It's almost spring! Will you walk your dog?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Roxie is my 1 year old chocolate lab. She is in training and every morning we go for a walk as she is being trained to walk on the leash. She already know how to sit, lay down and other things...

She is a great and smart dog... this is a puppy picture a moth after I brought her home..wvwpswpyfqa7.jpg
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Oh, she is sooo cute, what a lucky puppy mommy you are! So are most of us (including kitty mommies and bunny mommies!! So are puppy/kitty/bunny daddies!!
  • atypicalsmith
    He is happy. He was checking out a bird :)

ROFL!!!!
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    When I first started my fitness program my puppy walked with me everyday. There were days when we walked five miles or more. She walked me to a weight loss of over 100 pounds and she helped me keep it off. But she is now twelve years old and terminally ill :'( so now I try to walk my husband (LOL) every day. When she has a good day we do go outside and walk around the yard or play fetch with her stuffed hedgehog. When her time comes we'll rescue a new family member or maybe even two who will walk with me faithfully.

So sorry about your dog. I lost my 7 year old dog to cancer in October, I know how devastating it is. :(

Sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a family member no matter who they are.
  • atypicalsmith
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    When I first started my fitness program my puppy walked with me everyday. There were days when we walked five miles or more. She walked me to a weight loss of over 100 pounds and she helped me keep it off. But she is now twelve years old and terminally ill :'( so now I try to walk my husband (LOL) every day. When she has a good day we do go outside and walk around the yard or play fetch with her stuffed hedgehog. When her time comes we'll rescue a new family member or maybe even two who will walk with me faithfully.

So sorry about your dog. I lost my 7 year old dog to cancer in October, I know how devastating it is. :(

Sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a family member no matter who they are.

I adopted my doxie from a rescue shelter last year when he was nearly nine years old. He's the first dog I've ever really owned; before, I was a cat person. When my cat died at 15 years old, I swore I would never, ever get another animal again. A friend convinced me I needed a dog, and here came Hogan. He has been such a blessing to me! Not to mention that walking him once or twice a day (when I can, which is almost always) FORCES me to walk as well! I've lost 20 pounds since I got him. Plus he's a great pleasure to walk with, has the energy of a young pup while walking, yet sleeps most of the time while inside, hah! He's in perfect health, but definitely not a puppy. I will enjoy him to the fullest for the rest of his life. Hug your puppy for me.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    I live in California so outside activities aren't seasonal. My Akita/Shepard mix is my running buddy and goes for a run or a walk 6 mornings a week with me. He's so well trained I could take him without a leash (but I don't because he looks scary). The Shepard we are fostering goes in the late evening (when less people are out) because she wasn't well socialized and growls and barks at other people and will lunge at other dogs (which we've been working on, but it's slow going)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I am a kitty/doggie and even a hamster mommy!

Just remember if you lose a pet to old age or other accident, your heart hurts like hell but it grows larger and there is always room for another one to love.

I am addicted to the unconditional love I get from mine.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am a kitty/doggie and even a hamster mommy!

Just remember if you lose a pet to old age or other accident, your heart hurts like hell but it grows larger and there is always room for another one to love.

I am addicted to the unconditional love I get from mine.

I got another dog a couple months after losing my first. She has helped me so much, and is so much fun to have around :)
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    If it's too cold outside for your dog, you can walk him at the mall.

Home Depot (and Macy's and a bunch of other stores I bring my dog in if I'm in a pinch and need something and it's too hot for the car) allows dogs, too.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    I live in California so outside activities aren't seasonal. My Akita/Shepard mix is my running buddy and goes for a run or a walk 6 mornings a week with me. He's so well trained I could take him without a leash (but I don't because he looks scary). The Shepard we are fostering goes in the late evening (when less people are out) because she wasn't well socialized and growls and barks at other people and will lunge at other dogs (which we've been working on, but it's slow going)

I bet he is gorgeous! We are on our 2nd male Akita (first one died two years ago at age 16) and they are one of the best breeds ever. We also have a female shepard, also a fantastic breed. They seem to work really well together.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    So sad, I had to put our Madison to rest on January 13, 2015. My heart hurts. I will miss our walks. She used to LOVE to walk with me. :'(
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    So sad, I had to put our Madison to rest on January 13, 2015. My heart hurts. I will miss our walks. She used to LOVE to walk with me. :'(

So sorry for your loss. :( We have lost two in the last two years and yes, the heart hurts for so long.
  • atypicalsmith
    My dog may or may not outlive me, but if not, I will get another one. It's amazing the difference he's made in my life.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Well, if you think the folks walking cats are odd, there's this lady and her pet fox...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2999145/Fox-rescued-baby-cub-thinks-DOG-goes-walks-lead-wags-tail.html
  • rbentrup81
    rbentrup81 Posts: 35 Member
    Absolutely! He loves walks, especially at the park. He may be 11 but he thinks he is 1, but of course he is that one socially awkward dog that I know the other dogs are thinking "What is he doing? Weirdo" We love him anyways.
  • atypicalsmith
    rbentrup81 wrote: »
    Absolutely! He loves walks, especially at the park. He may be 11 but he thinks he is 1, but of course he is that one socially awkward dog that I know the other dogs are thinking "What is he doing? Weirdo" We love him anyways.

My dog is the same way! He basically ignores other dogs, but since I've been putting him in Doggie Day Care once a week when I have to be gone all day long, his social skills have skyrocketed!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    It's hard to walk to Mastiffs at the same time, so I get double the mileage. When one is done the other goes, unless my husband walks with me.
  • atypicalsmith
    Hah! Double the pleasure, double the fun! (as Doublemint used to advertise.)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    My fur baby got a 74 minute walk yesterday. We both have cabin fever so bad that it's laughable. She's a husky/lab/shepherd but something went wrong with her paws so she hates walking in the cold and snow. We run her as much as her paws allow in the winter, but during the non-snow months we are hiking as much as possible. She's a great workout partner :) And yes, I've tried booties...she refuses to even move when she wears them.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    crosbylee wrote: »
    It's hard to walk to Mastiffs at the same time, so I get double the mileage. When one is done the other goes, unless my husband walks with me.

I have a mastiff too! We both really need to walk off our winter weight (central MN here).

How big are yours? My guy is 160 lbs in winter and about 145 in the summer...pretty huge difference. He is getting old and doesn't like to walk as far.