Is Pizza Fast Food?

Options

Replies

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The important thing to learn is don't listen to anywhere Boston people tell you is good pizza. They think they know pizza. They are sadly confused. Let's just lump all of Massachusetts in there.

LMFAO! I hate to say it, but I was SO excited the first time I went to Boston, and went to eat at the original Uno's. I took one bite, and felt horrible as I had to tell my boss I didnt want anymore. We were on a business trip there, and he doesnt even eat pizza, but came along with me cause I was so excited that he wanted to see what the fuss was about. It tasted like I bit into a very thick wet breadstick..just all...gooey bread. Not appetizing.

We ended up at a Thai restaurant that was pretty amazing =D

ETA - Wait..I think Im thinking of Chicago. Only place I went to in Boston was Cheers. The drinks there suck btw. That is all. LoL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The important thing to learn is don't listen to anywhere Boston people tell you is good pizza. They think they know pizza. They are sadly confused. Let's just lump all of Massachusetts in there.

oh you new yorkers think you rule the world …

My thesis is that it is an inferiority complex from living in the second best city in the Northeast…

it must be a tough pill to swallow...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

LMFAO! I hate to say it, but I was SO excited the first time I went to Boston, and went to eat at the original Uno's. I took one bite, and felt horrible as I had to tell my boss I didnt want anymore. We were on a business trip there, and he doesnt even eat pizza, but came along with me cause I was so excited that he wanted to see what the fuss was about. It tasted like I bit into a very thick wet breadstick..just all...gooey bread. Not appetizing.

ETA - Wait..I think Im thinking of Chicago. Only place I went to in Boston was Cheers. The drinks there suck btw. That is all. LoL

Uno is horrible….

Bertuccis is good…as is anywhere in the north end..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    vixtris wrote: »
    In my opinion, I would say yes it is fast food because, well I think they make it pretty darn fast for how well the pizza is made. Its pretty greasy like fast food is, too.

that is a pretty broad generalization …dominos, pizza hut, etc greasy, yes….homemade or a local spot, not so much ...

Well...she did also say that shes talking pizza from Pilot, a gas station. Cant really fault her for thinking bad of it when thats all shes knows, cause I have no doubt it sucks.

Its sort of like when I hear people call Taco Bell Mexican food...my eye twitches a bit, having lived in San Diego as a kid and getting the real deal LoL. But there are a lot of people who really dont know any better, because fast food "Mexican" or in this case, gas station pizza..is all they really know to exist because where they live, they havnt been able to experience a type of food not in fast food form.

Reminds me of three stories ('cause I'm chatty today).

First, I used to work in the Sears Tower, and it had a serious shortage of decent restaurants or anything open around it on a Sunday, so I would on occasion eat in the Sbarro in the basement (not sure if it's still there). The main other people there would be tourists who were there to do the Skydeck. One day, when I was already in a bad mood from being at work on a Sunday and eating lunch in Sbarro I overheard one tourist saying to another "I thought Chicago pizza was supposed to be good, but this is nothing special." Argh.

Second, I know a guy who does zoning work for chain restaurants throughout Ohio. He told a story about jumping through hoops to get a Chi-Chi's approved by the town council in some small town and after it finally was the mayor said "well, you can have your Chi-Chi's, but I doubt it will do well, because there aren't many Mexicans here."

Finally, my sister had a good friend who came to visit us in Chicago years ago (she and my sister were in their early 20s). We took her to one of our local favorite Italian places, only for her to start telling us how in Portland (where she was then living) they had this amazing Italian place called Olive Garden that she would bring us to if we ever visited.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    To me some pizza can be considered fast food and some really isn't. Your big chains like Pizza Hut, Dominos, etc. to me are fast food. I like the big chains (just had a Dominos the other day because at like 10:30 at night we decided we had to have pizza and they are fast and cheap) after at least 10 years and I would eat it again. But to me those pizzas are to homemade or pizzeria pizza the same as taco bell is to Mexican food - I like them, I eat them, but they are so far from authentic they really should have a different name.

But good pizza from a local place or when it is homemade is awesome - I love to make it in the summer on the grill. I would love to try some of that floppy New York style (it looks so yummy) but I am in the Chicago 'burbs - thin crust here just doesn't look like it is the same, and for some reason everyone cuts it into those stupid tiny squares. Deep dish is good too but thin is my fave.

And everyone who said that in frozen Home Run Inn is the way to go - yep I am in total agreement. I used to work 2 doors down from the warehouse where they made them - they would give us awesome discounts because we were neighbors. I miss those days.

And pizza can be a totally healthy meal if you get the correct toppings (not that I do but I know people who have).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    vixtris wrote: »
    In my opinion, I would say yes it is fast food because, well I think they make it pretty darn fast for how well the pizza is made. Its pretty greasy like fast food is, too.

that is a pretty broad generalization …dominos, pizza hut, etc greasy, yes….homemade or a local spot, not so much ...

Well...she did also say that shes talking pizza from Pilot, a gas station. Cant really fault her for thinking bad of it when thats all shes knows, cause I have no doubt it sucks.

Its sort of like when I hear people call Taco Bell Mexican food...my eye twitches a bit, having lived in San Diego as a kid and getting the real deal LoL. But there are a lot of people who really dont know any better, because fast food "Mexican" or in this case, gas station pizza..is all they really know to exist because where they live, they havnt been able to experience a type of food not in fast food form.

First, I used to work in the Sears Tower, and it had a serious shortage of decent restaurants or anything open around it on a Sunday, so I would on occasion eat in the Sbarro in the basement (not sure if it's still there). The main other people there would be tourists who were there to do the Skydeck. One day, when I was already in a bad mood from being at work on a Sunday and eating lunch in Sbarro I overheard one tourist saying to another "I thought Chicago pizza was supposed to be good, but this is nothing special." Argh.

Second, I know a guy who does zoning work for chain restaurants throughout Ohio. He told a story about jumping through hoops to get a Chi-Chi's approved by the town council in some small town and after it finally was the mayor said "well, you can have your Chi-Chi's, but I doubt it will do well, because there aren't many Mexicans here."

Finally, my sister had a good friend who came to visit us in Chicago years ago (she and my sister were in their early 20s). We took her to one of our local favorite Italian places, only for her to start telling us how in Portland (where she was then living) they had this amazing Italian place called Olive Garden that she would bring us to if we ever visited.

oh hell no on Olive Garden…!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was not impressed with Chicago Pizza at all. I had a pie flown out to me and we were all excited to try it. The 2 of us sat down to eat it and were so underwhelmed. I could not believe that Pizzeria Uno had the same exact taste.

My thesis is that it is an inferiority complex from living in the second best city in the Northeast…

Here I'll let you make my arguement for me Mr. Florida. When was the last time you heard of a Pizzeria from down there getting water shipped from NYC? Now, when the last time you heard them doing that from Boston?

honestly, I have never heard of either….
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options

Uno has always been a disappointment to me - there are many better deep dish in Chicago. I am a big fan of Lou Malnati's so if you ever come back here I would say to try that one. Not like wet gooey bread at all (I totally know what you mean about that with Uno and I totally agree).
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Uno has always been a disappointment to me - there are many better deep dish in Chicago. I am a big fan of Lou Malnati's so if you ever come back here I would say to try that one. Not like wet gooey bread at all (I totally know what you mean about that with Uno and I totally agree).

Malnati's or HRI was where we'd go with family from out of town, but for everyday order in on a Friday night, there was a little place by my aunt and uncle's in Warrenville that was better than any of the big name City places.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I was not impressed with Chicago Pizza at all. I had a pie flown out to me and we were all excited to try it. The 2 of us sat down to eat it and were so underwhelmed. I could not believe that Pizzeria Uno had the same exact taste.

Here I'll let you make my arguement for me Mr. Florida. When was the last time you heard of a Pizzeria from down there getting water shipped from NYC? Now, when the last time you heard them doing that from Boston?

You need to get out more.

That was the place I got the pizza flown in from.

LOL …you might be right….

you know us southerners, we just sit around, drink moonshine, and play banjos….
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options

Flown in is totally not the same. I have never understood why people think it is a good idea, especially with a deep dish. It just seems like it would get wet and gross. Even left overs the next day are awful in my opinion. It has to be fresh made or it is totally not worth it, at least with deep dish.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Flown in is totally not the same. I have never understood why people think it is a good idea, especially with a deep dish. It just seems like it would get wet and gross. Even left overs the next day are awful in my opinion. It has to be fresh made or it is totally not worth it, at least with deep dish.

do they cook it before they fly it out …or they fly it out and then you cook it in your oven?
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options

do they cook it before they fly it out …or they fly it out and then you cook it in your oven?

I was under the impression they are flown out uncooked. I have seen them in the frozen pizza section and those are cooked but I thought the whole flying out thing was to get it as an uncooked pizza. I have ordered from a website that also has the Lou Malnati's pizza (didn't go with that, went with a hot dog package for family) but that was a couple years ago so I may be remembering it wrong.
  • Lynn_Chapman
    Lynn_Chapman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As far as how long it takes to get it No it's not fast. When I look at it as far as a food category it's in my fast food category.
  • Dragn77
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The first two made me chuckle...the last one almost made me choke on my water...that one is a real gem LoL!!!!
  • Dragn77
    Options

LoL! Actually, I havnt heard of a place that does that for pizza..maybe its recent. But a bit back, like maybe 3 years ago, a place called Brooklyn Water Bagel or something like that, opened up in South Beach. Its closed now. I never went there, but had friends who went and said it wasnt all that special.

Bagels are a huge deal down here...huge Jewish population, and all I ever heard from my ex-bf was how all he wanted was a decent bowl of matzo ball soup or a decent bagel etc..and we were always going to different delis to try them out. That bagel place was only 2 blocks from where he lived, and he was annoyed he traveled that far LoL!

Im telling you, if a bagel place cant make it in Miami Beach, Iiii dont know! BUT I will say this much...its true, the pizza, and the bagels as well...never have I had it it tastier than in NYC. Theres just something about it. Apparently not the water though! Who knows!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Okay, for shart and goggles the article linked is highlighting the fight the pizza industry is having with various government agencies in the US:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-03-03/junk-food-s-last-stand-the-pizza-lobby-is-not-backing-down

PS--NRA in this article is the National Restaurant Association.