Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options
1303132333436»

Replies

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Weight stack, to me = weight machines. But you're right, she didn't specify.

For me personally? Loud sudden noises (in general) are unpleasant, especially if there isn't a rhythm to it. But again, it doesn't affect my workout, I keep trucking along. It's in that list of personal pet peeves along with not re-racking weights, not wiping down machines after use, and personal space. I dislike them but they don't make my workout any less efficient.

We don't have Olympic weights at my gym. And whenever I go in, I never see someone deadlifting. So those two factors, as of yet, haven't happened to me personally.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh wait, my bad. I thought Olympic plates meant the bumper plates, which we don't have. It has plenty of the regular ones.

Actually from working out the other day I found another pet peeve: When people take the weight clamps from the squat rack and put them on the smith machine.

WHY.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    Oh wait, my bad. I thought Olympic plates meant the bumper plates, which we don't have. It has plenty of the regular ones.

Actually from working out the other day I found another pet peeve: When people take the weight clamps from the squat rack and put them on the smith machine.

WHY.

I assumed you meant bumper plates as Oly lifting usually uses them and usually gyms do not use standard bar plates.

In answer to your question...no clue.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.

hmmm most people at my gym I see in the am are obese beginners...I guess that means that all early am people are obese beginners....< see what I did there...

People that exercise in between these two extremities(i.e The afternoon) are neither skinny or fat in my gym. They would probably be considered skinnyfat. ;)

I am having an identity crisis - I often workout in the morning and the evening. In fact, weekends, I sometimes lift in the morning, afternoon and evening. I have no idea if I am in better shape, lazy, skinny fat or maybe all of the above now.

Two days a week I do two-a-days and lifting in the morning and cardio in the afternoon. I think I'm doing those in the right order, you lift when you're fit and cardio in the afternoon when you're fat, right?

No, no, no...you'll never see results that way. Cardio in the morning when you're serious about burning calories and lift in the afternoon when you're a bro chilling out between sets.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    people who CLANG the weight stack up and down repeatedly. my ears. wtf.
    What about if we are deadlifting? Should we gently guide the weight down? What if it's 300 lbs+?

I assume they meant for machines, not free weights. And yeah, even though it's not directly affecting my workout, it's rather annoying to listen to. Especially if I can hear it over my music.

Don't assume you know what she meant, let her respond for herself. You're in a gym, there will be noise. You have 3 options. Get over it, join planet fitness or work out at home. It's a gym not a book club of a poetry reading.

So a machine clanking is going to annoy you but a heavy deadlift hitting the floor won't? Or someone doing Olympic lifts letting the bar drop from over their head?
    Or get ear plugs!! ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    people who CLANG the weight stack up and down repeatedly. my ears. wtf.

do you even deadlift???

Since she mentioned the weight stack clanging, no.

It's adorable how she called me a troll just before she left. Stop banging the weights, is too loud!!! I'd like to see someone tell me that while I'm on the platform. Complaints like that are we we know it's safe to say DYEL?

ETA: Please please please, stop banging the weights at the gym. Please

the more important question is…

do you wear diapers when you lift???
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Ive found a pet peeve today.

I started my session and there was a guy on the bench press. Thats ok, I need the (thankfully vacant) rack anyway. I do my squats and Im supposed to bench next, but he is still there. So I move on to rows. After fnishing them I really want to bench and... he is still there.

In the end (for the second time in a row) Ive ended up having to bench in the smith machine, which Im really not that happy about.

So here is my annoyance.

Why the hell does my gym have only 1 bench!?

It has about 4 incline benches (some fixed, some adjustable) but none have the rack for the weights. So there is literally one single bench you can press on. What the hell!?

The guy using it? No problem. He was pushing way over 200lbs, I get that he had to take time between sets. It didnt bother me that he was chatting to his friend in between sets. I am totally comfortable with that situation.

Im just p*ssed off I had to compromise my workout because such a fundamental piece of equipment is not better stocked!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Ive found a pet peeve today.

I started my session and there was a guy on the bench press. Thats ok, I need the (thankfully vacant) rack anyway. I do my squats and Im supposed to bench next, but he is still there. So I move on to rows. After fnishing them I really want to bench and... he is still there.

In the end (for the second time in a row) Ive ended up having to bench in the smith machine, which Im really not that happy about.

So here is my annoyance.

Why the hell does my gym have only 1 bench!?

It has about 4 incline benches (some fixed, some adjustable) but none have the rack for the weights. So there is literally one single bench you can press on. What the hell!?

The guy using it? No problem. He was pushing way over 200lbs, I get that he had to take time between sets. It didnt bother me that he was chatting to his friend in between sets. I am totally comfortable with that situation.

Im just p*ssed off I had to compromise my workout because such a fundamental piece of equipment is not better stocked!

You could pull a flat bench into the rack and bench there. I do but I also workout in my basement lol.

A gym I used to go to had 4 flat bench stations, 1 upright, 2-3 incline/decline benches (I forget the ratio). I didn't see decline used much tho
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I did think of that but the way the place is set up it would have been a nightmare. I may have to do it anyway if it happens again!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't get people who basically go to chat or look for a date etc Surely any guy would just get bored of you quick once they find you aren't really interested in fitness/gym.

This isn't a pet peeve but why waste your time using equipment incorrectly? 2 ladies yesterday (one I know) were using the chest press machine but with their legs crossed instead of having both feet on the floor.
    Standing backwards on the dip machine (pull up assist machine), holding on and just swinging the legs.
    Standing on a bench/platform away off the ground and doing a deadlift type thing. Basically bending down way past the feet towards the floor.

Now I know little about exercise (can't you tell) so maybe they are actual things.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    I don't get people who basically go to chat or look for a date etc Surely any guy would just get bored of you quick once they find you aren't really interested in fitness/gym.

This isn't a pet peeve but why waste your time using equipment incorrectly? 2 ladies yesterday (one I know) were using the chest press machine but with their legs crossed instead of having both feet on the floor.
    Standing backwards on the dip machine (pull up assist machine), holding on and just swinging the legs.
    Standing on a bench/platform away off the ground and doing a deadlift type thing. Basically bending down way past the feet towards the floor.

Now I know little about exercise (can't you tell) so maybe they are actual things.
    @debrag12‌
    In regards to the italicized portion, it's possible that they're unsure how to use the machine properly

In regards to the underlined portion, you're still holding up your bodyweight and putting tension on your triceps so it's still doing something.

In regards to the bolded section, that's a deficit deadlift.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/deficit-deadlift

From a bench, it is a tad ridiculous. But NROLFW calls for that type of deadlift using a step.
    It's a greater range of motion than a traditional deadlift.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    2 ladies yesterday (one I know) were using the chest press machine but with their legs crossed instead of having both feet on the floor.

It might not be "correct," but it will make you work your chest/shoulders/triceps more. You won't be as stable as with feet on floor, so I wouldn't advise it. But it's not completely unreasonable. Some people do basically this with bench press, so it activates the core a little better (in theory), so maybe that's how they got the idea?

Sounds like a version of the hanging leg raise. Usually done from a Captain's Chair, but can be done from here. That said, I see many people literally just swinging their legs, uncontrolled. If it's done in a controlled manner, it's fine.

As has been mentioned, deficit deadlifts.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

@debrag12‌
    In regards to the italicized portion, it's possible that they're unsure how to use the machine properly

In regards to the underlined portion, you're still holding up your bodyweight and putting tension on your triceps so it's still doing something.

From a bench, it is a tad ridiculous. But NROLFW calls for that type of deadlift using a step.

Yeah, NRLFW has deficit deadlifts in the second phase, so relatively new lifters (who might not know how all the machines work yet, but are giving them a try) do them
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

@debrag12‌

Yeah, NRLFW has deficit deadlifts in the second phase, so relatively new lifters (who might not know how all the machines work yet, but are giving them a try) do them

It could also be straight legged deadlifts - you tend to have more deficit with them.