Yet another new study confirms fat people drink diet soda...

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    SyzygyX wrote: »
    dpwellman wrote: »
    People who eat carrots have a 100% mortality rate.

I'm doomed! DOOOOOOOMED!!!!
    hqdefault.jpg

Fudge, Packer?

Ha!! Tom Cruise!! I remember when South Park called him a Fudge Packer
    Wait, are you singing mixolydian scales or something?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people who aren't fat drink diet soda.

There were times in my life where I pretty much lived on diet coke and cigarettes. I was far from overweight.*

*Please note, I am not in any way, shape or form recommending this!! Clearly I was not a well wee button.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Erilynn93 wrote: »
    I'm not worried about diet sodas. As long as you don't live off it you'll be fine. I'm one of those people that it actually helps me stave of my sweet tooth most of the time, as long as I don't drink like more than a can or two a day (I don't usually drink it daily, too). I'm a researcher and I know that many studies don't take into account individual differences, so let's just not forget that when reading articles. Science never means things are proven, they just have tendencies to go a certain way.

This actually brings up another non-causation factor...people who drink diet soda may have more of a "sweet tooth" to begin with. I don't drink diet soda...or regular soda...or sweetened ice tea or coffee...because I do not like sweet drinks AT ALL. I'd pay for a plain seltzer even if they were giving flavored sodas away for free. So...again, diet soda drinkers are not a randomized group, they self select as people who 1) like sweet flavors (and therefore might make dietary choices that reflect that) and 2) have chosen to try to limit calories in at least the area of this particular beverage choice (indicating that they might believe themselves to be predisposed to weight gain to begin with)

So, yeah. a non-study, really.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Another study about the impact of diet soda: FYI -
    http://www.salon.com/2015/03/18/diet_soda_associated_with_increase_in_belly_fat/?source=newsletter
    From Salon: Diet soda could be making people fatter, new study says
    "Calorie-free does not equal consequence-free"
    by Joanna Rothkopf
    "A new study found that regularly drinking diet soda is associated with remarkable weight gain among people over the age of 65. The study, led by Dr. Sharon P.G. Fowler of the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, measured regular diet soda drinkers over time but not whether or not the beverage actually caused the weight gain. Still, the association between consumption of diet soda and an expanded waistline was apparent....click on link above for rest of article
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    gerrielips wrote: »
    http://www.salon.com/2015/03/18/diet_soda_associated_with_increase_in_belly_fat/?source=newsletter
    by Joanna Rothkopf
    "A new study found that regularly drinking diet soda is associated with remarkable weight gain among people over the age of 65. The study, led by Dr. Sharon P.G. Fowler of the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, measured regular diet soda drinkers over time but not whether or not the beverage actually caused the weight gain. Still, the association between consumption of diet soda and an expanded waistline was apparent....click on link above for rest of article

LOL.......how can no calories drink make you fat!!! It doesn't!!!! *rollingeyes*

ETA: Stop passing false information around!!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    “I think it probably is true that for some people, if they are not being really hardcore about losing weight and getting a healthier lifestyle, if they switch over to diet soda, that allows them to have an extra slice of pizza or a candy bar.” But that’s not actually an effective weight loss strategy.

From the researcher...

Also, the conclusion diet soda is bad is based on questionnaires a decade apart where half the subjects over 65 had already passed away before reassessment (so which ones were still living?). So no assessment of energy intake or energy expenditure difference were taking into account, just diet soda consumption was associated with larger waists in those still alive.

I just can't get how you can say "diet soda causes weight gain" from that. If you had the energy intake and expenditure estimations, you may can conclude that. I just see that it says diet soda consumption is associated with those who don't want the calories from the drink, which would likely include people who enjoy soda but know they need to lose weight.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    “I think it probably is true that for some people, if they are not being really hardcore about losing weight and getting a healthier lifestyle, if they switch over to diet soda, that allows them to have an extra slice of pizza or a candy bar.” But that’s not actually an effective weight loss strategy.

From the researcher...

In other words, people who stop drinking calories and start eating those calories instead do not lose weight?! Some of them even gain weight when they have no idea how many calories they gave up and how many they added?!

Who would've guessed?!
  • _John_
    Options
    I'm guessing with that many participants, and if they had a LOT of things in that questionnaire that researcher is sitting on a publication gold mine. This is just one thing they milked out of the dataset.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    gerrielips wrote: »
    by Joanna Rothkopf

Liz-lemon-eye-roll.gif

This is just not even funny anymore. *Sips Coke Zero*
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Correlation =/= causation.

Do people ever stop to consider that the real reason diet soda drinkers are more likely to be obese is because the non-obese have no incentive to drink the disgusting stuff?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

From the researcher...

[/b]Also, the conclusion diet soda is bad is based on questionnaires a decade apart where half the subjects over 65[/b] had already passed away before reassessment (so which ones were still living?). So no assessment of energy intake or energy expenditure difference were taking into account, just diet soda consumption was associated with larger waists in those still alive.

I just can't get how you can say "diet soda causes weight gain" from that. If you had the energy intake and expenditure estimations, you may can conclude that. I just see that it says diet soda consumption is associated with those who don't want the calories from the drink, which would likely include people who enjoy soda but know they need to lose weight.

Oh, wait. I admit, I'm lazy and have only half been reading this thread, but they asked people my age and older to fill out questionnaires (which would mean they'd have to remember something trivial) and then they asked again in ten years?

And the media is reporting on this like it proved something and some people are taking it seriously?

hcmyixS.gif?1

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing with that many participants, and if they had a LOT of things in that questionnaire that researcher is sitting on a publication gold mine. This is just one thing they milked out of the dataset.

I'm saying this from fairly extensive personal experience with clinical trials, questionnaires, and biomedical research.

There's likely not going to be much of any worth in that dataset at all. Maybe some findings in the sociology or psychology of questionnaire design, but hardly anything useful in regards to nutrition or other biomedical science.

Dollars to donuts this is about the best they could patch together after they realized how poorly designed the study was for the questions they wanted to answer. No one wants to talk to the statisticians and bioinformaticians at the study design phase. Instead they wing it, bring them crap after everything is said and done, and expect them to somehow extract scientific gems.
  • stealthq
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Do people ever stop to consider that the real reason diet soda drinkers are more likely to be obese is because the non-obese have no incentive to drink the disgusting stuff?

Err ... not obese. I drink diet because I like cold fizzy drinks (hate sparkling water) and I don't want to cut out food to compensate for switching to regular soda.

I mean, really. If I'm drinking calories, there'd better be alcohol, chocolate, or ice cream in it. Ok, or milk. I like the occasional latte or au lait.
  • zombiegirlfriend
    zombiegirlfriend Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I hear fat people drink regular soda, too.

This.

Now I can't encourage people to kick Diet Soda enough.
    I was a HEAVY HEAVY Diet Coke drinker until very recently.
    Since I quit drinking soda (all soda, not just diet)
    I'm no longer diabetic, and I back on a regular lady cycle.

I actually blogged about it for a little while... but I sort of gave up...

http://dietcokedrinkersanonymous.blogspot.com/

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Their research is racist. They only evaluated Mexican and European Americans!
    They are also ageist! Is that a word? Why only 'old' people?
    I'm actually kind of offended by the article... :o
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Err ... not obese. I drink diet because I like cold fizzy drinks (hate sparkling water) and I don't want to cut out food to compensate for switching to regular soda.

I mean, really. If I'm drinking calories, there'd better be alcohol, chocolate, or ice cream in it. Ok, or milk. I like the occasional latte or au lait.

Didn't mean that only obese people drink it or that it's the only reason to drink it. Just pointing out that the generality of diet drinkers being more likely to be obese could just as easily mean that obese people are more likely to drink diet. It doesn't mean that diet soda causes the obesity.
  • _John_
    edited March 2015
    Options

In one of the studies in rats for my dissertation the animal use committee was pretty hard on me for number of animals and the dose of arsenic I could give the rats (to be able to measure arsenic in urine).

So, it ain't my fault coach...
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    correlation-does-not-imply-causation.png?fit=848%2C1024

Holy *kitten*!!! Autism causes people to buy organic food??

My uncle started buying all organic food after his daughter was diagnosed with autism.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    OK forget my flippant comment about water earlier I've just had an epiphany. I have an off the wall idea this may be out there and a little controversial but I'll float it anyway. I have heard rumours that fat people have been known to eat food. Yes actually eat food now I know it could be a bit of a strange idea but is it at all possible that food could be at anyway indicated in someone's obesity? I know stupid idea now I say it I see what a ridiculous idea that is you know the idea that eating too much food could make you fat. ridiculous Huh

BLASPHEMY.
  • stealthq
    Options

In one of the studies in rats for my dissertation the animal use committee was pretty hard on me for number of animals and the dose of arsenic I could give the rats (to be able to measure arsenic in urine).

So, it ain't my fault coach...

I'm guessing you meant to quote my other post ... in which case, sometimes the powers that be interfere and you have to work with what you've got. That's understood.

The people I'm talking about have been PI's for a loooong time. The only thing that could interfere with their study designs is the IRB - and I know they weren't an issue. As usual, the designs are based on convenience. Still not a problem, if they'd just confine their questions to things the study can answer. But, no. Lots of 'make my data show me the results I want to see, or think I ought to be seeing'.

These people know better. They just don't DO better.