Sugar as evil

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Why is sugar worse than fat? Because sugar is the new boogeyman? Hey, I watched my sugar for years. Read the labels. Watched it all. But many items full of sugar, like fruits, I tolerated just fine while some carbohydrates (i.e. white rice) hit this diabetic like a ton of bricks.

When my weight came off, so did the cholesterol markers, so did the diabetes. No big changes to my diet other than portions. I eat more sugar these days because I can.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    On other matters, there has been discussion about the continued medical warnings about excess sat fat (for similar reasons) and some of the same people who are anti sugar were dismissive on the grounds that they have no cholesterol issues. I'm sympathetic to that--I also have never had any cholesterol issues, and I suspect the biggest positive thing many could do is lose weight anyway--but you'd think more people would get that a lot of the sugar paranoia is basically identical to the fat paranoia of old, and unlikely to be any more helpful.

This point was made by another poster early on in the thread.

I never had issues with high cholesterol, even when I obeist.

Neither did I, nor with insulin resistance, for that matter. I might have if I'd stayed fat longer, but I'd never had any bad test results when I decided to lose weight.

Quite often people who lose by any diet improve their test results, though.

I think high cholesterol is genetics, I could be wrong, but on my side of the family their is no high cholesterol, but my hubby who skinny as toothpick most of his life except the last few years, has always had high cholesterol and it runs on his side of the family.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    On other matters, there has been discussion about the continued medical warnings about excess sat fat (for similar reasons) and some of the same people who are anti sugar were dismissive on the grounds that they have no cholesterol issues. I'm sympathetic to that--I also have never had any cholesterol issues, and I suspect the biggest positive thing many could do is lose weight anyway--but you'd think more people would get that a lot of the sugar paranoia is basically identical to the fat paranoia of old, and unlikely to be any more helpful.

I would question whether limiting sugar and especially added or refined sugars would not be more helpful in a diet than limiting fat.

I think for most it would be (I personally find fat more satiating, and that includes saturated fat), but the point is that focusing on one macronutrient and all foods containing it, so that "no sugar!" or "no fat!" become markers of healthiness independent of anything else about the product--see the Walden Farms discussion--is really a distraction from what you ideally should focus on to have a healthy diet overall.

For example, the number of people convinced that eating fruit might be unhealthy or that sugar should ideally be eliminated isn't all that different from people thinking Snackwells are some kind of health food.

Maybe. But I don't see many posts from people convinced that fruit is unhealthy.

I've seen a ton.

Even the current one is really a question about that: if at my sugar limit (according to MFP), should I avoid fruit?

I also was told by another poster during this thread that eating more dairy and fruit than your MFP sugar limit is probably dangerous.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Why is sugar worse than fat? Because sugar is the new boogeyman? Hey, I watched my sugar for years. Read the labels. Watched it all. But many items full of sugar, like fruits, I tolerated just fine while some carbohydrates (i.e. white rice) hit this diabetic like a ton of bricks.

When my weight came off, so did the cholesterol markers, so did the diabetes. No big changes to my diet other than portions. I eat more sugar these days because I can.

I wouldn't say that sugar is worse than fat. I said limiting sugar is probably better than limiting fat. And by limiting I mean low, as in low sugar vs low fat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options

I would question whether limiting sugar and especially added or refined sugars would not be more helpful in a diet than limiting fat.

I think for most it would be (I personally find fat more satiating, and that includes saturated fat), but the point is that focusing on one macronutrient and all foods containing it, so that "no sugar!" or "no fat!" become markers of healthiness independent of anything else about the product--see the Walden Farms discussion--is really a distraction from what you ideally should focus on to have a healthy diet overall.

For example, the number of people convinced that eating fruit might be unhealthy or that sugar should ideally be eliminated isn't all that different from people thinking Snackwells are some kind of health food.

Maybe. But I don't see many posts from people convinced that fruit is unhealthy.

I've seen a ton.

Even the current one is really a question about that: if at my sugar limit (according to MFP), should I avoid fruit?

I also was told by another poster during this thread that eating more dairy and fruit than your MFP sugar limit is probably dangerous.

We think differently I guess. Someone asking if they are getting too much sugar from fruit doesn't translate to 'I think fruit is unhealthy' for me.

ETA: I realize there are some who are afraid of all sugar, even naturally occurring sugar, but I think it's the definite minority.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    In this study, age was the primary marker for higher cholesterol.
    bmj.com/content/1/5644/595
    This study found that controlling fats had a higher impact on cholesterol.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/18/4/237.short
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    In this study, age was the primary marker for higher cholesterol.
    bmj.com/content/1/5644/595
    This study found that controlling fats had a higher impact on cholesterol.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/18/4/237.short

I only read the abstract, but that second study is comparing different types of fats.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    much plenty bro science - Real science says ... it depends on if you are sensitive to it or not. If you are not sensitive then sugar is no problem, if you are sensitive then leave it alone at all costs.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    If you're referring to my posts in this thread -- which I think you are -- I never said anything of the sort.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

I wouldn't say that sugar is worse than fat. I said limiting sugar is probably better than limiting fat. And by limiting I mean low, as in low sugar vs low fat.

Logically, by implication that's exactly what you're saying.

No, it's not at all.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    much plenty bro science - Real science says ... it depends on if you are sensitive to it or not. If you are not sensitive then sugar is no problem, if you are sensitive then leave it alone at all costs.

Including fruit? I guess I just don't understand this extreme.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

LOL and here we go ....

just save your breath brother, she is never wrong...
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'd be willing to discuss sugar being evil if we are going to be talking about the history of the sugar industry and the Carribean slave trade.

Otherwise? No. Just....no.

This, ten pages later, is still the only remotely interesting thing on this thread.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

LOL and here we go ....

just save your breath brother, she is never wrong...

Anyone is free to disagree with my opinions, but extrapolating my statements to mean something not intended makes no sense.

I never said sugar is worse than fat, except within the context of the low sugar vs low fat discussion. If you can't grasp the difference, then I can't help that.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I only read the abstract, but that second study is comparing different types of fats.

I only read the abstract too, but the two study groups were differentiated by how much sugar was in their diets. There was no difference in cholesterol levels from different amounts of sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I've seen a ton.

We think differently I guess. Someone asking if they are getting too much sugar from fruit doesn't translate to 'I think fruit is unhealthy' for me.

In the threads where those questions are asked there are invariably multiple posters who jump in and say fruit and dairy should be limited or go on about non-fat dairy.

For the record, I was actually trying to agree with your post in referencing the sugar paranoia becoming like the fat paranoia that we are still recovering from. As I said earlier, I thought you put it well in this post:
    Too much sugar is not a good thing. And most American eat too much sugar. This causes health agencies to put out recommendations to cut back on sugar.

Unfortunately, many people see "cut back" as "cut out" and start thinking all sugar is evil/bad/unhealthy and try to cut it all out, when they really should just be cutting down on the amount they eat.

It's the same thing that happened in the 80's when the recommendation to eat less fat and especially less saturated fat came out. Suddenly all fat was bad and to be avoided.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    MFP sets the sugar limits based on a draft WHO recommendation. The WHO recommendation is based on added sugars, but MFP does not differentiate. This leads dieters who are watching their sugars, to go over the MFP allowance on naturally occurring sugars alone.

What can they do? Drink lactose - free milk and sugar-free fruits? Insanity.

There has to be some sense applied here. Sugar is not the bugbear. The MFP limit is too low.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The MFP limit is too low.

I would say that it is meaningless

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Sugar thread! Yippeee!!!!!

10 pages on yet.... another worthless....sugar thread...

This never ends well
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the sugar limits based on a draft WHO recommendation. The WHO recommendation is based on added sugars, but MFP does not differentiate. This leads dieters who are watching their sugars, to go over the MFP allowance on naturally occurring sugars alone.

What can they do? Drink lactose - free milk and sugar-free fruits? Insanity.

There has to be some sense applied here. Sugar is not the bugbear. The MFP limit is too low.

Actually, the limit is based on the food recommendations in the 2010 Dietary Guidelines which if followed would have about 10% of your calories coming from naturally occurring sugar. They then take it a step further and allow for another 5% for free sugars the WHO recommends. That's a total of 15% of your total calories from sugar -- 10% naturally occurring, 5% added.

All of which seems entirely reasonable to me; sensible given the current research without being alarmist.