Vegan hate

Options

Replies

• Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you ever want to ask I am always open to dialogue about it. And since I became a vegan at a time when there wasn't as many of us I have answered all the questions at some point.
    i havent met a real life vegan before but if i do i would ask a few questions and then let them be. dont see why any rudeness needs to be involved

• paperfrost
    paperfrost Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    And to consider veganism as showing discipline, one must have an inherent belief that veganism is the better way or an accomplishment in and of itself.

The inherent value is in the discipline and dedication required for the lifestyle, not the lifestyle itself. This can cause feelings of inadequacy in people who compare themselves to others. It takes a lot to make sacrifices in the process of acting on your beliefs- I'm sure many users here have been met with confrontational or aggressive behavior when they've made commitments to such concepts as a healthier lifestyle.
  • msullivan1979
    msullivan1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    stixypix wrote: »
    It only matters if you are pushing your diet on them

this^ is what I was thinking. Perhaps they have experienced being judged by vegans for their own food choices? I personally don't care what people eat and I don't understand why someone would want to try to shame me for what I eat. That being said, when I find out someone is vegan..I still don't care either way. I sure don't get mad even though I have experienced what you have from someone who is vegan. Everyone deals with things differently though.
  • _Captivated_
    _Captivated_ Posts: 5,669 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My animals live very, very happy lives, they are very well cared for and I do not cause them any pain or suffering, ever. They are loved in life... and in death.

P.S. I lived the vegetarian lifestyle for 5 years.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    I raise adorable little goats to eat. They ARE tasty. As well as the chickens. And deer. And Turkey...

Meet Dinner. :-)

f5n5gk8z0ka1.jpg

wow what an original post ive never seen a carnivore respond this way to veganisim in all my years you must be some kind of revolutionary fighting the good fight against all evil vegans not murdering animals to satisfy their stomachs!! wow much bravery

The above? That's why people hate vegans.

• msullivan1979
    msullivan1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    [quote=Personally, I don't care if you're a vegan, vegetarian, or if you live on a diet of dirt. Do what you want to do. If people want to know more about your lifestyle, they'll ask. If they get butthurt after you tell them your SOLICITED reasons, then they're the jerks. However, if you're one of the ones who goes on a rant when no-one asks, you're the jerk.
    [/quote]

^^exactly. Nicely put.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    paperfrost wrote: »
    And to consider veganism as showing discipline, one must have an inherent belief that veganism is the better way or an accomplishment in and of itself.

The inherent value is in the discipline and dedication required for the lifestyle, not the lifestyle itself. This can cause feelings of inadequacy in people who compare themselves to others. It takes a lot to make sacrifices in the process of acting on your beliefs- I'm sure many users here have been met with confrontational or aggressive behavior when they've made commitments to such concepts as a healthier lifestyle.

Hmmmm. I just don't agree. Sorry. I don't, nor will I ever, feel guilty for not being a vegan. I don't see it as any kind of discipline that's any harder than the discipline I already practice in my life. It's presumptuous to think that people would think that way. Perhaps you do, but please don't lump us all together.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think that somewhere in people's brains, when they find out that someone is eating or doing something different than them, something whispers "they're doing it different so they obviously think their way is better than yours, therefore you are wrong" triggering a defensive response even though the first person never even said or did anything but be different.

I will say that years ago "More Vegan than You" was actually a thing - there were a group of vegans who felt and acted superior to others because their belief was that they were more enlightened than everyone because they ate no animal products, used no leather, etc. They did judge others. It has been a long time since I have come across someone like that, though.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    frootbabe wrote: »

I was with you until this comment. It's not your responsibility, nor will it ever be your responsibility, to make sure animal eaters "understand the pain involved." It's THAT mentality that turns people off.

I understand how that must sound, but at the same time... if someone eats animals and their products, they ARE causing pain and suffering to creatures I care dearly about. It's hard for me personally to navigate these kinds of situations socially. On the one hand, I don't want to preach at people and be rude. On the other hand, I don't know how to not speak up when I think an injustice is taking place and that others are ignorant or uncaring about it. I usually don't bring it up on the assumption that people can do their own research, but when people are saying patently ignorant things around me (like someone announcing to the dinner table that the commercial dairy industry is healthy for cows because they love that they get milked each day), I don't know how to handle that tactfully.

In my entire life, I've never had a dinner table conversation about the commercial dairy industry... I wonder how the topic came up?
  • PRMinx
    Options

I was with you until this comment. It's not your responsibility, nor will it ever be your responsibility, to make sure animal eaters "understand the pain involved." It's THAT mentality that turns people off.

I understand how that must sound, but at the same time... if someone eats animals and their products, they ARE causing pain and suffering to creatures I care dearly about. It's hard for me personally to navigate these kinds of situations socially. On the one hand, I don't want to preach at people and be rude. On the other hand, I don't know how to not speak up when I think an injustice is taking place and that others are ignorant or uncaring about it. I usually don't bring it up on the assumption that people can do their own research, but when people are saying patently ignorant things around me (like someone announcing to the dinner table that the commercial dairy industry is healthy for cows because they love that they get milked each day), I don't know how to handle that tactfully.

In my entire life, I've never had a dinner table conversation about the commercial dairy industry... I wonder how the topic came up?

Ha, me either.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

So basically I do not like to start conflicts, but I think that it's important that those who are eating animal products know where they've come from and understand the pain involved. If they are still aware of this and choose to eat them, although I don't agree, I won't criticise them on it. I am not sure how relevant my bit was :smiley:

You pretty much just epitomized in that last paragraph why many people don't like vegans. As it's been stated, not everyone needs you educating them. Those who want to be educated about the subject will typically seek it out themselves, as I have done. But if you stand there lecturing me while I'm ordering a bacon cheese burger I can assure you it will not end well for you.
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Lucy-Hale-No-Idea-Whats-Going-On-Here-Reaction-Gif.gif
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Ha, me either.

I've asked an uncle who produces corn, soybeans, and cotton about round-up ready (GMO) crops and pesticide use at a dinner table before.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

How is leading a vegan lifestyle any form of discipline or dedication? Most people who choose this route do so because it is what they want to do. They don't eat meat or animal products for a variety of reasons, but in the end, it is something that they want to do.

One has to be disciplined to NOT do something they want to do, like not eating that chocolate bar; or disciplined to do something that they do not want to do, like getting up every morning at the crack of dawn to work out. Dedication is continuing to do things that you don't want to do, or continuing to not do things that you want to do.

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

So basically I do not like to start conflicts, but I think that it's important that those who are eating animal products know where they've come from and understand the pain involved. If they are still aware of this and choose to eat them, although I don't agree, I won't criticise them on it. I am not sure how relevant my bit was :smiley:

You pretty much just epitomized in that last paragraph why many people don't like vegans. As it's been stated, not everyone needs you educating them. Those who want to be educated about the subject will typically seek it out themselves, as I have done. But if you stand there lecturing me while I'm ordering a bacon cheese burger I can assure you it will not end well for you.

So it's basically like she's a jehovah's witness minus the door to door. Can't say I agree, I don't like people educating me about their religion either, I don't want your friggin pamphlet and I get enough knocks on my door from people trying to sell me crap. If someone asks then share, otherwise it's just unwelcome and breeds hostility against all vegans, preachy ones or not, and the or not ones don't deserve others hostility because of someone else.

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I understand how that must sound, but at the same time... if someone eats animals and their products, they ARE causing pain and suffering to creatures I care dearly about. It's hard for me personally to navigate these kinds of situations socially. On the one hand, I don't want to preach at people and be rude. On the other hand, I don't know how to not speak up when I think an injustice is taking place and that others are ignorant or uncaring about it. I usually don't bring it up on the assumption that people can do their own research, but when people are saying patently ignorant things around me (like someone announcing to the dinner table that the commercial dairy industry is healthy for cows because they love that they get milked each day), I don't know how to keep my mouth shut.

Well, then that's your problem. These are problems we all have every day when we believe in and care about something. People drive me nuts with the political conversation - I chose not to engage. I personally choose to smile, nod and move on with my life, making my difference in the way that I vote.

You can make your difference in the way that you eat. Trying to pursuade people to believe in what you believe in never works and it's annoying.

It's not your responsibility to educate me. And it's condescending to assume that I (or other meat eaters) have not educated themselves.

Yes, I usually do what you do. But, to be fair... most people haven't educated themselves about where their food comes from and what is in it. I don't assume about people specifically (meaning I don't assume that you personally don't know since I don't know you) but about people in general... lots of ignorance about all sorts of things, not just animal related. Like my friend who told me he was obese because he wasn't eating enough and his body was in starvation mode and turning everything to fat, all while eating a snack in front of me that probably had 1000 calories in it. The "I want so bad to educate you, bless your heart" impulse was strong within me. I am an educator for a living (college professor) so it is is a well-ingrained impulse that I am suppressing.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »

How is leading a vegan lifestyle any form of discipline or dedication? Most people who choose this route do so because it is what they want to do. They don't eat meat or animal products for a variety of reasons, but in the end, it is something that they want to do.

One has to be disciplined to NOT do something they want to do, like not eating that chocolate bar; or disciplined to do something that they do not want to do, like getting up every morning at the crack of dawn to work out. Dedication is continuing to do things that you don't want to do, or continuing to not do things that you want to do.

I like you.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    My animals live very, very happy lives, they are very well cared for and I do not cause them any pain or suffering, ever. They are loved in life... and in death.

P.S. I lived the vegetarian lifestyle for 5 years.

lol

86bapd051wmw.gif

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

So it's basically like she's a jehovah's witness minus the door to door. Can't say I agree, I don't like people educating me about their religion either, I don't want your friggin pamphlet and I get enough knocks on my door from people trying to sell me crap. If someone asks then share, otherwise it's just unwelcome and breeds hostility against all vegans, preachy ones or not, and the or not ones don't deserve others hostility because of someone else.

I'd ask you to marry me, but I get turned off by women with mustaches.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    I raise adorable little goats to eat. They ARE tasty. As well as the chickens. And deer. And Turkey...

Meet Dinner. :-)

f5n5gk8z0ka1.jpg

wow what an original post ive never seen a carnivore respond this way to veganisim in all my years you must be some kind of revolutionary fighting the good fight against all evil vegans not murdering animals to satisfy their stomachs!! wow much bravery

The above? That's why people hate vegans.

Good. If not responding in a positive way to a disgusting post makes people hate me Im glad