Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    abarriere wrote: »
    Now that I am at the gym all the time, my biggest peeves are....

1. At 5 AM, People slamming their big weights on the ground when they are through, making a really loud bang. I am inevitably always trying to do something on one foot at the time and it throws off my balance!
    2. People not wearing proper workout attire, ie treadmill in jeans and sandles. My gym has dress code, but I see it on occasion.
    3. General body odor from BO, cologne, smoking, etc.

Pretty sure dropping weights is sometimes necessary no matter what time of day it is...would you prefer someone hurt themselves to protect your ears?

I would definitely not want someone to get hurt. It was more of a joke about my lack of balance ability at 5 am than a real knock on the weight lifters....
  • cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Pet peeve: 10 minutes of stretching for 2 minutes of treadmill
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Pre workout is in my belly and I'm about to superset chest/back work for about an hour.
    I will report back here with anything that happens to irk me while I'm hitting the gym...hard...in the face.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

YOURE MAKING ME HUNGRYYYY
    Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Gross. Who eats crap like that if they are at or going to the gym. Ew.

I do. Because I can.
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

YOURE MAKING ME HUNGRYYYY
    Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Gross. Who eats crap like that if they are at or going to the gym. Ew.

People who have figured out exactly how they can fit a Double Down into their day? Or cardio bunnies willing to sweat 600 calories out?

That stuff is gross and I don't think it's even real food. I don't see how those fatty maybe not even foods could help you do a double down or sweat out 600 calories? Not to mention, have you see what it does almost immediately to your blood, so gross.

What does it do to our blood? And I've never had a double down

Hight fat food straight to your bloodstream
    Sorry but that is no way a reputable source.

Got any that isn't a blog?

Also, that video doesn't even support your argument. Sorry.

...There is a second video, which was the one I was looking for, which the doctor talks about this yellowy liquid coming from his veins before getting his blood. Turned out he had just eaten a high fat lunch at the local fast food place.....

Sorry, but this is the most idiotic post in this thread. Not even close.

The only thing in your veins is blood. It is pretty much evenly mixed throughout your body. There is no chance that when drawing blood you would get a "yellowy liquid" from your vein. Zero chance. You will get blood. It isn't like looking at the dipstick in a car where you can stick a needle in your vein and pull it out to see how far up on the needle the "yellowy liquid" goes.

http://bmedia.fooducate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Buttery-Blood.jpg

Tell me, are you a phlebotomist?

Oh, and PS, blood is not all that is in your veins, there is plac and arteries clogged by garbage diets.

Um, you posted a picture of blood that has separated into plasma, buffy coat, and red blood cells, which is standard for everyone who is alive.

What exactly do you do for a living?

Actually that is not what the picture is, but thanks for playing.

Ummm. Actually, the picture that was posted was of fairly normal blood that had been drawn into serum separator tubes (SST/a certain brand's tubes of this type are designated by the red/gray marled stopper). The yellow (on top) is serum--not plasma--because the blood has been clotted and then centrifuged to separate it from the red cells. It might be a little too yellow-ish (serum should be straw-colored), but it's otherwise pretty normal looking (not to say that it didn't come from somebody who may be unhealthy however). The center layer--kind of creamy-looking--is a gel that comes preloaded in the tubes. It contains clot activators to help the blood clot and then, when centrifuged, it forms a barrier between the serum and the cellular layer. The bottom layer--dark-colored--contains the cellular components of blood: red cells, white cells, platelets, etc., as well as the fibrin clot.

Tubes like this are used when you want to measure analytes that may be adversely impacted by prolonged contact with red blood cells--glucose, potassium, ionized calcium are some of the analytes that may be included in this list, but this tube type is used routinely for many more.

Source: I am a clinical laboratory scientist.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    erikgoya wrote: »
    Pet peeves... Long list coming at you.

Watching people not squat to parallel.

People who try power lifting with metal plates instead of rubber.

Dudebros drinking energy drinks while lifting.

The fact that my gym only has 2 squat racks and a power rack.

So you don't understand that 1/4 squats can be (although usually it's just bad form) beneficial. Got it.

Ummm... Yeah - powerlifters typically use metal plates. Oly lifters tend to use the rubber bumper plates.

Energy drinks are fine - some people just prefer the taste.

Your gym has one more squat rack than mine.

My takeaway? You don't really know what you're talking about.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me at the gym is if someone doesn't wipe the machines down. Gross. Otherwise,I really can't imagine caring what they do if it doesn't have anything to do with me.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    All I'm seeing is someone going around flagging valid comments. Whoever is doing it probably doesn't know your username get's sent to the moderators along with the post that you have flagged..

If the moderators think it was a waste of their time they come back at you. In short it backfires.

Don't do it for the sake of your id. You still have time to un-flag the comments.
    It is going to backfire. And hopefully anyone who has a couple warnings on them isn't the one flagging because I think that won't end well at all.

What people need to point out the frivolous flagging.
    All I'm seeing is someone going around flagging valid comments. Whoever is doing it probably doesn't know your username get's sent to the moderators along with the post that you have flagged..

If the moderators think it was a waste of their time they come back at you. In short it backfires.

Don't do it for the sake of your id. You still have time to un-flag the comments.

Yup..I've noticed people have been flagging my comments too.

I think they are upset at the comment and are flagging the comment per say as though to suggest they aren't agreeing.

But that's not what the flag system is meant for. I have a feeling they aren't aware what goes on behind the scenes.

Then say something to someone and maybe it will stop.

Wait what?

Are you asking me why I mentioned about flagging?

I'm not following why you quoted me.

What I was saying was that if you're noticing all the frivolous flagging going on then point it out to a moderator. We have people that give out good advice been flagged for no reason. Members need to be shown that they can't flag without actual abuse taking place.

You are completely right about flags being abused but it's important that people also know that having 'flags' against you has zero consequences to yourself unless a moderator reviews it and considers it to be abuse or a violation of community guidelines.

The only thing that we pay attention to with regards to member history are 'warnings', 'abuse reports' and notes between moderators (if we've messaged you, had to take any other action other than warnings).

Unnecessary flagging does take up valuable time that we could otherwise be spending looking through reports of guideline violations and addressing other important issues so it is severely frowned upon for hopefully obvious reasons.

Just to confirm though, having flags 'against' you will have absolutely no consequences to the person flagged, we simply review the reports and dismiss any that don't fall under the category they have been flagged for. Although you keep the number of flags made against you, the 'abuse' flags are at no point held against you and shouldn't be worried about!

Have an awesome day/evening/night!

Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator

@Adamk10

You have decided that you want to address this matter in this thread so I will reply to you in this thread. Since I know we are not allowed to question moderators maybe you don't want this conversation here and you maybe would prefer to PM me but either way I'm going to ask, because you are here.

You say you focus on the flag, read the post and then decide what action gets taken against the person that got flagged. Well, I know for a fact that people have been sent messages telling them they are abusing the flag system by flagging posts that aren't considered abuse. So my question is, do rules apply to everyone or just to some. What about the person flagging the posts in this thread? We know that it's 1 of 2 people that are likely to be doing it. So tell us, the members, with transparency, what's being done to discourage that person or those people.

Rules are rules and should not be applied selectively.

@MrM27‌
    I will of course answer you and I don't see your question for a second as 'questioning moderator actions'. Quite the opposite, you have the right to know that we are targeting issues such at this!
    I can't give specific details of actions we take but I can guarantee you that we have a list of members that we know make repeated unnecessary flags.
    This list is created by the moderator team and any actions taken are done by the MyFitnessPal staff team (Olivia, Rachel, etc).

Because the transition to vanilla is still relatively new, the guidelines with regards to flag abuse is still being revised and decided upon by staff. It's important that people feel comfortable using the flag system for the reasons it is intended but as you very rightly say, it would be extremely unfair if people that were persistently abusing the system were left to do so without consequence.

I hope this answers your question somewhat, I'm sure you appreciate that I can only give certain details out due to privacy but I hope this puts your mind at ease that we are taking action to address the flagging issue.

• cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Pet peeve: Personal trainer comes to you and talks a good game but wants to charge $500 a session....go *bleep* yourself!!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    cskone38 wrote: »
    Pet peeve: 10 minutes of stretching for 2 minutes of treadmill

Some people have physical limitations and they need the long stretch prior to a workout and that 2 minutes is as long as their body let them go for.

I have some wonky leg pain going on and I've been lucky that I'm still able to run. But I tend to foam roll and stretch for about 20min before my group runs which are about 30min. And then I go home and I stretch & roll for at least another 20 min.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

Yes, I am telling you that. Other people need to finish their workouts too. Some of us are in a hurry. Your time is not any more valuable than someone else's.

Thanks for making the rest of us pick up your dirty towel when we need to use the space that you are hold up. If you were in my gym, you would come back to find your water bottle and towel in the garbage. I'd probably turn you in to the front desk too as any kind of supersetting is against the rules if anyone is waiting.
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

Yes, I am telling you that. Other people need to finish their workouts too. Some of us are in a hurry. Your time is not any more valuable than someone else's.

Thanks for making the rest of us pick up your dirty towel when we need to use the space that you are hold up. If you were in my gym, you would come back to find your water bottle and towel in the garbage. I'd probably turn you in to the front desk too as any kind of supersetting is against the rules if anyone is waiting.

How about nope...I'll do what I want as other people have did the same thing I have (putting their stuff on a machine as an indicator of them still using it) and I don't complain and cry about it. If you want to use the machine I'm on, just ask and I'll gladly let you use it along with me. Don't be rude and touch my stuff if you're not allowed to. Sorry but nope. Go to Planet Fitness then (which I don't go to btw judging by your previous comment.....LOL). Not my problem. Maybe I'm just too hardcore for people like you as it seems like older people just *kitten* about this issue the most.

I'm not old (hey thanks!) and I don't go to Planet Fitness. I go to an upscale private gym where supersetting is not allowed because it is rude and inefficient.

You can't hold your spot. Use it or lose it. It's just basic manners.

I said you were OLDER, not old. Obviously if I'm 23 and you're in your late 30s..that means you're older and why are you bringing up that old topic? Who cares, I'm still gonna do what I want ok? If you don't like it too bad as I don't go to the same gym as you :)

Sure, because everything in the world exists as it relates to you!

I haven't bothered to look at this thread in a couple of days...hence not commenting until just now.

No, being a narcissistic *kitten* is never OK. Guys like you are the reason why more women don't lift--we don't want to deal with the place saving, the lack of manners, the space-hogging and the awful attitudes.

I've been using weights since I was a teenager and I am a big woman who can lift more than a lot of men, so it doesn't slow me down much...but I understand why a lot of women avoid that scene completely.

You don't speak for all women. I'd rather see someone else's towel on the bench than have you come up and touch my stuff.

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I laugh to myself a bit every time I see a comment about wiping down equipment. I obviously do it, but it makes me think of days past in a gym. I've been going to a school gym or public gym for 40+ years. Most of the places I went to early on didn't have air conditioning other than a large cattle fan to move the hot air around on a 90+ degree day. Wiping up equipment was not done. Amazingly never heard of anyone getting sick from anything in their gym.

I have thought this before as well
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Seems a lot of the pet peeves are people complaining about people who aren't as physically able as themselves, not being able to work out as hard as they can or in the same way.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Notice

Please could everybody refrain from attacks towards other members, if you feel that you can't reply to another member in a productive and non-argumentative way then please move on to another reply or thread that holds more interest to you.

If you see a thread or reply within it that you feel breaches community guidelines please use the 'report' feature found on each thread and reply within it. Breaching community guidelines by attacking and/or derailing a thread can only lead to negative feeling and warnings being issued to yourself.

With respect,

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    In light of the fact that a poster thinks 60 seconds is a reasonable amount of time to go to the bathroom and get back to your bike: My #1 pet peeve, in all life situations, is people who use the restroom and do not wash their hands. Please, take 10 minutes if you need to do so.

Unless the person is on the bike for a couple hours or has a bladder problem what is wrong with using the bathroom before or after using the bike instead of taking a random break and expecting the bike to be "held" for them?

You've never heard of the runner's trots? You go to the bathroom, then start your run and within 5 minutes, you're ready to explode out the rear end. Happens to a lot of people!
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    Options
    My biggest annoyance is when people sit on a machine and take selfies for 10 mins. Or all of the tredmills are full and there are people with a speed of .1 just chitchatting.

I get it, you pay for your membership just like I do, but I don't want to wait 10-15 mins for a machine so you can look like a fitness enthusiast on instagram. :s

Thats not why everyone takes selfies though. I take them because I lead an accountability group on facebook and we do post workout selfies to show we worked out. FO the ones in the group its very helpful, though it doesnt take tenminutes because I have no hope of looking cute, just a sweaty hot mess! lol!!!
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is people who snack on nuts while working out. I have a nut allergy and I'm a bit pissed that my gym will hand out bags of nuts during launch parties in between workouts. I just picture traces of nuts on everything. Not too long ago I was waiting for a core class to start and there was a girl in there eating almonds that she had piled on the workout mat she was sitting on. Some people clean those suckers after class, but not many. mmmmm, almonds with a hint of backsweat. yum.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    Notice

Please could everybody refrain from attacks towards other members, if you feel that you can't reply to another member in a productive and non-argumentative way then please move on to another reply or thread that holds more interest to you.

If you see a thread or reply within it that you feel breaches community guidelines please use the 'report' feature found on each thread and reply within it. Breaching community guidelines by attacking and/or derailing a thread can only lead to negative feeling and warnings being issued to yourself.

With respect,

Yay!!! Adam saving the day! I was wondering if anyone was going to attempt to fix this train wreck! :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Something I just noticed.

The people complaining about people taking to long of breaks or hogging a bench vs The people that like their rest periods, don't want their stuff touched or told when to use the bathroom. Which group is more likely to be asked DYEL?

Those who get it get it...

...and those who don't never will.