Sugar as evil

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    kathyk519 wrote: »
    Sugar is not good for you, and most people eat way to much, and it is hard to cut back on since it is in everything - read your labels and you will see. There are studies that have linked excess sugar consumption to cholesterol and triglyceride levels. I would not make yourself crazy, however being mindful is a good thing. Choose to get your sugar from fruit, etc, and stay away from things that are not good for you anyway on your path for weight loss and good health - and have your occasional treat.
    "Excess ____ causes heart disease"

"____ is bad for you"

These two statements are not even close to the same thing. Pretty much everything is bad for you in the wrong dose.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    MFP sets the sugar limits based on a draft WHO recommendation. The WHO recommendation is based on added sugars, but MFP does not differentiate. This leads dieters who are watching their sugars, to go over the MFP allowance on naturally occurring sugars alone.

What can they do? Drink lactose - free milk and sugar-free fruits? Insanity.

There has to be some sense applied here. Sugar is not the bugbear. The MFP limit is too low.

Actually, the limit is based on the food recommendations in the 2010 Dietary Guidelines which if followed would have about 10% of your calories coming from naturally occurring sugar. They then take it a step further and allow for another 5% for free sugars the WHO recommends. That's a total of 15% of your total calories from sugar -- 10% naturally occurring, 5% added.

All of which seems entirely reasonable to me; sensible given the current research without being alarmist.

The issue with the amount for additional sugars recommended, based on my understanding, is that it is arbitrary to a degree They looked at discretionary calories (i.e. once you hit your nutrients - the amount 'leftover' and applied a % for added sugar (50% if discretionary if memory serves me right.) Discretionary calories however will vary individual to individual.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Why is sugar worse than fat? Because sugar is the new boogeyman? Hey, I watched my sugar for years. Read the labels. Watched it all. But many items full of sugar, like fruits, I tolerated just fine while some carbohydrates (i.e. white rice) hit this diabetic like a ton of bricks.

When my weight came off, so did the cholesterol markers, so did the diabetes. No big changes to my diet other than portions. I eat more sugar these days because I can.

I wouldn't say that sugar is worse than fat. I said limiting sugar is probably better than limiting fat. And by limiting I mean low, as in low sugar vs low fat.

Logically, by implication that's exactly what you're saying.

No, it's not at all.

Yes, you are. You say limiting sugar is probably better than limiting fat. By implication you are therefore stating that sugar is worse than fat, otherwise why limit it more?

It's pretty clear cut.

Another way to characterize the statement in question is that it is saying the dosage at which sugar becomes a problem is, for many contexts, lower than the dosage at which fat becomes a problem.

That may or may not be correct, but it is a reasonable thing to hypothesize.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    MFP sets the sugar limits based on a draft WHO recommendation. The WHO recommendation is based on added sugars, but MFP does not differentiate. This leads dieters who are watching their sugars, to go over the MFP allowance on naturally occurring sugars alone.

There has to be some sense applied here. Sugar is not the bugbear. The MFP limit is too low.

Actually, the limit is based on the food recommendations in the 2010 Dietary Guidelines which if followed would have about 10% of your calories coming from naturally occurring sugar. They then take it a step further and allow for another 5% for free sugars the WHO recommends. That's a total of 15% of your total calories from sugar -- 10% naturally occurring, 5% added.

All of which seems entirely reasonable to me; sensible given the current research without being alarmist.

The issue with the amount for additional sugars, based on my understanding, is very arbitrary. They looked at discretionary calories (i.e. once you hit your nutrients - the amount 'leftover' and applied a % for added sugar (50% if discretionary if memory serves me right.) Discretionary calories however will vary individual to individual.

Yes, I don't think any of the sugar limits and recommendations are evidenced based -- which I have a problem with. But for those who are concerned about their sugar intake (rightly concerned, IMO) I think 15% of your total calories from sugar is a reasonable limit which allows for a varied, not overly restrictive diet. ETA: And is a level of sugar intake that is not likely to do any harm.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

The 10% seems misleading, since the Dietary Guidelines don't quantify it, and if someone is at reduced calories they could easily exceed the MFP percentage without even eating the full recommended amounts of fruit and veggies and dairy. The Guidelines say that Americans over 4 eat too little fruit, not too much, and also recommend increasing consumption of non fat dairy (especially switching from full fat), which are both contrary to what those focused so much on sugar would say. (I'm kind of neutral on non fat vs. full fat, but these things are ignored, as well as the reasoning given.)

On the other hand, the Dietary Guidelines do recommend a range for carbs of 45-65% (which I think is higher than lots of people need, but whatever) and a minimum fiber number, so I think this largely supports the approach many MFP-ers recommend--focus on fiber as a way to make sure that your carbs are coming largely from more nutrient-dense sources.

I'd further say pay attention to how many servings of veggies you are getting. What I find overly-simplistic and not supported by any evidence is the idea that getting more than 15% from sugar, regardless of the diet as a whole or the particular make-up of those calories is something to be concerned about, such that people fret about eating an apple or are told they'd better limit their fruit consumption to lower sugar fruits or switch from low fat to full fat dairy (which again is fine for taste reasons if that's your preference, but NOT, in fact, what the mainstream nutrition types recommend).
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The 10% seems misleading, since the Dietary Guidelines don't quantify it, and if someone is at reduced calories they could easily exceed the MFP percentage without even eating the full recommended amounts of fruit and veggies and dairy. The Guidelines say that Americans over 4 eat too little fruit, not too much, and also recommend increasing consumption of non fat dairy (especially switching from full fat), which are both contrary to what those focused so much on sugar would say. (I'm kind of neutral on non fat vs. full fat, but these things are ignored, as well as the reasoning given.)

On the other hand, the Dietary Guidelines do recommend a range for carbs of 45-65% (which I think is higher than lots of people need, but whatever) and a minimum fiber number, so I think this largely supports the approach many MFP-ers recommend--focus on fiber as a way to make sure that your carbs are coming largely from more nutrient-dense sources.

I'd further say pay attention to how many servings of veggies you are getting. What I find overly-simplistic and not supported by any evidence is the idea that getting more than 15% from sugar, regardless of the diet as a whole or the particular make-up of those calories is something to be concerned about, such that people fret about eating an apple or are told they'd better limit their fruit consumption to lower sugar fruits or switch from low fat to full fat dairy (which again is fine for taste reasons if that's your preference, but NOT, in fact, what the mainstream nutrition types recommend).

That also gets messy, because you have to be sure of where the recommendation is coming from in terms of region. If it's a US scientist or US guideline, it's assumed that fiber is included in the carb number, unless specifically stated otherwise. If it's a scientist or region outside the US, fiber is not included in the carb number, and they are considered to be two independent things. 45% of UK carbs are a wholly different thing that 45% of US carbs, if you're going solely by food labeling standards.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    These are US numbers.

However, I've never really seen a good basis for the macronutrient percentages (I haven't looked into it all that hard, granted). I looked into the protein one when it came up on another thread and the explanation was basically "amount left over when you add up the fat and carb ranges."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    These are US numbers.

However, I've never really seen a good basis for the macronutrient percentages (I haven't looked into it all that hard, granted). I looked into the protein one when it came up on another thread and the explanation was basically "amount left over when you add up the fat and carb ranges."

Ouch. That seems backwards - protein should be set according to LBM, and the other macros key off of that and your calorie target.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

The issue with the amount for additional sugars, based on my understanding, is very arbitrary. They looked at discretionary calories (i.e. once you hit your nutrients - the amount 'leftover' and applied a % for added sugar (50% if discretionary if memory serves me right.) Discretionary calories however will vary individual to individual.

Yes, I don't think any of the sugar limits and recommendations are evidenced based -- which I have a problem with. But for those who are concerned about their sugar intake (rightly concerned, IMO) I think 15% of your total calories from sugar is a reasonable limit which allows for a varied, not overly restrictive diet. ETA: And is a level of sugar intake that is not likely to do any harm.

I think that there are categories of people who should be concerned - I am not denying that. Personally, I have no medical issues that indicate sugar in excess of that is an issue and I am at a healthy body weight, the usual blood markers are good and I am active - so I am not concerned (my macro, micro and fiber targets are self governing to a degree as well).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I wa
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Why is sugar worse than fat? Because sugar is the new boogeyman? Hey, I watched my sugar for years. Read the labels. Watched it all. But many items full of sugar, like fruits, I tolerated just fine while some carbohydrates (i.e. white rice) hit this diabetic like a ton of bricks.

When my weight came off, so did the cholesterol markers, so did the diabetes. No big changes to my diet other than portions. I eat more sugar these days because I can.

I wouldn't say that sugar is worse than fat. I said limiting sugar is probably better than limiting fat. And by limiting I mean low, as in low sugar vs low fat.

Logically, by implication that's exactly what you're saying.

LOL and here we go ....

just save your breath brother, she is never wrong...

Anyone is free to disagree with my opinions, but extrapolating my statements to mean something not intended makes no sense.

I never said sugar is worse than fat, except within the context of the low sugar vs low fat discussion. If you can't grasp the difference, then I can't help that.

I was not talking to you ….
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'd be willing to discuss sugar being evil if we are going to be talking about the history of the sugar industry and the Carribean slave trade.

Otherwise? No. Just....no.

This, ten pages later, is still the only remotely interesting thing on this thread.

We could discuss the Taino Indians. . . .Spaniards.. . . .etc, but nah.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'd be willing to discuss sugar being evil if we are going to be talking about the history of the sugar industry and the Carribean slave trade.

Otherwise? No. Just....no.

This, ten pages later, is still the only remotely interesting thing on this thread.

We could discuss the Taino Indians. . . .Spaniards.. . . .etc, but nah.

that would be a more legit criticism then any of the "sugar is evil" folks ever come up with...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    These are US numbers.

Ouch. That seems backwards - protein should be set according to LBM, and the other macros key off of that and your calorie target.

Yeah, that's one reason I don't have a lot of faith in the ranges given.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

I'd probably be more willing to concede to your point if I actually ever saw someone on MFP exceeding the sugar limit eating whole foods. I'm absolutely sure it's possible, especially if you eat a mostly plant based diet, but that's not what I see.

All I've ever seen is people eating foods with "health halos", eating fruit on top of that and then saying they can't even eat an apple (or a cookie) without going over their sugar limit. And everyone rushing into the thread to agree with them and telling them to ignore the sugar limits, fruit is fine.

People eating whole foods and exceeding their sugar limit are not the ones starting "sugar threads" from what I've seen. You know, like the people who claim they eat clean but a look at their diary shows they're eating processed food just like everyone else. Or the people who say they're eating at a deficit but their food log is spotty and inconsistent at best. Peoples perception of what they're doing versus what they actually do often doesn't line up.

P.S. For what it's worth, I think the focus on fiber is a terrible barometer of a healthful diet as everyone adds cellulose to their products these days in order to put the fiber claim on the package. Do those foods really promote good health? I don't think they do. As for what mainstream nutrition recommends, I think it's criminal and people deserve to go to jail; at the very least it's not evidence based.

@Sarauk2sf I agree with that as well; if you're healthy, active and eating a reasonable diet an arbitrary sugar limit probably isn't a concern. I even think the people who are the sickest and rightly should be the most concerned about their diet can improve their health dramatically just by restricting their calories across the board, losing weight and becoming more active.

And with all of that, I still think the 15% sugar limit is reasonable for most people. I'm certainly not comfortable telling people sugar doesn't matter. More research is needed by those whose only agenda is good science, IMO.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    My point is mostly that whether it's something to be concerned about or part of a balanced and nutrient dense diet is something more nuanced than "will this apple kick me over the limit," and the way that even fruit gets discussed in some of these sugar threads is ridiculous. I think people should know where their sugar is coming from and what else they are eating and decide based on that if there's an issue. I think some of the comments you get (like don't eat a banana, it's nature's cupcake, from a recent thread) really do suggest that we are replacing fat paranoia with sugar paranoia with very little reason to do so. I kind of agree that it's usually not simply fruit (although it can be, especially if someone is at 1200 or a person who eats lots of produce in general)--that's between the person who claims it and his or her diary--but I also think that a better focus is what are you eating overall. If you are getting lots of fiber (we can say from fruit, veggies, and beans, if you like), adequate protein, a reasonable amount of fats from reasonable sources and the like, worrying about sugar is probably going to be rather pointless and an unnecessary thing to focus on. That's why I like to point to the actual reasoning used for the WHO standards.

I'd rather have people use common sense and eat a sensible diet than bounce from one scapegoat macronutrient or food (fat, carbs, sugar, oh my!) and ignore the big picture. After all, switching out bananas for sugar free gummi bears is hardly the ideal path to take for most.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back "weighing in" on the sugar issue. Yesterday, I exercised and ate at home and exceeded my sugar limit of 67 by eating 80 grams of sugar. The main culprits were Fiber One cereal (16), plain (unsweetened) nonfat yogurt (18), and 1/2 cup jarred mixed fruit, canned in juice (18), and blueberries (8). By the way, I ate less than my calorie targets for that day. Today, I had a lower sugar allotment because I didn't exercise. I actually ate out at Olive Garden and had dessert and exceeded my calories for the day; however, my sugar macros were well within limits, the major culprit being the dessert (25). I didn't eat pasta at Olive Garden (which I did have at home yesterday), but I did have potatoes, by the way. Which day, then is "healthier"? The day when I cooked my own food and my sugars came from yogurt and fruit, or the day when I ate at a restaurant, exceeded my calories, and ate dessert? I also exceeded fat and cholesterol today because I had bacon and eggs for breakfast.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    This documentary really helped me, it's all about sugar:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEjUGNi-Mlg
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm prediabetic. If it runs in your family and you're concerned, just make sure that when you eat fruit or something carby, you pair it with something high in protein. That's what the doctor told me. She didn't say stop eating fruits, more like have the fruit as dessert after eating a meal that has plenty of protein. Or suppose you ate an apple or a banana and also a tablespoon of peanut butter. Eat the bowl of cereal, but also a boiled egg, for example.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think some of the comments you get ... really do suggest that we are replacing fat paranoia with sugar paranoia with very little reason to do so.
    Sometimes I wish we could get rid of all the stupid people. But then I realize if we did that we'd be wiped out by a disease contracted from an unsanitized telephone.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'd probably be more willing to concede to your point if I actually ever saw someone on MFP exceeding the sugar limit eating whole foods.
    There are people that claim so. Indeed it is pretty easy: on a 1200 cals diet, the sugar limit is set at 45 grams. 3 medium bananas are enough to reach it.