Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Wow I really dont' even know how to respond to this.

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training.

Come on now, you know that if your laces untie you actually have to go home. Training is over. Dems the rules.

What is amazing to me is this would never even cross my mind. I have been in the gyms "before woman were allowed in the gyms' and if you leave the equipment...you leave the equipment. THATS IT.

I am stunned that people think this way...omg, If you leave your equipment....you leave the equipment.

This is adult life...there are no "savesies"

Yes there are.

My squat, bench and deadlift sessions last a damn site longer than 10 minutes. If I need to pee, I need to pee. Its that simple. Me going to the restroom takes no longer than my rest times between sets. If I have my towel over a barbell, I expect it to be there when I get back. If someone wants to work in, they are free to ask.

It's common courtesy to make sure someone is finished with their session. A towel over the bar indicates that they have not. I am stunned that you do not realize this.

I also check around with people if there are weights on the bar or dumb bells near the bench to make sure someone hasn't just run to the washroom or something.
    Usually I'm looking ahead to the next piece of equipment i need so I have an idea if they've gone and left the weights laying around or if they might be back but I always check.

If I were that concerned with everyone else I would never get my work out done...in the gym's there are always those "bounce around type" people...they are ignored. There is order in the gym and even if some people don't know what it is...its still the norm. Leave a machine and its empty and anyone can use it,,.and any gym management would enforce that.

First sentence: You're not concerned with everyone else.

Rest of the paragraph: An interpretation of the rest of the world slanted so that it runs so that it's concerning you.

Weird.

It's really that hard for you to move onto what you'd planned to do next and come back to something?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    To people who are relatively new to the gym environments...its really a very emotionally safe place to be. Even this petty garbage that goes on on this site does NOT go on in the gyms. Yeah there maybe a few inconsiderate people but for those most part I have never seen any one bullied or judged or made to feel less than...in a gym. I have really never seen a gym management team let their gym be hostile or uncomfortable to new members...A gym is a place of healing, its a sanctuary so don;t ever feel funny going into a gym. I have been in and out of gyms for my entire adult life....they are great places to be...even the ones with the concrete floors. Muscle heads are basically extinct and working out is main stream...see a gym go in you'll never regret it. Have a problem.tell management and they will clean that problem up in no time at all.

Except for the locker rooms. Gotta watch out in them if you take up too much space.

Or so I hear.

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    To people who are relatively new to the gym environments...its really a very emotionally safe place to be. Even this petty garbage that goes on on this site does NOT go on in the gyms. Yeah there maybe a few inconsiderate people but for those most part I have never seen any one bullied or judged or made to feel less than...in a gym. I have really never seen a gym management team let their gym be hostile or uncomfortable to new members...A gym is a place of healing, its a sanctuary so don;t ever feel funny going into a gym. I have been in and out of gyms for my entire adult life....they are great places to be...even the ones with the concrete floors. Muscle heads are basically extinct and working out is main stream...see a gym go in you'll never regret it. Have a problem.tell management and they will clean that problem up in no time at all.

So if I need to urinate and somebody takes the equipment I am using, they will take care of that, right?

lets not forget you magically lose five pounds when you enter the inner sanctum of the gym….

Even if there's a concert floor?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

So if I need to urinate and somebody takes the equipment I am using, they will take care of that, right?

lets not forget you magically lose five pounds when you enter the inner sanctum of the gym….

Even if there's a concert floor?

especially if there is a concrete floor….
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, what would you do if you didn't have a lock on your locker, and you saw someone take your stuff out, put their stuff in, and lock it?
  • LokiDokiArtichoki
    LokiDokiArtichoki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Y'all need to fall off your high horses. Lol

What bugs me is when parents let their children run around like little psychopaths and climb on equipment and nearly run into people or knock weights over. There's a childcare center at our gym so there's no reason for them to allow their children to be unsupervised. It's disrespectful and dangerous (and annoying).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

What bugs me is when parents let their children run around like little psychopaths and climb on equipment and nearly run into people or knock weights over. There's a childcare center at our gym so there's no reason for them to allow their children to be unsupervised. It's disrespectful and dangerous (and annoying).

Your gym does not address that problem?

16 posts and you're telling people to get off their high horses? Wow.

Look at it this way. What you describe is a safety issue, but a lot of the pet peeves in this thread are not.
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

I must say, I don’t really think about it much. I myself do not “hold” the treadmill – but I do “balance” myself at times. I have arthritis, back & heart issues….and take medication for all. I usually assume the other person has their own reasons.

When I started using the treadmill over 1 year ago, I could barely walk 5 minutes & I can assure you I DID “hold-on” at that stage. Now that I have lost close to 200 pounds it is a different story.

In all honesty, I rarely think about what someone else is doing. I have my headphones on – I am listening to Bruno, Pitbull, Sinatra, JT – whatever – and get lost in the music and occasionally will look around at what is on one of a dozen TV’s.

The only thing that bothers me is when rude, self-absorbed people don’t wipe down equipment after usage or think the treadmill next to the one that are using is a place to hang their sweatshirt.

Wish you the best on your weight-loss efforts.

73641431.png

Holy crap you're amazing! 200lbs! What an accomplishment!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Why do we need to get off our high horses? How were we even on them to begin with? And what you are describing isn't a peeve, but a safety issue as SLLRunner stated. That can/should be immediately addressed by the people working there or/and management.
  • alwinter09
    alwinter09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hold the treadmill because i have a foot injury, causing my balance to be poor. I would rather be wobbly then not work out at all :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Look at it this way. What you describe is a safety issue, but a lot of the pet peeves in this thread are not.

I have never seen this...ever - there is usually an age limit requirement and in any event, this is a liability issue for a gym so I cannot even see how it would be allowed by any gym.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

The gym I go to doesn't allow kids under 13 in the cardio or weight lifting areas, only the pools, tennis courts and basketball courts. I'm shocked that your gym allows this behavior
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I have never seen this...ever - there is usually an age limit requirement and in any event, this is a liability issue for a gym so I cannot even see how it would be allowed by any gym.

I agree 100%. In our gym, the kids get to go to the playroom where the gym staff take turns interacting with them and making sure they are having a great time.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just holding on to the rails doesn't bother me, because people could have balance or coordinaton issues. I DO roll my eyes every time I see someone trying to run at incline 10 and they have to keep a death grip on the display panel just to stay on the machine. If they are holding up 1/3 of their body weight, they aren't working as hard As they think they are. Either they should lower the speed or the incline, or they should go outside and run up a hill while actually using their legs.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use the handles on the treadmill to keep track of my heartbeat. It also keeps me from stumbling. I think it's a mind "thang". I get a little wobbly if I let go of the handles.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    They are still using their legs even if they hold on.

But not with the same effort that they would be if they weren't holding on to the front of the machine for dear life.
    I just don't understand the point of setting it to a speed and incline that you can't actually do.