Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.

hmmm most people at my gym I see in the am are obese beginners...I guess that means that all early am people are obese beginners....< see what I did there...

People that exercise in between these two extremities(i.e The afternoon) are neither skinny or fat in my gym. They would probably be considered skinnyfat. ;)

I am having an identity crisis - I often workout in the morning and the evening. In fact, weekends, I sometimes lift in the morning, afternoon and evening. I have no idea if I am in better shape, lazy, skinny fat or maybe all of the above now.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.

hmmm most people at my gym I see in the am are obese beginners...I guess that means that all early am people are obese beginners....< see what I did there...

People that exercise in between these two extremities(i.e The afternoon) are neither skinny or fat in my gym. They would probably be considered skinnyfat. ;)

I am having an identity crisis - I often workout in the morning and the evening. In fact, weekends, I sometimes lift in the morning, afternoon and evening. I have no idea if I am in better shape, lazy, skinny fat or maybe all of the above now.

Doesn't it suck not being able to be so easily boxed up and defined...oh wait.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Ive recently taken up stronglifts (literally last week!) and even at the minimal weight it recommends a 90 second break between sets. As the weight gets serious this could become several minutes at a time.

It is simply part of the process. Ill be waiting as long as is necessary in order to perform the workout as well as I can. I certainly wont be trying to rush. During those x minutes recovery, what would you have me do?

I'm 46 years old and at a body weight of 140 I deadlift 210 pounds and rack pull 335. Anyone who doesn't think I need to rest-with-Dr.-Evil-air-quotes for five minutes in between those sets can piss right off.

Also, I use my phone to log my workouts, because technology is convenient.

This is one of those times I wish MFP had a "like" option :D
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »

Just my observation.

Generally the newbies DO NOT come to the gyms at 5am.

When I started here and got back into exercise, I got up at 4:30 am every day to exercise. Because that's the time I had available to exercise. I needed to be done before my kids woke up, otherwise there was no guarantee I would get a workout in that day.

Impossible. I have it on good authority that newbies DO NOT come to the gyms at 5a. Period. The end.

#science
    #personalobservationisfact
    #extrapolationofpersonalobservationisuniversalfact
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Common practice where I go is when there are weights and/or a stray gym towel laying around a piece of equipment is to ask someone In the area if they've seen anyone using it. If they say, yeah the guy by the water fountain or somebody just walked away a minute ago, I'll wait. If they say they haven't seen anyone in the last 5 minutes, I'm going to use it. NOTE: I wouldn't move anything that was personal property, which would indicate the person was coming back (the gym supplies towels).
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    A gym is a business and the owners/managers want their business to thrive. Most gyms have a system for giving them suggestions and complaints...generally you can get the paperwork at the front desk and even online. You don't have to leave your name if you do not want to. This action alerts the management team about what to work on. If the problem is widespread they will create a policy or procedure to correct if - if the problem is a member that keeps throwing people off equipment that they started to use because it was empty but the member was actually away from the equipment (for whatever reason) ...they will take care of that too. You can't 'save" gym equipment - you are either using it or you are not. There are some gyms that have a sign up system for equipment and those systems are enforced. Regardless feedback your gym to create an environment, policies and procedures that are good for everyone not just a few. I have never used the complaint systems...I just go straight to the GM...best person to know in our gyms is the GM so they get the information on how to manage the gym directly so the gym is not "staff" managed.

In certain circumstances (like going to pee) you absolutely can.

Also, I am perfectly able to tell the person myself to get out of the power rack that I had my towel over the bar in - I even tell them to put the pins back to the same height I had it if irritated enough. I do not need gym management to do it. Also, filling in a complaint form does not address the immediate issue.

You do not sign up for power cages btw.

I have no idea what gyms you have been going to but basically moving someone's stuff without checking to see if they are done (and waiting a reasonable amount of time for them to get back) is extremely bad form.

Actually its not...walking away from gym equipment and leaving all your stuff there is.

You all must belong to very very small gyms. (we all know each other comments are revealing)

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    A gym is a business and the owners/managers want their business to thrive. Most gyms have a system for giving them suggestions and complaints...generally you can get the paperwork at the front desk and even online. You don't have to leave your name if you do not want to. This action alerts the management team about what to work on. If the problem is widespread they will create a policy or procedure to correct if - if the problem is a member that keeps throwing people off equipment that they started to use because it was empty but the member was actually away from the equipment (for whatever reason) ...they will take care of that too. You can't 'save" gym equipment - you are either using it or you are not. There are some gyms that have a sign up system for equipment and those systems are enforced. Regardless feedback your gym to create an environment, policies and procedures that are good for everyone not just a few. I have never used the complaint systems...I just go straight to the GM...best person to know in our gyms is the GM so they get the information on how to manage the gym directly so the gym is not "staff" managed.

Also, I am perfectly able to tell the person myself to get out of the power rack that I had my towel over the bar in - I even tell them to put the pins back to the same height I had it if irritated enough. I do not need gym management to do it. Also, filling in a complaint form does not address the immediate issue.

I have no idea what gyms you have been going to but basically moving someone's stuff without checking to see if they are done (and waiting a reasonable amount of time for them to get back) is extremely bad form.

Actually its not...walking away from gym equipment and leaving all your stuff there is.

You all must belong to very very small gyms. (we all know each other comments are revealing)

Are you actually saying that if you wanted to use a machine and you saw someone walk away and leave their belongings on the machine as an indicator of their return...you would take their things and throw them away?

Like, if I was on a treadmill and had to refill my water bottle but left my towel and magazine there, you would take my stuff?

And you think this is okay?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Nope. I train primarily at UFC gym. It is in no way small. The building prior to it what a major supermarket that closed and now the whole building is a gym.

Again, your assumption is wrong.

If you pulled into a 7-Eleven, parked your cat and ran in to grab a water and left the car on then someone pulled in and found no spot open and saw your car on but no one in it, would it be okay if they got in your car and moved it to the middle of the street if they wanted your spot?

I'd be really embarrassed for the thieves in the area if your car was still there when you got back. Damn slackers

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    For those taking 3-5 minutes between sets do you let others work in if practical? Personally no issue if that happens.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Going to pee is NOT walking away from equipment and leaving all your stuff there.

Not at all - I have been to quite a few gyms over the years - of varying sizes. (We all know that people making comments that are based on assumptions are revealing)
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    I hate when people won't stop talking in classes. I'm trying to hear the instructor and all I can hear is, "BLAH BLAH DIET HERBALIFE BABIEZZ LAWL". I also hate when people leave their phones in the middle of the floor during a class. One of these days I'm going to step on it and it's going to end up being my fault.

I LOLed.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Setting up portable speakers so you can blast your own music instead of wearing headphones.

My jaw is hanging down ... setting up their own speakers...what the actual what?!?!?!?!?! I'm getting a headache just imagining it.

This happened in the pool at my gym once. A family came in and set up their own speakers to blast really inappropriate music. They tried to take over the lap lanes and have a pool party. At one point, somebody threw a ball at my head--it was the DAD. At first I thought that the parents were drunk, but they must have been very high...on what, I am not sure, but it was bad.

I never saw them again after that. I'm pretty sure their membership was cancelled.

Oh my god, I am trying not to die of laughter at my desk job, currently. I cannot believe people have the audacity.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    For those taking 3-5 minutes between sets do you let others work in if practical? Personally no issue if that happens.

Absolutely. I even ask if they want to if I see they are waiting.
  • selena_teresa
    selena_teresa Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    AquabearGO wrote: »
    My turn to judge::::: This has officially turned into the stupidest thread on MFP today. Im out.........feel free to flag this.

LOL this WAS flagged! I didn't do it, I am just catching up on this thread but I read this post and looked down and laughed.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Wow I really dont' even know how to respond to this.

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training.

Come on now, you know that if your laces untie you actually have to go home. Training is over. Dems the rules.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with needing to use the bathroom and then acting accordingly. But to expect the machine to be waiting for you is a bit uncool because if it is not occupied, it should be available to anyone who can and wants to use it.
  • selena_teresa
    selena_teresa Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

YOURE MAKING ME HUNGRYYYY
    Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Gross. Who eats crap like that if they are at or going to the gym. Ew.

I do. Because I can.
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

YOURE MAKING ME HUNGRYYYY
    Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Gross. Who eats crap like that if they are at or going to the gym. Ew.

People who have figured out exactly how they can fit a Double Down into their day? Or cardio bunnies willing to sweat 600 calories out?

That stuff is gross and I don't think it's even real food. I don't see how those fatty maybe not even foods could help you do a double down or sweat out 600 calories? Not to mention, have you see what it does almost immediately to your blood, so gross.

What does it do to our blood? And I've never had a double down

Hight fat food straight to your bloodstream
    Sorry but that is no way a reputable source.

Got any that isn't a blog?

Also, that video doesn't even support your argument. Sorry.

...There is a second video, which was the one I was looking for, which the doctor talks about this yellowy liquid coming from his veins before getting his blood. Turned out he had just eaten a high fat lunch at the local fast food place.....

Sorry, but this is the most idiotic post in this thread. Not even close.

The only thing in your veins is blood. It is pretty much evenly mixed throughout your body. There is no chance that when drawing blood you would get a "yellowy liquid" from your vein. Zero chance. You will get blood. It isn't like looking at the dipstick in a car where you can stick a needle in your vein and pull it out to see how far up on the needle the "yellowy liquid" goes.

http://bmedia.fooducate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Buttery-Blood.jpg

Tell me, are you a phlebotomist?

Oh, and PS, blood is not all that is in your veins, there is plac and arteries clogged by garbage diets.

so you are saying that one 600 calorie meal from KFC is a "garbage diet"....or are you making a general statement based on assumptions that no one knows?

Nope, I'm saying high fat fast foods are garbage, but most people who eat those things don't just stop there, they eat like that at home as well. So, garbage diets. Yes, I know there are exceptions to everything, but those foods are still high in fat and grease and can do a number on your digestive tract. If you're low on energy, grab some fruit, want a meal, have a huge salad.

so the answer is that you are making assumptions based on what you think people are consuming.

thanks for clarifying that.

I love how you assume to know what the overall diet of every fast food eater is. That is a neat trick, and you will have to teach me how to do it someday.

Nope, wrong yet again. There are key words that you seem to love to ignore, words like MOST, and the line where I said there were exceptions to this. So, you can keep trying to put words in my mouth, but if you look at the screen you would see these things, it seems like you have ADD.

yea, it is pretty clear that you made a bunch of assumptions about people who eat fast food and then tired to extrapolate that to this thread where someone ate one meal from KFC. Unless, you have intimate knowledge of the diet of the instructor that the person is referring to...??

and just because you used the qualifier "most" does not negate that you are making assumptions...

I'm not making a bunch of assumptions about people who eat fast food! I was passing judgement on the FOOD ITSELF, I don't care what people eat, all I did was say that the food that was listed is gross to me. The rest of the conversation is mostly people being jerks just to be, trolling me, and/or bullying me. I answer your questions to the best of my ability, try to provide resources, and yet y'all say I'm wrong and say I'm doing all these things, etc. Get off it, I'm words on a screen, and you can put intent, malice, and whatever you want in there, but it doesn't make it true.

I am just going to put what you said here..

"Nope, I'm saying high fat fast foods are garbage, but most people who eat those things don't just stop there, they eat like that at home as well. So, garbage diets..."

that is a pretty broad assumption that you made, which is basically that people who eat a high fat, fast food diet are "garbage dieters"...

For those interested in the full text of what I said. "Nope, I'm saying high fat fast foods are garbage, but most people who eat those things don't just stop there, they eat like that at home as well. So, garbage diets. Yes, I know there are exceptions to everything, but those foods are still high in fat and grease and can do a number on your digestive tract. If you're low on energy, grab some fruit, want a meal, have a huge salad."

It's not an assumption, it's a statistic, look it up and see where a high fat diet through fast food consumption will lead you, even if you only eat there once a week.

just so you know..

... after a quote implies that there is more after the dots...So by doing that I was indicating that there was additional info afterwards. If I would of just put a singular period then that would of inferred it was the end of the quote.

I just took the relevant sentence where you referred back to high fat fast food folks as "garbage dieters"

I know what it means when ... begins or follows a quote, however, I wanted to make sure anyone reading knew what I had actually said, and that I DID NOT make assumptions and if you eat fast food you are eating garbage. I THINK fast food is gross, and that was all I was trying to say, but now people are putting words in my mouth, doing only partial quotes to make me look like I'm coming down on people who eat fast food. AS I said previously, I don't care what people eat, I think fast food is disgusting and gross and garbage and bad for your health even in small quantities.

didn't you just do what you said you did not do??????????????????????

No I didn't, once more I'm talking about the food and not the people consuming it. AGAIN this is just my opinion in regards to it being gross, disgusting, garbage, that is not healthy and bad for your body. I won't be eating it and that is why. How I feel about something applies to me and me alone, I don't care if you weigh 60 lbs and eat 20 chicken nuggets everyday, or your 400 lbs eating a whopper, I DON'T CARE. However, my opinion is that it's garbage, so my opinion is you're eating garbage if you are eating fast food, that's nothing against the person.

but in your opinion that person is eating garbage and their diet would be garbage, yes?

so you have just passed a value judgment on millions of people who eat fast food occasionally....

Fine, whatever, yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Every living breathing person on the hideous plant have garbage diet, that's all they eat all day every day, garbage garbage garbage. Luckily there is always enough to go around in this consumer driven country, just look at the walk ways and the roads, just littered with garbage and garbage and garbage.

giphy.gif

HUGE LOL at this one...and it's flagged. This thread is making my day.