Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    h1B32E677
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Prove me if I am wrong but I thought watercress was the most nutritionally sound vegetable. It tops kale in the ranks by at least 7.

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Boo!! Hiss!! Oh wait, you're right. Anything's better than kale. You go, girl!

But still--bacon & peeps > kale and watercress

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

Kale belongs in a trash can. Along with the quinoa.

It might be, but I'm forced to ask, isn't kale a fern?

From wiki:

Kale:
    Kale or borecole (Brassica oleracea Acephala Group) is a vegetable with green or purple leaves, in which the central leaves do not form a head. It is considered[1] to be closer to wild cabbage than most domesticated forms of vegetables.

The species Brassica oleracea contains a wide variety of vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, and brussels sprouts. The cultivar group Acephala also includes spring greens and collard greens, which are similar genetically. Pieris rapae is one of the best-known pests of the plant.

Fern:
    A fern is a member of a group of roughly 12,000 species[3] of vascular plants that reproduce via spores and have neither seeds nor flowers. They differ from mosses by being vascular (i.e. having water-conducting vessels). They have stems and leaves, like other vascular plants. Most ferns have what are called fiddleheads that expand into fronds, which are each delicately divided.[4]

Leptosporangiate ferns (sometimes called "true ferns") are by far the largest group, but ferns as defined here (ferns sensu lato) include horsetails, whisk ferns, marattioid ferns, and ophioglossoid ferns. This group may be referred to as monilophytes. The term pteridophyte traditionally refers to ferns plus a few other seedless vascular plants (see the classification section below), although some recent authors have used the term to refer strictly to the monilophytes.

I'm gonna go with no but I'm not a biologist and my last biology class was in 2004. Plus I never learned the plant kingdoms either in 5th grade...

I like you, but...

axJmn.gif

Yeah I know but science and learning!

Unrelated but this is cute:
    star-trek-peeps.jpg

Since developing the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM), I've found so many awesome pics like this. There are some truly creative individuals out there. I discuss incorporating your artistic visions into your cleanse in my upcoming book The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): Incorporating Your Artistic Visions Into Your Cleanses, Master Works Recreated With Peep Inspiration, A Coffeetable Book.

I really think you need to work on shortening the title of your upcoming book!

You can appreciate big words, or you can have short book titles. You can't have both. @tincanonastring commands respect here. This is your last warning.

If that's the case, I've completely failed all of my goals!

You only fail if you give up. Back on the horse, pally! You can do it!

In that case, dick pics for everyone!

What did I walk into?
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    OMG can anyone say boerenkool

3q7dvghayyt8.jpg

YUM!!!!! :yum:

this is the only thing I use kale for. But your have it wrong, your missing the bacon in the potatoes.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I once picked the kale out of a kale salad. Get on my level. ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All food of lovely, says Mother Earth.
    Enchanted-mother-earth-3.jpg
    I had a bumper crop the year before last so I learned to cook it. Maybe same-day home grown isn't as bitter. I found it to cook up just like spinach, only a little heartier. I modified a lot of spinach recipes.

A neighbour, a recent immigrant from West Africa, took as much as I could give her. She used it in her cooking all the time and had a hard time finding it here.

Sukama Wiki
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    AKChevy wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    OMG can anyone say boerenkool

3q7dvghayyt8.jpg

YUM!!!!! :yum:

this is the only thing I use kale for. But your have it wrong, your missing the bacon in the potatoes.
    Google, man.

And it's also missing loads of butter, gravy or Maggi.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

I actually like the stuff, pan braised with garlic and olive oil and red pepper flakes and finished with a squirt of lemon. It needs to be properly and thoroughly cooked, though.

That's a waste of perfectly good garlic, olive oil, and red pepper.

Okay, I can buy people hating on kale, but what are your feelings on roasted Brussels sprouts?

Brussels Sprouts? You mean those little green bombs that taste like Farts smell?

Yeah they can burn in the depths of Hell with Kale

ShunTheNonbeliever.jpg

You're not the first to shun me, nor will you be the last.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

Now I am going to lure you in with pictures hehe :p

lure me to the restroom?
    tumblr_lsi42yBzQl1qgiie0.gif

edited to change puke gif so as not to repeat. :)

I've had 3 people walk into my office because I can't stop laughing at this and I'm running out of *kitten* excuses!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It has no vitamin D or B-12. It's also an incomplete protein.

And it tastes nasty.

Thumper! What did your father tell you?

Thumper-rabbit.jpg
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Selah722 wrote: »
    Kale can cause/influence kidney stones.
    My Brother in law used to eat Kale a lot and has had to stop altogether because it caused him to get Some really nasty kidney stones. (Doctors orders/diagnosis) It was aweful.
    That's no reason to shun it. it is good. just don't be eating it everyday. once a week is plently

Yeah Kale did this.......I have my doubts on that

Ditto.
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    I've never tried kale, it looks nasty ...

It's not nasty. People here clearly aren't eating it right…

Here's a delicious recipe:

1 bunch of kale
    1 small container of feta cheese
    1 cup of black olives
    1 can of chick peas
    1 small red onion, chopped
    1 medium cucumber, chopped
    2-3 tomatoes, diced

I make a garlic olive oil based dressing to go with it.

You just made it even worse.

While my kale in bacon grease didn't get love I've got to say that however you eat it you need to put fat on it...butter, bacon grease, olive oil...whatever...both for pallitability and to help your bod use the fat soluable vitamins. This combo above would just give me terrible gas!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Prove me if I am wrong but I thought watercress was the most nutritionally sound vegetable. It tops kale in the ranks by at least 7.

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is a fern.

Probably tastes like kale and watercress though.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

*sigh*

I guess I should finish catching up before I post anything at all.

Just a few more pages to go...er, I mean, 6. SIX PAGES?!? ON KALE?!?

What is wrong with you people?
  • KombuchaCat
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I actually like the stuff, pan braised with garlic and olive oil and red pepper flakes and finished with a squirt of lemon. It needs to be properly and thoroughly cooked, though.

That's a waste of perfectly good garlic, olive oil, and red pepper.

Okay, I can buy people hating on kale, but what are your feelings on roasted Brussels sprouts?

Not my favorite but sometimes I get them in my CSA box. I found a recipe where you sautee with olive oil or butter and put a whole lot of smoked paprika in with it and onions, garlic. It was pretty darn good...but left to my own devices I typically stear clear of them.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

*sigh*

It gets so much better...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

*sigh*

Nothing. This is exactly as MFP should be. And please catch up, jof. Kale = fern has already been proved.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

From wiki:

Kale:
    Kale or borecole (Brassica oleracea Acephala Group) is a vegetable with green or purple leaves, in which the central leaves do not form a head. It is considered[1] to be closer to wild cabbage than most domesticated forms of vegetables.

The species Brassica oleracea contains a wide variety of vegetables, including broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, and brussels sprouts. The cultivar group Acephala also includes spring greens and collard greens, which are similar genetically. Pieris rapae is one of the best-known pests of the plant.

Fern:
    A fern is a member of a group of roughly 12,000 species[3] of vascular plants that reproduce via spores and have neither seeds nor flowers. They differ from mosses by being vascular (i.e. having water-conducting vessels). They have stems and leaves, like other vascular plants. Most ferns have what are called fiddleheads that expand into fronds, which are each delicately divided.[4]

Leptosporangiate ferns (sometimes called "true ferns") are by far the largest group, but ferns as defined here (ferns sensu lato) include horsetails, whisk ferns, marattioid ferns, and ophioglossoid ferns. This group may be referred to as monilophytes. The term pteridophyte traditionally refers to ferns plus a few other seedless vascular plants (see the classification section below), although some recent authors have used the term to refer strictly to the monilophytes.

I'm gonna go with no but I'm not a biologist and my last biology class was in 2004. Plus I never learned the plant kingdoms either in 5th grade...

There's only the one ...
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    Not kale, but ..
    4529385205_ffd76fafdf_z.jpg

I expected the caption to read "heaven's gate."

Too soon.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

ALL HAIL WATERCRESS.

Bacon+Peep.jpg

vs.

fern-01.jpg
    Isn't that a fern?

From wiki:

Kale:

Fern:

There's only the one ...

See, my 5th grade teacher failed me... lol
    I also never learned about the different cloud shapes, I know some of the names but my description of them all would be "cloud" lol
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Epic gifs are epic!!!!