Just for Today

Options
I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 30 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will commit today so I won't regret tomorrow. (stolen from someone else:blushing: )
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    "Just for today" is an awesome mantra that fits so many, many situations. Some say "just for today" I will not be angry, I will not be sad, I will not really slap stupid people, I will not hurt myself, I will not......... Apply the saying as needed; it works!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will commit today so I won't regret tomorrow. (stolen from someone else:blushing: )
    I think this what actually what I was trying to say...
    Keep it going in the right direction

*Thanks for the new thread Kate:flowerforyou:
  • nowucme
    nowucme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think I can do this.
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't know you but your story sounds a lot like mine when I first started. I read a book by Bob Harper called "Are you ready?". He has some writing excercises to do about your relationship with food. It changed my life. I am learning to not give food power (healthy or not) over me. I started my journey 131 days ago at 402.6 lbs. I could barely move. Today I have lost 73.8 lbs and I have walked three 5K's. I still have treats but I plan it into my calorie count. Before I eat the treat I ask myself, "Why do you want this? Are you hungry, angry, celebrating, etc? Once I know the reason then I make the choice. I try very hard not to eat my emotions (sadness, loneliness, boredom, anger, happy, etc). Since i have come to recogonize when I am using food to stuff my feelings it no longer soothes those feelings. I hope you can figure out what works for you. I think saying "Just for today" is the first step in taking control of your choices.

Best of luck.
    I just read that this is a continuing post. So "Just for today" I will get up and walk so my legs, heart and mind can be healthy.
    Love your story.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,296 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Kate.

Just for today: I will stay within my calorie range, walk with the puppy, complete all my challenges and not worry about yesterday or tomorrow.

Chris
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I don't know you but your story sounds a lot like mine when I first started. I read a book by Bob Harper called "Are you ready?". He has some writing excercises to do about your relationship with food. It changed my life. I am learning to not give food power (healthy or not) over me. I started my journey 131 days ago at 402.6 lbs. I could barely move. Today I have lost 73.8 lbs and I have walked three 5K's. I still have treats but I plan it into my calorie count. Before I eat the treat I ask myself, "Why do you want this? Are you hungry, angry, celebrating, etc? Once I know the reason then I make the choice. I try very hard not to eat my emotions (sadness, loneliness, boredom, anger, happy, etc). Since i have come to recogonize when I am using food to stuff my feelings it no longer soothes those feelings. I hope you can figure out what works for you. I think saying "Just for today" is the first step in taking control of your choices.

Best of luck.
    I just read that this is a continuing post. So "Just for today" I will get up and walk so my legs, heart and mind can be healthy.
    Love your story.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I have let stress push me in to a lot of bad choices, food wise.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just For Today: I will not take the easy way.
  • cpanus
    Options
    Just For Today: I will leave the trail mix in the cupboard.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will not get in my own way!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Just for Today: I will not get in my own way!
    You are in my mind Kate :):) SUCH a good one!

Just for Today: I will keep moving... lots to do... reward my hard work with a lovely nice cool salad after a nice cool bath. (not meaning I think it's good to reward with food but...making a salad is a bit of work so that's why it's also a reward....b-cuz it's healthy too...mmm, plus it's almost dinner time. hee hee)

Love all of your "Just For Todays" everyone... always so full of inspiration when I leave this thread... each of you that takes time to comment is a Joy on this list!:love::heart:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    :drinker:
    Just For Today: I will leave the trail mix in the cupboard.
    :drinker:
  • CSK26
    CSK26 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love this... Just for today... It will help me to continue to achieve.... Loved your story. :smile:
  • cpanus
    Options
    Just for today: I will remember how far I've come and celebrate that (down 62 pounds) instead of beating myself up for what I haven't accomplished yet (8 pounds).
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Just For Today: I will stop messing around.
  • cpanus
    Options
    Just for Today: I will not listen to the pantry music.
  • cpanus
    Options
    Just for Today: I will not let the number on the scale get me down!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will do it for ME!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Just for Today: I will do it for ME!

:heart: Gonna have to borrow this one Kate... it's nearly word for word exactly what I was starting to type. thank you!:love:

Today I will do this for ME
  • cpanus
    Options
    Just for Today: I will get back to what I know works.