rewarded myself by being humiliated....

Options
I have never been so humiliated and all I was trying to do was reward myself by building up the confidence to go into a sports store and splurge on all new nike running gear and that's when a horrible person tried to bring me down.:grumble:
I have never ever been one to be a runner and yet alone actually buy any type of apparel that contributes to it but after 5 months of bulding up my endurance with cardio and losing 35 pounds I was literally swimming in my old sweats and t shirts and wasn't able to keep them from dragging. Although im still a ways from my goal this is a great beginning for me. My husband decided to surprise me and take me to buy some actual running capris, sports bra, top etc. I was so excited being that I have never owned anything like that due to fear of what I would look like in it, paying that amount for exercise clothes when failing at all other diets and just the overall courage of walking into a sports store asking for help and what I should buy and if I could even fit in it!
Two days ago my hubby took me into sports authority after I did research on some gear online that way I saved myself any less humiliation of being completely clueless of what im looking for. I started looking around as my hubby shopped with the kids in another dept. and noticed there was nobody else in store besides employees which was a plus! I then see an employee which seemed to be the manager walking down the isle and he asks me if Im finding everything ok and I got the courage and asked him I actually need help on finding some new running capris. As I came around the rack he stopped and looked at my stomach and my body up and down and started to walk away saying well you need to be more specific and already I felt like I had been kicked in gut the way he looked at me in disgust. He wasn't young either he was late 40's/50 so I expected a little more maturity. I told him something that helps a little with jiggeling and comfort when running although I know nothing will completely prevent it. He then tells me " uh we don't carry anything in this store like that" I was very confused because of details on the clothes I read online I knew they had something in such but at this point I realized he just didn't want to help me or thinking I wouldn't fit in anything. I even told him im a size large/xl. He then tells me while hand gesturing at all the workout clothes that "all we have here is stuff for everyday use" as if I don't workout everyday.He then walked to the front cashiers and started arguing with his own employees about scheduling. Very unprofessional! I know im not over reacting being such a sensitive subject to me but the way he talked was so rude as well as body language. He wouldn't recommend nor try to show me anything else. I just stood there so upset and went and got my husband and said lets leave now! It was like the scene from pretty women, I swear!! I usually can handle my own but I was so hurt and felt so little after going in a feeling so proud Ive even come this far! Then of course hubby is wanting to know what happened and becomes extremely upset and I refused to tell him what happened till we already left. I didn't want anything else to escalate. After telling him the story He gave me so much support and talked me out of the emabarrasment and then decided to take me to ****s sporting goods. At first I didn't want to but he said he would be right there with me. Well after visiting that store my whole attitude changed! The employees treated me with so much respect, didn't look at me differently and I found everything I needed including the same running pants I saw at sports authority and even cheaper! It worked out great, I got what I needed and more and gave all my business to a well deserved company. I will never go to sports authority again and highly recommend ****s sporting goods to everyone. I tried emailing sports authority and of course no email address on website to contact or atleast none that I saw and tried calling customer service and was on hold for 5 min and never spoke with anyone and I didn't want to waste any more of my time with them. After all that It did become a success story after being that I got my gear and actually fit into something nice to workout in. Sorry I had to vent but im still proud to how far Ive came and understand theres gunna be bumps on the road but that's just making me stronger and I will not let nothing nor anyone bring me down and that's what I call success!! :happy:

Replies

• kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Vent away! It's ridiculous how that man treated you. I am happy that you eventually found what you were looking for, with much better service and a lower price, to boot! Keep at it. Don't let anyone bring you down. You've got a wonderful, supportive husband who wants to see you happy. Get it, woman! :D
  • cloudysky1284
    Options
    You go girl! That is better than I would have done. I probably would have kicked that employee in a not so appropriate place...LOL It is great that you have such a support system at home! Too many people don't understand the struggles of others who are trying to lose weight and it is a darn shame! Keep up the good work! :happy:
  • nika_bolinhos
    Options
    You should be very angry with them, they were terrible with you!!! If I were you I would at least make sure they are aware of what happened to you, it's no way to treat your costumers and because of one silly and horrible human being they might lose a lot of business, it would be nice to let them know to try and avoid someone else being treated like that. People who think they are better than the rest disgust me.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I have never been so humiliated and all I was trying to do was reward myself by building up the confidence to go into a sports store and splurge on all new nike running gear and that's when a horrible person tried to bring me down.:grumble:
    I have never ever been one to be a runner and yet alone actually buy any type of apparel that contributes to it but after 5 months of bulding up my endurance with cardio and losing 35 pounds I was literally swimming in my old sweats and t shirts and wasn't able to keep them from dragging. Although im still a ways from my goal this is a great beginning for me. My husband decided to surprise me and take me to buy some actual running capris, sports bra, top etc. I was so excited being that I have never owned anything like that due to fear of what I would look like in it, paying that amount for exercise clothes when failing at all other diets and just the overall courage of walking into a sports store asking for help and what I should buy and if I could even fit in it!
    Two days ago my hubby took me into sports authority after I did research on some gear online that way I saved myself any less humiliation of being completely clueless of what im looking for. I started looking around as my hubby shopped with the kids in another dept. and noticed there was nobody else in store besides employees which was a plus! I then see an employee which seemed to be the manager walking down the isle and he asks me if Im finding everything ok and I got the courage and asked him I actually need help on finding some new running capris. As I came around the rack he stopped and looked at my stomach and my body up and down and started to walk away saying well you need to be more specific and already I felt like I had been kicked in gut the way he looked at me in disgust. He wasn't young either he was late 40's/50 so I expected a little more maturity. I told him something that helps a little with jiggeling and comfort when running although I know nothing will completely prevent it. He then tells me " uh we don't carry anything in this store like that" I was very confused because of details on the clothes I read online I knew they had something in such but at this point I realized he just didn't want to help me or thinking I wouldn't fit in anything. I even told him im a size large/xl. He then tells me while hand gesturing at all the workout clothes that "all we have here is stuff for everyday use" as if I don't workout everyday.He then walked to the front cashiers and started arguing with his own employees about scheduling. Very unprofessional! I know im not over reacting being such a sensitive subject to me but the way he talked was so rude as well as body language. He wouldn't recommend nor try to show me anything else. I just stood there so upset and went and got my husband and said lets leave now! It was like the scene from pretty women, I swear!! I usually can handle my own but I was so hurt and felt so little after going in a feeling so proud Ive even come this far! Then of course hubby is wanting to know what happened and becomes extremely upset and I refused to tell him what happened till we already left. I didn't want anything else to escalate. After telling him the story He gave me so much support and talked me out of the emabarrasment and then decided to take me to ****s sporting goods. At first I didn't want to but he said he would be right there with me. Well after visiting that store my whole attitude changed! The employees treated me with so much respect, didn't look at me differently and I found everything I needed including the same running pants I saw at sports authority and even cheaper! It worked out great, I got what I needed and more and gave all my business to a well deserved company. I will never go to sports authority again and highly recommend ****s sporting goods to everyone. I tried emailing sports authority and of course no email address on website to contact or atleast none that I saw and tried calling customer service and was on hold for 5 min and never spoke with anyone and I didn't want to waste any more of my time with them. After all that It did become a success story after being that I got my gear and actually fit into something nice to workout in. Sorry I had to vent but im still proud to how far Ive came and understand theres gunna be bumps on the road but that's just making me stronger and I will not let nothing nor anyone bring me down and that's what I call success!! :happy:

You need to make it like the scene from pretty women!

When you hit Goal weight march back into that store and say

"Do you remember me?"
    "No I'm sorry"
    "I was in here yesterday, you wouldn't wait on me, you work on comission right? BIG MISTAKE!! Huge!... I have to go shopping now"

Hell I'l come with you and sing pretty women as you do it!!
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You totes need to Pretty Woman that place up when you get to your UGW. Congrats on your success so far.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry the way you were treated, that was completely uncalled for. It's probably a good thing you told you husband after you left. If I knew someone treated my wife like that I would probably need to be bailed out. At least you found what you were looking for elsewhere and got the service you deserved. Keep up the great work and don't let some jack *kitten* bring you down. I can say without even seeing a picture of you that with the progress you have made and the attitude you have toward bettering yourself that you are strong and beautiful.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    He is an uneducated asshat (has he never heard of compression garments?!?!) and it sounds like he treats his employees as poorly as he treated you. As hard as it is in the moment; try not to take his treatment of you personally....his behavior speaks more about him than it does you. And keep on rocking your program....you have alot of success to show for your hard work! Be proud of how far you've already come!
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    don't let jerks like that bring you down and judge you. I would've snapped at the guy! if they "don't carry anything like that" where the F are you supposed to get running gear if not at a SPORTS shop?? ive had similar experiences at sports authority going to the hunting/archery section. they always gave me the feeling that I don't belong there because I was female or whatever... never had that problem in any other "sports" shop. kudos for your husband! you have a special man there! most of all im glad you had a good experience after the sports authority nightmare. you worked hard to get where you are at! weight loss is a long road but when you get to the finish line, you can leave all those suckers in your dust with their mouths hanging open!
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    You have a wonderful and supportive husband. I am so happy for you! You are doing wonderful! Don't let judgemental idiots get in your way.

I had a hateful teen at the pool the other day tell his friend that I am too overweight for the pool. I looked at him with disdain as his friend tells him I'm hot..LOL. I chose to enjoy the compliment instead of the words of a small mind.

Its hard to break yourself out of the pain of people treating you badly big or small. Its great to have the support of people around you.

Enjoy your journey. Its amazing to see the weight coming off I know! Ignore the idiots that try to hamper your way. HUGS! :)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    no wonder you were his only customer.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you were treated like that--that is completely unreasonable and way to bring down your awesome NSV. I would actually put this entire letter on the Sports Authority facebook page. (not to nitpick, but paragraph breaks will make it a little easier to read). If you're not comfortable doing that, maybe a short summary.

I've found that often, corporate will contact you to find out about your experience and try to make it right. I used to work in customer service and we would have been horrified to see a customer treated that way (what's even better is that you're able to show them clearly that they lost your business since you went to D-ick's.)

^^AGREED
  • TakingControl13
    Options
    What an a-hole. I know I can have an attitude so I would have went off on him. You are doing a GREAT job so dont let anyone take that away from you. Keep up the good work!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had that experience - when I was fatter I used to buy XXL hoodies from ****s because they would essentially cover up my whole body - and I would definitely get looks when I walked into the store, how at 190 and wearing M/L I get no looks, unless its a damn he must workout type look or something.

If it were me - I would walk back to that sports authority after you get to goal (or right now) and let that guy know whats what - totally disgusting for anybody to be treated different, its no different than if someone were to insult an overweight person at the gym. We all have to start somewhere, consistency and dedication are the only things I care about when it comes to fitness, not what someone looks like

keep pounding the pavement!!!!!
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sorry you were treated that way and so glad the support your husband gave you during that time. So glad you went to the other store and found something to workout in, you deserve it. Now everytime you workout in that outfit you need to think of that man and push it to the max. Use that experience as a stepping stone to get to where you want to be. Do like Julia Roberts in pretty and go back (maybe he will still be working there) in a couple months when you have lost more and smile in his face and tell him, actually thank him for being an *kitten* but that he actually indirectly motivated you to succeed. You Go GIRL!!!!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you were treated like that--that is completely unreasonable and way to bring down your awesome NSV. I would actually put this entire letter on the Sports Authority facebook page. (not to nitpick, but paragraph breaks will make it a little easier to read). If you're not comfortable doing that, maybe a short summary.

I've found that often, corporate will contact you to find out about your experience and try to make it right. I used to work in customer service and we would have been horrified to see a customer treated that way (what's even better is that you're able to show them clearly that they lost your business since you went to D-ick's.)

^^AGREED

+1! Sorry he was such a douchenozzle. I hope you do contact them and report him. Fantastic NSV! :flowerforyou:
  • afflatushead
    afflatushead Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You should seriously write a yelp review and call a manager. maybe even submit a compaint on the Sport Authority website. Unacceptable.
  • destructor2013
    Options
    Wow that employee at Sports Authority sounds like a jerk. It amazes me how many people get into positions of management when they have no clue how to appropriately deal with people. And yet the people that do know what to do generally don't get promoted. Go figure. Anyways, glad you were able to find what you were looking for elsewhere. :)
  • MamaEpstein
    Options
    I love your husband.

I hate Sports Authority on your behalf!! I was completely ignored at Sportcheck - their loss, i was going to buy a polar ft 60 hehe.

So for some reason the store you did like is showing up for me as ***s sports....can you spell it out for me?

Thanks and good for you!
  • ViDexSha
    ViDexSha Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had a very bad experience at Sports Authority myself one day.
    I went there to buy shoes.....I found what I wanted. Just like in your story there were no other customers in the store. The mall was quiet. There were plenty of employees walking around and talking. So I grabbed the shoes I liked and asked for a size. The guy grabs the shoes and says he'll be back. But he doesn't walk to the back; he walks to the front where he starts gossiping about another employee. So I waited for a few minutes, then when he wasn't moving, I grabbed another employee and asked for the shoes is my size again. She was great, got me the shoes. As I am trying them on, the first employee comes over and he is very mad at me and starts yelling" You can't go around asking everybody for your shoes, I was already helping you. We are too busy for your to hog our staff"....I was stunned into silence....I didn't know what to say or do. I took off the shoes and decided to take my business to DI**'S as well.
    This store has horrible customer service. When I complained to head office, I knew that my complaints were falling on deaf ears...Don't let one person get you down. I am happy that you have a supportive husband who didn't let you leave without new running gear. :) Great NSV with a great reward!
  • hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love your husband.

I hate Sports Authority on your behalf!! I was completely ignored at Sportcheck - their loss, i was going to buy a polar ft 60 hehe.

So for some reason the store you did like is showing up for me as ***s sports....can you spell it out for me?

Thanks and good for you!

I never was a fan of Sport's AUthority, seems like all the employees are there to just get a paycheck. They have ZERO knowledge of the merchandise and even less sense as customer Service associates.

The stores name is D-I-C-K's Sports. The moderator probably thought it was a bad word (oops!).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!