Vegan hate

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why do people get so mad when they find out that I am vegan? Like they get really mad and tell me that people were meant to eat meat. My being vegan only comes out if I am having to order food.

I don't know...a lot of vegans are pretty preachy.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've had soo many negative experiences with vegans that it's not even funny. I don't want to find out after we're already at a restaurant that a new acquaintance is vegan, especially if they haven't bothered to do any research about the restaurant we're going to and instead expects the cook to make them their own pot of soup or some other crazy request.

I've had one positive vegan experience, they picked the restaurant, but it was omnivore and vegan friendly and everything was clearly labeled. Really easy for either of us to order, no problem.

BUT, just as a couple examples, I've gone to a Mcdonalds with a group after a theme park visit and had a vegan 'acquaintance' sobbing in there and yelling at everyone that they were supporting the torture of animals and so on. She could've just bloody well told us that she was vegan BEFORE we went to McDonalds. We could've gone to a local grocery store instead where she could have picked something and the rest of us could have gone to the deli or something.

Another experience was at a chain restaurant. This vegan wanted soup, but not made with beef stock. The waiter told her that the soup is made in huge batches at the beginning of the day and that they couldn't really make a soup with a vegetable stock on such short notice. She absolutely insisted! There was all kinds of things that the waiter suggested that could be vegan, but she insisted on the soup. TWO HOURS later they bring out all our food, the rest of our food is cold and then she doesn't like her soup and has the nerve to send it back and then order one of the bean salads that had been suggested originally. We left after closing and the rest of us were mortified.

It's experiences like that which make me wince when someone tells me they are vegan even though it's a lifestyle I've attempted a couple times.

I just can't stand rude people or people who insist that waitstaff and other low paid employees go out of their way to fulfill special requests. I feel that way about ALL rude people in restaurants, vegan, vegetarian or omnivore. You send your perfectly acceptable food back? I'm not eating with you again. It's like that. You insist that the restaurant make you something that they don't even have on the menu? I don't want to hang out with you. Now, it's one thing if it's a one plate dish or something that all gets cooked in the same skillet and you can request an ingredient be held back, that's cool, but insisting on something drastic is just rude.

If you have special dietary restrictions, know what you can order before you go. That is all.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    paperfrost wrote: »
    I think a lot of it boils down to envy that you've made a conscious choice to better your lifestyle or make a change that you feel benefits the world that a lot of people don't have the discipline to carry through with.

I envy vegans too to some degree for their capacity to modify their diets to that degree, but I don't allow it to feed an inferiority complex. Keep doing what you're doing and hold your chin up!

Uh-huh. I know I certainly envy people who do the things that have absolutely zero interest in doing.

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I've never met a vegan who didn't try to make me feel bad for eating meat.

You probably have you just don't know it.

like saying Ive never met a gay person, not everyone announces it cause it's no ones business

bet you've met some murderers, pedo's, animal abusers, nudists(nothing wrong with nudist just not something you announce) etc too. I wonder about this sometimes....how many of these people have I met in my life, was I nice to them..........god I hope not, except for the nudists I'm ok with that.

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Its the same with any lifestyle that is different, the eyebrow goes up and you can see the smirk coming. Im not a vegan or vegetarian but eat a lot of vegetarian meals as that is what agrees with my stomach. I would love a good steak but I would be in agony for days afterwards, so I limit my meat consumption. I dont feel a need to justify my food choices to anyone but me.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was an omnivore for years and heard the stereotype of preachy vegans, saw a few on social media but not in person. I'm sure a few exist. But when I became vegetarian I started getting hate and anger that I was totally unprepared for. Not just with comments on social media but in my face at the dinner table. Not just someone having a different opinion than me and having a polite conversation or curious questions. I'm talking about raised voices, quoting scriptures at me angrily to show that GOD thinks I'm wrong and disobedient, scrutinizing and nit-picking my diet and my food, calling me names like 'hypocrite' for various choices that I made for reasons that they never asked about or tried to understand (like having some old leather shoes bought long ago that I didn't just throw away... or eating something that had a trace of dairy in it because there literally was nothing else I could eat at Christmas dinner), dumb jokes being told at my expense. It was very hurtful and stressful for a while. I just didn't understand why someone would care what I eat, especially when it was motivated by compassion and a desire to do less harm. It was hard enough trying to figure out how to eat a new way and to fit in during social occasions where there weren't many options for me. People in my life made it worse with the jokes and arguments--I left a few meals in tears from feeling beat up and rejected. I've gotten a thicker skin about it now and most people in my life just accept it now, but you all who are meat-eaters have no idea how unbalanced the hostility is.

As for the why, I think some people just want to be right about things and we are making a choice that implies they are wrong... Ordering the vegan option--even if you are doing it politely and without comment--implies a moral/ethical stand on something. It is like walking around with a t-shirt that is pro-life... or against gay marriage... or pro-Obama... or pro-gun-control... or whatever. Any open statement that you believe that X is good and Y is bad in a crowd of people who might be happily liking/doing Y. Even if you are smiling and shaking their hand, they can't help but notice that you are simultaneously taking a stand against something they do. So they argue with what they think is in your mind, not what you actually did and said... In some cases getting mad and calling you the preachy one merely for fighting back while being ganged up on by a whole table of people. A lot of what I hear people call "preachy vegans" is not actual preaching, but just someone defending themselves. Or daring to have a different viewpoint about something important to them and expressing it. That is not preaching, that is a conversation where someone fails to tell you that you are awesome and right about everything!

The thing that is different about a vegan and the person with the "I Heart Obama" button is that he/she can take off the button and blend in the crowd if they happen to find themselves at a Tea Party rally. :) But with me, I really can't (metaphorically) take the button off at the steakhouse or cookout because just ordering the meal (or passing up something the host grilled) or asking about ingredient for my own knowledge is "advertising" that I'm a vegan among carnivores. Often at a dinner table where I am captive (unless I leave the table in a huff) and forced to deal with an unpleasant conversation during a moment that used to be a bonding experience (sharing a meal with friends).

I don't think the push-back I get is necessarily a guilty-conscience thing, just a "I wanna be right" thing that is not exclusive to omnivores. The same people who tell me God doesn't like my diet would probably start a political fight if someone who voted for the opposing candidate came to dinner. Actually, I have witnessed them doing that..... I have met a few people who truly did have guilt about meat-eating, but they were not angry. They were open about it and curious about how I was making this work for me because they were thinking of following the same path. So I wish vegans wouldn't say that all omnivores are guilty, it is really quite condescending to act as if you know someone's mind and to quote as proof of secretly agreeing with you is that they... disagree?
  • jnichel
    Options
    I raise adorable little goats to eat. They ARE tasty. As well as the chickens. And deer. And Turkey...

Meet Dinner. :-)

f5n5gk8z0ka1.jpg

oh how could you be friends with that cute goat and then eat it. I bet you gave them a name too.

I used to raise hogs for show when I was in FFA. I named the first three piglets I ever got: "Ham", "Pork Chop" and "Bacon"
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Some of it's probably backlash from the reputation vegans have of being judgmental/snarky. (Not saying you're that way or all vegans are that way; it's just a stereotype.)

Also, people are awful.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    frootbabe wrote: »
    Since it has been brought up many times that vegans will try to guilt those who eat meat, or try to get them to stop eating it, I'd like to put in my 2 cents.

I never initiate discussions about dietary choices, but if there is food involved and I ask about vegan options, usually someone who is curious will ask me about my choice. Often this is done aggressively like, "You do know that being vegan is unhealthy and you need animal products to be live". In this case I will explain how I prefer to take this small risk in order to withdraw my support of animal cruelty. As I do not wish to generalise, this is only one scenario.

Other times I will be asked why, in a friendly manner, and of course I will still tell them why I do it (poor living conditions, us feeling superior by taking a life for our pleasure/benefit).

The only other time I will give my input is if it is brought up that eating animal products is healthy. There have been many studies showing otherwise. I'm not saying that you can't be healthy and eat animal products, but they are not necessary to be healthy and eating them in excess is quite unhealthy.

So basically I do not like to start conflicts, but I think that it's important that those who are eating animal products know where they've come from and understand the pain involved.
    If they are still aware of this and choose to eat them, although I don't agree, I won't criticise them on it. I am not sure how relevant my bit was[ :smiley:

Um... The italicized part is obviously not true.
  • paperfrost
    paperfrost Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    I think a lot of it boils down to envy that you've made a conscious choice to better your lifestyle or make a change that you feel benefits the world that a lot of people don't have the discipline to carry through with.

I envy vegans too to some degree for their capacity to modify their diets to that degree, but I don't allow it to feed an inferiority complex. Keep doing what you're doing and hold your chin up!

Uh-huh. I know I certainly envy people who do the things that have absolutely zero interest in doing.

It's not about the diet, it's about the discipline. I envy people who choose to give up years of their life to work in humanitarian aid while simultaneously knowing that I don't want to be in their situation. When someone makes significant effort to accomplish something, there are inevitably people whose sense of self worth is threatened by it and react with hostility.
  • jnichel
    Options

like saying Ive never met a gay person, not everyone announces it cause it's no ones business

bet you've met some murderers, pedo's, animal abusers, nudists(nothing wrong with nudist just not something you announce) etc too. I wonder about this sometimes....how many of these people have I met in my life, was I nice to them..........god I hope not, except for the nudists I'm ok with that.

Good points. One of my best friends is gay. I knew him for a year before I found out that he was gay. All groups have their loud bunch that have to tell you how they are, and they give the rest a bad rap.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Since it has been brought up many times that vegans will try to guilt those who eat meat, or try to get them to stop eating it, I'd like to put in my 2 cents.

I never initiate discussions about dietary choices, but if there is food involved and I ask about vegan options, usually someone who is curious will ask me about my choice. Often this is done aggressively like, "You do know that being vegan is unhealthy and you need animal products to be live". In this case I will explain how I prefer to take this small risk in order to withdraw my support of animal cruelty. As I do not wish to generalise, this is only one scenario.

Other times I will be asked why, in a friendly manner, and of course I will still tell them why I do it (poor living conditions, us feeling superior by taking a life for our pleasure/benefit).

The only other time I will give my input is if it is brought up that eating animal products is healthy. There have been many studies showing otherwise. I'm not saying that you can't be healthy and eat animal products, but they are not necessary to be healthy and eating them in excess is quite unhealthy.

So basically I do not like to start conflicts, but I think that it's important that those who are eating animal products know where they've come from and understand the pain involved.
    If they are still aware of this and choose to eat them, although I don't agree, I won't criticise them on it. I am not sure how relevant my bit was[ :smiley:

Any chance they could actually supply said studies? And I mean studies, not opinion/blog pieces.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Any chance they could actually supply said studies? And I mean studies, not opinion/blog pieces.

meh, then you people then say something along the lines of "it's just a questionnaire" and discount it...
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Maybe the people getting mad have had experience with a vegan or vegetarian who irritated the hell out of them, so they've become defensive. My granddaughter lives with me and decided to be vegetarian like her best friend. No problem. I bought protein bars for her so she could take them for lunch at school or eat when the rest of the family is having meat, I make sure I include a couple of vegetarian side dishes with dinner, I make vegetarian meals, I keep nuts and nut butters in the house, and sometimes it seems that all I get are complaints "I'm sick and tired of eating side dishes; I need to eat more food but you don't make enough vegetarian food; all you made that I can eat is mashed potatoes, rolls, and salad...." on and on and on Or she walks into the kitchen and sees that I'm marinating a roast or something and says 'ewwwwwwwwwww!" I tell you - I'm getting sick and tired of it, and that kind of translates to getting sick and tired of vegetarians and vegans in general.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

It's not about the diet, it's about the discipline. I envy people who choose to give up years of their life to work in humanitarian aid while simultaneously knowing that I don't want to be in their situation. When someone makes significant effort to accomplish something, there are inevitably people whose sense of self worth is threatened by it and react with hostility.

I don't envy vegans for their discipline - because I practice discipline in many areas of my life.

And to consider veganism as showing discipline, one must have an inherent belief that veganism is the better way or an accomplishment in and of itself. To some people, it is because it's their goal. To me, it isn't because it is not my goal.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

meh, then you people then say something along the lines of "it's just a questionnaire" and discount it...

LOL, "you people"
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Good points. One of my best friends is gay. I knew him for a year before I found out that he was gay. All groups have their loud bunch that have to tell you how they are, and they give the rest a bad rap.

Thank you, it's obviously something that really bothers her because she has posted like 20(exaggeration) times now. Just wanted to point out that you really shouldn't paint a group of people with the same brush, otherwise at some point you will stick your foot in your mouth (but hey she can eat it cause she eats meat ;).) BTW I am not Vegan, just believe it is ignorant to judge an entire group by the actions of some. That's how racism can operate too.

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I was with you until this comment. It's not your responsibility, nor will it ever be your responsibility, to make sure animal eaters "understand the pain involved." It's THAT mentality that turns people off.

I understand how that must sound, but at the same time... if someone eats animals and their products, they ARE causing pain and suffering to creatures I care dearly about. It's hard for me personally to navigate these kinds of situations socially. On the one hand, I don't want to preach at people and be rude. On the other hand, I don't know how to not speak up when I think an injustice is taking place and that others are ignorant or uncaring about it. I usually don't bring it up on the assumption that people can do their own research, but when people are saying patently ignorant things around me (like someone announcing to the dinner table that the commercial dairy industry is healthy for cows because they love that they get milked each day), I don't know how to handle that tactfully.
  • jnichel
    Options

Thank you, it's obviously something that really bothers her because she has posted like 20(exaggeration) times now. Just wanted to point out that you really shouldn't paint a group of people with the same brush, otherwise at some point you will stick your foot in your mouth (but hey she can eat it cause she eats meat ;).) BTW I am not Vegan, just believe it is ignorant to judge an entire group by the actions of some. That's how racism can operate too.

Oh sure, say all the right things and then tell me that you're NOT a vegan. WHY MUST YOU PUSH YOUR VIEWS ON ME????

Say, are you going to finish that steak? :p
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I was with you until this comment. It's not your responsibility, nor will it ever be your responsibility, to make sure animal eaters "understand the pain involved." It's THAT mentality that turns people off.

I understand how that must sound, but at the same time... if someone eats animals and their products, they ARE causing pain and suffering to creatures I care dearly about. It's hard for me personally to navigate these kinds of situations socially. On the one hand, I don't want to preach at people and be rude. On the other hand, I don't know how to not speak up when I think an injustice is taking place and that others are ignorant or uncaring about it. I usually don't bring it up on the assumption that people can do their own research, but when people are saying patently ignorant things around me (like someone announcing to the dinner table that the commercial dairy industry is healthy for cows because they love that they get milked each day), I don't know how to keep my mouth shut.

Well, then that's your problem. These are problems we all have every day when we believe in and care about something. People drive me nuts with the political conversation - I chose not to engage. I personally choose to smile, nod and move on with my life, making my difference in the way that I vote.

You can make your difference in the way that you eat. Trying to pursuade people to believe in what you believe in never works and it's annoying.

It's not your responsibility to educate me. And it's condescending to assume that I (or other meat eaters) have not educated themselves.