"Cheese is not meant for human consumption"

Options

Replies

• millzy64
    millzy64 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Painfully sharp Vermont cheddar, a glass of Port and a good cigar. The perfect combination for my consumption. To each his own.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Any absolute statements such as this can immediately be disregarded.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Any absolute statements such as this can immediately be disregarded.

Any time someone tries to convince me the way things are "meant to be," I get really suspicious.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Whether humans are capable of enjoying the taste... or capable of digesting it...or powerful enough over cows to steal it... is a different question from whether milk and milk products are MEANT for us. They are meant for the babies of the animals that produce them.

You could then argue that no food is MEANT for us. Those strawberries? They're there for birds and small mammals to eat, because they then poop out the seeds to make more strawberry plants. The wheat in that bread? Same thing, it's actually meant for small mammals. The yeast in bread? Not meant for us either, just something that wants to multiply. Seeds, like sunflower seeds? Their purpose is to fall to the ground to make more sunflowers. Even if you argue that eating fruit could be for us because we defecate too (though no longer onto the ground) seeds can't survive if we chew them, which we do for sunflower seeds and things like pomegranate.
    I think that any food that we can eat that doesn't kill us can be meant for us.

Exactly. That's what it means to be an omnivore. We're just particularly clever omnivores who have worked out how to make other foods from the ones nature provided.

Also, cheese is awesome. And as someone of Dutch descent, I will argue till my dying breath that I am genetically adapted to eat lots of it.

You might be on to something...

hem1217ruht1.jpg

From nature.com

Although as others have pointed out, there isn't all that much lactose in cheese itself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Afura wrote: »
    I didn't read all the comments, so I apologize, I had read this awhile back, and it makes sense to me. I'm not saying I'm giving up cheese, because Cheesus knows I love cheese.
    https://support.amazingdiscoveries.org/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/296/0/why-shouldnt-we-eat-cheese

TLDR version - Our bodies are not properly able to process cheese and it can affect us in ways that are immediately noticeable and not so much.

To your coworker, I say "Fantastic, more for me"
    I am thankful my ancestors mutated so I can consume cheese (and other milk products).

Heh, I feel the same way.

And I source my dairy (for the most part) from farms that I feel okay about, just like I do my eggs and meat. (I buy yogurt from the store mostly, usually Fage, sometimes others like Siggi.)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Brent2Bfit wrote: »
    I know there have been studies on Far East cultures, and Japanese specifically, that note their much lower level of dairy consumption (higher last several decades) and their better health than, say, Americans. I'm not sure of any specifics that actually tied these two together conclusively, though. Having said that, it's pretty obvious that most cheeses have a high fat and calorie content. Also having said that, I've always thought almost anything is okay in moderation. I love my cheese. Woooo.

Yes, the milk is naturally and foremost meant for the baby calf but mankind has selectively bred a milk monster in today's dairy cows. If you ever saw firsthand some of the problems these poor creatures go through due to being bred for a single purpose - you'd be shocked. We humans always go overboard with everything. I've seen farmers actually use come-alongs winches to pull out newborn calves due to some of the inherent birthing problems. I'm glad to see some of the old breeds being brought back, even if less prolific. I'm a rice milk or almond milk kind of guy - but I do love delicious cheese. Yum.

This is me as well. The treatment of the animals bothers me terribly. Not much I can do about it. I don't drink regular milk. Just switched to cashew milk instead of almond or soy milk, but I do still eat cheese.

You can refuse to give your money and support to those who engage in it. Those who engage in this behavior do it for our money. They require our support. We can't change the world, but we can change our own behavior.

Definitely! And I do avoid contributing monitarily or supporting it in any way. I just didn't want to bring my own ethics into this thread. But I agree with you.
  • BackInTheSaddle13
    BackInTheSaddle13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There is (or was haven't been for awhile) a chocolate bar in St Louis. The majority of their menu is obviously based around chocolate but they also have these gourmet cheese, fruit, and bread trays. HOLY COW! Literally. Must be a divine cow that produces the milk these cheeses are made from. Absolutely amazing with a chocolate cocktail! This does nothing to add to this thread but just felt the need to comment! ;):p
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Someone just said this to me. I love hard cheese. But I also love a lot of things this person doesn't, as they avoid entire food groups including dairy. I also love research/studies. So... discuss.

Why is cheese meant or not meant for human consumption?
    What studies are available that I can review on this topic?

Thanks. :)

I'm going on a stretch here and guessing this statement was made by someone of the First World?

Please have them relocate to the Third World for a few years and lets review their views on "what mankind was meant for".
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup, Rwanda is a hot spot. The Tutsi people have drunk milk from their cattle (status symbol and source of life and health) for many generations. My son-in-law has prepared the traditional drink by souring milk first. A sensible precaution, considering refrigeration is a fairly modern accessory.

ef11a93cfe492d09271dd8d32c769361.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What about kumis, is that meant for human consumption?
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know there have been studies on Far East cultures, and Japanese specifically, that note their much lower level of dairy consumption (higher last several decades) and their better health than, say, Americans. I'm not sure of any specifics that actually tied these two together conclusively, though. Having said that, it's pretty obvious that most cheeses have a high fat and calorie content. Also having said that, I've always thought almost anything is okay in moderation. I love my cheese. Woooo.

Yes, the milk is naturally and foremost meant for the baby calf but mankind has selectively bred a milk monster in today's dairy cows. If you ever saw firsthand some of the problems these poor creatures go through due to being bred for a single purpose - you'd be shocked. We humans always go overboard with everything. I've seen farmers actually use come-alongs winches to pull out newborn calves due to some of the inherent birthing problems. I'm glad to see some of the old breeds being brought back, even if less prolific. I'm a rice milk or almond milk kind of guy - but I do love delicious cheese. Yum.

This is me as well. The treatment of the animals bothers me terribly. Not much I can do about it. I don't drink regular milk. Just switched to cashew milk instead of almond or soy milk, but I do still eat cheese.

You can refuse to give your money and support to those who engage in it. Those who engage in this behavior do it for our money. They require our support. We can't change the world, but we can change our own behavior.

*OR* you could support a local small farm that treats their animals humanely and with respect. Wouldn't that make more sense? Reward those who are doing it well and perhaps more will follow?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »

*OR* you could support a local small farm that treats their animals humanely and with respect. Wouldn't that make more sense? Reward those who are doing it well and perhaps more will follow?

I don't know of any local small farms that don't separate cows from calves. I don't know of any that don't sell calves for meat (even if some are retained for dairy and breeding). I don't know of any farms that support cows with declining production for the duration of their lives instead of slaughtering them. There may be such farms somewhere in the world, but not in my area. And probably not in the areas of most people.

Other people may be comfortable supporting those actions and I'm not trying to derail this thread into a larger debate. I don't consider those actions compatible with humane treatment or respect, so I choose not to support them. If you consider those actions compatible with humane treatment and respect, you may choose to support them.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't care. I'm eating it. I love it.

• kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yup, Rwanda is a hot spot. The Tutsi people have drunk milk from their cattle (status symbol and source of life and health) for many generations. My son-in-law has prepared the traditional drink by souring milk first. A sensible precaution, considering refrigeration is a fairly modern accessory.

ef11a93cfe492d09271dd8d32c769361.jpg

Is that your son-in-law? What kind of cattle are those? They make my family's longhorns look....sad.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Of course cheese is meant for human consumption. How else would you be able to eat a grilled cheese sandwich?

tumblr_nj7daf36WH1sr1r7zo1_250.gif

Or have the obligatory super bowl cheese ball?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kgB-WxyFJg
  • jgnatca
    Options
    More about Rwandan cattle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankole-Watusi

That's a picture of a former King of Rwanda, so my son-in-law would be related (2nd or 3rd cousin, something like that).
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

I grew up on a dairy farm....birthing problems are not a result of bad breeding (usually.) All females that give birth face risks associated with complications. Using a come-a-long on a cow is much safer for her and the calf than doing a c-section. I personally cannot birth my babies naturally because while the outside of my hip bones are wide the inner opening of my pelvis is too narrow to pass a baby (found this out after being in labor for 2 freaking days with my first baby) Is that a result of "bad breeding?" Nope. It's just an inherent risk of being a woman.

BTW...I love cheese....I love cheese so much!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Taste outweighs morality at least 8 times out of 10.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I am sure there is more than taste going on. There's texture, and satiety.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I suppose if you look at it this way - We are the only species on earth that continue to have milk/dairy after we are weened.

Do we need it? Probably not.
    Do we want it? Hell yeh!!

If it's available, many species of animals will happily drink milk or eat cheese.

Cats, dogs, mice, rats, coyotes, racoons, ...

I mean, if a horse will drink a beer from a bottle or eat a duckling - and I've seen both happen without human encouragement - isn't it clear diets are pretty much down to availability, what seems tasty, and what will/won't kill you?

I have a dog who knows that he is getting milk after I am done milking my goat. Twice a day, rain or shine, he gets his milk and, if I seem as if I am forgetting it, he will try to block my way out of the gate. He's all grown up and doesn't need it, either. All of my dogs love their milk, cheese, and whey.

There's a misconception, mostly put forth by the vegan community, that it's unnatural to consume the milk of other species. To my knowlege humans are the only species that does it however I have heard of zoo and other animal rescues crossing species to save animals, etc. However just because we are the only ones that routinely do it does not make it wrong. We have evolved to be true omnivores. I even have a problem with my fellow Paleo peeps saying our ancestors would not have drank other species milk...do you really think that if our hunter-gatherer ancesters killed a lactating animal for thier meat they would have just dumped out the milk? Nope...all part of eating nose to tail.

What most vegans won't tell you is that even animals we classify as herbivores aren't completely herbivorous. Horses and deer will eat eggs and even baby birds out of nests built on the ground. Most mammals, including herbivores, will eat the placenta of their offspring. Yes, it stimulates the production of milk, but they would not do so if they could not digest the placenta.

Just curious, based on the relative size, weight, and strength of the cow and the human and assuming the farmer is not equipped to do a cesarean section, how do you propose to resolve the problem? Or do you just let the calf and/or cow die? Why are farmers supposed to refrain from using the equipment that would enable the to do their jobs considering, you know, pretty much everything we eat comes from one kind of farm or another and we live in a modern world?