But I don't have TIME to exercise!

Options

Replies

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would like to make a motion that everyone who does not have an autistic child shut the hell up about how this woman is raising hers. Especially with comments that imply that she's somehow lazy or neglectful for needing one damn hour a day to herself.

Seriously, people, come on. Armchair quarterbacking the life of someone with this many challenges is straight-up repulsive. For the five minutes it takes to type and post a critical comment, try to be a better person than that. Or do freaking jumping jacks, whatever.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if people do not want to exercise it is none of OPs business what their reason is. And having a reason does not equal and excuse….

exercise is not necessary for weight loss.

I love to lift weights, but not everyone does…some people just don't enjoy physical activity ...
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if people do not want to exercise it is none of OPs business what their reason is. And having a reason does not equal and excuse….

I love to lift weights, but not everyone does…some people just don't enjoy physical activity ...

People come in here to give and take (non-professional) advice. OP gave advice. Basically move more, eat less, which is basic fitness knowledge. People always attack what they don't agree with or just want to do. Go to any thread regarding detox drinks, adipex, dr oz, or sugar being bad for your body. Some people tended to lash out at @atypicalsmith‌ for saying that exercise is HEALTHY for you. It's true. If you can find any legitimate study that (excluding those with underlying medical conditions) proves otherwise, please feel free to direct us to it.

• ndj1979
    Options

People come in here to give and take (non-professional) advice. OP gave advice. Basically move more, eat less, which is basic fitness knowledge. People always attack what they don't agree with or just want to do. Go to any thread regarding detox drinks, adipex, dr oz, or sugar being bad for your body. Some people tended to lash out at @atypicalsmith‌ for saying that exercise is HEALTHY for you. It's true. If you can find any legitimate study that (excluding those with underlying medical conditions) proves otherwise, please feel free to direct us to it.

when did I say exercise is NOT healthy?

I said some people PREFER not to do it…

saying exercise is not required for weight loss does not equate to exercise is not healthy …

OR, are you saying that you have to exercise to lose weight?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    No one has to do anything they dont want. Op has nt forced anyone to do anything. Stop getting knickers in a twist
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    I would like to make a motion that everyone who does not have an autistic child shut the hell up about how this woman is raising hers. Especially with comments that imply that she's somehow lazy or neglectful for needing one damn hour a day to herself.

Seriously, people, come on. Armchair quarterbacking the life of someone with this many challenges is straight-up repulsive. For the five minutes it takes to type and post a critical comment, try to be a better person than that. Or do freaking jumping jacks, whatever.

have you done your 3 jumping jacks
  • ndj1979
    Options
    No one has to do anything they dont want. Op has nt forced anyone to do anything. Stop getting knickers in a twist

the only people I see getting all worked up are the ones flying in here to defend the OP …

I am just making two points:

1. exercise is not necessary for weight loss
    2. some people prefer not to exercise because they don't enjoy it. That is not an excuse that is just a fact.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

saying exercise is not required for weight loss does not equate to exercise is not healthy …

As someone who does partake wouldn't you politely encourage exercising as part of the whole package?
  • ndj1979
    Options

As someone who does partake wouldn't you politely encourage exercising as part of the whole package?

I don't partake in what?

my advice is that exercise is beneficial but not necessary and that one should do what one enjoys and not torture yourself with X exercise just because you are told you have to it that way ...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP, as someone who is not overweight and who regulalry exercises, I still find this thread ridiculous. Especially coming from a woman who has a lot of weight to lose and states as her motivation "I'm tired of being out of breath just walking up a flight or two of stairs". When it comes to other people and their time or money, unless you are living their life, you have no clue. I am pretty sure you would not appreciate being called a lazy parent for not keeping your special needs child with you, when they have no idea how it was for you. Do not call people names when you have no clue what their lives feel like.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

I don't partake in what?

my advice is that exercise is beneficial but not necessary and that one should do what one enjoys and not torture yourself with X exercise just because you are told you have to it that way ...

now that I can agree with
    but I hate exercise and sweat but the benefits it has its worth it for me. Plus getting to 40 need to think about protecting my bones.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

the only people I see getting all worked up are the ones flying in here to defend the OP …
    Not really true. there are posters who feel upset as if the post is directed at them.

• hollyrayburn
    Options

As I clearly stated above, exercise is HEALTHY for you, not required for weight loss. I did not exercise at all my first month of beginning a healthy eating regimen, and lost 13 lbs. (lotsa water weight I know, but still). My weight loss has substantially slowed down since late January, despite exercising, but I continue to do it, even when I would rather catch up on the walking dead, because I feel better in the long run, both mentally and physically.

OP is saying that some people (not necessarily the person with the child) just use excuses not to. In all honesty, I'd prefer not to work, and I'm sure I could think of every excuse in the world not to: I could get a check for some kinda hardship, let my boyfriend support me, or mooch off mommy in her basement. But...I work, because it's better for my life and because I CAN.

As I previously posted, choices. We all have them. If that latest soap opera episode or couch sitting is someone's choice, then so be it.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Nope. I did my deadlifts, my prowler pushes, my rowing, my pull-ups, and my yoga. You know why I was able to do that? Because I don't have a special needs child who requires 24/7 care and no one to give it but me, that's why.

• hollyrayburn
    Options

Nope. I did my deadlifts, my prowler pushes, my rowing, my pull-ups, and my yoga. You know why I was able to do that? Because I don't have a special needs child who requires 24/7 care and no one to give it but me, that's why.

Someone's there to help. Unless the child is taken to the three jobs.
  • Therealobi1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Great. You did loads more than me. I only did that nerd fitness beginner body weight workout.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Some people genuinely don't have time. Some people don't want to 'make time' for exercise because they prefer to use that time for other things. Up to them. I enjoy exercise and would do it even if it didn't help with weight loss/maintenance, because I choose to do things like get up early to fit it in or arrive slightly later at the pub of an evening to go to the gym on my way home from work. It seems very easy to me but then I don't have a child or unpredictable work shifts or any health complications.

I do think exercise is massively beneficial, and some people would probably benefit from exercise if they made an effort to introduce it regularly, and might say 'I don't have time' when really they mean 'it would cut into my family/friend/partner/telly/reading/gaming/whatever time'. That's up to them. It's just priorities. I've probably told myself I don't have time to clean my garage/phone the bank/learn how to change a car tyre, because although those things would help me out, they're just so dull to me I don't have the motivation to do them.
  • ndj1979
    Options

As I clearly stated above, exercise is HEALTHY for you, not required for weight loss. I did not exercise at all my first month of beginning a healthy eating regimen, and lost 13 lbs. (lotsa water weight I know, but still). My weight loss has substantially slowed down since late January, despite exercising, but I continue to do it, even when I would rather catch up on the walking dead, because I feel better in the long run, both mentally and physically.

OP is saying that some people (not necessarily the person with the child) just use excuses not to. In all honesty, I'd prefer not to work, and I'm sure I could think of every excuse in the world not to: I could get a check for some kinda hardship, let my boyfriend support me, or mooch off mommy in her basement. But...I work, because it's better for my life and because I CAN.

As I previously posted, choices. We all have them. If that latest soap opera episode or couch sitting is someone's choice, then so be it.

sorry but comparing wanting to work with wanting to exercise is a horrible comparison.

If you want to get by in life then you have to work to make ends meet.

Exercise is not going to make or break the bank account.

talk about apples and oranges…

if people don't want to spend their five minutes doing "jumping jacks" then that it is up to them to use their time as they see fit, and not up to OP ...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I am just making two points:

1. exercise is not necessary for weight loss
    2. some people prefer not to exercise because they don't enjoy it. That is not an excuse that is just a fact.

Okay... So what if the post were limited to those who want to workout but complain about excuses not being able to?

Oh, PS: You White Knightin', or is it the girl in the white dress that's doing it? I confuse :bigsmile:
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Do not call people names when you have no clue what their lives feel like.

I don't believe I called anyone names. I do believe other people are assuming that I am, but if you can find an instance where I did, please point it out to me.