Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well, that's for them to decide if they want to do that. It's better than doing nothing.

I'm not saying it's not their decision, I'm just saying I don't understand the logic.
    People do a lot of fool things that they are perfectly free to do - Doesn't stop it from being foolish.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Apparently, folk care way, way too much about what others do at the gym. The only thing that bothers me is when PTs approach me and try to sell sessions and/or woo. This has happened three times in a month at GoodLife Fitness. I'll be switching to World Gym when I move. I manage to smile, nod, and do whatever the *kitten* I was going to do anyway, but it's still a little unappreciated.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It being foolish is subjective.

I am sharing an opinion, so... Yes.
  • Kryztoffur
    Kryztoffur Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use the handles on the treadmill to keep track of my heartbeat. It also keeps me from stumbling. I think it's a mind "thang". I get a little wobbly if I let go of the handles.

That's my problem...I'm always scared that I'm gonna fly off the treadmill. Also because of knee problems and I'm always scared that my knee will lock up and screw me over.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    All I'm seeing is someone going around flagging valid comments. Whoever is doing it probably doesn't know your username get's sent to the moderators along with the post that you have flagged..

If the moderators think it was a waste of their time they come back at you. In short it backfires.

Don't do it for the sake of your id. You still have time to un-flag the comments.

The only reason the mods complain about it is because people whine about the flags. As far as I know, they get no automatic notification until there are actually five flags on one post and then they have to review and take action. If there was no actual violation after five flags, then it's a waste of their time. It's been repeatedly explained that the flags don't do anything to people's accounts if you haven't violated the rules but that hasn't curbed the incessant whining. At all.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I laugh to myself a bit every time I see a comment about wiping down equipment. I obviously do it, but it makes me think of days past in a gym. I've been going to a school gym or public gym for 40+ years. Most of the places I went to early on didn't have air conditioning other than a large cattle fan to move the hot air around on a 90+ degree day. Wiping up equipment was not done. Amazingly never heard of anyone getting sick from anything in their gym.

I have thought this before as well

I don't know about some epic sickness but I feel like I used to get more colds from my regular gym visits. That's when I started using hand sanitizer and washing my hands more. Some things like the mats for core exercises at the end of my classes never get wiped down. Even though you can set a clean towel over it while using it (totally optional), you still have to pick it up and set it back down when finished... Stuff like that can easily transmit common germs
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Wow I really dont' even know how to respond to this.

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training.

Come on now, you know that if your laces untie you actually have to go home. Training is over. Dems the rules.

What is amazing to me is this would never even cross my mind. I have been in the gyms "before woman were allowed in the gyms' and if you leave the equipment...you leave the equipment. THATS IT.

I am stunned that people think this way...omg, If you leave your equipment....you leave the equipment.

This is adult life...there are no "savesies"

Yes there are.

My squat, bench and deadlift sessions last a damn site longer than 10 minutes. If I need to pee, I need to pee. Its that simple. Me going to the restroom takes no longer than my rest times between sets. If I have my towel over a barbell, I expect it to be there when I get back. If someone wants to work in, they are free to ask.

It's common courtesy to make sure someone is finished with their session. A towel over the bar indicates that they have not. I am stunned that you do not realize this.

I also check around with people if there are weights on the bar or dumb bells near the bench to make sure someone hasn't just run to the washroom or something.
    Usually I'm looking ahead to the next piece of equipment i need so I have an idea if they've gone and left the weights laying around or if they might be back but I always check.

If I were that concerned with everyone else I would never get my work out done...in the gym's there are always those "bounce around type" people...they are ignored. There is order in the gym and even if some people don't know what it is...its still the norm. Leave a machine and its empty and anyone can use it,,.and any gym management would enforce that.

do they tho? in your lifetime of petty gym antics, has any gym manager or employee kicked someone out of a gym because of your inane rantings?

yeeeeeah, i didn't think so. they probably get some good laughs behind your back tho
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    I'm curious, what would you do if you didn't have a lock on your locker, and you saw someone take your stuff out, put their stuff in, and lock it?

Most likely give them the evil eye and relocate my belongings

Other options:

Confront them politely or not so politely
    Report them to someone at the front desk. *Then* snitch them out to the owners as well

But this almost certainly wouldn't happen at my gym. There's always enough lockers, a free shower stall, and available machines during the times I'm there. If there's three more machines or lockers to choose from, I suspect nobody would be moving anybody's belongings about??
  • MissElSalvador
    MissElSalvador Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm too busy to notice! :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, what would you do if you didn't have a lock on your locker, and you saw someone take your stuff out, put their stuff in, and lock it?
    Lockers always have those vents in them, so someone whose stuff was thrown all over the floor might decide to put an unpleasant liquid through those vents because there's a very good chance they happen to remember which locker their stuff had been in.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Lockers always have those vents in them, so someone whose stuff was thrown all over the floor might decide to put an unpleasant liquid through those vents because there's a very good chance they happen to remember which locker their stuff had been in.

What exactly would be the delivery system for said unpleasant liquid??? :o
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Most likely give them the evil eye and relocate my belongings

Other options:

Confront them politely or not so politely
    Report them to someone at the front desk. *Then* snitch them out to the owners as well

But this almost certainly wouldn't happen at my gym. There's always enough lockers, a free shower stall, and available machines during the times I'm there. If there's three more machines or lockers to choose from, I suspect nobody would be moving anybody's belongings about??

Would you remove their belongings?

Well they've put a lock on in this hypothetical, but all things being equal, no. There's all kinds of reasons why this is not the best idea, but ultimately, some jerk's actions do not have to dictate mine

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    All I'm seeing is someone going around flagging valid comments. Whoever is doing it probably doesn't know your username get's sent to the moderators along with the post that you have flagged..

If the moderators think it was a waste of their time they come back at you. In short it backfires.

Don't do it for the sake of your id. You still have time to un-flag the comments.

The only reason the mods complain about it is because people whine about the flags. As far as I know, they get no automatic notification until there are actually five flags on one post and then they have to review and take action. If there was no actual violation after five flags, then it's a waste of their time. It's been repeatedly explained that the flags don't do anything to people's accounts if you haven't violated the rules but that hasn't curbed the incessant whining. At all.

If I were in charge, I'd disable the entire flagging system...at least until they figure out the whole rating and reporting system...

...but that's just me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?

Apparently not, lol . This person wants to make damn sure no one is on his machine when he is ready to use it. lmao Some people have no etiquette. Luckily people don't act like this at my gym.

If I am reading this correctly people actually leave the eqiuipment they are using to go to the bathroom and expect the equipment they are using to be free- waiting for them to get back from the bathroom?

Wow I really dont' even know how to respond to this.

Yes. If I'm in the middle of doing something long and suddenly have to pee, why not just let me pee and come back? How is that any different from a rest period or just a pause to tie my shoes on the treadmill?

It would require someone not believing everyone follows their imaginary rules that we can't take a bathroom break in the middle of training.

Come on now, you know that if your laces untie you actually have to go home. Training is over. Dems the rules.

What is amazing to me is this would never even cross my mind. I have been in the gyms "before woman were allowed in the gyms' and if you leave the equipment...you leave the equipment. THATS IT.

I am stunned that people think this way...omg, If you leave your equipment....you leave the equipment.

This is adult life...there are no "savesies"

Yes there are.

My squat, bench and deadlift sessions last a damn site longer than 10 minutes. If I need to pee, I need to pee. Its that simple. Me going to the restroom takes no longer than my rest times between sets. If I have my towel over a barbell, I expect it to be there when I get back. If someone wants to work in, they are free to ask.

It's common courtesy to make sure someone is finished with their session. A towel over the bar indicates that they have not. I am stunned that you do not realize this.

I also check around with people if there are weights on the bar or dumb bells near the bench to make sure someone hasn't just run to the washroom or something.
    Usually I'm looking ahead to the next piece of equipment i need so I have an idea if they've gone and left the weights laying around or if they might be back but I always check.

If I were that concerned with everyone else I would never get my work out done...in the gym's there are always those "bounce around type" people...they are ignored. There is order in the gym and even if some people don't know what it is...its still the norm. Leave a machine and its empty and anyone can use it,,.and any gym management would enforce that.

do they tho? in your lifetime of petty gym antics, has any gym manager or employee kicked someone out of a gym because of your inane rantings?

yeeeeeah, i didn't think so. they probably get some good laughs behind your back tho

What could you possibly know about gym management?

DYEGym?
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Just logged back in. Well this all Escalated quickly! :)