PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Wow I really dont' even know how to respond to this.

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training.

Come on now, you know that if your laces untie you actually have to go home. Training is over. Dems the rules.

What is amazing to me is this would never even cross my mind. I have been in the gyms "before woman were allowed in the gyms' and if you leave the equipment...you leave the equipment. THATS IT.

I am stunned that people think this way...omg, If you leave your equipment....you leave the equipment.

This is adult life...there are no "savesies"

What? There's no courtesy in your adult world?

So, in your model, I can't leave my pool chair with my towel on it at the swim club because there are no "savesies".

You leave the equipment temporarily. It's not the only piece of said equipment.

Do you go to a gym where they only have one piece of each kind of equipment, because I can maybe understand where you're coming from then. Sorta.

100k square feet work out area, four pools. rocks walls. 2 full size basketball courts and manners

I don't know about that last one...

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I guess this thread is ....

Please finish :flowerforyou:
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    I'm a lawyer. This thread reminds me of the time a client wanted to sue a furniture store because the delivery man called his wife "babe".
    Or that time some lady called 911 on carl's junior because they gave her a regular burger when she ordered a western.

edit: sorry it was BK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zqj5ilXtWU

"And a small -- SMALL seasoned curlies."
    -tenacious d
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    I'm a lawyer. This thread reminds me of the time a client wanted to sue a furniture store because the delivery man called his wife "babe".
    Or that time some lady called 911 on carl's junior because they gave her a regular burger when she ordered a western.

edit: sorry it was BK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zqj5ilXtWU

"And a small -- SMALL seasoned curlies."
    -tenacious d

come on with the order.... take FOREVER

• PeachyCarol
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yea well, no one get to be more dumb than this guy.

Man calls 911 to report wife stole his Cocaine - Robert Collins:

Clicking through to listen to the actual phone call was doubly hilarious. Especially the end.

• cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hardly notice anyone at the gym. I'm there to workout. My workout is pretty pathetic but at least I'm there. I know people judge me but I try to pretend they don't...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    All I'm seeing is someone going around flagging valid comments. Whoever is doing it probably doesn't know your username get's sent to the moderators along with the post that you have flagged..

If the moderators think it was a waste of their time they come back at you. In short it backfires.

Don't do it for the sake of your id. You still have time to un-flag the comments.
    It is going to backfire. And hopefully anyone who has a couple warnings on them isn't the one flagging because I think that won't end well at all.

What people need to point out the frivolous flagging.
    All I'm seeing is someone going around flagging valid comments. Whoever is doing it probably doesn't know your username get's sent to the moderators along with the post that you have flagged..

If the moderators think it was a waste of their time they come back at you. In short it backfires.

Don't do it for the sake of your id. You still have time to un-flag the comments.

Yup..I've noticed people have been flagging my comments too.

I think they are upset at the comment and are flagging the comment per say as though to suggest they aren't agreeing.

But that's not what the flag system is meant for. I have a feeling they aren't aware what goes on behind the scenes.

Then say something to someone and maybe it will stop.

Wait what?

Are you asking me why I mentioned about flagging?

I'm not following why you quoted me.

What I was saying was that if you're noticing all the frivolous flagging going on then point it out to a moderator. We have people that give out good advice been flagged for no reason. Members need to be shown that they can't flag without actual abuse taking place.

You are completely right about flags being abused but it's important that people also know that having 'flags' against you has zero consequences to yourself unless a moderator reviews it and considers it to be abuse or a violation of community guidelines.

The only thing that we pay attention to with regards to member history are 'warnings', 'abuse reports' and notes between moderators (if we've messaged you, had to take any other action other than warnings).

Unnecessary flagging does take up valuable time that we could otherwise be spending looking through reports of guideline violations and addressing other important issues so it is severely frowned upon for hopefully obvious reasons.

Just to confirm though, having flags 'against' you will have absolutely no consequences to the person flagged, we simply review the reports and dismiss any that don't fall under the category they have been flagged for. Although you keep the number of flags made against you, the 'abuse' flags are at no point held against you and shouldn't be worried about!

Have an awesome day/evening/night!

Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator

So, that email I sent you guys more than a week ago, did you guys get that? Were you even going to respond, or should I just call my doctors for medical documentation go from there.

Okay, I'm intrigued. What were you asking them to do that medical documentation would have any bearing at all? (The only possible thing I can think of would be to change the <1200 warning, but that's just a guess.)

Not really relevant to the topic. I have a health issue that was triggered by some member after I asked them repeatedly to leave me alone, and the staff put it mostly on me. Since the incident occurred, that particular health issue has gotten worse and worse and it's interfering with my daily life. So, since it was a health issue triggered by bullying, I want something done about it one way, or another.

Oh.

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

I'm pretty sure I never actually said that.

I mean, I thought I did at one time, but on further reflection (and inspection), I clearly did not.

=\
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    cmoll520 wrote: »
    I hardly notice anyone at the gym. I there to workout. My workout is pretty pathetic but at least I'm there. I know people judge me but I try to pretend they don't...

I hate to think we are being judged at the gym. I never thought about it before...but I ignore most everything unless I have to pay attention for some reason..I helped to save a drowned child...glad I was standing there so I could help. 3 years old...and we almost lost her.

• jofjltncb6
    Options
    jen19855 wrote: »
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

This is why I worry so much about using the gym, feeling people are watching and judging me

They're too busy worrying about their own workout to...

...ah, forget it. I can't even pretend anymore.

Yes, there's a chance someone will notice you doing something at the gym...even if you're doing everything right. That's just how people are. But the gym is a great place to accomplish things, so go anyhow. And if anyone annoys you to the point you're bothered by it, say something to the staff. That's part of their jobs.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    erikgoya wrote: »
    Pet peeves... Long list coming at you.

Watching people not squat to parallel.

A group of people dead lifting with terrible form (I've seen 3 people all lift with backs like a camel)

People who put on a belt to lift just the bar.

The inevitable group of guys that gather around one incline bench hogging about half a dozen pairs of dumbbells (my gym only has like 2 sets of 20# and 30# for some reason).

People to proud to ask someone to spot them when they clearly need a spotter.

People who try power lifting with metal plates instead of rubber.

Hexagonal plates.

The lack of girls who lift.

Dudebros drinking energy drinks while lifting.

***holes who try taking your bench when you set your stuff down on it, and walk away to get a paper towel to wipe it down.

People who leave their trash lying around (McDonalds cups, really?!)

People lifting with jeans on (how is that comfortable at all?)

The fact that my gym only has 2 squat racks and a power rack.

Personal trainers that hassle you to get a trainer.

And finally:

Curling in the squat rack.

Why hexagonal plates? I like them on my deadlift, cuz then my bar doesn't roll away crooked...

Ironically, because I HATE using them for dead lifts. I find that they actually make my bar crooked rather than straight.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    cskone38 wrote: »
    Pet peeve: 10 minutes of stretching for 2 minutes of treadmill

Some people have physical limitations and they need the long stretch prior to a workout and that 2 minutes is as long as their body let them go for.

I have some wonky leg pain going on and I've been lucky that I'm still able to run. But I tend to foam roll and stretch for about 20min before my group runs which are about 30min. And then I go home and I stretch & roll for at least another 20 min.

I don't have physical limitations, but I know what you mean. I stretch on the treadmill before and after these five and six mile runs, and nobody has ever given me the evil eye for it before.

There's this one guy that does this very involved stretching routine. He's really flexible and everything... he has his feet up all over the treadmill. And he never wipes it down. Double squick factor.

?
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

Some people have physical limitations and they need the long stretch prior to a workout and that 2 minutes is as long as their body let them go for.

I have some wonky leg pain going on and I've been lucky that I'm still able to run. But I tend to foam roll and stretch for about 20min before my group runs which are about 30min. And then I go home and I stretch & roll for at least another 20 min.

I don't have physical limitations, but I know what you mean. I stretch on the treadmill before and after these five and six mile runs, and nobody has ever given me the evil eye for it before.

There's this one guy that does this very involved stretching routine. He's really flexible and everything... he has his feet up all over the treadmill. And he never wipes it down. Double squick factor.

?

I would also like video evidence of this.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I'm noticing a wave of cross-fit like people doing box step-ups, shoulder circles, burpees, windmill kicks in the middle of the weight room. Pretty much everything they are doing can be done at home, or in a park, or in a parking lot...

Why pay for the gym, just to take up space and flail wildly (it's ridiculously distracting) in an area where people are lifting weights? I honestly don't pay attention to what other people are doing, the people I am talking about may as well be wearing a neon sandwich board that says "LOOK At MEEEEEE"

That's all that is bothering me at the moment. I have a feeling they will be gone with the rest of the new year's rush.

Some people live in apartments on upper floors. And they are paying for the space, regardless if it's just the space or the equipment.

I don't understand why people who don't workout the way I do don't workout the way I do.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have to say, doing Taekwondo has cured me of my worry that people will watch and judge me. I look like a total idiot doing a lot of the moves, I'm ungainly and get the stupidest looks on my head. But what it's done for me in fitness and confidence makes all of that completely irrelevant. Now I'm kinda proud when I see a grading photo where I look like a goob mid-jump, means I'm putting in enough effort to not care how I look.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

?

I'd clean the treadmill for him.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training.

Come on now, you know that if your laces untie you actually have to go home. Training is over. Dems the rules.

What is amazing to me is this would never even cross my mind. I have been in the gyms "before woman were allowed in the gyms' and if you leave the equipment...you leave the equipment. THATS IT.

I am stunned that people think this way...omg, If you leave your equipment....you leave the equipment.

Yes there are.

My squat, bench and deadlift sessions last a damn site longer than 10 minutes. If I need to pee, I need to pee. Its that simple. Me going to the restroom takes no longer than my rest times between sets. If I have my towel over a barbell, I expect it to be there when I get back. If someone wants to work in, they are free to ask.

It's common courtesy to make sure someone is finished with their session. A towel over the bar indicates that they have not. I am stunned that you do not realize this.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Yes there are.

My squat, bench and deadlift sessions last a damn site longer than 10 minutes. If I need to pee, I need to pee. Its that simple. Me going to the restroom takes no longer than my rest times between sets. If I have my towel over a barbell, I expect it to be there when I get back. If someone wants to work in, they are free to ask.

It's common courtesy to make sure someone is finished with their session. A towel over the bar indicates that they have not. I am stunned that you do not realize this.

I also check around with people if there are weights on the bar or dumb bells near the bench to make sure someone hasn't just run to the washroom or something.
    Usually I'm looking ahead to the next piece of equipment i need so I have an idea if they've gone and left the weights laying around or if they might be back but I always check.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    So I just came back from the gym, and I have to agree with other posters. I found out it REALLY bothers me when I'm at the squat rack and people are right behind me.

The lane down the free weight area is large enough so that you don't have to be all up in my space when walking around. URGH.