rewarded myself by being humiliated....

Options

Replies

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Here's their e-mail for corporate customerservice@thesportsauthority.com

That's the route I would take. Actually, I would call corporate and ask for a supervisor. I would NOT go into the store and cause a scene. Why would anyone stoop to that guy's level?

I also wouldn't assume he blew you off because your size. I think he blew you off because he was hell bent on yelling at the cashier about scheduling, and he was annoyed that he actually had to talk to a customer first. That's probably the scheduling problem ... no one scheduled to work on the sales floor!

eta: I've always been treated very well at Sports Authority. Obviously all locations are different, but other businesses shouldn't take the brunt of the jerky manager's store. LOL @ D*i*c*k*s.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you didn't let some idiot stop you from persuing your quest for running gear. I have been lucky and never come accross that kind of discrimination. I know you will enjoy having the right clothing for running. I love my capris so much I got a second, summer weight pair. As someone else suggested, post your experience on their FB page so people know there is a jerk at that store and to stay away. Keep up the great work and be proud of yourself.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would also contact them via twitter i have had some good response that way with some companys
    @SportsAuthority
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that dude was a *kitten*! It can be VERY intimidating getting sports gear and to be treated like is ridiculous. Please write a review like everyone else suggested because they need to know what kind of people they are hiring.

I am happy you were able to get what you need and get a better experience and your husband does indeed rock!
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would jump on their facebook page and post exactly what you wrote here!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you were treated like that--that is completely unreasonable and way to bring down your awesome NSV. I would actually put this entire letter on the Sports Authority facebook page. (not to nitpick, but paragraph breaks will make it a little easier to read). If you're not comfortable doing that, maybe a short summary.

I've found that often, corporate will contact you to find out about your experience and try to make it right. I used to work in customer service and we would have been horrified to see a customer treated that way (what's even better is that you're able to show them clearly that they lost your business since you went to D-ick's.)

This ^^ That manager might not care about you now, but he will once corporate hears your story.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    give your hubby a big hug - he sounds great.

as for that idiot? there are mean and stupid people everywhere, not just in junior high. I'm sorry you were treated so badly. I was in sports authority once, and had a very positive experience (I am obese and the sales people were all young and fit and thin). I like the idea about contacting corporate about this.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I tried emailing sports authority and of course no email address on website to contact or atleast none that I saw and tried calling customer service and was on hold for 5 min and never spoke with anyone and I didn't want to waste any more of my time with them. After all that It did become a success story after being that I got my gear and actually fit into something nice to workout in. Sorry I had to vent but im still proud to how far Ive came and understand theres gunna be bumps on the road but that's just making me stronger and I will not let nothing nor anyone bring me down and that's what I call success!! :happy:
    Print out your letter and send it to:
    Darrell Webb, CEO
    The Sports Authority
    1050 W. Hampden
    Englewood, CO USA 80110
    Phone: 888-801-9164

Be sure to cc and send a copy to: - Paul Gaudet, Executive Vice President/Store Operations
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    your hubby was right on - so glad you have someone supportive! keep going pretty woman!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    your hubby was right on - so glad you have someone supportive! keep going pretty woman!

this is the reason so many people feel so entitled nowadays. everyone just cheerleaders everyone to death and doesn't point out areas for improvement. (this coming from a former cheerleader). *smh* When you constantly and ONLY support people and don't have the nerve/spine to actually point out where someone might benefit from seeing things differently, it just makes that person stay the same and continue to have the same problems and now even have a chip on their shoulder from all the people who "supported" their skewed thought process that is hindering their IRL social encounters. I hope you are able to read what I'm telling you as "from a friend" or "for your own good" or "empowering" or "from one woman to another" perspective. Please take what I say as it's meant. Just helpful. Not mean or pissing in your cheerios.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It made me sad to read this. i know i would be embarassed but so furious at the same time! i am so glad your husband was there for you, and very helpful. sounds like a great support system you got there!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    1) I don't remember this scene from Pretty Woman at all. I remember a prostitute being treated like a prostitute by snobby sales girls, but no overweight people?
    2) I'm wondering why you didn't just ask for the name brand you'd found online during your research. Especially if you felt someone was already focusing on your "belly" and weight, I personally would never respond to a visual attack on my appearance by giving someone, anyone (manager or not) more ammo by using words like jiggly and etc. I'd just ask for the name brand in my size. Perhaps that's what he meant by "more specific".
    3) You seem really proud and happy with your D!cks's shopping excursion but that was really just facilitated by hubby's hand-holding, no? I really think you are overthinking things and walking into the store expecting therapy/cheerleading/commiserating/diagnosing rather than shopping help of the "can I help you find something" variety which is really all there is out there these days since the economy turned. If you need that much help after you're online research go to a store that caters more to people, it will cost more money but they will help you work out your problems questions with less attitude and more of an eye on the ball/dollar. You can't rely on your husband to go with you to buy everything. For now though until you develop the moxy to go it alone, he is your hero of the day and as such deserves a BJ. :flowerforhim: :flowerforyou:
    flower? after spouting that you think a flower makes it ok?
  • SAHMommy81
    SAHMommy81 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank u sooooooooo much for this info!! Im going to def. send a letter!!! This really helped!!! Even if this "manager" was having a bad day gives him no right to degrade someone. That's part of his job is working under stress and be good examples to other employees. Everyone handles criticism in different ways and I thank God I have my family and friends and support on MFP to help not let it get to me as bad but someone out there might not have that support and going through the same thing and that 1 time to be so hurtful to someone is all it takes to really discourage them and they lose their motivation. thanks again!!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have never been so humiliated and all I was trying to do was reward myself by building up the confidence to go into a sports store and splurge on all new nike running gear and that's when a horrible person tried to bring me down.:grumble:
    I have never ever been one to be a runner and yet alone actually buy any type of apparel that contributes to it but after 5 months of bulding up my endurance with cardio and losing 35 pounds I was literally swimming in my old sweats and t shirts and wasn't able to keep them from dragging. Although im still a ways from my goal this is a great beginning for me. My husband decided to surprise me and take me to buy some actual running capris, sports bra, top etc. I was so excited being that I have never owned anything like that due to fear of what I would look like in it, paying that amount for exercise clothes when failing at all other diets and just the overall courage of walking into a sports store asking for help and what I should buy and if I could even fit in it!
    Two days ago my hubby took me into sports authority after I did research on some gear online that way I saved myself any less humiliation of being completely clueless of what im looking for. I started looking around as my hubby shopped with the kids in another dept. and noticed there was nobody else in store besides employees which was a plus! I then see an employee which seemed to be the manager walking down the isle and he asks me if Im finding everything ok and I got the courage and asked him I actually need help on finding some new running capris. As I came around the rack he stopped and looked at my stomach and my body up and down and started to walk away saying well you need to be more specific and already I felt like I had been kicked in gut the way he looked at me in disgust. He wasn't young either he was late 40's/50 so I expected a little more maturity. I told him something that helps a little with jiggeling and comfort when running although I know nothing will completely prevent it. He then tells me " uh we don't carry anything in this store like that" I was very confused because of details on the clothes I read online I knew they had something in such but at this point I realized he just didn't want to help me or thinking I wouldn't fit in anything. I even told him im a size large/xl. He then tells me while hand gesturing at all the workout clothes that "all we have here is stuff for everyday use" as if I don't workout everyday.He then walked to the front cashiers and started arguing with his own employees about scheduling. Very unprofessional! I know im not over reacting being such a sensitive subject to me but the way he talked was so rude as well as body language. He wouldn't recommend nor try to show me anything else. I just stood there so upset and went and got my husband and said lets leave now! It was like the scene from pretty women, I swear!! I usually can handle my own but I was so hurt and felt so little after going in a feeling so proud Ive even come this far! Then of course hubby is wanting to know what happened and becomes extremely upset and I refused to tell him what happened till we already left. I didn't want anything else to escalate. After telling him the story He gave me so much support and talked me out of the emabarrasment and then decided to take me to ****s sporting goods. At first I didn't want to but he said he would be right there with me. Well after visiting that store my whole attitude changed! The employees treated me with so much respect, didn't look at me differently and I found everything I needed including the same running pants I saw at sports authority and even cheaper! It worked out great, I got what I needed and more and gave all my business to a well deserved company. I will never go to sports authority again and highly recommend ****s sporting goods to everyone. I tried emailing sports authority and of course no email address on website to contact or atleast none that I saw and tried calling customer service and was on hold for 5 min and never spoke with anyone and I didn't want to waste any more of my time with them. After all that It did become a success story after being that I got my gear and actually fit into something nice to workout in. Sorry I had to vent but im still proud to how far Ive came and understand theres gunna be bumps on the road but that's just making me stronger and I will not let nothing nor anyone bring me down and that's what I call success!! :happy:

You need to make it like the scene from pretty women!

When you hit Goal weight march back into that store and say

"Do you remember me?"
    "No I'm sorry"
    "I was in here yesterday, you wouldn't wait on me, you work on comission right? BIG MISTAKE!! Huge!... I have to go shopping now"

Hell I'l come with you and sing pretty women as you do it!!

Lmbo!!!! Yeah!!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    SAH, i just want to point out that there are people who get a holier than thou ''for their own good'' kick out of being toxic. they self justify self important cattiness by pretending they're trying to help. they're not. and they're almost always wrong.

pity them for feeling the need to behave that way and for being too blind acknowledge their own vindictive motivations.
  • jjbink
    jjbink Posts: 2
    Options
    Way to Go! I wish I could just find the ease to stay on the whole fitness bandwagon. I want to lose about 20 lbs, and have been struggling. I don't consider myself fat by no means, especially since after having 2 kids I can still fit into my pants from my senior year of high school! I am a way proud mama for that myself.

Keep up the great work! I don't think we have a Sports Authority here in WI, but I wouldn't go there after hearing about this. I don't care for MC Sports either, they are fairly high in price, and when you look for someone for some help, they are no where to be found.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You should write a review on yelp.com calling them out. Worker might not read it, but I guarantee it will deter potential future customers.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have never been so humiliated and all I was trying to do was reward myself by building up the confidence to go into a sports store and splurge on all new nike running gear and that's when a horrible person tried to bring me down.:grumble:
    I have never ever been one to be a runner and yet alone actually buy any type of apparel that contributes to it but after 5 months of bulding up my endurance with cardio and losing 35 pounds I was literally swimming in my old sweats and t shirts and wasn't able to keep them from dragging. Although im still a ways from my goal this is a great beginning for me. My husband decided to surprise me and take me to buy some actual running capris, sports bra, top etc. I was so excited being that I have never owned anything like that due to fear of what I would look like in it, paying that amount for exercise clothes when failing at all other diets and just the overall courage of walking into a sports store asking for help and what I should buy and if I could even fit in it!
    Two days ago my hubby took me into sports authority after I did research on some gear online that way I saved myself any less humiliation of being completely clueless of what im looking for. I started looking around as my hubby shopped with the kids in another dept. and noticed there was nobody else in store besides employees which was a plus! I then see an employee which seemed to be the manager walking down the isle and he asks me if Im finding everything ok and I got the courage and asked him I actually need help on finding some new running capris. As I came around the rack he stopped and looked at my stomach and my body up and down and started to walk away saying well you need to be more specific and already I felt like I had been kicked in gut the way he looked at me in disgust. He wasn't young either he was late 40's/50 so I expected a little more maturity. I told him something that helps a little with jiggeling and comfort when running although I know nothing will completely prevent it. He then tells me " uh we don't carry anything in this store like that" I was very confused because of details on the clothes I read online I knew they had something in such but at this point I realized he just didn't want to help me or thinking I wouldn't fit in anything. I even told him im a size large/xl. He then tells me while hand gesturing at all the workout clothes that "all we have here is stuff for everyday use" as if I don't workout everyday.He then walked to the front cashiers and started arguing with his own employees about scheduling. Very unprofessional! I know im not over reacting being such a sensitive subject to me but the way he talked was so rude as well as body language. He wouldn't recommend nor try to show me anything else. I just stood there so upset and went and got my husband and said lets leave now! It was like the scene from pretty women, I swear!! I usually can handle my own but I was so hurt and felt so little after going in a feeling so proud Ive even come this far! Then of course hubby is wanting to know what happened and becomes extremely upset and I refused to tell him what happened till we already left. I didn't want anything else to escalate. After telling him the story He gave me so much support and talked me out of the emabarrasment and then decided to take me to ****s sporting goods. At first I didn't want to but he said he would be right there with me. Well after visiting that store my whole attitude changed! The employees treated me with so much respect, didn't look at me differently and I found everything I needed including the same running pants I saw at sports authority and even cheaper! It worked out great, I got what I needed and more and gave all my business to a well deserved company. I will never go to sports authority again and highly recommend ****s sporting goods to everyone. I tried emailing sports authority and of course no email address on website to contact or atleast none that I saw and tried calling customer service and was on hold for 5 min and never spoke with anyone and I didn't want to waste any more of my time with them. After all that It did become a success story after being that I got my gear and actually fit into something nice to workout in. Sorry I had to vent but im still proud to how far Ive came and understand theres gunna be bumps on the road but that's just making me stronger and I will not let nothing nor anyone bring me down and that's what I call success!! :happy:

1) I don't remember this scene from Pretty Woman at all. I remember a prostitute being treated like a prostitute by snobby sales girls, but no overweight people?
    2) I'm wondering why you didn't just ask for the name brand you'd found online during your research. Especially if you felt someone was already focusing on your "belly" and weight, I personally would never respond to a visual attack on my appearance by giving someone, anyone (manager or not) more ammo by using words like jiggly and etc. I'd just ask for the name brand in my size. Perhaps that's what he meant by "more specific".
    3) You seem really proud and happy with your D!cks's shopping excursion but that was really just facilitated by hubby's hand-holding, no? I really think you are overthinking things and walking into the store expecting therapy/cheerleading/commiserating/diagnosing rather than shopping help of the "can I help you find something" variety which is really all there is out there these days since the economy turned. If you need that much help after you're online research go to a store that caters more to people, it will cost more money but they will help you work out your problems questions with less attitude and more of an eye on the ball/dollar. You can't rely on your husband to go with you to buy everything. For now though until you develop the moxy to go it alone, he is your hero of the day and as such deserves a BJ. :flowerforhim: :flowerforyou:

MyChocolateDiet: I totally agree with your comments
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation happen. I was getting new shoes and the men at the store (a shoe store) decided to wait on the skinny woman instead of the chubby one (me). She even walked in after me, and one of the employees had already acknowledged that he would be with me as soon as he finished with his current customer.

I called corporate. And I would recommend you do something like that. There is absolutely no reason for you (or anyone) to be treated like that! I'm so sorry he was such a douchecanoe!

But it sounds like you have an amazing and supportive husband!!!
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Glad you found the stuff you needed, and congrats on your weight loss! He sounds like somebody who hates his job and isn't putting out any effort. Sometimes people are dealing with their own stuff, are immature, and end up taking it out on others.

People see the outside, and they have no idea what that person is going through. Everybody should be treated well, and that guy should have been professional. Go ahead and write a letter if that helps to make you feel better, and don't let his negativity affect you. I'm sure you're in better shape than him, and you could easily outrun him. :wink: *hugs*
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!