Vegan hate

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    alvina0607 wrote: »
    Usually people are fine when they learn I'm vegetarian. The problem and tension rise up when they ask why.

I never really understood why people ask for the reasoning unless they want to start a debate. Vegan? Great, we'll find something for you to eat.

Actually, we're running a festival (no vegans have register, but there are several vegetarians). I'm far more annoyed by the people who under food restrictions list a whole host of things they don't like to eat (onions, mushrooms, etc) as opposed to the vegetarians or the guy deathly allergic to nuts...

I agree completely on the second part. As I mentioned before, I gladly accommodate vegan friends and my vegetarian partner.

However, I do have something to add on the first part. I think that asking why is a legitimate question; I don't get insulted when people ask me why I tattooed myself or why I take certain meds. If I'm going to be your friend/lover or whatnot, I am going to want to know your opinions, your moral rules, your beliefs, your viewpoints, your history; if you think there is a global conspiracy against vegans or if you think that milking a cow is of the same ethical gravity as stealing kidneys from the homeless, or that "chemicals are bad for our bodies", then I want to know. Because it means we disagree very strongly on some things, and probably can not become too close. Not at all to say all vegans think that way, but I have met some who do, and my issue there is not with their veganism, but with their bizarre beliefs, technophobia, paranoia and skewed moral compass.

(Not to mention the superiority complex that sometimes occurs, like the person e a few pages back telling us we secretly all envy them.)

Still, I don't think the annoying as*****le percentages is higher than in other social subgroups, like bodybuilders, Apple fans, weaboos or whatnot. Every categorization of human beings contains a number of as*****les.

Yeah, I guess I could see a discussion between friends, but it seems that more people have issues with random acquaintances and not actual friends (because my friend is going to be someone who accepts that I'm different and doesn't constantly tell me that I'm doing something wrong and I have to be just like them).
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Usually people are fine when they learn I'm vegetarian. The problem and tension rise up when they ask why.

I never really understood why people ask for the reasoning unless they want to start a debate. Vegan? Great, we'll find something for you to eat.

Actually, we're running a festival (no vegans have register, but there are several vegetarians). I'm far more annoyed by the people who under food restrictions list a whole host of things they don't like to eat (onions, mushrooms, etc) as opposed to the vegetarians or the guy deathly allergic to nuts...

I agree completely on the second part. As I mentioned before, I gladly accommodate vegan friends and my vegetarian partner.

However, I do have something to add on the first part. I think that asking why is a legitimate question; I don't get insulted when people ask me why I tattooed myself or why I take certain meds. If I'm going to be your friend/lover or whatnot, I am going to want to know your opinions, your moral rules, your beliefs, your viewpoints, your history; if you think there is a global conspiracy against vegans or if you think that milking a cow is of the same ethical gravity as stealing kidneys from the homeless, or that "chemicals are bad for our bodies", then I want to know. Because it means we disagree very strongly on some things, and probably can not become too close. Not at all to say all vegans think that way, but I have met some who do, and my issue there is not with their veganism, but with their bizarre beliefs, technophobia, paranoia and skewed moral compass.

(Not to mention the superiority complex that sometimes occurs, like the person e a few pages back telling us we secretly all envy them.)

Still, I don't think the annoying as*****le percentages is higher than in other social subgroups, like bodybuilders, Apple fans, weaboos or whatnot. Every categorization of human beings contains a number of as*****les.

yeah, I don't understand apple fans...there are much tastier options that are FAR more nutritious per calorie.
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused by the repeated comparison of veganism and gayness in this thread. Like, are people under the impression that I made the choice to fondle boobies for humanitarian reason? Because I can assure you, I was born with these hands.

south_park_kenny_mccormick_by_dimabig-d4mf8hl.gif
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MJ_Watson wrote: »
    I'm so confused by the repeated comparison of veganism and gayness in this thread. Like, are people under the impression that I made the choice to fondle boobies for humanitarian reason? Because I can assure you, I was born with these hands.

I'm just loving the choice of gif with this post...
  • _John_
    Options

3406103-spodermen+thred.png
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

3406103-spodermen+thred.png

Wait, this thread isn't about to derail, is it?

AU8BI.gif
  • harowlands
    harowlands Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Why do people get so mad when they find out that I am vegan? Like they get really mad and tell me that people were meant to eat meat. My being vegan only comes out if I am having to order food.

I'm a vegetarian and I have been for more than 14 years and I get that reaction all the time. I also get all the stupid questions like 'do you miss meat?' ... Never liked it in the first place... At that point they seem to get offended.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Every vegan I met would always comment when I eat meat or making some type gagging noise!!!

Me I don't give a crap what you eat!!!

take out the word EVERY, you know good and well that you wouldn't know someone was vegan unless they told you, so you can't with 100% surety say EVERY vegan you met did this, because you wouldn't know unless they told you. Just like you can't say every gay person you've met because not everyone advertises they are gay. Also I am not Vegan, I just try to be fair to others and not prejudge based on a few.

Only few people I know that are vegans and yes they do this, that's why I said "every" vegan I know.

you said every vegan you have met NOT know. You have probably met people that were vegan and you didn't know. Meeting and knowing are different. Say what you mean and mean what you say if you don't want what you say to be misconstrued.
    Wow, ok whatever. LOL

Nothing to be shocked about

interestingly my 18yo stepson says "whatever" also, he does it when he doesn't want to acknowledge and take responsibility for himself or things he has said or that maybe what the other person has said has some value.
    I'm sorry you are so upset, that I didn't use the correct word. I'm tired, I been up all night not feeling that great. I'm done. :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    harowlands wrote: »
    Why do people get so mad when they find out that I am vegan? Like they get really mad and tell me that people were meant to eat meat. My being vegan only comes out if I am having to order food.

I'm a vegetarian and I have been for more than 14 years and I get that reaction all the time. I also get all the stupid questions like 'do you miss meat?' ... Never liked it in the first place... At that point they seem to get offended.

do you eat those fake sausages made out of quorn?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Every vegan I met would always comment when I eat meat or making some type gagging noise!!!

Me I don't give a crap what you eat!!!

take out the word EVERY, you know good and well that you wouldn't know someone was vegan unless they told you, so you can't with 100% surety say EVERY vegan you met did this, because you wouldn't know unless they told you. Just like you can't say every gay person you've met because not everyone advertises they are gay. Also I am not Vegan, I just try to be fair to others and not prejudge based on a few.

Only few people I know that are vegans and yes they do this, that's why I said "every" vegan I know.

you said every vegan you have met NOT know. You have probably met people that were vegan and you didn't know. Meeting and knowing are different. Say what you mean and mean what you say if you don't want what you say to be misconstrued.
    Wow, ok whatever. LOL

Nothing to be shocked about

interestingly my 18yo stepson says "whatever" also, he does it when he doesn't want to acknowledge and take responsibility for himself or things he has said or that maybe what the other person has said has some value.
    I'm sorry you are so upset, that I didn't use the correct word. I'm tired, I been up all night not feeling that great. I'm done. :)

That's ok I forgive you :wink: As you can see in this thread it is easy to misconstrue you and take your wording a different way and I get tired of people that ACTUALLY think like that. I'm sure you understand.

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    I've only done a limited search but found this article. I'll be honest to say I haven't vetted it so it could be bunk. See what you all think: http://theconversation.com/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

possibly the dumbest thing ive read today
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Then you are the minority. It is like crossfit and beach body people. The joke is, how do you know if someone is vegan (or Paleo for that matter), does crossfit, or is a beach body salesman...they tell you all the time.

• HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Combines grind up more fuzzy wuzzies harvesting soybeans and wheat than anything else.
  • _John_
    Options
    Combines grind up more fuzzy wuzzies harvesting soybeans and wheat than anything else.

huh? I would hope a farmer had a more efficient field than one that was more something else than crop...
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    I've only done a limited search but found this article. I'll be honest to say I haven't vetted it so it could be bunk. See what you all think: http://theconversation.com/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

Look, I literally have no dog in this hunt. So what's your beef? (pun intended) Do you dispute Mr. Archer's numbers/statistics or his premise that for those vegans who avoid animal products because of ethical reasons are hypocrites for not realizing that agricultural farming kills billions of sentient creatures annually? I'm honestly asking because I've had similar discussions with vegetarians and vegans who agreed, this is problematic for their cause(s) and something they struggle with ethically.

I won't even address the numerous vegetarians I know personally who have said they opted to give up eating animals because they couldn't handle being "responsible" for the deaths of innocent animals all the while wearing leather shoes, carrying leather handbags and driving cars with leather interior.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »

Look, I literally have no dog in this hunt. So what's your beef? (pun intended) Do you dispute Mr. Archer's numbers/statistics or his premise that for those vegans who avoid animal products because of ethical reasons are hypocrites for not realizing that agricultural farming kills billions of sentient creatures annually? I'm honestly asking because I've had similar discussions with vegetarians and vegans who agreed, this is problematic for their cause(s) and something they struggle with ethically.

I won't even address the numerous vegetarians I know personally who have said they opted to give up eating animals because they couldn't handle being "responsible" for the deaths of innocent animals all the while wearing leather shoes, carrying leather handbags and driving cars with leather interior.
    Haven't read the rest of the thread, just want to point out that a lot of the "agricultural farming" (is there another type?) goes to feeding livestock who will be raised in brutal conditions and then killed. So by not eating meat, you're actually minimizing the need for farming as well.

Also, I find it really ironic that the people who complain about vegans preaching at them are the same people who feel the need to tell me every pseudo-scientific reason that it's unhealthy for me to be vegan when they find out.

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'm reading a lot of "I don't get mad until somebody tells me what to do." Why do you get mad when somebody tells you what to do? How does one adult tell another adult what to do (assuming it's not in your job description or you're the wife in a very conservative Christian household). Get a grip people. You don't have to get mad, period.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I seriously do not get mad over what people eat. Or don't eat.

I DO get mad though when I follow CICO /IIFYM and I eat a donut because some slob brought those freaking irresistable Krispy Kremes to the office and I haven't had one in 4 months and I am going to the gym later today and then people go "AH HA!!! YOU'RE CHEATING ON YOUR DIET! IS THAT A GOOD CHOICE!" ha ha ha!!!

Well that didn't exactly happen that way today, I am exaggerating, but I did find myself justifying my donut a little. :tongue:

LESSON BEING....be concerned only with what you eat. Let everyone else worry about themselves...amirite?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

yeah, I don't understand apple fans...there are much tastier options that are FAR more nutritious per calorie.

have you had a honeycrisp apple? i can't find a tastier piece of fruit. i would stand in line for a week to get a chance to buy a honeycrisp apple