rewarded myself by being humiliated....

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation happen. I was getting new shoes and the men at the store (a shoe store) decided to wait on the skinny woman instead of the chubby one (me). She even walked in after me, and one of the employees had already acknowledged that he would be with me as soon as he finished with his current customer.

I called corporate. And I would recommend you do something like that. There is absolutely no reason for you (or anyone) to be treated like that! I'm so sorry he was such a douchecanoe!

But it sounds like you have an amazing and supportive husband!!!

so the other guy was already going to help you which might be why the next guy was taking the next customer....you? I don't get all this? Is this real life?

Dearest Chocolate, after reading your contributions to this thread I feel it would be "helpful" to advise you not to bother sending me a friend request. I hope you take this advice in the spirit in which it was given. It is only for your own good that I deny your emotional needs.

Later tater,
    Dudley Doodlewhopper

Dude, if you actually knew me, you'd know 3 things.

1) I hardly ever send friend requests and since this is the first time I ever noticed you on the boards, yeah that was never gonna happend and
    2) I actually did mean that to be helpful. I fear OP is in danger of going into a lot of situations all worked up from how SHE perceives herself and then projecting that onto any interactions she has with anyone.
    3) I have been in the position of someone being rude in the store to me for my size before and know exactly what it feels like but i don't feel the need to have them get fired over it, nor do I assist them in putting me down by sticking around and adding more fuel to their arsenal. I just think if OP is going to have success at weight loss, she might be helped by developing a thicker skin and that way she'll be ready for all the myriad of other social awkwardness that she might encounter when her weight loss shows, and people get curious or backhanded etc. Read other threads people, I'm not making this stuff up, it happens and I think OP in all seriousness cannot rely on her husband to be there 24/7 and soon her weight loss will make it so that she engages in more and more touchy conversations. I'd like to see her in a position to handle it.

Well said. She needs to realize that in the real world not everyone is going to like her. Was the manager wrong, of course, but as you so rightly said, she needs to start growing a thick skin for the next time and time after that. Stop hiding behind hubby and stand up for yourself.

Like you I hardly ever send friend requests (maybe once or twice) in February 2013.
  • aprilsibley
    aprilsibley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    While the manager was very very rude, kudos for your husband for being so supportive of you!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    1) I don't remember this scene from Pretty Woman at all. I remember a prostitute being treated like a prostitute by snobby sales girls, but no overweight people?
    2) I'm wondering why you didn't just ask for the name brand you'd found online during your research. Especially if you felt someone was already focusing on your "belly" and weight, I personally would never respond to a visual attack on my appearance by giving someone, anyone (manager or not) more ammo by using words like jiggly and etc. I'd just ask for the name brand in my size. Perhaps that's what he meant by "more specific".
    3) You seem really proud and happy with your D!cks's shopping excursion but that was really just facilitated by hubby's hand-holding, no? I really think you are overthinking things and walking into the store expecting therapy/cheerleading/commiserating/diagnosing rather than shopping help of the "can I help you find something" variety which is really all there is out there these days since the economy turned. If you need that much help after you're online research go to a store that caters more to people, it will cost more money but they will help you work out your problems questions with less attitude and more of an eye on the ball/dollar. You can't rely on your husband to go with you to buy everything. For now though until you develop the moxy to go it alone, he is your hero of the day and as such deserves a BJ. :flowerforhim: :flowerforyou:

1) I'm not sure how a prostitute is treated, if you don't mean "paid money for sex." In Pretty Woman, a customer was belittled by sales girls based on their assumptions of her profession.
    2) You would expect the salespeople at a clothing store to know if they have a section for support apparel. Based on my (rare) shopping experiences, I would have told the OP that the clothing was organized by brand and that she'd have to look at the different styles in each brand to find what she needed. I don't know why a manager couldn't articulate that or ask her if she was looking for a specific brand.
    3) She was looking for somebody to help her find something - supportive sports apparel. What she got was attitude. In a bad economy, stores should be emphasizing customer service in order to draw our dollars. They lost that sale to a competitor and they should know about it.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i stopped reading here.
    i suspect that he, like me, has no desire to know you at all.

but here, have a flower! :flowerforyou:

You from Texas by an chance? LOL
    the colonies? no, i'm afraid i'm english.
  • scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options
    The manager had no right to treat you rudely, that's first and foremost. He should have helped you find what you were looking for.

BUT, just to give him the benefit of the doubt for WORD CHOICE...perhaps he meant "every day" workout wear meaning they didn't carry the specific "specialty" running gear (or brand) you were looking for? Of course, if that's what he meant, he still should have taken the time to show you what they DO carry...not just wave his hand around the workout gear area.

I'm sorry you were treated badly, and I'm glad your husband was there to help you pick yourself up. I would definitely call or write the store (or corporate) with how you were treated.
  • Lish1234
    Lish1234 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    AH what a total jerk. I hope their business goes under for being so judgmental.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    SAH, i just want to point out that there are people who get a holier than thou ''for their own good'' kick out of being toxic. they self justify self important cattiness by pretending they're trying to help. they're not. and they're almost always wrong.

pity them for feeling the need to behave that way and for being too blind acknowledge their own vindictive motivations.

In...

...to try to figure out who is truly being "holier than thou".
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    SAH, i just want to point out that there are people who get a holier than thou ''for their own good'' kick out of being toxic. they self justify self important cattiness by pretending they're trying to help. they're not. and they're almost always wrong.

pity them for feeling the need to behave that way and for being too blind acknowledge their own vindictive motivations.

In...

it won't be me! i'm a self confessed a-hole.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i stopped reading here.

I need some popcorn, I feel like I'm watching something I've always wondered about. How the "other half" mates.
  • PoopieMonster
    PoopieMonster Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have never been so humiliated and all I was trying to do was reward myself by building up the confidence to go into a sports store and splurge on all new nike running gear and that's when a horrible person tried to bring me down.:grumble:
    I have never ever been one to be a runner and yet alone actually buy any type of apparel that contributes to it but after 5 months of bulding up my endurance with cardio and losing 35 pounds I was literally swimming in my old sweats and t shirts and wasn't able to keep them from dragging. Although im still a ways from my goal this is a great beginning for me. My husband decided to surprise me and take me to buy some actual running capris, sports bra, top etc. I was so excited being that I have never owned anything like that due to fear of what I would look like in it, paying that amount for exercise clothes when failing at all other diets and just the overall courage of walking into a sports store asking for help and what I should buy and if I could even fit in it!
    Two days ago my hubby took me into sports authority after I did research on some gear online that way I saved myself any less humiliation of being completely clueless of what im looking for. I started looking around as my hubby shopped with the kids in another dept. and noticed there was nobody else in store besides employees which was a plus! I then see an employee which seemed to be the manager walking down the isle and he asks me if Im finding everything ok and I got the courage and asked him I actually need help on finding some new running capris. As I came around the rack he stopped and looked at my stomach and my body up and down and started to walk away saying well you need to be more specific and already I felt like I had been kicked in gut the way he looked at me in disgust. He wasn't young either he was late 40's/50 so I expected a little more maturity. I told him something that helps a little with jiggeling and comfort when running although I know nothing will completely prevent it. He then tells me " uh we don't carry anything in this store like that" I was very confused because of details on the clothes I read online I knew they had something in such but at this point I realized he just didn't want to help me or thinking I wouldn't fit in anything. I even told him im a size large/xl. He then tells me while hand gesturing at all the workout clothes that "all we have here is stuff for everyday use" as if I don't workout everyday.He then walked to the front cashiers and started arguing with his own employees about scheduling. Very unprofessional! I know im not over reacting being such a sensitive subject to me but the way he talked was so rude as well as body language. He wouldn't recommend nor try to show me anything else. I just stood there so upset and went and got my husband and said lets leave now! It was like the scene from pretty women, I swear!! I usually can handle my own but I was so hurt and felt so little after going in a feeling so proud Ive even come this far! Then of course hubby is wanting to know what happened and becomes extremely upset and I refused to tell him what happened till we already left. I didn't want anything else to escalate. After telling him the story He gave me so much support and talked me out of the emabarrasment and then decided to take me to ****s sporting goods. At first I didn't want to but he said he would be right there with me. Well after visiting that store my whole attitude changed! The employees treated me with so much respect, didn't look at me differently and I found everything I needed including the same running pants I saw at sports authority and even cheaper! It worked out great, I got what I needed and more and gave all my business to a well deserved company. I will never go to sports authority again and highly recommend ****s sporting goods to everyone. I tried emailing sports authority and of course no email address on website to contact or atleast none that I saw and tried calling customer service and was on hold for 5 min and never spoke with anyone and I didn't want to waste any more of my time with them. After all that It did become a success story after being that I got my gear and actually fit into something nice to workout in. Sorry I had to vent but im still proud to how far Ive came and understand theres gunna be bumps on the road but that's just making me stronger and I will not let nothing nor anyone bring me down and that's what I call success!! :happy:

1) I don't remember this scene from Pretty Woman at all. I remember a prostitute being treated like a prostitute by snobby sales girls, but no overweight people?
    2) I'm wondering why you didn't just ask for the name brand you'd found online during your research. Especially if you felt someone was already focusing on your "belly" and weight, I personally would never respond to a visual attack on my appearance by giving someone, anyone (manager or not) more ammo by using words like jiggly and etc. I'd just ask for the name brand in my size. Perhaps that's what he meant by "more specific".
    3) You seem really proud and happy with your D!cks's shopping excursion but that was really just facilitated by hubby's hand-holding, no? I really think you are overthinking things and walking into the store expecting therapy/cheerleading/commiserating/diagnosing rather than shopping help of the "can I help you find something" variety which is really all there is out there these days since the economy turned. If you need that much help after you're online research go to a store that caters more to people, it will cost more money but they will help you work out your problems questions with less attitude and more of an eye on the ball/dollar. You can't rely on your husband to go with you to buy everything. For now though until you develop the moxy to go it alone, he is your hero of the day and as such deserves a BJ. :flowerforhim: :flowerforyou:

If people thought more like you and less like the OP the world would be a much more tolerable place for everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Either shake it off or complain to SA.

There's not much anyone here can do other than let you vent.

And try paragraphs next time. Please.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

In...

Odd...your post was the impetus for my posting that. I was going to include "catty" and "vindictive" to my list of possible outcomes, but felt like I was just piling on.

I hope that whatever it is you're dealing with in your personal life gets better.

Oh, and here: :flowerforyou:

Edit: because a word apparently fell out of my post before it made it to the MFP servers.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    i stopped reading here.

Colonies! LOL I love it.

My apologies maam. We have a sayin down here. Never ask a fella where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell ya, and if he's not, why embarrass him?
  • glovepuppet
    Options

In...

Odd...your post was the impetus for my posting that. I was going to include "catty" and "vindictive" to my list of possible outcomes, but felt like I was just piling on.

I hope that whatever it is you're dealing in your personal life gets better.

and two for you :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    i stopped reading here.

Colonies! LOL I love it.

My apologies maam. We have a sayin down here. Never ask a fella where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell ya, and if he's not, why embarrass him?
    ha! y'all are funny.

it could be worse. i could be northern.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, that really sucks. You handled it well, way better than I would have and your husband was great too. I agree with others, go up the chain directly to the CEO and write a real letter as well as an email. Even second rate companies like them take that stuff seriously, especially if you mention that you went elsewhere and got treated like a human being and will encourage everyone you know to take their sporting goods needs there.

Remember there are more good people out there than idiots like him. Congrats on your weight loss. I'm down 35 lbs too and have started running and understand the jiggling and how awkward things can be.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

In...

I hope that whatever it is you're dealing in your personal life gets better.

and two for you :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Glovepuppet, youve captivated my heart. When I get out of prison wanna be my woman?
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you were treated like that--that is completely unreasonable and way to bring down your awesome NSV. I would actually put this entire letter on the Sports Authority facebook page. (not to nitpick, but paragraph breaks will make it a little easier to read). If you're not comfortable doing that, maybe a short summary.

I've found that often, corporate will contact you to find out about your experience and try to make it right. I used to work in customer service and we would have been horrified to see a customer treated that way (what's even better is that you're able to show them clearly that they lost your business since you went to D-ick's.)

^^AGREED

+1! Sorry he was such a douchenozzle. I hope you do contact them and report him. Fantastic NSV! :flowerforyou:

I agree! Often this kind of thing is a problem with a particular store or individual employee, and most companies would be grateful to have the chance to make it right. Not only is this guy a total jerk, that is bad business!

I'm so sorry you were embarrassed by his rude and insulting actions, and so glad you have your hubby and the great new workout duds! Rock them!
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    Glovepuppet, youve captivated my heart. When I get out of prison wanna be my woman?
    well i am adorable.

how long am i expected to wait though? 25 years is taking a long engagement too far.
  • SAHMommy81
    SAHMommy81 Posts: 11
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    I pick and choose my own battles and I can handle A lot of criticism. Im not here looking for sympathy and If you really understood the topic you would understand that this a success story.I took this and it made me stronger on something that I admit is my weakness. Do not take my weakness for granted for I am stronger at other things such as laughing at some of the nonsense that comes out of others mouths. Thank you for your entertaining words and I hope you find yourself a husband that loves you for you as well and not have to reward him with sexual activities each time he does something nice for u and if you are married and that's the only way u can get ur husband to do something nice for you then to each its own! You have urself a keeper!! Obviously your looking into the movie pretty women to far and you feel that I need to give a "bj" for my husband saying I love you then your on the wrong website and ur battling other things besides weight issues and I wish you the best of luck getting the help you need as well. I appreciate your concern but some things you should keep to yourself especially if you think its going to upset someone when u truley think ur really helping them. I worked in customer service myself for many years and would never degrade another human being just from being brought up by showing respect to others even if I was having a bad day. I loved my shopping experience at D!cks sporting store and recommend it to others. I walked into that store looking for common courtesy just as all should expect and be treated as a shopper not looking for therapy sweety. I feel sorry for the man who had to be so rude to someone he didn't know just to make himself feel better just as I do for you. You being a prior "cheerleader" as you stated wouldn't like to be known as the typical stereotype of having to give "Bjs' to the ones who played good and wouldn't appreciate the ones who would say that so I dont appreciate you thinking that's what I need to do so being the "cheerleader" u were help others by continuing to cheer on their success rather then talk not so lady like . Im sure your a sweet girl who has good intentions and wanted to help and as a matter of fact you did, you made me smile! Thanks oh and btw before posting your replies please understand the story before assuming because I don't need by husband to hold my hand to shop, it was a gift from him and men do stand by and support their wives. Its okay im sure you were so caught up in the moment making yourself feel good by critiquing everything I wrote! You have your way of how you would of handled it just as everyone else has their ways they would have and that's the way I dealt with mine. Thank you for your time! Now if It wasn't a weight issue and I was just dealing with pure ignorance then Im sure the only thing my husband would of been doing would of been dragging me out of the store for I would of handled that situation just fine myself.:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!