rewarded myself by being humiliated....

Options

Replies

• Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    So I just read the rest of the comments. I think its interesting that some people think you're going overboard and shouldn't say anything or that maybe the manager was having a bad day.

I'm a retail manager (NOT with Sports Authority) and we constantly tell our associates to leave their personal problems at the door. When you walk up to a customer they aren't to know anything about what's going on in your life. You concentrate on the customer and make their world your world for the little time you're together.

He shouldn't have acted like that and his superiors need to know what he did. I very highly doubt he'll be fired unless he's received many similar complaints and I'm absolutely positive the store won't be shut down because of your complaint. He'll probably be talked to and reminded to put the customer first and to not discuss business on the sales floor. It MIGHT be noted in his personnel file, especially, like I said, if this isn't his first complaint.

^^^THIS
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Dude, if you actually knew me, you'd know 3 things.
    i stopped reading here.
    i suspect that he, like me, has no desire to know you at all.

but here, have a flower! :flowerforyou:
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh and wanted to add my little story of Ulta, a beauty/make up store. I went to one and I had just started working after looking for work for 2 years and right away the woman judged me on my appearance and said, "Oh, all the cheap products are on the other side of the store. If you follow me, I lead you. What made me feel worse was the fact that my clothes weren't tattered or bad looking.

Then I went to another Ulta store and this time, I went to another city for training and after my work out, shower, my co-workers asked if I wanted to go with them. When we got there, we all split up. I was looking for something specific but when tried to get the lady to come over, it litterally looked painful for her to come to me. One of my co-workers happened to wander down my aisle and when rep noticed, boy she whipped around so fast and asked her very sweetly if she needed help finding something. Then she was almost forced to come help me again and once again when someone else came near, she turned to them. Then I noticed a trainee and was going to ask her but that same lady pulled her away and after w/e she said to her, she wouldn't even come by me.

I should have just walked out both times but I really "needed" my makeup, so I just looked harder and bought my stuff and left.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    There are 2 things I really truly love about your story:

1) You lost enough weight and worked out enough to go to the store and buy new gear. In my mind, this is huge. It shows serious commitment on your part. Not just more of the usual, "*sigh* I wish I were thinner, but what's a person do to..." The fact that you started, stayed active, then got out there to the stores to become even MORE active, with better workout gear? Oh yeah. HUGE points for that one.

And,
    2) You were treated like crap. Sometimes people suck. There are no kind words for the jerkwad at SA. None. And I too would be crushed if he were that way to me. But, instead of letting that suck you down, you stood up, and went to the next store. It's not easy, when the wind has been taken out of your sails, to figure out some way to keep sailing. Giving up, and saying something like "Clearly running is for other people, not me" is easy. Going to the next store is hard. REALLY hard. But you did it anyway. You gathered your courage (of which, you CLEARLY have a massive supply), and went back. The fact that you didn't give in. You didn't go back. You didn't decide running isn't for you. You didn't let the jerkwads win. You went back. You were strong. This just really gets to me. Deep down gets to me.

I have a motto: Falling shows you're human. Getting up, brushing yourself off, and continuing on shows you're strong.

You are strong.

And I'm inspired.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    So I just read the rest of the comments. I think its interesting that some people think you're going overboard and shouldn't say anything or that maybe the manager was having a bad day.

I'm a retail manager (NOT with Sports Authority) and we constantly tell our associates to leave their personal problems at the door. When you walk up to a customer they aren't to know anything about what's going on in your life. You concentrate on the customer and make their world your world for the little time you're together.

He shouldn't have acted like that and his superiors need to know what he did. I very highly doubt he'll be fired unless he's received many similar complaints and I'm absolutely positive the store won't be shut down because of your complaint. He'll probably be talked to and reminded to put the customer first and to not discuss business on the sales floor. It MIGHT be noted in his personnel file, especially, like I said, if this isn't his first complaint.

Its obvious by "some people" you mean me. So I'm gonna be direct and have a spine and rebutt directly. Thank you for weighing in from a managers perspective. I really hope what you say is true. I also still hope OP gets to where she cares more about her own frame of mind entering this situation, than the comments or behavior of someohe who shouldn't matter that much to her.

not EVERYONE was born with the 'i dont care what people think about me" perspective though. Maybe OP, like many other people in this world actually DOO care how people percieve her, how people look at her, and how people treat her. Thats not her fault, nor should she have to be condemned for not being like people that have the ' dont care what people think attitude".

Its easier said than done, ESPECIALLY when youve had something weighing over your shoulders (EX: excess weight, low self esteem, depression, abnormality, syndromes, diseases...ect.)... point blank... the way people percieve you effects people emotionally..... and as someone who worked in sales/retail for a LONG TIME... i KNOW that in a good sale environment, your customers MUST COME FIRST... and courtesy is a number one priority... js
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i stopped reading here.

Good, the feeling is mutual. :noflowerforyou:
  • dreamweavers4
    Options
    Your story made me want to cry, I am so sorry you were treated that way.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This is the saddest thing, ever.

You're GORGEOUS. No matter what.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Its obvious by "some people" you mean me. So I'm gonna be direct and have a spine and rebutt directly. Thank you for weighing in from a managers perspective. I really hope what you say is true. I also still hope OP gets to where she cares more about her own frame of mind entering this situation, than the comments or behavior of someohe who shouldn't matter that much to her.

not EVERYONE was born with the 'i dont care what people think about me" perspective though. Maybe OP, like many other people in this world actually DOO care how people percieve her, how people look at her, and how people treat her. Thats not her fault, nor should she have to be condemned for not being like people that have the ' dont care what people think attitude".

Its easier said than done, ESPECIALLY when youve had something weighing over your shoulders (EX: excess weight, low self esteem, depression, abnormality, syndromes, diseases...ect.)... point blank... the way people percieve you effects people emotionally..... and as someone who worked in sales/retail for a LONG TIME... i KNOW that in a good sale environment, your customers MUST COME FIRST... and courtesy is a number one priority... js

Well as someone who has both worked and shopped in said environment, I know the same.

I also know not everyone has a thick skin all the time. I just think OP may have amped herself up to see a lot into it. I also remember a time when people may or may not have stared at my belly and thought I was pregnant, and I may or may not have had my feelings hurt by it. I did not however blame them for it, and I'm glad I didn't. First my belly was sticking out. And second, now that it isn't and someone JUST stared at it the other day for whatever reason, so I can now conclude that if someone stares at my belly they may not be thinking anything mean about it, they may just be thinking.
  • Marcillene
    Options

1) I hardly ever send friend requests and since this is the first time I ever noticed you on the boards, yeah that was never gonna happend and
    2) I actually did mean that to be helpful. I fear OP is in danger of going into a lot of situations all worked up from how SHE perceives herself and then projecting that onto any interactions she has with anyone.
    3) I have been in the position of someone being rude in the store to me for my size before and know exactly what it feels like but i don't feel the need to have them get fired over it, nor do I assist them in putting me down by sticking around and adding more fuel to their arsenal. I just think if OP is going to have success at weight loss, she might be helped by developing a thicker skin and that way she'll be ready for all the myriad of other social awkwardness that she might encounter when her weight loss shows, and people get curious or backhanded etc. Read other threads people, I'm not making this stuff up, it happens and I think OP in all seriousness cannot rely on her husband to be there 24/7 and soon her weight loss will make it so that she engages in more and more touchy conversations. I'd like to see her in a position to handle it.

And does OP want him fired? meh thats up for debate... but i think management needs to make HIM AWARE of his actions, and TEACH him or let him know that his attitude DOES effect the customers he is suppose to be helping. a warning for him doesnt mean getting fired.. unless this is the ummmpteenth time he is been talked to about his attitude in which case he SHOULD be fired.
  • Marcillene
    Options

Well as someone who has both worked and shopped in said environment, I know the same.

I also know not everyone has a thick skin all the time. I just think OP may have amped herself up to see a lot into it. I also remember a time when people may or may not have stared at my belly and thought I was pregnant, and I may or may not have had my feelings hurt by it. I did not however blame them for it, and I'm glad I didn't. First my belly was sticking out. And second, now that it isn't and someone JUST stared at it the other day for whatever reason, so I can now conclude that if someone stares at my belly they may not be thinking anything mean about it, they may just be thinking.

Good for you.. but that doesnt mean that ALL people should think like you... and react like you....
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Written letter of complaint to the store and their head office!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

1) I hardly ever send friend requests and since this is the first time I ever noticed you on the boards, yeah that was never gonna happend and
    2) I actually did mean that to be helpful. I fear OP is in danger of going into a lot of situations all worked up from how SHE perceives herself and then projecting that onto any interactions she has with anyone.
    3) I have been in the position of someone being rude in the store to me for my size before and know exactly what it feels like but i don't feel the need to have them get fired over it, nor do I assist them in putting me down by sticking around and adding more fuel to their arsenal. I just think if OP is going to have success at weight loss, she might be helped by developing a thicker skin and that way she'll be ready for all the myriad of other social awkwardness that she might encounter when her weight loss shows, and people get curious or backhanded etc. Read other threads people, I'm not making this stuff up, it happens and I think OP in all seriousness cannot rely on her husband to be there 24/7 and soon her weight loss will make it so that she engages in more and more touchy conversations. I'd like to see her in a position to handle it.

And does OP want him fired? meh thats up for debate... but i think management needs to make HIM AWARE of his actions, and TEACH him or let him know that his attitude DOES effect the customers he is suppose to be helping. a warning for him doesnt mean getting fired.. unless this is the ummmpteenth time he is been talked to about his attitude in which case he SHOULD be fired.

no someone else suggested that. that's who that comment was directed to. and no of course not everyone has to react and feel like I do, but once again my point here is that she self talked herself into a stressed state before hand. so that might have contributed to her hurt feelings. maybe not doing that might lessen those. that's all.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I was reading their Facebook page that was linked and I see a LOT of complaints about bad customer service.

Also, the page says this is their contact/customer service complaint email: social@sportsauthority.com

Regardless, sorry you had to go through that. I probably would have given that jerk a piece of my mind. :/

Thanks. Now I see he was probably actually a jerk. Yeah so maybe next time the online research can include something like this if you feel like the way people react to your size will affect your shopping experience. Make sure it's nice people. Just until you feel stronger.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation happen. I was getting new shoes and the men at the store (a shoe store) decided to wait on the skinny woman instead of the chubby one (me). She even walked in after me, and one of the employees had already acknowledged that he would be with me as soon as he finished with his current customer.

I called corporate. And I would recommend you do something like that. There is absolutely no reason for you (or anyone) to be treated like that! I'm so sorry he was such a douchecanoe!

But it sounds like you have an amazing and supportive husband!!!

so the other guy was already going to help you which might be why the next guy was taking the next customer....you? I don't get all this? Is this real life?

Dearest Chocolate, after reading your contributions to this thread I feel it would be "helpful" to advise you not to bother sending me a friend request. I hope you take this advice in the spirit in which it was given. It is only for your own good that I deny your emotional needs.

Later tater,
    Dudley Doodlewhopper

Dont try to get on my good side. It wont work, my mind is made up. Hereyago.:flowerforyou:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I have never been so humiliated and all I was trying to do was reward myself by building up the confidence to go into a sports store and splurge on all new nike running gear and that's when a horrible person tried to bring me down.:grumble:
    I have never ever been one to be a runner and yet alone actually buy any type of apparel that contributes to it but after 5 months of bulding up my endurance with cardio and losing 35 pounds I was literally swimming in my old sweats and t shirts and wasn't able to keep them from dragging. Although im still a ways from my goal this is a great beginning for me. My husband decided to surprise me and take me to buy some actual running capris, sports bra, top etc. I was so excited being that I have never owned anything like that due to fear of what I would look like in it, paying that amount for exercise clothes when failing at all other diets and just the overall courage of walking into a sports store asking for help and what I should buy and if I could even fit in it!
    Two days ago my hubby took me into sports authority after I did research on some gear online that way I saved myself any less humiliation of being completely clueless of what im looking for. I started looking around as my hubby shopped with the kids in another dept. and noticed there was nobody else in store besides employees which was a plus! I then see an employee which seemed to be the manager walking down the isle and he asks me if Im finding everything ok and I got the courage and asked him I actually need help on finding some new running capris. As I came around the rack he stopped and looked at my stomach and my body up and down and started to walk away saying well you need to be more specific and already I felt like I had been kicked in gut the way he looked at me in disgust. He wasn't young either he was late 40's/50 so I expected a little more maturity. I told him something that helps a little with jiggeling and comfort when running although I know nothing will completely prevent it. He then tells me " uh we don't carry anything in this store like that" I was very confused because of details on the clothes I read online I knew they had something in such but at this point I realized he just didn't want to help me or thinking I wouldn't fit in anything. I even told him im a size large/xl. He then tells me while hand gesturing at all the workout clothes that "all we have here is stuff for everyday use" as if I don't workout everyday.He then walked to the front cashiers and started arguing with his own employees about scheduling. Very unprofessional! I know im not over reacting being such a sensitive subject to me but the way he talked was so rude as well as body language. He wouldn't recommend nor try to show me anything else. I just stood there so upset and went and got my husband and said lets leave now! It was like the scene from pretty women, I swear!! I usually can handle my own but I was so hurt and felt so little after going in a feeling so proud Ive even come this far! Then of course hubby is wanting to know what happened and becomes extremely upset and I refused to tell him what happened till we already left. I didn't want anything else to escalate. After telling him the story He gave me so much support and talked me out of the emabarrasment and then decided to take me to ****s sporting goods. At first I didn't want to but he said he would be right there with me. Well after visiting that store my whole attitude changed! The employees treated me with so much respect, didn't look at me differently and I found everything I needed including the same running pants I saw at sports authority and even cheaper! It worked out great, I got what I needed and more and gave all my business to a well deserved company. I will never go to sports authority again and highly recommend ****s sporting goods to everyone. I tried emailing sports authority and of course no email address on website to contact or atleast none that I saw and tried calling customer service and was on hold for 5 min and never spoke with anyone and I didn't want to waste any more of my time with them. After all that It did become a success story after being that I got my gear and actually fit into something nice to workout in. Sorry I had to vent but im still proud to how far Ive came and understand theres gunna be bumps on the road but that's just making me stronger and I will not let nothing nor anyone bring me down and that's what I call success!! :happy:

1) I don't remember this scene from Pretty Woman at all. I remember a prostitute being treated like a prostitute by snobby sales girls, but no overweight people?
    2) I'm wondering why you didn't just ask for the name brand you'd found online during your research. Especially if you felt someone was already focusing on your "belly" and weight, I personally would never respond to a visual attack on my appearance by giving someone, anyone (manager or not) more ammo by using words like jiggly and etc. I'd just ask for the name brand in my size. Perhaps that's what he meant by "more specific".
    3) You seem really proud and happy with your D!cks's shopping excursion but that was really just facilitated by hubby's hand-holding, no? I really think you are overthinking things and walking into the store expecting therapy/cheerleading/commiserating/diagnosing rather than shopping help of the "can I help you find something" variety which is really all there is out there these days since the economy turned. If you need that much help after you're online research go to a store that caters more to people, it will cost more money but they will help you work out your problems questions with less attitude and more of an eye on the ball/dollar. You can't rely on your husband to go with you to buy everything. For now though until you develop the moxy to go it alone, he is your hero of the day and as such deserves a BJ. :flowerforhim: :flowerforyou:

You spoke my mind as well.

I mean, we are talking about sports authority here, this is not some fancy exclusive boutique for active wear. I think you would be hard pressed to find a manager or employee of a SA that has some sort of uppity idea of what their "clientele" should be, so I find it hard to imagine that this guys was discriminating against the OP because of her size.

Was he a jerk and unhelpful? Yes, there is no denying that. It sounds like he didn't care to serve any customers, but wanted to get to the business of talking down his employees. To be perfectly honest, most managers do tend to leave the customer service side to their employees so they can "manage", though many can go out of their way to be helpful. Report him if you like, but I think it is also helpful to look at how we perceive people based off of our own insecurities.

Edited to add: Yes, I understand he asked if you needed any help, but they are required to do that in most companies. It is not out of a desire to actually help in a lot of cases.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You should seriously write a yelp review and call a manager. maybe even submit a compaint on the Sport Authority website. Unacceptable.

100% this^^
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    i stopped reading here.

You from Texas by an chance? LOL
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, it's awesome that you're exercising and getting out there. That man should be ashamed of himself, what a horrible way to act.

Plus he's such an idiot, he obviously doesn't care about his job because he sure lost a sale/future customer.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!