• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Wow I really dont' even know how to respond to this.

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training.

Come on now, you know that if your laces untie you actually have to go home. Training is over. Dems the rules.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with needing to use the bathroom and then acting accordingly. But to expect the machine to be waiting for you is a bit uncool because if it is not occupied, it should be available to anyone who can and wants to use it.

But what if it's occupied by my stuff? What is the difference between taking 5 minutes to use the bathroom and taking a 5-minute rest period? In both scenarios I am not using the equipment for 5 minutes. Would you come up to my machine during my rest period, take my stuff and move it so you could work out? Or do you just do that when you think there's no one watching?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    A gym is a business and the owners/managers want their business to thrive. Most gyms have a system for giving them suggestions and complaints...generally you can get the paperwork at the front desk and even online. You don't have to leave your name if you do not want to. This action alerts the management team about what to work on. If the problem is widespread they will create a policy or procedure to correct if - if the problem is a member that keeps throwing people off equipment that they started to use because it was empty but the member was actually away from the equipment (for whatever reason) ...they will take care of that too. You can't 'save" gym equipment - you are either using it or you are not. There are some gyms that have a sign up system for equipment and those systems are enforced. Regardless feedback your gym to create an environment, policies and procedures that are good for everyone not just a few. I have never used the complaint systems...I just go straight to the GM...best person to know in our gyms is the GM so they get the information on how to manage the gym directly so the gym is not "staff" managed.

In certain circumstances (like going to pee) you absolutely can.

Also, I am perfectly able to tell the person myself to get out of the power rack that I had my towel over the bar in - I even tell them to put the pins back to the same height I had it if irritated enough. I do not need gym management to do it. Also, filling in a complaint form does not address the immediate issue.

You do not sign up for power cages btw.

I have no idea what gyms you have been going to but basically moving someone's stuff without checking to see if they are done (and waiting a reasonable amount of time for them to get back) is extremely bad form.

Actually its not...walking away from gym equipment and leaving all your stuff there is.

You all must belong to very very small gyms. (we all know each other comments are revealing)

Are you actually saying that if you wanted to use a machine and you saw someone walk away and leave their belongings on the machine as an indicator of their return...you would take their things and throw them away?

Like, if I was on a treadmill and had to refill my water bottle but left my towel and magazine there, you would take my stuff?

And you think this is okay?

Pretty sure that's the type of thing that would get you kicked out of the gym pretty fast
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm in the gym at 5 AM and often again after work around 5 PM. I have noticed virtually nobody in the morning sits on a piece of equipment using their cell phone for 5 minutes "resting" or "logging their workout". It's pretty common in the late afternoon. Funny thing if you asked the casual observer they would say the morning group was in better shape overall.

Just my observation.

hmmm most people at my gym I see in the am are obese beginners...I guess that means that all early am people are obese beginners....< see what I did there...

People that exercise in between these two extremities(i.e The afternoon) are neither skinny or fat in my gym. They would probably be considered skinnyfat. ;)

I am having an identity crisis - I often workout in the morning and the evening. In fact, weekends, I sometimes lift in the morning, afternoon and evening. I have no idea if I am in better shape, lazy, skinny fat or maybe all of the above now.

the time of day you work out will determine your fitness level..

so on Monday if you workout at 5am you would be "in great shape"

however, if you went Monday at 5pm you would be "out of shape"

if you went Monday at 12pm you would be in "OK shape"

are we clear on this?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    A gym is a business and the owners/managers want their business to thrive. Most gyms have a system for giving them suggestions and complaints...generally you can get the paperwork at the front desk and even online. You don't have to leave your name if you do not want to. This action alerts the management team about what to work on. If the problem is widespread they will create a policy or procedure to correct if - if the problem is a member that keeps throwing people off equipment that they started to use because it was empty but the member was actually away from the equipment (for whatever reason) ...they will take care of that too. You can't 'save" gym equipment - you are either using it or you are not. There are some gyms that have a sign up system for equipment and those systems are enforced. Regardless feedback your gym to create an environment, policies and procedures that are good for everyone not just a few. I have never used the complaint systems...I just go straight to the GM...best person to know in our gyms is the GM so they get the information on how to manage the gym directly so the gym is not "staff" managed.

In certain circumstances (like going to pee) you absolutely can.

Also, I am perfectly able to tell the person myself to get out of the power rack that I had my towel over the bar in - I even tell them to put the pins back to the same height I had it if irritated enough. I do not need gym management to do it. Also, filling in a complaint form does not address the immediate issue.

You do not sign up for power cages btw.

I have no idea what gyms you have been going to but basically moving someone's stuff without checking to see if they are done (and waiting a reasonable amount of time for them to get back) is extremely bad form.

Actually its not...walking away from gym equipment and leaving all your stuff there is.

You all must belong to very very small gyms. (we all know each other comments are revealing)

this is just idiotic....so if I get up on rest set and walk away for a second then I forfeit said equipment that I am on ...

obvious trolling is obvious trolling...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This just in: If you get off the bench to go get more plates from the tree across the way - you're likely to lose said bench in certain gyms.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training.

Come on now, you know that if your laces untie you actually have to go home. Training is over. Dems the rules.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with needing to use the bathroom and then acting accordingly. But to expect the machine to be waiting for you is a bit uncool because if it is not occupied, it should be available to anyone who can and wants to use it.

So it's unreasonable for me to be jogging on the treadmill and need to urinate so I pause it, leave my water and towel there, go to the restroom and have my stuff still be there and press start to continue with the workout in progress?

You would be okay if you did that and came back to the treadmill and someone was now using it and threw your stuff in the garbage?

that's what diapers are for bro....
  • TR0berts
    Options

So it's unreasonable for me to be jogging on the treadmill and need to urinate so I pause it, leave my water and towel there, go to the restroom and have my stuff still be there and press start to continue with the workout in progress?

You would be okay if you did that and came back to the treadmill and someone was now using it and threw your stuff in the garbage?

Time to go buy stock in Depends, I think.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    This just in: If you get off the bench to go get more plates from the tree across the way - you're likely to lose said bench in certain gyms.

or get your *kitten* kicked ....
  • ndj1979
    Options

I prefer big boy pullups....

the ladies seem to like them too ...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You mean, I have to wait another hour to finish my squat session because I needed to pee? Which means I would have to warm up all over again?

That's not how it works.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You mean, I have to wait another hour to finish my squat session because I needed to pee? Which means I would have to warm up all over again?

That's not how it works.

again...diapers...

• TR0berts
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's not how it works.

That might be the one time this is appropriate:

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Huggies holds more. ;)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Huggies holds more. ;)

Remember that SNL skit?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUDIsU6LDbVLt-jpcgIm4z1Z12ZVM_oOeA3RWjQhwljV6AnlRKJw
  • Serah87
    Options

That's not how it works.

That might be the one time this is appropriate:

LOL
  • Serah87
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »

Huggies holds more. ;)

Remember that SNL skit?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUDIsU6LDbVLt-jpcgIm4z1Z12ZVM_oOeA3RWjQhwljV6AnlRKJw

I didn't watch a whole lot of SNL.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    people who CLANG the weight stack up and down repeatedly. my ears. wtf.