Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA

Here's another treadmill video for you all to enjoy.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Ive recently taken up stronglifts (literally last week!) and even at the minimal weight it recommends a 90 second break between sets. As the weight gets serious this could become several minutes at a time.

It is simply part of the process. Ill be waiting as long as is necessary in order to perform the workout as well as I can. I certainly wont be trying to rush. During those x minutes recovery, what would you have me do?

apparently, you should sit there and stare at the floor, not make eye contact with anyone, and don't even think about using the bathroom or your phone...

Either that or tour the gym asking if anyone wants to work in?

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @EWJLang‌ - Is Charlotte a spaniel? English spaniel?

It is cool seeing Leo pose. Ha Ha!!! Dude knows he is cute.

<~~~ This is Bella.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.

hmmm most people at my gym I see in the am are obese beginners...I guess that means that all early am people are obese beginners....< see what I did there...

Generally the newbies DO NOT come to the gyms at 5am.

but if they do...i think the same applies. NO ONE gets up at 5am to kill time in a gym...on the phone, walking away from equip/ ..people who behave that way would stay home in bed dude. no one gets up at five am to kill time in the gym

If you have that much time to notice what everyone is doing, then you are not doing exercising right!!! Just saying......

Glad I have a home gym, then I don't have to be around the likes of you!!!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.

hmmm most people at my gym I see in the am are obese beginners...I guess that means that all early am people are obese beginners....< see what I did there...

When I started here and got back into exercise, I got up at 4:30 am every day to exercise. Because that's the time I had available to exercise. I needed to be done before my kids woke up, otherwise there was no guarantee I would get a workout in that day.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

You rang?
  • runner475
    Options

When I was big and decided to take charge of my life I got up one morning at 4:00 am and went to gym at 5:00 am and signed up a year's membership. @ 5:00 am

Ever since that day I workout in the early morning. But it all started on one 5 am morning as a "newbie"
  • runner475
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

You rang?

Yeah!!! Hit the enter button fast. Is Charlotte a spaniel? English spaniel?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @EWJLang‌ - Is Charlotte a spaniel? English spaniel?

It is cool seeing Leo pose. Ha Ha!!! Dude knows he is cute.

<~~~ This is Bella.

Who's a good Bella? You are!

Charlotte is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel....so more Leo sized than Bella sized, even though she's got the purty curly ears....

yvwjekcfxv3j.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A gym is a business and the owners/managers want their business to thrive. Most gyms have a system for giving them suggestions and complaints...generally you can get the paperwork at the front desk and even online. You don't have to leave your name if you do not want to. This action alerts the management team about what to work on. If the problem is widespread they will create a policy or procedure to correct if - if the problem is a member that keeps throwing people off equipment that they started to use because it was empty but the member was actually away from the equipment (for whatever reason) ...they will take care of that too. You can't 'save" gym equipment - you are either using it or you are not. There are some gyms that have a sign up system for equipment and those systems are enforced. Regardless feedback your gym to create an environment, policies and procedures that are good for everyone not just a few. I have never used the complaint systems...I just go straight to the GM...best person to know in our gyms is the GM so they get the information on how to manage the gym directly so the gym is not "staff" managed.

In certain circumstances (like going to pee) you absolutely can.

Also, I am perfectly able to tell the person myself to get out of the power rack that I had my towel over the bar in - I even tell them to put the pins back to the same height I had it if irritated enough. I do not need gym management to do it. Also, filling in a complaint form does not address the immediate issue.

You do not sign up for power cages btw.

I have no idea what gyms you have been going to but basically moving someone's stuff without checking to see if they are done (and waiting a reasonable amount of time for them to get back) is extremely bad form.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Just my observation.

but if they do...i think the same applies. NO ONE gets up at 5am to kill time in a gym...on the phone, walking away from equip/ ..people who behave that way would stay home in bed dude. no one gets up at five am to kill time in the gym

I "kill" five minutes between sets every morning I'm at the gym - tapping my foot to the music in my headphones, walking around so my legs don't get cold/cramps, occasionally playing a little air guitar*, spotting others, refilling my water bottle, being cordial to some of the other regulars I see all the time.

As usual, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

* OK - a little more than "occasionally."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Just my observation.

I sit on equipment 'resting' for 5 minutes or more on occasion. I use my cell to pass the time. Resting does not mean you are not working out intensely during your session.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options

Just my observation.

Errr...peeing is 'walking away from equipment' or killing time?

Again, there are valid reasons to rest for 5 minutes or more between sets, depending on the circumstances. In fact, I am typing this between sets...I must not be serious about my fitness or not in good shape according that line of thinking.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    A gym is a business and the owners/managers want their business to thrive. Most gyms have a system for giving them suggestions and complaints...generally you can get the paperwork at the front desk and even online. You don't have to leave your name if you do not want to. This action alerts the management team about what to work on. If the problem is widespread they will create a policy or procedure to correct if - if the problem is a member that keeps throwing people off equipment that they started to use because it was empty but the member was actually away from the equipment (for whatever reason) ...they will take care of that too. You can't 'save" gym equipment - you are either using it or you are not. There are some gyms that have a sign up system for equipment and those systems are enforced. Regardless feedback your gym to create an environment, policies and procedures that are good for everyone not just a few. I have never used the complaint systems...I just go straight to the GM...best person to know in our gyms is the GM so they get the information on how to manage the gym directly so the gym is not "staff" managed.

But what if the majority of complaints are about people having their equipment taken away while they are still using it? What would management do there?

I think the issue you here the idea of what "saving" is. I don't consider someone who has gone to the washroom "saving" a piece of equipment. I also don't consider someone who is moving between two exercises/pieces of equipment "saving" so long as we aren't talking numerous pieces of equipment for a long period of time. I consider those items "in use". Just like if the person were resting right beside it. If I really need the equipment I'll ask to work in.

Its like getting up part way during a meal in a restaurant to use the restroom and coming back to find someone has cleared your food away and is sitting at your table.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Just my observation.

This is Evan Centopani.
    He goes to the gym I used to go to in CT.
    I never, ever saw him there in the morning.
    He just placed 5th at Arnold in the Professional Bodybuilding class.
    lnqmkf9klh13.jpg

This is Callie Bundy.
    She also goes to that same gym as Evan.
    I was there one night and saw her there.
    She's an IFBB Bikini Pro.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Just my observation.

What time is the official newbie time on your planet?
  • selena_teresa
    selena_teresa Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If people have made it to the gym, they are terrific. If they are working out, they are terrific. If they are working out while holding on to railings, they are terrific. If they moving really slowly, they are terrific. People working out are terrific.

I am a bit behind this thread but I think you post is terrific.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ive recently taken up stronglifts (literally last week!) and even at the minimal weight it recommends a 90 second break between sets. As the weight gets serious this could become several minutes at a time.

It is simply part of the process. Ill be waiting as long as is necessary in order to perform the workout as well as I can. I certainly wont be trying to rush. During those x minutes recovery, what would you have me do?

I'm 46 years old and at a body weight of 140 I deadlift 210 pounds and rack pull 335. Anyone who doesn't think I need to rest-with-Dr.-Evil-air-quotes for five minutes in between those sets can piss right off.

Also, I use my phone to log my workouts, because technology is convenient.