Uh oh - bad weekend ahead.

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think people get way too hung up on the word 'healthy'. Seriously... who cares. Some foods are healthier than others, maybe we can agree on that? I eat pizza and cookies and ice cream, but I'm not going to pretend that cookies are 'healthy' either.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think people get way too hung up on the word 'healthy'. Seriously... who cares. Some foods are healthier than others, maybe we can agree on that? I eat pizza and cookies and ice cream, but I'm not going to pretend that cookies are 'healthy' either.

Yep - I agree with that!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

They contains ingredients with nutrients that make you gain weight/feel slobbish/crave more bad food. It's basic knowledge. If they were good - MFP wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight!

There are no nutrients that "make you gain weight."

There are calories and they are either consumed to excess or they aren't. I am truly sorry that pizza and popcorn make you feel "snobbish," but that is more about you than pizza or popcorn.

Nutrients in pizza include high fat, salt and carbohydrates - not good for the body if you're consuming that many of the above in just one sitting. Read here: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-cheese-pizza.html#b

FYI - I said slobbish, not snobbish. There's a difference.

My phone autocorrected to "snobbish." My point still stands: if the presence of fat, salt, and carbohydrates in foods make you feel like a slob, that says much more about you than it does about the food.

I regularly include high fat foods, foods with salt, and carbohydrates in my diet. Those things don't make you gain weight. It's the portion sizes that can cause weight gain. Are you telling me that avocados or olive oil make you feel "slobbish"? Does soy sauce? Does barley or sweet potatoes? Those are foods with high fat, salt, and carbohydrates. You're demonizing certain foods instead of recognizing that you can control how much you eat. Pizza isn't the enemy.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

They contains ingredients with nutrients that make you gain weight/feel slobbish/crave more bad food. It's basic knowledge. If they were good - MFP wouldn't exist and we wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight!

There are calories and they are either consumed to excess or they aren't. I am truly sorry that pizza and popcorn make you feel "snobbish," but that is more about you than pizza or popcorn.

Nutrients in pizza include high fat, salt and carbohydrates - not good for the body if you're consuming that many of the above in just one sitting. Read here: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-cheese-pizza.html#b

My phone autocorrected to "snobbish." My point still stands: if the presence of fat, salt, and carbohydrates in foods make you feel like a slob, that says much more about you than it does about the food.

I regularly include high fat foods, foods with salt, and carbohydrates in my diet. Those things don't make you gain weight. It's the portion sizes that can cause weight gain. Are you telling me that avocados or olive oil make you feel "slobbish"? Does soy sauce? Does barley or sweet potatoes? Those are foods with high fat, salt, and carbohydrates. You're demonizing certain foods instead of recognizing that you can control how much you eat. Pizza isn't the enemy.

You're twisting what I said. If you look back a little further, I stated that it's bad if you have too much of it (which most people do if it's a takeout, let's be honest). Pizza isn't the enemy, no, but it does make me gain weight if I regularly eat it. Like I've said. Countless times.

Can we drop this now?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

You're twisting what I said. If you look back a little further, I stated that it's bad if you have too much of it (which most people do if it's a takeout, let's be honest). Pizza isn't the enemy, no, but it does make me gain weight if I regularly eat it. Like I've said. Countless times.

Can we drop this now?

I'm going by all I can, which is what you're writing. If you're now writing that you didn't mean it when you wrote that the foods you are planning this eat this weekend have nutrients that make you gain weight, I can accept that. I still recommend that you don't equate a weekend worth of food choices with feeling "slobbish." Feeling that you need to regain health because of weekend of food choices (as you wrote that you would need to do) doesn't seem like a balanced approach to food.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

Can we drop this now?

I'm going by all I can, which is what you're writing. If you're now writing that you didn't mean it when you wrote that the foods you are planning this eat this weekend have nutrients that make you gain weight, I can accept that. I still recommend that you don't equate a weekend worth of food choices with feeling "slobbish." Feeling that you need to regain health because of weekend of food choices (as you wrote that you would need to do) doesn't seem like a balanced approach to food.

What your saying doesn't even make sense? I don't get why you keep replying - you've made it clear you 'disagree' with me... so leave it!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Can we drop this now?

What your saying doesn't even make sense? I don't get why you keep replying - you've made it clear you 'disagree' with me... so leave it!

What doesn't make sense? If you don't mean what you wrote, then I accept that.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

Can we drop this now?

I meant everything I wrote, otherwise I wouldn't of written it. You're just reading it wrong.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    Options

Can we drop this now?

I meant everything I wrote, otherwise I wouldn't of written it. You're just reading it wrong.
    the problem people are having is your saying it's unhealthy because you eat too much of it.....eat too much of anything will have the same effect. Because pizza is calorie dense you've deemed it unhealthy, which if you understood nutrition a little more or the people in your office, you would see that it's the overeating that is unhealthy, not a particular food or the calories associated with that food.....of course this mindset is common and will always be challenged and who knows maybe the light will come on one day for some people.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Can we drop this now?

Then I reiterate the fact that nutrients don't make you gain weight. Excess calories make you gain weight.
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your weekend. I would caution you, however, that you probably can't eat as much pizza as you used to. I say this because I went out for a birthday meal and tried to eat as much food as I did in the past and then afterward felt like crap because I didn't listen to my body telling me it was full. And I don't mean psychologically felt like crap, I mean I was so bloated and my stomach hurt for hours! So stuff your face and enjoy it, but listen to your body when it tells you it's full!!
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

Can we drop this now?

Then I reiterate the fact that nutrients don't make you gain weight. Excess calories make you gain weight.

Yeah - something of which pizza contains.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Meh. A few pints with a friend in town this afternoon. Wife's birthday tomorrow. Also St. Patrick's Day. Brides of March (SF pub crawl event Sunday). I see your challenging weekend and raise you one.

I fall on the side of the ledger that favors enjoying myself, moderating where I can, but not missing out on fun social events, which may include excess calories (particularly from the booze). I don't want to see calorie counting / meeting a calorie goal as my first and most important obligation. You'll have to decide what fits best with your priorities in the grand scheme of things.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Can we drop this now?

How can a food, by itself, contain excess calories?

You can eat excess calories in any food -- fruit, ice cream, brown rice, guacamole, salmon, pizza, oatmeal. Those calories will cause you to lose weight. This has nothing to do with pizza. Any food can cause you to gain weight if it results in excess calories. Pizza doesn't contain excess calories in a way that other "healthy" foods do not.

There is no specific "nutrient" (I'm not sure that word means what you seem to think it does) in pizza that causes weight gain. Fat doesn't cause weight gain. Last night I made an olive oil dressing for my salad -- pouring it all on my salad would, over time and combined with other choices, possibly result in weight gain. However, I chose to use a tablespoon and stayed within my calorie goal for the day. The dressing contained salt. Eating a lot of salt in a day may cause water retention. However, I don't eat meals containing multiple high sodium foods and I choose to drink water often. Sometimes for lunch I have pizza or another food containing carbohydrates -- but I am aware how many calories I am consuming and balance it with the rest of my meals.

Nutrients don't cause weight gain. Fat, salt, and carbohydrates don't cause weight gain. Foods, by themselves, don't contain excess calories. The portions we choose -- combined with the rest of our choices -- do.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

Can we drop this now?

You can eat excess calories in any food -- fruit, ice cream, brown rice, guacamole, salmon, pizza, oatmeal. Those calories will cause you to lose weight. This has nothing to do with pizza. Any food can cause you to gain weight if it results in excess calories. Pizza doesn't contain excess calories in a way that other "healthy" foods do not.

There is no specific "nutrient" (I'm not sure that word means what you seem to think it does) in pizza that causes weight gain. Fat doesn't cause weight gain. Last night I made an olive oil dressing for my salad -- pouring it all on my salad would, over time and combined with other choices, possibly result in weight gain. However, I chose to use a tablespoon and stayed within my calorie goal for the day. The dressing contained salt. Eating a lot of salt in a day may cause water retention. However, I don't eat meals containing multiple high sodium foods and I choose to drink water often. Sometimes for lunch I have pizza or another food containing carbohydrates -- but I am aware how many calories I am consuming and balance it with the rest of my meals.

Nutrients don't cause weight gain. Fat, salt, and carbohydrates don't cause weight gain. Foods, by themselves, don't contain excess calories. The portions we choose -- combined with the rest of our choices -- do.

OH MY GOD I KNOW. STOP COMMENTING. I have said time and time again, it's also down to portion size - but the contents of pizza isn't great for your body when eating a lot. Which I do when I have a takeaway. THAT IS IT. LEAVE ME ALONE.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

OH MY GOD I KNOW. STOP COMMENTING. I have said time and time again, it's also down to portion size - but the contents of pizza isn't great for your body when eating a lot. Which I do when I have a takeaway. THAT IS IT. LEAVE ME ALONE.

If you know, then stop insisting the opposite. Nobody is forcing you choose portions that make you personally feel "slobbish" and there is nothing inherently harmful in pizza. And nobody is forcing you to respond and continue the conversation.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Can we drop this now?

Don't be mad at us because you posted nonsense and were challenged on it. Unless the contents of your pizza are turpentine or cement powder then pizza is perfectly fine in moderation.

• katiejanecollins
    Options
    Stop. Commenting.

Enough is enough.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Stop. Commenting.

Enough is enough.

You can have a mod delete your thread. No one is forcing you to respond.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    No one is forcing you to either, yet you are.