Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I have 0 experience using free weights, I am bound to have someone judge me tonight. I hope I read about it in this thread, I'll be wearing the Justice League dri-fit long sleeve at the gym, find me!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

-Reply Removed-

Here's one way: Don't let a random person on the internet get to you. There are many ways to stop it. Ignore them, block them, ignore them...

fight%20me%20over%20the%20internet.jpg
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    I'm noticing a wave of cross-fit like people doing box step-ups, shoulder circles, burpees, windmill kicks in the middle of the weight room. Pretty much everything they are doing can be done at home, or in a park, or in a parking lot...

Why pay for the gym, just to take up space and flail wildly (it's ridiculously distracting) in an area where people are lifting weights? I honestly don't pay attention to what other people are doing, the people I am talking about may as well be wearing a neon sandwich board that says "LOOK At MEEEEEE"

That's all that is bothering me at the moment. I have a feeling they will be gone with the rest of the new year's rush.

Yes. Unfortunately, that's a thing. Crossfit is very expensive. So, they just do workouts at a cheaper gym.

But, by your logic then, people running on treadmills are idiots because, you know, they could just run outside for free.

nope, because treadmills are for running, or jogging, or walking. weight rooms are for lifting weights. I don't know where specifically flailing your arms wildly should be done? Probably not right next to someone benching, someone who is thinking "this guy is going to smack into my barbell and hurt me."
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Wow I really dont' even know how to respond to this.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I laugh to myself a bit every time I see a comment about wiping down equipment. I obviously do it, but it makes me think of days past in a gym. I've been going to a school gym or public gym for 40+ years. Most of the places I went to early on didn't have air conditioning other than a large cattle fan to move the hot air around on a 90+ degree day. Wiping up equipment was not done. Amazingly never heard of anyone getting sick from anything in their gym.

I've heard of a number of people geting MRSA, but I would imagine it's more of a problem since people have started wiping down equipment. It's prevalent due to over use of sanitizes and antibiotics. Although I still do wipe down the equipment (don't want evil glares at the gym).

I laugh at this every time I see someone use antibacterial soap/wipe. All you're doing is killing off the competitive bacteria that keep the dangerous pathogenic strains at bay.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

At my gym, I would be surprised if someone took someone else's equipment if they went to the restroom. If you leave your stuff on the treadmill and go to the restroom, it's natural to expect that someone is not going to take it in those few minutes.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I wipe the machines before i use them and after I use them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing a wave of cross-fit like people doing box step-ups, shoulder circles, burpees, windmill kicks in the middle of the weight room. Pretty much everything they are doing can be done at home, or in a park, or in a parking lot...

Why pay for the gym, just to take up space and flail wildly (it's ridiculously distracting) in an area where people are lifting weights? I honestly don't pay attention to what other people are doing, the people I am talking about may as well be wearing a neon sandwich board that says "LOOK At MEEEEEE"

That's all that is bothering me at the moment. I have a feeling they will be gone with the rest of the new year's rush.

Yes. Unfortunately, that's a thing. Crossfit is very expensive. So, they just do workouts at a cheaper gym.

But, by your logic then, people running on treadmills are idiots because, you know, they could just run outside for free.

nope, because treadmills are for running, or jogging, or walking. weight rooms are for lifting weights. I don't know where specifically flailing your arms wildly should be done? Probably not right next to someone benching, someone who is thinking "this guy is going to smack into my barbell and hurt me."

I've never seen arm flailing. So, I don't know about that. I was referring more to the people that actually crossfit. They do power squat lift things, then jump on something, then do jump rope, then run over somewhere and do pull ups, then do the cycle again and again and again.

The only thing that bugs me about that is that they really aren't using the squat rack, and I'm standing there waiting for one while they're pulling up and jumping rope. I get absolutely infuriated over it.

I'm also wondering if it is actual Crossfit stuff or them just supersetting or doing circuits that include bodyweight movements.

And what's wrong with step ups? When did those become ridiculous? And I'll do some shoulder circles when I'm trying to loosen up a bit.
  • levitateme
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

I've never seen arm flailing. So, I don't know about that. I was referring more to the people that actually crossfit. They do power squat lift things, then jump on something, then do jump rope, then run over somewhere and do pull ups, then do the cycle again and again and again.

The only thing that bugs me about that is that they really aren't using the squat rack, and I'm standing there waiting for one while they're pulling up and jumping rope. I get absolutely infuriated over it.

I'm also wondering if it is actual Crossfit stuff or them just supersetting or doing circuits that include bodyweight movements.

And what's wrong with step ups? When did those become ridiculous? And I'll do some shoulder circles when I'm trying to loosen up a bit.

right, warming up is great, it's awesome. But they aren't warming up for anything? I am there for usually 1 hour plus and I see lots of warm ups, no actual lifting happens. This is very new, fresh faces. I've been going to this gym for like 2 years and I've never seen anything like it before. I'm guessing it'll drop off.

nothing wrong with step ups. but do they have to be done on the bench, where I put my body? Especially when there are actual steps, meant to be stepped on over by the mirrored "free-floor" area or whatever? I don't say anything to anyone, I just quietly laugh to myself and keep it moving. It's just silly as hell and distracting.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

So true. So very true.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training. People that don't really lift telling others how to lift lol.

I don't even lift in any meaningful way yet without my trainer there, but I'm just not... rude. It's really not even about lifting, it's about courtesy and not expecting the world to revolve around your needs and understand that other people's time is valuable too.

The idea that you should just walk right up to a piece of equipment and have it be available because you're ready for it and if someone else isn't using it exactly how you think it should be used to smacks of entitlement to me.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

If I walk up to a treadmill (First of all it's probably 100% iced over outside or I wouldn't be inside) and the treadmill is empty then it's mine. Leave a towel there or a "Be Right Back" sign. If you know you have runner's trots or something like that then bring a sign. I'm not rude. I just don't know you're using that treadmill.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

There's a group of people who cross fit together at my gym and I don't really mind them, except that they take up 3 power racks and both lifting platforms for 2+ hours, so I'm trying to deadlift in a narrow space between two benches or something. It's not an official class, but they just take over an entire weight room.

And One lady always throws her barbell when she finishes an OHP set. Not, like, drops it because the last rep was so tough, but legit chucks with all her might from over her head to the ground so it lands 6 foot away from her. And she lifts in the doorway between the two weight rooms. I just know she's going to hurt someone someday.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

If I walk up to a treadmill (First of all it's probably 100% iced over outside or I wouldn't be inside) and the treadmill is empty then it's mine. Leave a towel there or a "Be Right Back" sign. If you know you have runner's trots or something like that then bring a sign. I'm not rude. I just don't know you're using that treadmill.

Well, yes, if it's completely empty, you have no way of knowing it's in use, especially if the readout isn't paused anymore. Would you reset an in-progress readout? I wouldn't.

Then again, I leave my water and my towel if I need a bathroom break.

• levitateme
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    All I'm seeing is someone going around flagging valid comments. Whoever is doing it probably doesn't know your username get's sent to the moderators along with the post that you have flagged..

If the moderators think it was a waste of their time they come back at you. In short it backfires.

Don't do it for the sake of your id. You still have time to un-flag the comments.
    It is going to backfire. And hopefully anyone who has a couple warnings on them isn't the one flagging because I think that won't end well at all.

What people need to point out the frivolous flagging.
    All I'm seeing is someone going around flagging valid comments. Whoever is doing it probably doesn't know your username get's sent to the moderators along with the post that you have flagged..

If the moderators think it was a waste of their time they come back at you. In short it backfires.

Don't do it for the sake of your id. You still have time to un-flag the comments.

Yup..I've noticed people have been flagging my comments too.

I think they are upset at the comment and are flagging the comment per say as though to suggest they aren't agreeing.

But that's not what the flag system is meant for. I have a feeling they aren't aware what goes on behind the scenes.

Then say something to someone and maybe it will stop.

Wait what?

Are you asking me why I mentioned about flagging?

I'm not following why you quoted me.

What I was saying was that if you're noticing all the frivolous flagging going on then point it out to a moderator. We have people that give out good advice been flagged for no reason. Members need to be shown that they can't flag without actual abuse taking place.

You are completely right about flags being abused but it's important that people also know that having 'flags' against you has zero consequences to yourself unless a moderator reviews it and considers it to be abuse or a violation of community guidelines.

The only thing that we pay attention to with regards to member history are 'warnings', 'abuse reports' and notes between moderators (if we've messaged you, had to take any other action other than warnings).

Unnecessary flagging does take up valuable time that we could otherwise be spending looking through reports of guideline violations and addressing other important issues so it is severely frowned upon for hopefully obvious reasons.

Just to confirm though, having flags 'against' you will have absolutely no consequences to the person flagged, we simply review the reports and dismiss any that don't fall under the category they have been flagged for. Although you keep the number of flags made against you, the 'abuse' flags are at no point held against you and shouldn't be worried about!

Have an awesome day/evening/night!

Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator

So, that email I sent you guys more than a week ago, did you guys get that? Were you even going to respond, or should I just call my doctors for medical documentation go from there.

Okay, I'm intrigued. What were you asking them to do that medical documentation would have any bearing at all? (The only possible thing I can think of would be to change the <1200 warning, but that's just a guess.)

Not really relevant to the topic. I have a health issue that was triggered by some member after I asked them repeatedly to leave me alone, and the staff put it mostly on me. Since the incident occurred, that particular health issue has gotten worse and worse and it's interfering with my daily life. So, since it was a health issue triggered by bullying, I want something done about it one way, or another.

That's not how the internet works. If random people on it affect your health, you need to leave instead of expecting them to perform within parameters meeting your expectations. In fact, that sort of applies to life in general and all interactions with other people.

Ah, but that is how this forum works, or am I mistaken on all the little rules and details?

It's called a trigger. Do you know what that is? Well, let me tell you, a trigger is usually referred to a memory, an incident, etc that brings back old feelings and cause issues with mental health problems. I DON'T need to be the one leaving, when people are asked repeatedly to stop, to leave someone alone, to have those people badger you, and bully you, until you've had enough, people need to listen to what they are being told. If you are told multiple times to leave someone alone, if you keep at them, YOU ARE BEING A BULLY.

My issues are things that I have to deal with, and I don't have to explain what they are or how they work to anyone. If we were in a group of people off line, and someone asked you to stop something, would you keep doing it?

Well. It seems many people have suggested to you, repeatedly, that you need to step away from the internet. And yet here you are. I'm confused. Why aren't you listening to what you're being told?

She'd rather derail multiple threads and flag everyone for very civilly suggesting that she take a break from the forums if it causes her so much mental strain. Makes a lot of sense.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Sup? I heard things were calm and rational in here

0WHGKhB.gif