"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Options

Replies

• swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Since we're on the topic of mothers, I thought I'd share my story.

When I was around 10 years old my mother made me start counting calories. I was a little chubby but by no means obese. I had a weight watchers book and a note book and I had to write down everything I ate. I was the only person in the family who had to do this, and I don't recall ever actually losing weight from it. If anything I just put on more weight as I went through school. At this point the comments about my weight from my mother stopped, at least to my face, and now it was my dad who decided to constantly point it out, even having the nerve to ask if I was pregnant. I felt as though they were ashamed and embarrassed by how I looked. Instead of motivating me to lose weight, that just made me eat my feelings even more. By the end of university I was the heaviest I'd ever been. I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance early last year and that was finally the motivation I needed to lose weight. I'm now down 22kg. About 10kg ago I started getting the "you're too skinny" and "you're anorexic" from my mother. Here I was thinking I'd finally made her proud by losing the weight and instead she was still shaming my body. Thankfully I'm strong enough to ignore her now, because I'm finally happy enough with my own body after years of self-hate. I now understand that her comments come from a place of insecurity, and really have nothing to do with me. I just ignore her and take pride in the fact that I'm now doing this for ME, not her.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    swift13b wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic of mothers, I thought I'd share my story.

When I was around 10 years old my mother made me start counting calories. I was a little chubby but by no means obese. I had a weight watchers book and a note book and I had to write down everything I ate. I was the only person in the family who had to do this, and I don't recall ever actually losing weight from it. If anything I just put on more weight as I went through school. At this point the comments about my weight from my mother stopped, at least to my face, and now it was my dad who decided to constantly point it out, even having the nerve to ask if I was pregnant. I felt as though they were ashamed and embarrassed by how I looked. Instead of motivating me to lose weight, that just made me eat my feelings even more. By the end of university I was the heaviest I'd ever been. I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance early last year and that was finally the motivation I needed to lose weight. I'm now down 22kg. About 10kg ago I started getting the "you're too skinny" and "you're anorexic" from my mother. Here I was thinking I'd finally made her proud by losing the weight and instead she was still shaming my body. Thankfully I'm strong enough to ignore her now, because I'm finally happy enough with my own body after years of self-hate. I now understand that her comments come from a place of insecurity, and really have nothing to do with me. I just ignore her and take pride in the fact that I'm now doing this for ME, not her.

yeah, my mother tried to "help" me, i think, by "suggesting" that i try this or that diet with her...whatever was the thing at the time. Ugh, cabbage soup. gross...Looking back at pictures, and knowing that while I WAS overweight by the time I graduated, I was only between 5 and 15 pounds overweight and nowhere near "obese", I can tell that had she not drawn so much attention to my weight, i might have been fine. Even now, when her friend and her were discussing my weight loss, both of them seemed to have odd and inaccurate recollections of how i used to "eat my feelings" and that's why i "weighed so much". Having a more objective view now of what's unhealthy and what is not, and the fact that i know for sure that emotional eating was never a problem for me (on the contrary, when i'm upset i tend to NOT eat...sometimes for days, depending on the issue), I'm pretty certain that they are (and were) both projecting their own issues. it's funny....as soon as her friend said i was an emotional eater as a child, i spoke up and said "no, i think maybe you're remembering incorrectly. i never ate when i was "sad" or ate excessively because of feeling this way or that" and she said "oh yes you did. if anything happened, you and karin (her kid) would sneak off with cookies or cake or whatever you could get your hands on".........um.....never happened. like literally. never happened. lol.
  • jean1058
    jean1058 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    arahn777 wrote: »
    "you're too skinny" or "you had better not lose any more weight".
    Wouldn't these people get their panties in a bunch if you replied "you're too fat" or "you had better lose weight"?? Not that the above is an appropriate response, BUT I'm trying to make a point. It's actually none of their beeswax. Simply smile and say something like "thanks for noticing".
  • snappycat1
    snappycat1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My comeback, in my head, is 'only by comparison', one of these days it may accidentally slip out though! The problem is we live in a society that is totally dillusional. Other people are fat - we are a vanity size 12 which is totally healthy... And if I hear one more person say well Marilyn was a size 14 I might head butt a wall. I'm 5 ft 9 and 140 lbs but still feel slightly overweight for my frame, not by much but def by a bit. 50 years ago my peers would probably have pointed out I needed to lay off the cake! I wear a size 6 in Next which is bonkers because I'm heavier now than I was when I was 18 and at that time I did a bit of modelling and was a standard size 12! We get very mixed messages about our weight...
  • MrJuice223
    MrJuice223 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I got that alot. I weighed 280 lbs over a year ago and now my weight has been hovering between 175-185. Friends, family and coworkers have given me the old, "Don't lost anymore weight, you're too skinny! Eat some McDonald's". Mind you I have high blood pressure and my readings have been doing well. Exes have seen me and was like, "Ew you're too skinny, I like men with meat on their bones". I'm not scrawny and toned up well, I guess people are used to seeing me with my cheeks looking like a male cabbage patch kid and no cheek bones. In saying that, I respond, "well my blood pressure and self-esteem loves it" lol
  • juleelee
    juleelee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I got that from a few people when I lost 30 lbs 15 yrs ago...whatever, I was 150 at 5'7". Long story short, a couple years after that I ended up gaining about 100 lbs because of health issues/treatment. But right now I've only got about 25 lbs to lose til I get back to my goal of 150. And it will be music to my ears the first time I hear someone tell me I'm too skinny! ;)
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I hear it too. Mostly from people who are trying to lose. One women at work who is in her 60s tells me it makes you look older when you're too thin. I'm not too thin. I'm 5;4" and 126 pounds She's about 40 pounds over weight.
  • ariffianti
    ariffianti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Am 5'1 , 112 pound , , most people I know at club ( I went to celebrity fitness ) told me to stop cardio & eat more , , while my friend from work say " am looking at my best "
    Confused
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I think - I'm healthy and I feel great - is a good response. Frankly, it's a rude remark. People do worry - when people get very low body fat, you worry they're ill, but if they know you, the must know you're exercising, not sick. But mostly people's ideas of what we're supposed to look like is distorted by being around so many heavy people. I walked into a Christmas gathering last year with my family - who I love dearly. But they're all fat. My mom started asking everyone - loudly - whether 'wasn't I too skinny?' and 'shouldn't I gain weight?'. I'm not skinny - I'm a good healthy 21 BMI, same weight I was when she thought I was healthy at 21 (I'm 55). My brother finally said "Mom - she's the only person in the room with a healthy weight and who doesn't have diabetes or a heart problem - why are you going after HER?"

I work at a college. I realized that my students look older and older every year. It's because they are heavier than their parents! We had to change the seating in our auditorium to larger seats. Few of them are the typical skinny kids they used to be.

Also (sorry, I'm on a rant), any time I mention that I'm not going to eat all of something because it's too much, people say 'you could eat anything, you're so thin!'. Instead of 'you're thin because you DON'T eat everything'.

It's rude to talk about other people's bodies. It's rude to criticize people for being heavy because you don't know what the reasons are. It's rude to comment on people being too thin.
  • 123juliaj123
    123juliaj123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot in the last 9 months and my work means people visit me about every two months. In the last couple of months its as though they have suddenly realised that I am a lot thinner and they are commenting with

Oh my god are you ill?
    you shouldnt be losing all that weight you looked lovely before
    what happened to all your curves - (men)
    dont lose any more will you
    you must be careful you are losing too much too fast

My clients are mostly elderly and I wonder if it is as much to do with their mind set.

I tell them I feel so much better mind and body and they then usually say thats good but be careful dear

It is a little odd I lost two stones early on and no one seemed to notice but now they suddenly see it and dont seem too happy

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I'm sort of glad my mom still thinks I'm too fat (and I am). When my not-fat sister started working on losing baby weight, my mom told her her face was ugly (it's not). Too fat>ugly face.

Ugh. Heart hurt...one of my best friend's mom actually says things like this. "You're getting too fat" (she's like what a size 6?). I don't know why people assume it doesn't hurt when you re an adult. You wouldn't say this to a child (oh man...so awful) why would people talk like this to adults :(

Unfortunately there ARE people who would say this to their child. Some people are just mean at heart.

I must be very emotional and pms'ing today because that totally makes me almost cry .

Yeah. It's pretty sad. I sat on a bus one time and listened to a mother chat with a complete stranger about how her daughter (who was about 6 or 7 and full cognizant of the conversation) was VERY overweight compared with the charts for kids her age and she would have to have a talk with the doctor about how to "fix her".....she was mildly chubby, by the way. Pretty standard looking for a kid that age. Some are bigger, some are smaller....it tends to kind of even out AFTER puberty.

My brother is a doctor and he says those are the most annoying parents and he just wants to slap them: who buys food, who cooks it? Some people grrr!!
  • SCP0914
    SCP0914 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    "So...You're the same height and weigh 10 pounds less, am I not allowed to be as thin as you?"

I'm 5'3, 140 with a goal of 120. I'm definitely not too skinny, my BMI is on the high side. But I get this too. My family was super encouraging until I got down to about their size and then it was "You don't need to lose anymore weight." I think it boils down to the fact that people want to see you do good, but never better than them.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I got you are too skinny. Karen carpenter skinny, not a compliment.
  • sweety510
    sweety510 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    (I apologize for my horrible grammar) I totally feel this, my family are heavily obese, two of my sisters and my brother are atleast 270-400 lbs each except for me and my mom. We could've of gotten to that point but we choose not to and as for me it's for the sake of my kids and I just want to feel healthy and be active. They all have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and one just became a diabetic, yet they still continue to eat that way. I've tried many times to persuade them to try a healthy life style change, but they are too stubborn, and to make matters worse I'm 10lbs away from my goal, and my sisters make comments like "Oh my god my boyfriend loves me the way I am, and he says ew!!! to all of the skinny girls cause they are just nothing but a bag of bones!" That really hurts and upsetting like I know she directing those comments towards me. And I'm just way too nice and don't know what to say back. Then there will be days like, I'll be in the kitchen then my sister comes in and she'll ask me if I'm hungry or if I have eaten yet... and I would answer "yes, I've ate already" and she would say things like "what have you eaten? Rabbit food?" Like seriously that is so unnecessary! I am 4'11 and use to be 160lbs so I know how hard it is and how tempting food can be and I totally understand them and as of right now I'm 117 lbs and my goal weight is atleast 107-110lbs , that what I've always been before I had kids and where I've felt most healthiest. Luckily I have my mom for support but when I do get below 115lbs then she does the "your too skinny comments as well, and you should stop." There was some friends that have question my diet and just wanted info on what I was doing and how much I wanted to loose. Then they would say things like "oh you should stop, you look good, you don't need to loose anymore weight, I personally like curves and you don't want to look like a stick, but that's up to you." What gives! She's is 5'5 at 115lbs and I was at 4'11 at 123lbs at the time. Jealousy is such a green eye monster, when I see other people loosing weight and their stories and they are happy at their goal weight, I cheer them on and support them by saying "keep up the good work!"
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think we've actually become conditioned to overweight being the norm for adults, so that anything different looks ill.

Look at hollywood movies from 50 years ago - James Stewart would be seen as anorexic by todays standards
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I think we've actually become conditioned to overweight being the norm for adults, so that anything different looks ill.

Look at hollywood movies from 50 years ago - James Stewart would be seen as anorexic by todays standards

Or Frank Sinatra in his younger days. Rail thin and a heart throb!
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I had a friend comment on a Facebook photo that I was getting too skinny! I've lost 48#. I'm 5'1 and 108#, a healthy BMI for me very small frame!
    Ugh! I just deleted the comment. I should add she is MFP friend too and hasn't logged in since around March. So frustrating because I've done well to help my joints. I have an autoimmune disease and both my primary and rheumatologist are both pleased with my progress. After reading your responses, I wish I would have said something positive back!
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the overweight BMI range and have gotten comments from two coworkers, one who is close to being underweight and one who is maybe overweight) that I should stop trying to lose weight. But I tell them I'm aiming for a healthy BMI and haven't gotten there yet. I'm pretty used to being argued with or told that I'm wrong when I know I'm not. I 100% know what a healthy weight looks like on the scale and on the body, so this instance doesn't bother me much, I just think it's sad how most people don't know what healthy looks like anymore.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I guess I've been maintaining since late winter/early spring of this year. Although for the past few months a few people I'm acquainted with have been calling me the Skeleton Man lately. Thinking about increasing my calorie intake past 2100 if nothing much changes on my next weigh in. I'm also thinking about trying a "refeed day."