Detox before weight loss?

Options
People keep telling me that I have to detox my body before dieting, or I will loose little to no weight. Is this true?

Replies

• mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! Unless you have health problems, your body detoxes by itself.
  • corindeathawk
    corindeathawk Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The only thing a detox will accomplish will be to detox your wallet of money. You just need to eat less calories than you burn to lose weight.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Detox from what?
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    elias1609 wrote: »
    People keep telling me that I have to detox my body before dieting, or I will loose little to no weight. Is this true?

Those people are filthy liars. Cut calories = lose weight. Your body detoxes by itself, if it didn't, we'd all die or something.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Detox is for drug abusers.

There is no legit equivalent for dieters.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, absolutely not. Your body already rids itself of toxins on a regular basis on its own.

When you first start losing weight, you often will lose several pounds more than the normally recommended 1-2 pounds a week, for the first week or more (depends on how heavy you were to start with.) When I first started, I lost something like 8 pounds in the first two weeks. That is all without a detox diet. So when you see people losing 10 pounds in two weeks on detox diets, it would have been just as likely that they would have lost that weight eating normal food as they did drinking cucumber lemon water or whatever the detox diet called for.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Those people need to be slapped.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Those people are filthy liars. Cut calories = lose weight. Your body detoxes by itself, if it didn't, we'd all die or something.
    Detox is for drug abusers.

There is no legit equivalent for dieters.
    Those people need to be slapped.

Says it all
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Ugh!
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I swear if I see the word detox one more time im going to.. probably complain. Like im doing now.

Calories in, Calories out. Our bodies are pretty great at handling everything else as long as we take care of how much we put in them.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    OP, don't listen to all this negativity. I've had a lot of success with a cleanse I developed. It's helped rid my liver of a lot of excess toxins and, after 3 rounds, my body is nearly 95% chemical free. Let me know if you want more info.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hopefully OP will listen to all this sound advice.
  • krystlestar00
    krystlestar00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's BS. I started really tracking what I ate last Monday and today I'm down 3lbs. Granted I just started and I'm in the 240s, so the first couple weeks I'm gonna have bigger losses. I think detoxing is a gimmick and just a way for companies to make money off of people trying to lose weight.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    No. Detox is just another word for scam! Your body does a fine job "detoxing" itself. Just say no!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are these people also trying to sell you whatever scam detox you need? They're just trying to use your desperation to pad their wallets. You'll do just fine without throwing away your hard earned money first.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP, don't listen to all this negativity. I've had a lot of success with a cleanse I developed. It's helped rid my liver of a lot of excess toxins and, after 3 rounds, my body is nearly 95% chemical free. Let me know if you want more info.

260282_dd8db239842e2a82030f7a0aaaae9bb1_large.jpg
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

The people who are telling your that are idiots.

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

Please, sir, tell me more!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

You tease. I was hoping for an awesome meme.