Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Cringe no, but I do make a point that they aren't supposed to hold on to the monitors while doing an incline walk (they're a monitor not a hand hold).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

YOURE MAKING ME HUNGRYYYY
    Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Gross. Who eats crap like that if they are at or going to the gym. Ew.

People who have figured out exactly how they can fit a Double Down into their day? Or cardio bunnies willing to sweat 600 calories out?

That stuff is gross and I don't think it's even real food. I don't see how those fatty maybe not even foods could help you do a double down or sweat out 600 calories? Not to mention, have you see what it does almost immediately to your blood, so gross.

what does it do almost immediately to my blood? do tell

When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

I do. Because I can.

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

People who have figured out exactly how they can fit a Double Down into their day? Or cardio bunnies willing to sweat 600 calories out?

That stuff is gross and I don't think it's even real food. I don't see how those fatty maybe not even foods could help you do a double down or sweat out 600 calories? Not to mention, have you see what it does almost immediately to your blood, so gross.

What does it do to our blood? And I've never had a double down

Hight fat food straight to your bloodstream

LOLOLOLOLOL

NVM
  • amuraoka
    amuraoka Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hate when people leave the 100+ pound dumbbells on the floor after they're done using them. Normally I'll pick up and put away dumbbells if I see them out, but man it's hard picking up those really heavy ones when there isn't room for both hands on the handle!
    Also people who get too close to me. I was doing standing cable flies last week and a guy walked by about 6 inches in front of me and totally threw off my set.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I dont care how people exercise as long as its sanitary and hygienic (IE if you sweat over the machine, wipe it off after use!!!)

The worst I saw was some guy sneeze over a treadmill, snot flew all over the machine and handles, and he used his hand to wipe some of it off. His friend came over a while later to use the machine, and the guy just passed it over without wiping it down or anything . :s

I also hold onto the treadmill cause I don't want to trend on youtube or twitter due to an ugly fall
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is that the worst offenders of gym etiquette are employed by the gym. The trainers and their clients will tie up several squat racks/bars/machines while doing a circuit. Fine, I understand that, and it's annoying, but I can live with it. But, they will leave things on a machine to hold them even though they've finished the last set on that machine (but not completed the entire circuit yet). Or, they'll leave weights/steps/equipment scattered all over the place. And they NEVER unrack the weights when they finish.

Beyond that, they don't even bother to teach proper form. Ugh. I hate the trainers at my gym...
  • wackyncrazy1
    wackyncrazy1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i hold the handle on the treadmill part of the time but i'm fat and feel more comfortable at times doing this. It should bother anyone else what i'm doing its not hurting them but i don't care i just keep doing my thing i'm moving and losing. I hate when people spit in the water fountain, will jump on and off the treadmill to text for the whole time they are doing there 30 min run.
  • WitchofWashington
    WitchofWashington Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

I do. Because I can.

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Sorry but that is no way a reputable source.

Got any that isn't a blog?

Also, that video doesn't even support your argument. Sorry.

It was a bit hard to even find the video. I saw it some time back but didn't save it, this was the closest I could get before I went to bed for the night. There is a second video, which was the one I was looking for, which the doctor talks about this yellowy liquid coming from his veins before getting his blood. Turned out he had just eaten a high fat lunch at the local fast food place.

Could you explain my the video does not support my argument? Most of my argument was opinion in the fact that I think those products are garbage and I don't think anyone should be eating most of it. And then I brought up about the blood showing a change when eating such foods.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    There is a guy at my gym who works out in a full suit, Shirt, tie, trousers, shoes etc. I think he only has limited time on his lunch break before he has to get back to the office. Either that or he just likes to keep it smart and professional 24/7. I love that guy.

Reminds me of the Power of 10 workout video on Youtube. It is to show how anyone can perform a short, intense total body strength workout. It is my once-a-week workout of choice but I wear shorts and t-shirt.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't judge anyone for it but I do wonder what the point is in putting the treadmill on an incline to just hold on to it. Like when people are on the steppers and put all their weight on the side
    I cringe at the men with big muscles strutting around in tiny little vests and shorts who clearly love themselves.
    When people don't wipe down the machines..
    I was in a Zumba class the other day and there was LOADS of space and a woman came into the class late and stood right next to me so I was practically bumping into her. That annoyed me.

The point is that there is still benefit to it for them, but the larger point is that it really isn't an issue that is your concern. It's their workout, how they do it has zero effect on you.

This is why I don't get why any of this annoys, makes someone cringe, or even causes anyone to wonder.... it has zero effect on you personally. Why is it even a thing? The denial that you are, in fact, judging, is just silly.

Yeah but turning the incline right up then holding on for dear life defeats the point of the incline in the first place. I know it has no effect on me but just because I'm curious about why someone would do this doesn't mean I'm in the wrong or being judgy about it.

No, it doesn't defeat the point of the incline. The incline increases the calorie burn and holding onto the rail just theoretically decreases it and it's still none of your concern why they'd do it. They may have balance issues. They may have mobility issues. They may have issues with motion. They're still getting a benefit from the incline.

• WitchofWashington
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

this may be the most ignorant statement in this thread….

What? Because I THINK it's gross, I'm ignorant. Oh please, do tell. 8)
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't judge anyone for it but I do wonder what the point is in putting the treadmill on an incline to just hold on to it. Like when people are on the steppers and put all their weight on the side
    I cringe at the men with big muscles strutting around in tiny little vests and shorts who clearly love themselves.
    When people don't wipe down the machines..
    I was in a Zumba class the other day and there was LOADS of space and a woman came into the class late and stood right next to me so I was practically bumping into her. That annoyed me.

The point is that there is still benefit to it for them, but the larger point is that it really isn't an issue that is your concern. It's their workout, how they do it has zero effect on you.

This is why I don't get why any of this annoys, makes someone cringe, or even causes anyone to wonder.... it has zero effect on you personally. Why is it even a thing? The denial that you are, in fact, judging, is just silly.

Yeah but turning the incline right up then holding on for dear life defeats the point of the incline in the first place. I know it has no effect on me but just because I'm curious about why someone would do this doesn't mean I'm in the wrong or being judgy about it.

No, it doesn't defeat the point of the incline. The incline increases the calorie burn and holding onto the rail just theoretically decreases it and it's still none of your concern why they'd do it. They may have balance issues. They may have mobility issues. They may have issues with motion. They're still getting a benefit from the incline.

Okay I'll admit defeat. Each to their own I guess.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Now that I am at the gym all the time, my biggest peeves are....

1. At 5 AM, People slamming their big weights on the ground when they are through, making a really loud bang. I am inevitably always trying to do something on one foot at the time and it throws off my balance!
    2. People not wearing proper workout attire, ie treadmill in jeans and sandles. My gym has dress code, but I see it on occasion.
    3. General body odor from BO, cologne, smoking, etc.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

I do. Because I can.

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

...There is a second video, which was the one I was looking for, which the doctor talks about this yellowy liquid coming from his veins before getting his blood. Turned out he had just eaten a high fat lunch at the local fast food place.....

Sorry, but this is the most idiotic post in this thread. Not even close.

The only thing in your veins is blood. It is pretty much evenly mixed throughout your body. There is no chance that when drawing blood you would get a "yellowy liquid" from your vein. Zero chance. You will get blood. It isn't like looking at the dipstick in a car where you can stick a needle in your vein and pull it out to see how far up on the needle the "yellowy liquid" goes.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    abarriere wrote: »

1. At 5 AM, People slamming their big weights on the ground when they are through, making a really loud bang. I am inevitably always trying to do something on one foot at the time and it throws off my balance!
    2. People not wearing proper workout attire, ie treadmill in jeans and sandles. My gym has dress code, but I see it on occasion.

You have to remember if the weights have bumper plates and/or there is a rubber covered lifting platform, dropping the weights in some moves is not considered incorrect form.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I suggest a large dose of get over it with a side of more get over it...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Pretty sure dropping weights is sometimes necessary no matter what time of day it is...would you prefer someone hurt themselves to protect your ears?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

I do. Because I can.

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

...There is a second video, which was the one I was looking for, which the doctor talks about this yellowy liquid coming from his veins before getting his blood. Turned out he had just eaten a high fat lunch at the local fast food place.....

The only thing in your veins is blood. It is pretty much evenly mixed throughout your body. There is no chance that when drawing blood you would get a "yellowy liquid" from your vein. Zero chance. You will get blood. It isn't like looking at the dipstick in a car where you can stick a needle in your vein and pull it out to see how far up on the needle the "yellowy liquid" goes.

An aspheresis (sp?) machine will draw blood and filter out the plasma which then appears as a yellow liquid.

Even still, slightly darker plasma due to a temporary (4 to 6 hours, according to the video) triglyceride spike after a meal loaded with saturated fats is hardly evidence of any damaging effects on the body or blood from such a meal and certainly not proof that a couple of fried chicken legs and a biscuit are garbage.
  • WitchofWashington
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

I do. Because I can.

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

http://bmedia.fooducate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Buttery-Blood.jpg

Tell me, are you a phlebotomist?

Oh, and PS, blood is not all that is in your veins, there is plac and arteries clogged by garbage diets.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

I just got back from my cardiologist, I have no longer heart issues and the doctor said I have blood pressure of a teenager!!!.....and that's eating fast food, cookies, ice cream but also lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc.....just all in moderation!!! ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

I do. Because I can.

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

http://bmedia.fooducate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Buttery-Blood.jpg

Tell me, are you a phlebotomist?

Oh, and PS, blood is not all that is in your veins, there is plac and arteries clogged by garbage diets.

so you are saying that one 600 calorie meal from KFC is a "garbage diet"....or are you making a general statement based on assumptions that no one knows?