Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    So I know it has been mentioned in other threads but are the mods going ot do anything about flagging posts that aren't violations of the CG?
    While I am proud to have earned my first flag, I am confused as to how it could (and many other of these posts) could be a violation. I understand the person who likely flagged it is wanting the forums to be moderated according to her views and is complaining about bullying but my response to her was the very first time I have ever responded to her and was in no way a violation of the CG (all hail).

burn...you got flagged again ;) Show me where the bullying/abuse is?

Maybe you should be able to see who flags you, it might stop some?
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Wow I really dont' even know how to respond to this.

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training.

Come on now, you know that if your laces untie you actually have to go home. Training is over. Dems the rules.

What is amazing to me is this would never even cross my mind. I have been in the gyms "before woman were allowed in the gyms' and if you leave the equipment...you leave the equipment. THATS IT.

I am stunned that people think this way...omg, If you leave your equipment....you leave the equipment.

This is adult life...there are no "savesies"

What? There's no courtesy in your adult world?

So, in your model, I can't leave my pool chair with my towel on it at the swim club because there are no "savesies".

You leave the equipment temporarily. It's not the only piece of said equipment.

Do you go to a gym where they only have one piece of each kind of equipment, because I can maybe understand where you're coming from then. Sorta.

actually the weight machines yes, and squat rack, rope pull, cable machine, etc etc. Mainly just cardio that there are multiple of and benches, weights
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

YOURE MAKING ME HUNGRYYYY
    Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Gross. Who eats crap like that if they are at or going to the gym. Ew.

I do. Because I can.
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

YOURE MAKING ME HUNGRYYYY
    Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Gross. Who eats crap like that if they are at or going to the gym. Ew.

People who have figured out exactly how they can fit a Double Down into their day? Or cardio bunnies willing to sweat 600 calories out?

That stuff is gross and I don't think it's even real food. I don't see how those fatty maybe not even foods could help you do a double down or sweat out 600 calories? Not to mention, have you see what it does almost immediately to your blood, so gross.

What does it do to our blood? And I've never had a double down

Hight fat food straight to your bloodstream
    Sorry but that is no way a reputable source.

Got any that isn't a blog?

Also, that video doesn't even support your argument. Sorry.

...There is a second video, which was the one I was looking for, which the doctor talks about this yellowy liquid coming from his veins before getting his blood. Turned out he had just eaten a high fat lunch at the local fast food place.....

Sorry, but this is the most idiotic post in this thread. Not even close.

The only thing in your veins is blood. It is pretty much evenly mixed throughout your body. There is no chance that when drawing blood you would get a "yellowy liquid" from your vein. Zero chance. You will get blood. It isn't like looking at the dipstick in a car where you can stick a needle in your vein and pull it out to see how far up on the needle the "yellowy liquid" goes.

http://bmedia.fooducate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Buttery-Blood.jpg

Tell me, are you a phlebotomist?

Oh, and PS, blood is not all that is in your veins, there is plac and arteries clogged by garbage diets.

so you are saying that one 600 calorie meal from KFC is a "garbage diet"....or are you making a general statement based on assumptions that no one knows?

Nope, I'm saying high fat fast foods are garbage, but most people who eat those things don't just stop there, they eat like that at home as well. So, garbage diets. Yes, I know there are exceptions to everything, but those foods are still high in fat and grease and can do a number on your digestive tract. If you're low on energy, grab some fruit, want a meal, have a huge salad.

so the answer is that you are making assumptions based on what you think people are consuming.

thanks for clarifying that.

I love how you assume to know what the overall diet of every fast food eater is. That is a neat trick, and you will have to teach me how to do it someday.

So... the first person is assuming that the people eat "garbage" all the time and you're assuming that they eat in "moderation" all the time. Both of you could be equally wrong.

/thread

Wait... that has nothing to do with this thread...
  • lct925
    lct925 Posts: 2
    Options
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    I'm curious, what would you do if you didn't have a lock on your locker, and you saw someone take your stuff out, put their stuff in, and lock it?
    Lockers always have those vents in them, so someone whose stuff was thrown all over the floor might decide to put an unpleasant liquid through those vents because there's a very good chance they happen to remember which locker their stuff had been in.

What exactly would be the delivery system for said unpleasant liquid??? :o

LOL.

Someone could take a plastic pop bottle and squeeze it out into the locker. Who knows. I've seen people in these threads say they've done some pretty horrible things to other peoples' stuff, so it wouldn't surprise me for that to happen if two of these people collided.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    People who think if you're not a dancer you don't belong in the ballet class and go out of the way to get in your face to tell you to get out of their way. :#
  • lct925
    lct925 Posts: 2
    Options
    You should focus on yourself the gym consist of people all ages and stages of their fitness routine I applaud any effort towards fitness
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    To people who are relatively new to the gym environments...its really a very emotionally safe place to be. Even this petty garbage that goes on on this site does NOT go on in the gyms. Yeah there maybe a few inconsiderate people but for those most part I have never seen any one bullied or judged or made to feel less than...in a gym. I have really never seen a gym management team let their gym be hostile or uncomfortable to new members...A gym is a place of healing, its a sanctuary so don;t ever feel funny going into a gym. I have been in and out of gyms for my entire adult life....they are great places to be...even the ones with the concrete floors. Muscle heads are basically extinct and working out is main stream...see a gym go in you'll never regret it. Have a problem.tell management and they will clean that problem up in no time at all.

This has to be a troll account, after all. Right? Right??? I mean, nobody can be this completely and utterly hypocritical and/or clueless?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A gym is a business and the owners/managers want their business to thrive. Most gyms have a system for giving them suggestions and complaints...generally you can get the paperwork at the front desk and even online. You don't have to leave your name if you do not want to. This action alerts the management team about what to work on. If the problem is widespread they will create a policy or procedure to correct if - if the problem is a member that keeps throwing people off equipment that they started to use because it was empty but the member was actually away from the equipment (for whatever reason) ...they will take care of that too. You can't 'save" gym equipment - you are either using it or you are not. There are some gyms that have a sign up system for equipment and those systems are enforced. Regardless feedback your gym to create an environment, policies and procedures that are good for everyone not just a few. I have never used the complaint systems...I just go straight to the GM...best person to know in our gyms is the GM so they get the information on how to manage the gym directly so the gym is not "staff" managed.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    All I'm seeing is someone going around flagging valid comments. Whoever is doing it probably doesn't know your username get's sent to the moderators along with the post that you have flagged..

If the moderators think it was a waste of their time they come back at you. In short it backfires.

Don't do it for the sake of your id. You still have time to un-flag the comments.

The only reason the mods complain about it is because people whine about the flags. As far as I know, they get no automatic notification until there are actually five flags on one post and then they have to review and take action. If there was no actual violation after five flags, then it's a waste of their time. It's been repeatedly explained that the flags don't do anything to people's accounts if you haven't violated the rules but that hasn't curbed the incessant whining. At all.

No, the mods handle abuse of the flag system because they are just that - abuse. Having something kicked over to the spam or abuse queues due to flags which is not spam or abuse (i.e. someone saying something that another person doesn't like or agree with) is extra work, but that doesn't happen very often.

The abuse we are concerned about are people who flag comments in a thread for no reason, or people who use the flags as a way to passive-aggressively attack other users or attempt to get them in trouble. As Adam has mentioned, there is a system in place for handling users who abuse the system.

If anyone has further questions about the flag system, I'm happy answer them via PM.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    A gym is a business and the owners/managers want their business to thrive. Most gyms have a system for giving them suggestions and complaints...generally you can get the paperwork at the front desk and even online. You don't have to leave your name if you do not want to. This action alerts the management team about what to work on. If the problem is widespread they will create a policy or procedure to correct if - if the problem is a member that keeps throwing people off equipment that they started to use because it was empty but the member was actually away from the equipment (for whatever reason) ...they will take care of that too. You can't 'save" gym equipment - you are either using it or you are not. There are some gyms that have a sign up system for equipment and those systems are enforced. Regardless feedback your gym to create an environment, policies and procedures that are good for everyone not just a few. I have never used the complaint systems...I just go straight to the GM...best person to know in our gyms is the GM so they get the information on how to manage the gym directly so the gym is not "staff" managed.

I think it depends on your gym and the culture. At my gym, there is no issue with someone walking away from a piece of equipment for a few minutes if they need to use the restroom or get a drink of water. People will often do that during their rest periods, and since everyone else in the area is also lifting, they understand that when someone sets up in an area, they are going to be there for a bit. Same thing with cardio equipment - if you need to use the restroom or get a drink, or need to find assistance for the controls/video system, you just leave your stuff and do what you need to do.

You may be sharing what has been your experience in gyms you've patronized, but your experience is not universal based on what I have seen.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    SyzygyX wrote: »
    People.

And mornings
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

I must say, I don’t really think about it much. I myself do not “hold” the treadmill – but I do “balance” myself at times. I have arthritis, back & heart issues….and take medication for all. I usually assume the other person has their own reasons.

When I started using the treadmill over 1 year ago, I could barely walk 5 minutes & I can assure you I DID “hold-on” at that stage. Now that I have lost close to 200 pounds it is a different story.

In all honesty, I rarely think about what someone else is doing. I have my headphones on – I am listening to Bruno, Pitbull, Sinatra, JT – whatever – and get lost in the music and occasionally will look around at what is on one of a dozen TV’s.

The only thing that bothers me is when rude, self-absorbed people don’t wipe down equipment after usage or think the treadmill next to the one that are using is a place to hang their sweatshirt.

Wish you the best on your weight-loss efforts.

73641431.png

Holy crap you're amazing! 200lbs! What an accomplishment!

Yes this person is amazing! WIN!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    B)
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.

You are absolutely right. no one gets up at 5 am...to kill time in the gym, the morning crews are working their butts off. I love early morning work outs.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Just my observation.

Sorry but that's just an assumption and there are plenty of people that are in great shape that train in the evening.

It's good to see Leo again, but we may need to flag that photo. Little dude is looking pretty come-hither in this one. Cheeky pup.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Just my observation.

hmmm most people at my gym I see in the am are obese beginners...I guess that means that all early am people are obese beginners....< see what I did there...
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    cskone38 wrote: »
    Pet peeve: 10 minutes of stretching for 2 minutes of treadmill

Some people have physical limitations and they need the long stretch prior to a workout and that 2 minutes is as long as their body let them go for.

I have some wonky leg pain going on and I've been lucky that I'm still able to run. But I tend to foam roll and stretch for about 20min before my group runs which are about 30min. And then I go home and I stretch & roll for at least another 20 min.

I don't have physical limitations, but I know what you mean. I stretch on the treadmill before and after these five and six mile runs, and nobody has ever given me the evil eye for it before.

There's this one guy that does this very involved stretching routine. He's really flexible and everything... he has his feet up all over the treadmill. And he never wipes it down. Double squick factor.

?

I see you and raise you.