1789101113»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    I kept trying to make kale chips because they're supposedly so healthy and delicious. I figured they tasted awful because I was doing something wrong such as over cooking them. Last time I made them they were perfect coming out of the oven, and nope. Still tasted bitter. Even tried a salt and vinegar variation, and I'm a salt and vinegar flavour fiend. Nope.

I can't imagine kale chips from an oven ever being good.

I make mine on very low heat (~105F) in a dehydrator. Much hotter and they will have that unforgettable burnt taste.

I've done them in a regular oven at about 200. It works pretty well. The key is watching them like a hawk...too little time and the texture is rubbery, to much and...mgh. BITTER.
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's a lot of work... for a "might" workout.
    Verses me walking less than 50 feet and paying 2$ for 250 calories worth of delicious cheesey doritos and a delicious pepsi max.

I think we can all see who the clear winner is here.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I kept trying to make kale chips because they're supposedly so healthy and delicious. I figured they tasted awful because I was doing something wrong such as over cooking them. Last time I made them they were perfect coming out of the oven, and nope. Still tasted bitter. Even tried a salt and vinegar variation, and I'm a salt and vinegar flavour fiend. Nope.

I make mine on very low heat (~105F) in a dehydrator. Much hotter and they will have that unforgettable burnt taste.

I've done them in a regular oven at about 200. It works pretty well. The key is watching them like a hawk...too little time and the texture is rubbery, to much and...mgh. BITTER.
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's a lot of work... for a "might" workout.
    Verses me walking less than 50 feet and paying 2$ for 250 calories worth of delicious cheesey doritos and a delicious pepsi max.

Well, sure. But try as I might, I can't get my CSA to plant Doritos. jerks.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I *kitten* hate kale, but that was funny as *kitten*!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

My husband would pay for money for a Dorito plant.
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    sdfrcf wrote: »
    I eat kale often. Make kale chips every weekend. Was doing them in the oven but recently got a dehydrator and have been using that. Like them both ways. I will sprinkle them with nutritional yeast for taste. I also will cook it up with some bacon as bacon makes everything better.

Sounds like a good way to ruin perfectly good bacon to me *shrug*

Agreed!