Why do my coworkers make fun of me for eating "healthy"?

Options
1235»

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    They're just jealous of your awesomeness! You know what they say... people hate on what they don't understand. But you know what? Eventually they'll come around. When they go to the doc and he says they have diabetes and all these other health issues they'll come around wanting you to help them eat cleaner :) Just do you.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    extra food runs are a great way to procrastinate and distract from work (mid-afternoon snack run, mid-morning coffee run, etc). Maybe they fell less guilt about it when everyone's doing it. I confess to coffee runs for no other reason than to kill another 10-15 minutes in the day. If i'm getting something for someone else, then it's a service to my fellow human being and less of an "i'm looking for an excuse to take another break" scenario. You keep on doing what you're doing. You don't need to justify their food runs.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Ask them to get you a coffee. And offer to go "on the run" for them sometime, and get yourself a coffee or a tea or a soda or a diet coke. Maybe that might help....

I like this one. Sometimes people are uncomfortable when you isolate yourself from the group activity.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had a chef friend whose co-workers recognized him as an alcoholic and spent months trying to convince him to quit. Then, when he did, they started making fun of him by calling him "Mr. Lemonade." Why? Because they were all alcoholics too.

If you're getting a raft of *kitten* from the people with sh*tty habits, you're probably on the right track.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    fish wrote:
    Insecure people tend to lash out at those who make their own weakness more obvious
    That's it right there.
    Though the person who asked about how they normally treat you has a point too... is this one example among many, or is this the only thing they tease you about?
    lacey wrote:
    How come you're so interested in what I eat?
    JoRocka wrote:
    "I don't recall asking you for an opinion on my food consumption"
    "I appreciate your concern, but I've got the situation under control"
    "where did you get your dietitican certification?"
    And if they really REALLY REALLY are annoying you just tell them "if I want to look like you, I'll eat like you"
    I'd only go with the nuclear option if the kinder, gentler ones don't work.
    But I like those.
    OP wrote:
    I get along with them great but im just annoyed with the put down lol other than that we all cool.
    So other than them disrespecting you and making you uncomfortable, you're OK with them?
    Sort of like, "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the theater tonight?".
    They're creating a hostile work environment. They need to stop.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    co-workers wrote:
    "breakfast is the most important meal of the day and if you don't eat it your body will slip into starvation mode and you'll DIE"
    I don't think anyone goes quite that far, but it has been shown that eating breakfast leads to more weight loss & better weight control than not eating breakfast.
    One thing most of the people (78%) on the National Weight Control Registry do is eat breakfast.

Here are some studies:

"Breakfast is associated with lower body weight ... "
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24898236

This study compared eating a small breakfast, medium lunch, and large dinner, [200, 500, 700 cal]
    with eating a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner [700, 500, 200 cal].
    "The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Full text:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

"subjects assigned to high caloric intake during breakfast lost significantly more weight than those assigned to high caloric intake during the dinner"
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24467926
    Full text: http://www.tradewindsports.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Nutrient-Timing-and-Obesity-2014.pdf

"data suggest that a low-calorie Mediterranean diet with a higher amount of calories in the first part of the day could establish a greater reduction in fat mass and improved insulin sensitivity than a typical daily diet."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24809437
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Live and let live. Don't worry about your coworkers for their indiscretions (remember, you have to work with these people 8+ hours a day ;) and learn to smile and laugh off any comments they might make about your not joining in on their midday food runs. You'll all get used to each others' choices and ways in time. It's not an us vs. them thing. You're just going a different direction with your health.

Now if they're making a 2-5 p.m. Happy Hour milkshake run...once in awhile...I might have to ask them to pick me up a small strawberry shake. A little guilty pleasure now and then doesn't hurt as long as I log it and own it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    fish wrote:
    Insecure people tend to lash out at those who make their own weakness more obvious
    That's it right there.
    Though the person who asked about how they normally treat you has a point too... is this one example among many, or is this the only thing they tease you about?
    lacey wrote:
    How come you're so interested in what I eat?
    JoRocka wrote:
    "I don't recall asking you for an opinion on my food consumption"
    "I appreciate your concern, but I've got the situation under control"
    "where did you get your dietitican certification?"
    And if they really REALLY REALLY are annoying you just tell them "if I want to look like you, I'll eat like you"
    I'd only go with the nuclear option if the kinder, gentler ones don't work.
    But I like those.
    OP wrote:
    I get along with them great but im just annoyed with the put down lol other than that we all cool.
    So other than them disrespecting you and making you uncomfortable, you're OK with them?
    Sort of like, "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the theater tonight?".
    They're creating a hostile work environment. They need to stop.

yes- I concur- I personally won't go straight to nuclear- but I only give one or to warning shots- then I go ham.

none of this- you escalate- I escalate- you escalate I escalate.

Occasionally- when the message isn't' being received- subtle escalation sometimes just draws it out- just hint hint- then knock them down with a good one.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im surprised this is even an issue, just ignore or laugh them along. You are being different, make them feel a bit uncomfy/ guilty and so its just playground responses. People do those sorts of things. If you cant bat it off, then sort it out by being a bit more assertive. I doubt its jealousy.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ChicagOH wrote: »
    I have been personally inconvenienced many times by the glutendairysugaregg free crowd. Super funny that you get hassled for being low maintenance and not wanting a milkshake at noon. Tell them your nutritionist put you on a very restricted diet for some unnamed rare intolerance. It seems to work for a lot of people.

You do know that a lot of the people in the gluten free crowd that "inconvenience" you have to eat that way so they're not ill and in immense pain, right? Not everyone does it because it's a fad.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have been personally inconvenienced many times by the glutendairysugaregg free crowd
    How do other people's food things inconvenience you?
    I have friends with ridiculous legit allergies- with all sorts of weird things- and we go to eat all the time together- we find a way to make it work. Seriously- don't make an epic production about it- and it's fine. People usually find a way to make it work.

I just don't understand that.
    tell them your nutritionist put you on a very restricted diet for some unnamed rare intolerance. It seems to work for a lot of people.
    as for this- no.
    - because then you're just adding to a situation- if you don't HAVE an actual issue that's a medical condition- don't lie about or fake it. We all should be adult enough to say- no I don't want it because I don't want it and I don't need to justify my food choices to you. Period.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like the snark arms race. I'm terrible at it though.

I always default to my second response being, "You're an idiot, and this is why." Maybe that's why my current company doesn't have these problems, I already went glassed earth with the couple people that pulled that bs.
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    cause their bitter lardasses. F'um
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I know I have a dissenting opinion, and while I do agree that what people choose to eat is not anyone else's business - is it possible that these lunches and "afternoon shake breaks" are a bonding experience for the group and they want you to come along? I don't know, if everything is close by as you indicated, why not suggest you guys walk over together, and then if you choose not to partake that's fine, or partake once a week. When we go to Steak and Shake I get the kids size shakes, and they are about half as many calories as the small ones. I can fit one of those in once a week, maybe more, if I wanted to. Especially if I was walking there to get it!
  • nettaboo216
    nettaboo216 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started a job about 4 months ago surrounded by numerous restaurants and fast food chains. I can walk next door or go for a minute drive. Since I started this job, I noticed my coworkers impulsive behaviors.

They go on constant food runs and routinely have a happy hour milk shake pick me up for 1/2 off at steak and shake across the street. I notice I've been giving in every food run so lately I've been saying no a lot more.

They make fun of me for turning food down and say I am not even fat BC I am thin when it's not about that. I feel like crap when I put crap in my body.

I don't even eat "clean" I just eat a bit healthier than the average American I would say but I just try in moderation with sweets and junk. I try to avoid having a lot of it...They make fun of me but imo they're impulsive and weak with several other addictions other than food lol one coworker is pregnant and smokes. She was a heavy smoker but now smokes 1-3 cigs a day and think it's ok.

I feel u i go thru the same thing at work but don't let them get you down. You doing the right thing by making changes to your diet keep it up!! :-)
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm happy that there is just me and my boss and she's never there.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't ask why to questions there's no good answer to. Just be yourself, do your thing, and be happy. You'll create your own little gravity well, and they just might join you in a more healthy lifestyle. Works for me, anyway.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Also what, to bolded? You'd say that to someone you work with (not supervise, and even then!)?
    Yes. I have, when I was a cook. When I was in advertising, and even now, when I'm in games. You CAN deliver it gently enough, but sometimes, it just helps everyone involved when you're straight up, like Paula.

Not just to my direct reports, but even peers. Sometimes something just has to be said before they become the iceberg to your titanic. Granted, in games you have to be that direct because a lot of folks don't get subtlety.

Lol, this is kind of what I thought. I'm related to a couple of engineers (not software but I figure they're in the same ballpark) :# (you don't strike me as being that type, fwiw)

lol, no... I'm no engineer. I'm on the business and analytics side for the last 4 years, but by way of design. Design is ... different. Reminds me a lot of the people I worked with when I was a dj... lol.

Aha, ok :)