated. There will be no excuses for turning back.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have gone from a UK size 20 to a 10. I have given away half of my big clothes, but kept the rest - the really beautiful ones. If I were to regain the weight for any reason, I would never be able to afford to replace them. Silk dresses, lovely coats etc - all things that are cut perfectly and looked good on my big body. It took me ages to source them. If I had a friend that size, I would give them to her. For now, I have loads of boxes and vacuum bags full in my attic. Maybe that's mad - I don't know :)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have gone from a UK size 20 to a 10. I have given away half of my big clothes, but kept the rest - the really beautiful ones. If I were to regain the weight for any reason, I would never be able to afford to replace them. Silk dresses, lovely coats etc - all things that are cut perfectly and looked good on my big body. It took me ages to source them. If I had a friend that size, I would give them to her. For now, I have loads of boxes and vacuum bags full in my attic. Maybe that's mad - I don't know :)

that totally makes sense to me. i guess some people see keeping the stuff around as an "excuse" to get bigger again or some such. I certainly don't. I won't, however, discount the fact that things do happen beyond what you might predict or want. I could be diagnosed with degenerative disease that makes exercise impossible, or something that requires medication that messes with my metabolic rate.... and I could end up gaining weight without ever having intended to as it stands today. There's no way I'm going to spend the buttloads of money I've already put into some of my nicer plus sized items all over again. So I keep them. It's not like I look at them in the closet and think "oh. right then. I might as well go ahead and get fat again so I can wear those."

• bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Good quality plus size clothes are expensive and can be difficult to source. Keep them, or sell.
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've never been 2sizes bigger, and will not get rid of them as I know I will need them when I get pregnant!
  • catmues
    catmues Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 67 and struggled with weight gain after breast cancer and menopause. Was determined to do a horseback riding trip with my daughter on my 65th birthday. I went from 220 to 140 (5'7"). It was a structured diet with months of liquids then real food. I was fine for about 2 years and am now up to 200. I got rid of every one of my fat clothes to a friend who still wears them so no regrets there. Had to buy some new real clothes for working. I have a large trash bag of size 6's in my garage. I feel like if I ever got rid of them I might give up. At this point in my life 160 is a good goal but I feel so discouraged and get little support. Should I get rid of that one bag?
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I got rid of all my clothes as I shrunk out of them. Figured it was good motivation to not regain. I did keep one pair of pants from my largest size - size 26. I'm now a size 4 but I pull them out every now again just to remind myself of where I never want to be again.

Same here. :)
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    As soon as they are too big .. I didn't even keep a go to bigger pair....been there done that and bought bigger and bigger
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Along the same lines of smaller/larger clothes, does anyone else get the same feeling I do when shopping for jeans and seeing how much they have to stock in sizes larger than you are currently and how little they need to stock in smaller sizes (for those well along towards their goals)? It's really telling about the state of most people. It also makes me wonder who actually buys those clothes modeled by size 0 models if very few people look like that.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I started out last year wearing a size 44 (fit pretty snug) and a size xxl(also snug).With the exception of one or two going out outfits I Continued to wear those clothes all the way up until I was a size 36 and fit into a large (occasional xl) shirt. Was pretty funny to watch me literally fold over my shorts and use a belt to hold them in place but I was determined to lose weight quickly and did not want to get comfortable in any size until it was a size I knew I would be happy with, not to mention I wasn't going to buy clothes I knew would only fit for a month or two. It took 9 months to go from a 44 to a 36.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my generous clothes after losing for the simple reason that it is less easy to ignore the pounds creeping on if your clothes are a little snug. In the past, I have found it easy to go back to wearing the comfy things and not think about the increasing girth. All my clothes now fit me well. Some felt like they were beginning to get snug after Christmas. I hate being uncomfortable in my clothes so immediate action was taken.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Pitching everything as it gets to big. Never gonna get there again.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    For me pretty much right away...
    Two months in I have given away my jeans 40' waist suit and jeans, a bunch of sweaters and t-shirts. The jeans I am wearing now I hope to give away by the end of the month!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Immediately. I've never been a big clothes guy and most of mine are years old, but once I dumped the weight I got rid of anything larger than my waist size. Donated most to Salvation Army/GoodWill and made the most of the tax deduction to boot.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten rid of my clothes after losing weight unless I just didn't like them any more... I have a history of yo-yo weight, and I find it very difficult to shop and find things for the proportion my body is. Also, I am currently losing again, and have finally went down a size after dropping 20 pounds. I will keep for now, since I plan on having another child eventually, and those baggy clothes may come in handy when/if the time comes.
  • punkypump
    punkypump Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the "fat clothes" ASAP, BUT WHEN LIFE DOES HAPPEN, and you gain -- only buy necessities for clothes and get them from goodwill. You will crave your nicer clothes.
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    6 months ago - all are gone - gave them to friends in need.
    ^ This! I gave mine to friends as soon as they didn't fit me anymore. ^